PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Air Colour Gamut

yabot
Aug 11, 2013, 11:20 AM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading from a 13 inch 2010 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air Haswell.

Apart from choosing between the 11 and 13 inch, my only concern is the screen is not as good.
My girlfriend recently got one and when side by side the screen on my old macbook pro is far superior in terms of colours with deeper blacks and whiter whites, her screen looks a little beige in colour for some reason.

Im asking is there anyway to fix this, i know you can calibrate screens but don't know a thing about it, i dont do any photography or anything but i like my tech to work and look as it should.

Thanks

yabot
Aug 11, 2013, 01:49 PM
no one? thought this was a big issue?

robvas
Aug 11, 2013, 02:04 PM
Anandtech has the screen specs in their reviews. Be aware that there are two different types of screens (Samsung and LG) and the 11" and 13" of course have different screens either way.

The Pro does have the better screen, however.

pickaxe
Aug 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
IIRC it's something like 60% of the sRGB gamut aka mediocre. Don't let the fanboys convince you that this is the jesus of ultraportable screens - it's not. It's just fine for non-color sensitive work though.

Apple fanboy
Aug 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
no one? thought this was a big issue?

You could try calibrating it to improve the look. A ColorMunki display or i1 pro will solve some of the issues. If as pickaxe suggests its only 60% of the SRGB colour space, then it will always be limited.