PDA

View Full Version : Music made on a Roland DJ-70, ca. 1993

mcdj
Aug 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
If anyone cares, these are some (actually the only ones ever) tracks I made when I wore a younger man's clothes. La da da di dee da. Sample driven stuff, downtempo electronica if you had to categorize it.

All tracks made with totally unauthorized, lawsuit-ready samples, sampled by hand via portable CD Player, triggered live in real time on the DJ-70's keyboard, and recorded live to mini disc. (Yes i am old) The DJ-70 had a rudimentary sequencer built in I think, but I could never figure it out, so I'd just rehearse a couple of times then record.

It's sloppy. Some tracks are way too long and repetitive. Most actually. Beats go off. But there are some happy accidents, and somehow, even after 20 years, to my ears, some of it still sounds fresh. YMMV.

https://soundcloud.com/rkny

Thanks to Stevie Wonder, Soul Coughing, Led Zeppelin, Dave Brubeck, Heatwave, Vince Guaraldi, St. Etienne, Janet Jackson, the monks of Chant, and a bunch of other people I've since forgotten.

CelestialToys
Aug 12, 2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for sharing.

considering the way these were made they sound pretty good :)

nothing wrong with being a bit rough around the edges, makes a change from the strictly quantised stuff we usually hear these days

can you tell me where the baseline at the start of prettygirl comes from, I recognise it but can't place it

mcdj
Aug 12, 2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for sharing.

considering the way these were made they sound pretty good :)

nothing wrong with being a bit rough around the edges, makes a change from the strictly quantised stuff we usually hear these days

can you tell me where the baseline at the start of prettygirl comes from, I recognise it but can't place it

wow an actual reply! thanks. the bass on that track is from Soul Coughing, "Uh, Zoom Zip". Amazing bass player who played a standup that sounded like Cypress Hill.