Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I bought a 16Gb iPad 4 because I didn't want to pay the premium price of additional Apple memory and because I though I could just store the big files (as in movies etc.) on a wireless storage device. However, I haven't bought a wireless drive yet. I planned on getting the Maxell Airstash but the somewhat flimsy design put me off. Some other alternatives were iUSBport (had mixed reviews and the app isn't the best) and Seagate Wireless Plus (too big, expensive). Just a few days ago I stumbled upon Sandisk's new products online.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/wireless/

I especially like the Media drive as it has 2x better battery life as the flash drive, better CPU and is more rugged (made of aluminium). I've also read that it has a better app. The price isn't too bad as for 100 dollars you can get a 64Gb version with an empty SD card slot. The flash drive is a bargain as well (I think it's 50 dollars for the 32Gb version) but I get the feeling the Media drive would be better for strictly videos.

I'm probably going to pre-order the Media drive when it becomes available on Amazon (UK). One thing worrying me is that there have been some comments about slow transfer speed and app hiccups but those can probably be fixed via firmware updates.

What do you guys think?

philippevg

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
I like them both too, but...

The flash drive kinda holds me back, as it only supports SDHC micro cards which are limited to 32GB. Tho, it has a nice small size!

If I want to have some kind of WiFi storage device for my tablet (iPad; which doesnt support external storage devices connected to it by wire and write on it. Only read, unless you jailbreak it), it needs to have plenty of space. The media drive supports SDXC cards, which are (at the moment) limited to 128GB, if I'm correct. This will give you in total a space of max. 192GB.

Hope the Media Drive will come to Europe soon! I'm dying to buy one, since I'm going to travel soon! Anyone has any info on when they will arrive?

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Unfortunately I have no information regarding the European release date of the media drive. I read somewhere that it should've been released in Europe in Q4 2013, but it hasn't.

About the flash drive vs. media drive... There's quite good video reviews on Youtube about this and it seems clear that if you are using the device for streaming media (music, videos, photos), the media drive is the better choice: faster, better app for media, better battery life. The flash drive is suited best for PDFs and such as data moves both ways.

I've thought about importing the Media Drive from the US but the shipping charges (not to mention custom charges) are high everywhere. Moreover, I would prefer buying this device from an EU-seller as it makes things much easier is the device stops working properly.

philippevg

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
I read somewhere that it should've been released in Europe in Q4 2013, but it hasn't.

Indeed it hasn't! It's a shame. I've contacted Sandisk for more info about this, no reply so far.

I've thought about importing the Media Drive from the US but the shipping charges (not to mention custom charges) are high everywhere. Moreover, I would prefer buying this device from an EU-seller as it makes things much easier is the device stops working properly.

Same thoughts here. I guess it's waiting after Xmas :p

philippevg

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
I got the wireless flash drive. More portable and easier to use

What exactly do you mean by easier?
It sure is smaller and therefor more mobile, that's a fact. But the media drive isn't that big either isn't it?

I think I'll stick to the media drive, for its SDXC support.

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
What exactly do you mean by easier?
It sure is smaller and therefor more mobile, that's a fact. But the media drive isn't that big either isn't it?

I think I'll stick to the media drive, for its SDXC support.

It has built in usb, in order for you to transfer files from your computer, just plug in to your computer. The other model you have to connect to a card reader in order for you to transfer files there.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Sandisk Connect - Wireless storage

Hi was searching and found here discussing the Sandisk Connect. Can I ask what you all think who bought it please.

I'm thinking of getting it also, probably the 16Gb version and then also carry another MicroSD, you can swap mem cards to expand the memory?

As I have space on my iPhone also, say 10Gb, can you for eg use the Sandisk to copy files from a computer, then copy them to your iPhone, then delete them off the Sandisk and copy more files to it? I want to use it for getting stuff easily off work, No WiFi, copy files to Sandisk and iPhone to take home - is this possible?

Also is limited to just music, vids, pics and PDFs? Can I copy anything to the Sandisk, and then to my iPhone as above?

Can it ask if you use it with iPhones/iPads? And where and how much you bought it. Amazon UK it's £41 for £16Gb and £50 for 32Gb

Sorry for the long post!
Thanks

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I actually just ordered Ravpower 5-in-1 Filehub to extend my iPad's memory. I got tired of waiting for the media drive to be available in Europe and couldn't justify the price tag of importing it from the US. While the Ravpower doesn't have the looks and the battery life of the Sandisk Media Drive, it seems to be more versatile. It's also extremely popular in UK and US Amazons.

MrMister111, I guess you are talking about the Sandisk Connect Flash Drive. Be warned that it doesn't have the battery life of the Media Drive and apparently is more suitable for documents and such (streaming video and photos is much better with the Media Drive according to the reviews).

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
MrMister111, I guess you are talking about the Sandisk Connect Flash Drive. Be warned that it doesn't have the battery life of the Media Drive and apparently is more suitable for documents and such (streaming video and photos is much better with the Media Drive according to the reviews).

Yes talking about the connect flash drive. Not to bothered on the battery life as it's quoted will be enough for what I need.

Although the media streaming will be good, I also want it to act as an "in between" for copying data from a computer to my iPhone. The computer doesn't have WiFi or iTunes so this is the only way I can think of.

But does it allow copying of any type of data? Can you copy any type of files? Non standard like SQL files etc? can you copy Computer > Sandisk connect flash > iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.