Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
This is an article I think people should read and know about, especially since this would affect most people on this forum. I like apple and all but this just cannot be defended and apple should have pressure on it by its biggest users (after all that's who they care most about, the people who will buy their tech) that this is not something we will just tolerate:

http://news.techeye.net/security/ap...cops-switch-off-iphone-video-camera-and-wi-fi

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
lol i highly doubt anything will happen with this.

Yeah, well let's hope not cause the government would love this. Yeah, it's just a patent now, but that does mean Apple has thought of it.

And my point is it is easier to pressure apple not to do this now then when they decide to implement it. Right now it's just a thought, it will be harder to get them to decide not to do it when they have already decided to use it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
This is an article I think people should read and know about, especially since this would affect most people on this forum. I like apple and all but this just cannot be defended and apple should have pressure on it by its biggest users (after all that's who they care most about, the people who will buy their tech) that this is not something we will just tolerate:

http://news.techeye.net/security/ap...cops-switch-off-iphone-video-camera-and-wi-fi

The article you link to doesn't reference a patent number. All it references is an article on rt.com from almost a year earlier (Sep 2012) that basically describes the same police-suppressing-information scenario. The rt.com article has no links to anything, AFAICT: no patent number, nothing.

What I vaguely recall is that the patent isn't police-specific, and was originally publicized as being able to suppress picture-taking at live concerts. That's assuming the patent in your article is the one I'm vaguely remembering.

I suggest tracking down more detail on the actual patent.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
The article you link to doesn't reference a patent number. All it references is an article on rt.com from almost a year earlier (Sep 2012) that basically describes the same police-suppressing-information scenario. The rt.com article has no links to anything, AFAICT: no patent number, nothing.

What I vaguely recall is that the patent isn't police-specific, and was originally publicized as being able to suppress picture-taking at live concerts. That's assuming the patent in your article is the one I'm vaguely remembering.

I suggest tracking down more detail on the actual patent.

Good points, makes me feel a little better at least. Also, I do realize RT is kinda sketchy source (I'm pretty sure they are run by the Russian propoganda machine). And now I feel embarassed for not looking closer (especially since I already suspect RT isn't the most reliable of sources and I'm pretty sure I noticed them saying something about RT).

Thanks.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Good points, makes me feel a little better at least. Also, I do realize RT is kinda sketchy source (I'm pretty sure they are run by the Russian propoganda machine). And now I feel embarassed for not looking closer (especially since I already suspect RT isn't the most reliable of sources and I'm pretty sure I noticed them saying something about RT).

Thanks.

To me, it doesn't matter whose propaganda machine is alleged to run an operation. If they can't provide a reference to the primary source material, such as the patent number, then it's untrustworthy. Even more so if it's making far-reaching allegations like Apple's patent supporting police suppression of information.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Yeah, well let's hope not cause the government would love this. Yeah, it's just a patent now, but that does mean Apple has thought of it.

And my point is it is easier to pressure apple not to do this now then when they decide to implement it. Right now it's just a thought, it will be harder to get them to decide not to do it when they have already decided to use it.

I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle, and this will sooner or later be implemented somehow. It may have been thought up by Apple, but it could be brought to market in another form, by anyone.

I totally agree, the government would love this; yet another tool to control the masses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.