PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV Gen 2 wired ethernet not working.

t76turbo
Aug 12, 2013, 08:52 AM
My house had a near strike of lightning and I lost my new 802.11ac router and now apparently the wired port of the AppleTV. The wireless sides of both of them work perfectly.

My house didn't get a direct strike. But something happened to cause a breaker to flip, and the wired side of the router and the AppleTV to die. I tried switching cat6 cables etc and nothing worked.

Is the ethernet port in the appletv replaceable? My wireless signal is pretty strong so I should be fine but would rather stay wired if possible.

(On a side note, anyone know how a lightning strike near my home could cause this much damage to only parts of my electronics but not smoke the entire device? I use surge protectors on ac power but have nothing on the networking cables. May be time to look into if they have such a thing.)

FreakinEurekan
Aug 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
My house had a near strike of lightning and I lost my new 802.11ac router and now apparently the wired port of the AppleTV. The wireless sides of both of them work perfectly.

My house didn't get a direct strike. But something happened to cause a breaker to flip, and the wired side of the router and the AppleTV to die. I tried switching cat6 cables etc and nothing worked.

Is the ethernet port in the appletv replaceable? My wireless signal is pretty strong so I should be fine but would rather stay wired if possible.

(On a side note, anyone know how a lightning strike near my home could cause this much damage to only parts of my electronics but not smoke the entire device? I use surge protectors on ac power but have nothing on the networking cables. May be time to look into if they have such a thing.)

Apple TV repairs out of warranty cost $59. Apple basically swaps out the Apple TV for you, they don't actually repair yours.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=AppleTV - click "Warranty & Service Pricing", then "My Apple TV is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?"

Mrbobb
Aug 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
Apple TV repairs out of warranty cost $59. Apple basically swaps out the Apple TV for you

Bummer.

Plan sounds like, wait it out until next ATV version.

t76turbo
Aug 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks. I figured apple could do it but I was hoping the part was user replaceable. I found the tear down at ifixit for no parts available.

So I may just wait till the next one comes out and get it. I'm in no hurry. Like I said, it does still work. Just wireless only. Will have to see how th streaming quality is that way.