PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Streams Home Sharing Movies with Computer Shut Off

ma1nstr3am
Aug 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
How can an Apple TV connected to home sharing on a network stream videos from a computer that is completely shut off? I ask this because I've discovered I can do this and am puzzled as I thought the latest Apple TV had no hard drive and to stream videos from your computer through Home Sharing you had to have that computer that has the videos on and connected to the same network as the Apple TV streaming the videos.

stridemat
Aug 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
How can an Apple TV connected to home sharing on a network stream videos from a computer that is completely shut off? I ask this because I've discovered I can do this and am puzzled as I thought the latest Apple TV had no hard drive and to stream videos from your computer through Home Sharing you had to have that computer that has the videos on and connected to the same network as the Apple TV streaming the videos.

It can't. Are these movies which have been 'buffered' as it where and thus stored on the internal memory? Can you open new movies / tv shows with the mac shut off?

ZeRoLiMiT
Aug 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
it can't computer has to be on. If its not on the appletv wont be able to read the movies

ma1nstr3am
Aug 11, 2013, 02:34 PM
I understand it's not supposed to but it is. I was very surprised when it was happening. These aren't even movies from the iTunes Store. I walked over to my computer and it was shut off and monitor closed. I don't have any other computers. How can buffered videos be stored on the Apple TV when the Apple TV doesn't even have a space for data storage?

waw74
Aug 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
it was shut off and monitor closed.

Shut off as in powered down? or sleeping?

do you have an airport of any kind on the network?
if could be sleep proxy related. (the airport will listen for requests for a sleeping computer, and wake up the computer) it's possible for you laptop to power up withe the screen closed.

it's also possible that it's power nap related.

Apple TV doesn't even have a space for data storage?

it does, it has 8GB of flash.
It's possible if you started watching the movie with the computer on, and the aTV buffered it to local storage before you shut off your computer. (not sure if it does this for local media, but it's how the iTunes store downloads work.)

stridemat
Aug 11, 2013, 02:43 PM
I understand it's not supposed to but it is. I was very surprised when it was happening. These aren't even movies from the iTunes Store. I walked over to my computer and it was shut off and monitor closed. I don't have any other computers. How can buffered videos be stored on the Apple TV when the Apple TV doesn't even have a space for data storage?

It does have on-board storage, from memory 8GB. When you load a video, both from the iTunes store and your own personal iTunes library it effectively buffers it (the time bar fills with a white colour).

ma1nstr3am
Aug 11, 2013, 02:47 PM
Shut off as in powered down? or sleeping?

do you have an airport of any kind on the network?
if could be sleep proxy related. (the airport will listen for requests for a sleeping computer, and wake up the computer) it's possible for you laptop to power up withe the screen closed.

it's also possible that it's power nap related.

it does, it has 8GB of flash.
It's possible if you started watching the movie with the computer on, and the aTV buffered it to local storage before you shut off your computer. (not sure if it does this for local media, but it's how the iTunes store downloads work.)

No AirPort on the WiFi network. The computer was in sleep mode, my mistake. But I didn't think Home Sharing could be active from a computer that's asleep.

----------

It does have on-board storage, from memory 8GB. When you load a video, both from the iTunes store and your own personal iTunes library it effectively buffers it (the time bar fills with a white colour).

Looking at the tech specs at Apples official website, it doesn't say anywhere 8GB flash. Not saying your wrong but it's interesting Apple didn't post this.

stridemat
Aug 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
It's not traditional storage per say, more used by the system for caching purposes. No need to advertise it as its not user accessible.

ma1nstr3am
Aug 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
I checked my iPhone and iPad as those actually do home sharing also. I wasn't even signed into them. The only thing that was possible is that Mac's in sleep mode can still have active home sharing as the load of videos I have is much greater than 8GB. Perhaps I have an accidental prototype? ; )

matt2053
Aug 11, 2013, 05:48 PM
I checked my iPhone and iPad as those actually do home sharing also. I wasn't even signed into them. The only thing that was possible is that Mac's in sleep mode can still have active home sharing as the load of videos I have is much greater than 8GB. Perhaps I have an accidental prototype? ; )

Home Sharing can wake a sleeping Mac and stream from it. It's normal. It's a feature called "Wake on LAN."

ma1nstr3am
Aug 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
Even with the lid closed?

Lord Hamsa
Aug 12, 2013, 07:32 AM
Yes. I believe, starting with Lion, that OS X supports a "low power wake on LAN" mode where it can serve external file requests while not "waking up" things like the monitor or other peripherals. This type of video streaming was the first thing I thought of when I heard about the feature, though general network file services can make use of it too.

wzz
Aug 12, 2013, 07:46 AM
it works on sleep mode.

my mac mini is usually asleep the entire day, and i use it like a vpn server and itunes server.
[1+ to low power wake on LAN]

KeepCalmPeople
Sep 7, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have my iTunes library on a USB external hard drive connected to my retina MacBook Pro. The wake on LAN is enabled, and I've disabled putting hard drives to sleep (although I suspect that might apply to internal hard drives). My configuration doesn't seem to work - my Apple TV tries to read my library but fails after about 30 seconds when my rMBP is asleep.