PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 20" iMac!!!

Kengineer
Nov 17, 2005, 02:58 PM
After waiting a month I was happy to receive my iMac a few days ago!

I have been browsing the forums for potential problems with the new iMacs, but luckily I think mine has passed all of the lemon tests. I was wondering about reinstalliing my OS. It seems some people like to reinstall thier OS on receipt of their new mac. Is there a reason for this? Is there a bunch of useless stuff preinstalled or something of that nature? Thanks for the help ahead of time, I am a former PC user and need a little help in getting up to speed on Apple's standard practices.

Josh396
Nov 17, 2005, 03:09 PM
After waiting a month I was happy to receive my iMac a few days ago!

I have been browsing the forums for potential problems with the new iMacs, but luckily I think mine has passed all of the lemon tests. I was wondering about reinstalliing my OS. It seems some people like to reinstall thier OS on receipt of their new mac. Is there a reason for this? Is there a bunch of useless stuff preinstalled or something of that nature? Thanks for the help ahead of time, I am a former PC user and need a little help in getting up to speed on Apple's standard practices.
First off congratulations. Personally I don't see the need to reinstall the OS if it's a new machine but there are some people that really like to. I guess if you want to go ahead.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back. ;)

Danksi
Nov 17, 2005, 03:56 PM
....It seems some people like to reinstall thier OS on receipt of their new mac. Is there a reason for this?

I guess it's to remove the trial software that comes pre-installed with a new machine, assuming it's not included on the re-install disks. Another reason could be it allows people to select some additional install options.

The trial software is fairly easy to spot and remove... but is generally worth trialling.