PDA

View Full Version : Any battery experts on here? Trying to make sense of how long MBA will last.

NewbieToMacs
Aug 13, 2013, 12:01 AM
I've read lots of conflicting information about this subject. Most sources I am seeing via Google search say that after 1000 charge cycles a lithoum-ion battery, like the one used in the macbook air, will no longer hold a good charge and will basically be worthless. Yet, Apple says that after 1000 charge cycles the battery will only lose 20% capacity here http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html.
The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity.

Is this really true? :confused:

Since I purchased a Haswell MBA the other day does that mean after 1000 charge cycles that I am really going to still have roughly 9.6 hours of battery life? (12 hours X 80%)

Also, what happens after 2000 charge cycles? Do I still only lose another 20% to 7.2 hours of batter life give or take? (12 hours X 60%)

Any expert opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

saving107
Aug 13, 2013, 02:29 AM
With the new MacBook Air lasting longer (less charging required), it will be like 5-8 years before you can reach 1000 cycles, and then only decrease 20% capacity.

Don't worry so much.

AXs
Aug 13, 2013, 02:47 AM
$100 for new battery. Why sweat it?

Mrbobb
Aug 13, 2013, 03:23 AM
By the time u need a battery for the Haswell, u will have grown tired of it and looking for something more current.

NEXT!

Steve121178
Aug 13, 2013, 04:58 AM
Everyone's usage is different and everyone's battery will perform differently, so there is no answer.

Just use it and stop worrying over something that really isn't important.

greatwall9528
Aug 13, 2013, 07:07 AM
1000 times is enough, you can enjoy it until your device is sifted.

AXs
Aug 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
I swear, it really seems like sometimes people stretch their budgets just to be a macbook owner. It is shocking to me the amount of people that are worried about battery life, worried about their SSD life.

These are the 2 things that the 2013 Air DOMINATE by million miles in the market. The Air has the best battery and the best SSD.

Stop being worried, and make full use

In 3-5 years, pay $100 for new battery, and about $200 for new faster 1TB SSD. (based on 5 years ago, upgrade to SSD 64GB from HDD cost $1000)

m98custom1212
Aug 13, 2013, 12:50 PM
You getting worked up over 1000 times.. That's 2.7 years of recharges ie draining your battery everyday and recharging it.

GGJstudios
Aug 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
Most sources I am seeing via Google search say that after 1000 charge cycles a lithoum-ion battery, like the one used in the macbook air, will no longer hold a good charge and will basically be worthless.
That is clearly false. Even after 1000 cycles, most batteries will hold sufficient charge to be quite useful. Even if the battery health drops below 80%, the battery is still fully functional and useful for most users.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation about Apple notebook batteries on the web. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

ritmomundo
Aug 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
My 11" MBA is almost 3 years old, and the battery health is 89%. I use it daily (average usage). I think you'll be fine for several years. One thing I've noticed with Apple batteries is that they don't crap out after a year or 2, like my old HP laptops did.

DisplacedMic
Aug 13, 2013, 02:11 PM
9.6 hrs = .4 days x 1000 = 400 days total battery discharge time.

that is 1 year and 1 month total battery discharge.

sadly you're only going to get 8 months total battery time the next year :p

truth be told, i don't really believe the claims. i fully expect the battery to start showing some age in 2-3 years. we'll see. either way i wouldn't worry too much about it. either way it certainly won't be "Worthless" by any means.