Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from last week that showed a clear photo of an alleged camera module, French website Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translation] has reposted photos of parts that appear to be the top and bottom strips for the back of the iPhone 5S. The photos were originally posted by a user on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo who regularly pulls together photos and other leaks from various sources.

Notably, the space for the flash modules on the top strip appear to have spacing for a dual-LED flash, which is consistent with a December 2012 prototype iPhone 5S that leaked back in June. A dual-LED flash would improve the performance of the iPhone's flash, creating better lit, less harsh flash photos in low light conditions.

iphone5s_top_strip-800x544.jpg
Yesterday, a report surfaced claiming that the rear camera on the iPhone 5S would retain the same 8-megapixel resolution found in its predecessor, but will feature a wider f/2.0 aperture to capture more light while taking photos. Apple will reportedly unveil the next-generation iPhone on September 10, but it is still unclear whether the event will focus singularly on the iPhone 5S or include the announcement of the lower-cost iPhone as well.

Article Link: Photos of Top Strip of iPhone 5S Rear Shell Again Point to Dual-LED Flash

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Just ready to get the phone. Got my iPhone 5 buyer lined up already...just need Apple to start selling this thing.

HussamRaed

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
WOW, leaks have been going all crazy since the date announcement. "Double down on secrecy" :confused: .

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
My dream of a surprise iPhone 6 announcement is officially dead !
Oh well

Why? 5S is just the name the press has given the next iPhone. It could very well be called the iPhone 6. Who knows what Apple is going to do. iPhone 5S and 5C seem too close to each other. I think there will be an iPhone 6 and 5C announced in September.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Too. Many. Leaks. I remember being surprised in the old days (say, pre-iPhone 4S). Apple should form a special rumour and secret leaks disinformation team in order to "double down" on secrecy.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I found this on Patently Apple posted April 07, 2011...

"The iOS device has a camera function for taking a picture, where a controller is to command a camera flash to produce two or more multi-value coded pulses of light during a single shutter cycle of the picture. As redefined here, the term "camera flash" is not limited to elements that produce only visible light pulses; the camera flash could also, or alternatively, produce non-visible light pulses that can be reflected from moving objects in the scene and then detected by an imaging sensor (as a picture of the scene with the moving object).

The flash in Apple's patent is described in terms of having multiple LED lamps each of which could be driven by a different pulse sequence (during the single exposure time interval). The flash controlled in this manner thus allows the picture to be taken without decreasing the exposure time, thereby capturing a sharper picture even while there may be some relative movement between the device and the object in the scene being illuminated."

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Why? 5S is just the name the press has given the next iPhone. It could very well be called the iPhone 6. Who knows what Apple is going to do. iPhone 5S and 5C seem too close to each other. I think there will be an iPhone 6 and 5C announced in September.

Prepare to be disappointed...

Madhawk

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Definitely going to buy the iPhone 5S for this feature alone.

No other phone has this advanced technology.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013

Go ahead, take my virtual hug #

eyeruh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2009
"A dual-LED flash would improve the performance of the iPhone's flash, creating better lit, less harsh flash photos in low light conditions."​

I've seen this statement twice now in your articles and it's completely false to say that the dual flash will result in "less harsh" flash photos. The harshness of light is directly related to the size of the light source and the distance to the subject. Two LED's next to each other don't change the size of that source enough to matter vs a single LED.

What two different-colored LEDs really do is allow you to change the color temperature of the flash to better match your ambient surroundings. You'll see less of a color shift but the light will still be very harsh. It's a nice addition, just not the addition you're describing.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Too. Many. Leaks. I remember being surprised in the old days (say, pre-iPhone 4S). Apple should form a special rumour and secret leaks disinformation team in order to "double down" on secrecy.

Yes the good old days, where you could see the entire phone before the keynote, because it was left in a bar.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I guess putting a $4 led and a 75cents plate on it is faster than designing a COMPETITIVE SMARTPHONE WITH A LARGER SCREEN! ( sorry for the caps, but stupid Apple forced me to go with a S4 from my Iphone 5......and I am very happy about it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.