Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carguy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I have had my computer for a little over a month now and I have been experiencing high temperatures while just surfing the internet and even worse while playing games. While surfing on Safari or watching Netflix on Safari I range in temps from 45-60 degrees Celsius.

The biggest issue is when I play games such as Surgeon Simulator or CSR Racing my CPU temp average is 90-95 degrees Celsius. My fan also runs around 5000-6000 RPM.

Is this normal for all of you?

TL;DR - my computer runs hot

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I have had my computer for a little over a month now and I have been experiencing high temperatures while just surfing the internet and even worse while playing games. While surfing on Safari or watching Netflix on Safari I range in temps from 45-60 degrees Celsius.

The biggest issue is when I play games such as Surgeon Simulator or CSR Racing my CPU temp average is 90-95 degrees Celsius. My fan also runs around 5000-6000 RPM.

What's your configuration?
Did you purchase AppleCare? (sorry if obvious question)

carguy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
What's your configuration?
Did you purchase AppleCare? (sorry if obvious question)

Whoops sorry forgot to leave that important information out. No I do not have AppleCare but I have a 13'' i5 with 8gb RAM and a 256 gb ssd

----------

45-60C? Yes, that's fine. Don't worry about it.

But what about the 90C while playing games

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
It is completely fine. Your laptop will shut itself off if the temperature is critical.

Not a bad idea to give your laptop some breathing room after a couple hours of intense sweating though.

carguy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
It is completely fine. Your laptop will shut itself off if the temperature is critical.

Not a bad idea to give your laptop some breathing room after a couple hours of intense sweating though.

But it is at a high temperature and the fans are going only after like two minutes of playing the game

alepjr

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
I have same problem here. My mbp retina fan is spinning so fast when playing csr racing. I wonder what's happening here. :confused:

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
But it is at a high temperature and the fans are going only after like two minutes of playing the game

The processor gets hot and needs to be cooled. It doesn't matter if it's 2 minutes or 2 hours, but it is load dependent. I found the same on my MBA when I installed WoW and attempted to play - instant fans.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Consensus is, the Air is not really for heavy gaming, so it will run hot there, normal.

Surfing 40-60c? Seems a tad warm to me, but then I usually have a few open tabs and NO running flash video. Fire up a flash video, youtube etc and yeah that will get you up to 60c.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Mine usually runs in the 40-60C range. Not a problem. You are just stressing yourself about nothing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

All of your temps are perfectly normal. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all notebooks in the MacBook line (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.