Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I am a new MBA user and am having a hard time with the keyboard shortcuts. I have had experience with using a Mac but I myself have owned a PC for the past 10 years. Bottom line is im having trouble figuring out what the shortcuts are (especially because of the command button).

I just wanted to know:
-What are the most useful keyboard shortcuts that you use?
-Are all shortcuts used with the command button?
-Can I make my own short cuts?
-How the hell do I copy and past using the keyboard shortcuts!:mad:

Thanks!

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
For the most part, keyboard shortcuts are relatively the same on both platforms. Rather than using the control key however, you'll be using the command key for the majority of your shortcuts, with the exception of the ones that you make. Your best bet is going to be to look at what the combinations are under each application's respective menu. You can create your own shortcuts under the keyboard pane in system preferences.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
-What are the most useful keyboard shortcuts that you use?

Option+Screen Brightness down OR up = Open Display Preferences
Option+ Key Brightness down OR up = Open Keyboard Preferences
Option+ Mute/Volume Down OR up = Open Sound Preferences
Command+Shift+3 = Capture screen and save to desktop*
Command+Shift+4 = Capture selected area and save to desktop
fn+Delete = Forward delete
fn+left/right arrow = Home and end
fn+up/down arrow = Page up/down
fn+fn (double tap) = Start voice dictation

*If you wish to save screen to the clipboard, as the "Prt Src" button does in Windows, the default shortcut is Command+Control+Shift+3. You can also save a selected area of the screen to the clipboard by substituting 3 with 4.

-Are all shortcuts used with the command button?
-How the hell do I copy and past using the keyboard shortcuts!:mad:

For the most part you do just replace control with command. So copy and paste are Command+C and Command+V, respectively.

-Can I make my own short cuts?

Yes! Just go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Last edited:

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
For me, after ages with PCs and today using both systems, it was no big deal. In fact, like it's been already said, many times just change the CTRL key for the Command and there you go with copy, paste or cut, for instance.

Do you want a real challenge? Try to drive backwards with a car that has the wheel on the other side! :)

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Thanks guys! All of your posts have been extremely helpful!

----------

Do you want a real challenge? Try to drive backwards with a car that has the wheel on the other side! :)

I think i'll pass on that! I'm not that great of a driver to begin with! haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.