PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Executive Cites Anti-Apple Ad as "Tipping Point" for Brand

MacRumors
Aug 13, 2013, 08:34 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/13/samsung-executive-cites-anti-apple-ad-as-tipping-point-for-brand/)

In an interview with Australian newspaper AdNews (http://www.adnews.com.au/adnews/ads-mocking-apple-marked-a-tipping-point-for-us-samsung) (via The Next Web (http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2013/08/13/samsung-exec-anti-iphone-ads-helped-us-really-mess-with-the-order-of-things/)), Samsung Australia's chief marketing officer Arno Lenior offered retrospect on the Korean company's 2012 "Next Big Thing" ad that mocked Apple loyalists, saying that it signaled Samsung "coming-of-age" as a brand, and "marked a tipping point" for the company's standing in consumer electronics globally. Lenior also stated that Samsung still sees itself as a "challenger" and invests heavily in research and development to stay ahead.

nf5-Prx19ZMThat really did mark quite a tipping point for us globally. We were able to tell a cheeky story - if you think about it, we're a Korean company starting to really mess with the order of things.

We've been able to do some good things from that [campaign]. The interesting thing about it from my perspective is that some of it is not the best work you've ever seen, some of it is the best work you've ever seen, but it's getting people talking, that's what I really love about it.

You've got fanboys after fanboys going, 'You can't put that out there', and then the Samsung fans saying, 'Yes, you can', and they're starting to have that conversation, which is brilliant. So that piece of content has been amazing for us, both globally and here in Australia. Earlier this month, a survey (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/iphone-5-topped-by-galaxy-s3-in-latest-customer-satisfaction-survey/) from the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) ranked Samsung's Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II phones ahead of Apple's iPhone 5 in customer satisfaction. Since 2011, both Samsung and Apple have been in a long, ongoing legal battle over patent and design issues, with the first U.S. trial awarding (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/24/jury-reaches-verdict-in-apple-vs-samsung-trial/) $1 billion to Apple in 2012. However, a judge voided nearly half of that amount in March, and a new trial (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/30/new-damages-trial-in-apple-v-samsung-set-for-november/) between the two companies is set for November of this year.

Article Link: Samsung Executive Cites Anti-Apple Ad as "Tipping Point" for Brand (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/13/samsung-executive-cites-anti-apple-ad-as-tipping-point-for-brand/)

CrazyForApple
Aug 13, 2013, 08:39 AM
The only thing that they didn't mention was that the ad sucked and IMO didn't really help Samsung at all

scaredpoet
Aug 13, 2013, 08:40 AM
Got that, people?

If you like Samsung, you're a "Samsung fan."

If you like anything else (and by anything else we mean Apple, because evidently no other platforms or vendors exist). you're just a fanboy. You're also wrong.

bedifferent
Some have taken personal offense to my comment, thus I edited it to make certain opinions expressed are not mine. This particular comment is merely one incident pertaining to a family member. I have never had a problem with AppleCare, I love it and swear by it. In fact, Apple replace 2 24" LED LCD's that were problematic for ~2 years with brand new 2 27" LED LCD's, refunded my AppleCare and gave me free AppleCare for the new displays. That is stellar service.

Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite [B]their opinion of Apple's lack of customer service with their devices; not their "entitlement." Many [some] paid monthly insurance [through their carrier and one with AppleCare] and were passed back and forth between the carrier [in this instance Sprint] and Apple, or Apple refused to replace the device with AppleCare as the Genius and management claimed the damage was not covered. [In regards to Sprint and Apple], neither took responsibility; Sprint claimed replacements need to be approved by Apple and Apple claimed Sprint is required to approve the replacement via paperwork, etc.*

*Let me clarify, this was their opinion, not mine. I have had nothing but great customer service from Apple. I repeat, I love Apple and never speak ill of Apple.

When carriers approved a replacement, for some reason Apple gave my brother a difficult time and insisted Spring replace it. Again, this happened to my brother, in no way does this reflect my opinions of Apple.

I tried to explain [to my brother], [that] moving [i.e. switching to another phone] would be more costly as purchased [Apple] apps (and media?) would be unusable, and syncing difficult [I do not know for certain]. Makes you realize how tied into Apple you become [not a bad statement on Apple, this applies to all carriers, I love Apple].

Ok, I hope this clarifies my comment. I apologize if my comment insulted Apple, you and/or your mother. I love Apple. :)

bbplayer5
The only thing that they didn't mention was that the ad sucked and IMO didn't really help Samsung at all

Got any statistics to back that up other than your opinion?

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

Jack97
Aug 13, 2013, 08:45 AM
yep, it was a tipping point indeed. When we all realised how annoying Samsung can be! :D

scaredpoet
many paid fro monthly insurance and were passed back and forth between the carrier and Apple, neither taking responsibility. When carriers approved a replacement, Apple flat out refused. My brother being one example.

I tried to explain, moving would be more costly as purchased apps (and media?) would be unusable, and syncing difficult. Makes you realize how tied into Apple you become.

You should probably have explained to them that if they bought insurance through their carrier, it's the carrier that handles the replacement, not Apple. If they bought AppleCare, then Apple takes care of it.

If they had done the same thing with a Samsung GS4, Samsung would have told them to get lost, just like Apple did.

spiderman0616

Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones? lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

Do they though? Just because a company says they're better does not mean that reflects in sales. A small subset of nerds will buy the S4 because they're drooling over its innards. But the reality is that the iPhone 5 has officially beaten the crap out of the S4 sales wise, and we're about to get a refresh in less than a month.

This happens every year at this time where there has been a lull in new products from Apple. The tide is about to turn yet again.

Jack97
Aug 13, 2013, 08:46 AM
I find it amusing how samsung knocks the company from which 90% of their "ideas" come from...

Matthew Yohe
Aug 13, 2013, 08:47 AM
Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite Apple's lack of customer service with their devices;

Good luck getting better customer service with anyone else.

scaredpoet
Aug 13, 2013, 08:50 AM
Am I the only one around here with an unbias opinion of all phones?

Yeah, you keep telling yourself about how unbiased you are. :rolleyes:

lol The Galaxy s4 is an incredible device, as is the HTC One. Apple has some huge ground to make up, and the name "Apple" isnt going to cut it anymore.

The GS4 is a great device and so is the HTC One. But they appeal to different tastes. And when you ask a fandroid specifically what Apple must do to get ahead, they just repeat what you just said. "Apple needs to innovate" doesn't cut it anymore, unless you specifically state what you feel is "innovation."

Diesel79
Aug 13, 2013, 08:55 AM
The main reason I switched my phone and computer to Apple was their customer support. I have friends who have used iPhones and macs for a while and heard first hand just how good Apple's customer service is. I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices. I've been very impressed with both Apple's products and their customers service, which, in my opinion is second to none.

Yes Samsung make some very impressive phones, but, They just flood their devices with endless gimmicks that hardly ever stick around. People keep bashing Apple for not keeping up with Samsung on the new features front. Well, for me Apple already have a great product in the iPhone and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Tsuius
Aug 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite Apple's lack of customer service... .

Apple's customer service is world class and there is no other company that comes close (same sung is far far behind).

ChristIsLORD
Aug 13, 2013, 09:05 AM
The CMO using "fanboy" is extremely unprofessional and almost demeaning. I expect that type of language from internet forums but not a professional.

nekonari
Aug 13, 2013, 09:06 AM

LOL Like anyone can be really unbiased on these comments section.

Apple's products are good. As long as they don't cave to public opinion (from "unbiased" Android "fanboys", or Apple "fans" alike), they'll keep being good for me.

Tsuius
Aug 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
All the same sung ads have done for me is turned me off from buying anything made by them (this includes buying for my IT department). It's one thing to make fun of a brand and another to make fun of its users.

logantyler
Aug 13, 2013, 09:10 AM
Most people use phones for Facebook, Twitter, messaging,the camera and Internet. The iPhone and Galaxy S4 can both do this. The average consumer can do all the things they need on both phones. Samsung just implements cheap gimmicks that no one needs, or rarely works, to make up for "innovation."

----------

All the same sung ads have done for me is turned me off from buying anything made by them (this includes buying for my IT department). It's one thing to make fun of a brand and another to make fun of its users.

You're quite right. Can these companies just acknowledge that some like apple products?

bbeagle
Aug 13, 2013, 09:12 AM

My friends who have non-Apple phones are all Apple haters. They think that Apple is trying to take over the world, and it's awful to be stuck with them, and Apple is way behind in everything.

My friends who have Apple phones are mostly people who have come from the Android world, and didn't like it, are not biased, and chose Apple. There are a few Apple zealots too.

The Samsung S4 fans don't understand that size is not the be-all-end-all. I would be EMBARASSED to talk to someone holding up something the size of a paperback book to my ear, and I laugh to myself when I see some of these non-Apple phones that are huge. My main use for a phone is still using it as a phone, and use my iPad as a PDA. I don't want to use the same device for both - just like I'm not toasting bread in my oven. I have one device for toasting my bread (toaster), and another device for everything else.

I can completely understand Samsung S4 fans who use their phone for texting , tweeting, surfing... yes, the larger size is better. But I'm never on my phone for long periods of time doing that. When I'm out and about, my phone is in my pocket. I get the occasional text to look at, and call to receive or place, and the size is better being smaller. When I get to the office, I use my PC for internet things, and at home at night, I use my iPad for internet things. People are different in how they want to be connected. Apple is losing the war in some segments, but winning in others.

aristobrat
Aug 13, 2013, 09:16 AM
many paid monthly insurance and were passed back and forth between the carrier and Apple, neither taking responsibility. When carriers approved a replacement, Apple flat out refused (Apple policy is pushing carriers to leave replacements for Apple retail, perhaps to better track devices).
What?

The iPhone comes with a one-year Apple hardware warranty. In addition, some carriers resell monthly insurance, on behalf of insurance companies like Asurion.

If your brother wanted a replacement from Apple, under Apple's one-year hardware warranty, the carrier has nothing to do with that process. Your brother calls AppleCare (to arrange a replacement via FedEx), or goes into an Apple Store (and gets a replacement at the Genius Bar). The carrier has absolutely no say-so in a matter involving Apple warranty.

If your brother wanted a replacement from his monthly warranty, Apple has nothing to do with that process. Once the insurance company approves his claim, it's up to the insurance company to provide the replacement. Not Apple.

Apple should never be involved with a claim involving a monthly-warranty company, and vice-versa, so how the heck is there a situation where "neither take responsibility"? :confused:

rmwebs
Aug 13, 2013, 09:17 AM

Nope, you're not. I've got an iPhone and a bunch of Android devices. I don't consider any of them to be 'the best'. The iPhones been pretty piss poor for the last couple of years, the only thing holding it together at the moment is the OS. The hardware really isn't all that great (although I do love the camera on the 4[s]/5).

PracticalMac
Aug 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
Battle between Galaxy and iPhone is ON!

Battle between Galaxy and rest of Android world is over, and Samsung is undisputed champ!
Google, subsidiary of Samsung.

Crzyrio
Aug 13, 2013, 09:33 AM

The HTC One is an incredible device, the S4 is just another device imo.

I am unbiased but at the same time you have to look at the entire experience and not just the phone.

Apple has an eco system un matched by any other. I can give you a million advantages of this eco system but we all know about it already.

Customer service, no one can even touch them lol. I have gone into an apple store, walk out with a new phone.

My friend has an S3, walks into the new Samsung service center we have here. The wait time is 2-3 weeks to get your phone back and no loaner phone :p

I 1000% agree that add is what made Samsung though. And the fact that the S3 was the first real competitor to the iPhone.

bossxii
Aug 13, 2013, 09:35 AM
The main reason I switched my phone and computer to Apple was their customer support. I have friends who have used iPhones and macs for a while and heard first hand just how good Apple's customer service is. I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices. I've been very impressed with both Apple's products and their customers service, which, in my opinion is second to none.

Yes Samsung make some very impressive phones, but, They just flood their devices with endless gimmicks that hardly ever stick around. People keep bashing Apple for not keeping up with Samsung on the new features front. Well, for me Apple already have a great product in the iPhone and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Wait... there is no need to bash strippers now! Come on, free for life? I can always carry a 2nd phone if that's the case lol. :)

Sodner
Aug 13, 2013, 09:37 AM

Ya we know they have a BIG SCREEN. Wooooo! :eek:

Chaos123x
Aug 13, 2013, 09:38 AM
Wow samsung has really come a long way. I remember when they used to make pirated SNES games back in the day. I think Samsung made more copies of Donkey Kong Country then Nintendo did.

But yeah, it's great that Apple has competition. But me personally I'm done with whole smart phone fad, yeah I still own one and use it all the time, but I really don't have excitement about a new one coming out. They are all pretty much the same now, just give me one with a battery that lasts longer.

Dagless
Aug 13, 2013, 09:44 AM
At this point the only thing keeping me from switching phones, is that I'd lose the ability to mirror my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. But even then there are bugs in iOS iTunes that haven't been fixed in years.

reden
Aug 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
This type of marketing generally doesn't work. Look how well it helped Cadillac when they would trash BMW, I mean common, these campaigns are cringe-worthy.

herr_neumann
Aug 13, 2013, 09:52 AM

Wow, we are asking for references for opinions now as that is what IMO stands for. IMO people need to step back and think for a minute before trying to one up people around here. The tone around here sure has changed a lot in the last 10 years....

Small White Car
Aug 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
I gotta give Samsung credit. Remember when we all thought it would be Apple and 2 or 3 other companies that ruled the smartphone world? Everyone was betting on different companies, but the idea was that 2 or 3 would come out as the "Apple-alternatives" and there'd be this mix of choices out there.

Who could have guessed that a single company out of Korea would absolutely crush everyone else and turn themselves into the largest Android manufacturer by far? Android was supposed to be like Windows and help dozens of companies sell hardware. Who among us saw a single vender taking it and turning themselves into an Apple-like company above and beyond all the others?

Again, I gotta give them credit.

ctdonath
Aug 13, 2013, 09:56 AM
From a recent story:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/revenuepercountry.jpg
Notice that Apple's presence in Korea is almost nonexistent. Easy to take a "we're winning!" view when you're winning just one game, and ignore the fact you're getting trounced in most other games. Korean consumers are fiercely loyal to domestic products, hence Samsung's stronghold being reflected in Android app sales (with similar behavior in Japan, a strong Android showing as it's the only viable non-Apple alternative OS for domestic products).

Samsung may be selling well elsewhere, but not so much among those users who buy cumulatively significant quantities of apps.

HenryDJP
Aug 13, 2013, 09:58 AM

LOL, "Unbiased" opinion. You speak very highly of the GS4 and the HTC and talk down horribly about Apple. Yeah, very unbiased. ;)

QCassidy352
Aug 13, 2013, 09:59 AM
The CMO using "fanboy" is extremely unprofessional and almost demeaning. I expect that type of language from internet forums but not a professional.

Look no further than the very ad he cites, which was incredibly insulting and childish.

tbrand7
Aug 13, 2013, 10:00 AM

I believe it's pronounced "Samsung".

gatearray
Aug 13, 2013, 10:07 AM

Agreed. These big companies looking to the comment section of Engadget and The Verge for their marketing ideas are just as out of touch with the mainstream as the kids who post there. The Samsung executive's statements are just more pandering to the groupthink in those places.

When that Windows commercial came out that showed a wedding with a fight between the Apple and Android sides, nerds on sites like this got a chuckle, but most "regular" people had no idea what the heck that commercial was referencing. To regular consumers, the idea that heated arguments would revolve around which religion, er, cell phone operating system one "believes in" is a ludicrous concept.

bpcookson
Aug 13, 2013, 10:09 AM
I gotta give Samsung credit. Remember when we all thought it would be Apple and 2 or 3 other companies that ruled the smartphone world? Everyone was betting on different companies, but the idea was that 2 or 3 would come out as the "Apple-alternatives" and there'd be this mix of choices out there.

Who could have guessed that a single company out of Korea would absolutely crush everyone else and turn themselves into the largest Android manufacturer by far? Android was supposed to be like Windows and help dozens of companies sell hardware. Who among us saw a single vender taking it and turning themselves into an Apple-like company above and beyond all the others?

Again, I gotta give them credit.

I don't think it's surprising at all. In fact, it would be odd to see MORE than 2 companies that could meaningfully differentiate themselves in a significant fashion. Look at AT&T vs. Verizon, VISA vs. MasterCard, Windows vs. OS X, or even Democrat vs. Republican. Sure, there's Sprint and Discover and Linux and the Green Party, but they're all either struggling for relevance or happily serving a niche.

What this boils down to is an accessible story. People want something to get behind, they want friends to do it with, and they want to feel validated. So you get duopolies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duopoly

roadbloc
Aug 13, 2013, 10:09 AM

I'm so glad we have an industry expert on MR. Ignore the article, newspaper and Samsung marketing guy who all claim the ad helped. CrazyForApple clearly knows what is really going on and obviously has some solid sources for his information.

If only all you other posters were as helpful. :D:p

Aug 13, 2013, 10:13 AM
I hated these ads because were cheap customer grabs and not meaningful in any way. I'd be embarrassed if my biggest successes were all traced back to the time I insulted potential customers and mislead the people I did lure with inaccurate product demonstrations. S Beam is frustratingly slow and the rest of the crapware on this phone is outclassed by 3rd party options. Unfortunately I don't have the storage space to install all of it.

I can appreciate the larger screen, but that wasn't enough to keep me from going back to my 4S while I wait for a new iPhone. My pockets are a bit more comfortable, too. I'm sorry that I wear skinny jeans.

Edit: I owe a bit more explanation. For the most part, I enjoy android. I got this phone as a second line for my freelance gig. I was definitely impressed by the One and am now by the Moto X. I just realized after a few months of having a 4S and also S4 that I only need one phone. And that phone should be the most reliable one that I can have serviced as efficiently as possible. Furthermore, I've spent $100's on iTunes.

GSPice
Aug 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
I realize the Mac vs. PC ads were probably the closest thing to Apple mocking another company, and even then it wasn't a single hardware manufacturer, i.e. Dell, HP - although you could say it was a hit on Microsoft.

Even then, it says a lot when the best marketing move that Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia etc. can make is to create an anti-Apple ad for its phones and tablets.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple's never made an "anti- ad" to promote the iPhone or iPad.

jav6454
Aug 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
One thing I see in the Exec's claims is the word "fanboy". Anyone using that word in an argument can be categorized as unintelligent. Why? If you have a nice argument that you know is sound and logical which people can easily gather behind, then why use a slur word to strengthen it?

No need. Using fanboy just denotes the fact that Samsung doesn't feel good enough about themselves and resort to name calling and internet slurs to try and beat out the competition.

That being said, the SG4 is a good device, but not better than the HTC One.

urbanslaughter
Aug 13, 2013, 10:27 AM

First of all, the word you're looking for is "unbiased", not "unbias."

More importantly, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it does.":rolleyes:

dbyway
Aug 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
I have had the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. I've made apps for the App store, own Macs, had just about any Apple product you can think of. Yeah I'm a fan... but not a fanboy. That said, I switched to the Galaxy S4 last week. I LOVE IT. I'm not a fanboy of either but with extensive use of both... I think the S4 takes the title IMO.

GSPice
Aug 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
I'd be embarrassed if my biggest successes were all traced back to the time I insulted potential customers and mislead the people I did lure with inaccurate product demonstrations.

+1

You wonder if they thought they could convert Apple users by insulting them, or if they were just intimidating new customers to go/stay with Samsung. Either way, its negative. It may work, but it's negative, and that has its own ripple effect in the market.

----------

I have had the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. I've made apps for the App store, own Macs, had just about any Apple product you can think of. Yeah I'm a fan... but not a fanboy. That said, I switched to the Galaxy S4 last week. I LOVE IT. I'm not a fanboy of either but with extensive use of both... I think the S4 takes the title IMO.

Out of curiosity what Apple products do you currently own (use) besides in your sig? I'm surmising about the whole Apple ecosystem thing.

Diesel79
Aug 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
I wonder when Samsung are going to develop their own OS to rival IOS, Oh wait! What about Bada ;)

QCassidy352
Aug 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
I realize the Mac vs. PC ads were probably the closest thing to Apple mocking another company, and even then it wasn't a single hardware manufacturer, i.e. Dell, HP - although you could say it was a hit on Microsoft.

Even then, it says a lot when the best marketing move that Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia etc. can make is to create an anti-Apple ad for its phones and tablets.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple's never made an "anti- ad" to promote the iPhone or iPad.

And mocking a company is very different from mocking customers. Samsung's ads were the most off-putting ads I've ever seen.

FloatingBones
Aug 13, 2013, 10:42 AM
If you like Samsung, you're a "Samsung fan."

If you like anything else (and by anything else we mean Apple, because evidently no other platforms or vendors exist). you're just a fanboy. You're also wrong.

Bingo. If Samsung Executive Arno Lenior had used language like that in MR discussions, he would have earned a time-out from the moderators. :D

alexrmc92
Aug 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
Android has nothing like iTunes, period. Compare all of the syncing, music, movie, etc... software for Android and you don't have one singular piece of software that can purchase almost all of your media, sync it via cable and wifi, store backups of all phone data, and airplay it to any airplay device.

You also have software like iPhoto, all i have to do is plug in my phone and it opens showing all of my photos on my phone and asks me which ones i want to import. It's as simple as that.

The point i'm trying to make isn't that the iPhone is the best phone, but that it's not the iPhones hardware or singular features that make it great. What makes the iPhone great is the hardware / software integration with it and other devices (mostly apple devices) that make the entire experience simple and easy to use. Thats why i moved from android to iPhone in the first place.

Android has come a long way, but for me it is not at the same level yet. They are trying, especially with chrome cast, but it isn't there yet.

ProVideo
Aug 13, 2013, 10:46 AM
Samsung came of age by resorting to name calling and cheap shots. Good to know.

josh995
Aug 13, 2013, 10:46 AM
Love how he called Apple users "fanboys" and called Samsung users "Samsung fans."

Real classy, you supposed professional.

How about "Apple fans."

I also find Samsungs ads incredibly offensive. They make iPhone users look stupid. I went to Northwestern University for 4 years. I'm anything but stupid.

Popeye206
Aug 13, 2013, 10:49 AM
Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite Apple's lack of customer service with their devices; not "entitlement", many paid monthly insurance and were passed back and forth between the carrier and Apple, neither taking responsibility. When carriers approved a replacement, Apple flat out refused (Apple policy is pushing carriers to leave replacements for Apple retail, perhaps to better track devices). My brother being one example.

I tried to explain, moving would be more costly as purchased apps (and media?) would be unusable, and syncing difficult. Makes you realize how tied into Apple you become.

Totally different experience here... no insurance... I soaked my iPhone 5 in the ocean... my fault... my responsibility. Called AT&T... they asked questions, told me about Apple's "out of warrantee" replacement program... Connected me directly to an Apple rep who then made arrangements to get me a replacement for $230. Half of he cost of a new phone replacement.

Until this point, I was looking at a full cost replacement with a new 2year contract for about $500... so... from my perspective... AT&T and Apple worked flawlessly and saved me $250. And... given I could go to an Apple store, I got the replacement that day.

This is what happens with no insurance.

tzeshan
Aug 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
Samsung became successful because with the help of Google it thoroughly copied Apple's iPhone design and selling it cheaper. In other words Samsung is a thief.

iLilana
Aug 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
he makes me laugh. Its like there was a joke but no one was joking. Going back to breaking bad marathon.

Diesel79
Aug 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
Totally different experience here... no insurance... I soaked my iPhone 5 in the ocean... my fault... my responsibility. Called AT&T... they asked questions, told me about Apple's "out of warrantee" replacement program... Connected me directly to an Apple rep who then made arrangements to get me a replacement for $230. Half of he cost of a new phone replacement.

Until this point, I was looking at a full cost replacement with a new 2year contract for about $500... so... from my perspective... AT&T and Apple worked flawlessly and saved me $250. And... given I could go to an Apple store, I got the replacement that day.

Same thing happend to my brother. He knocked a bottle of coke over his iPhone, no insurance and the phone was out of warranty. Apple replaced it for £120.

gnasher729
Aug 13, 2013, 11:00 AM
The main reason I switched my phone and computer to Apple was their customer support. I have friends who have used iPhones and macs for a while and heard first hand just how good Apple's customer service is. I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices.

My wife fully agrees with you :D

----------

You wonder if they thought they could convert Apple users by insulting them, or if they were just intimidating new customers to go/stay with Samsung.

Intimidating is how Samsung works in South Korea. You wouldn't dare criticising them in South Korea, or risk seeing your career going downhill.

bedifferent
Aug 13, 2013, 11:02 AM
You should probably have explained to them that if they bought insurance through their carrier, it's the carrier that handles the replacement, not Apple. If they bought AppleCare, then Apple takes care of it.

If they had done the same thing with a Samsung GS4, Samsung would have told them to get lost, just like Apple did.

I did, just that. For some reason Sprint stated otherwise, made no sense to me.

gnasher729
Aug 13, 2013, 11:03 AM
Apple should never be involved with a claim involving a monthly-warranty company, and vice-versa, so how the heck is there a situation where "neither take responsibility"? :confused:

If he paid monthly insurance, and dropped his phone into the toilet, Apple would quite rightfully refuse to repair it. The insurance company _should_ pay, but that doesn't mean they will.

bedifferent
Aug 13, 2013, 11:03 AM

I've had nothing but great experiences with my iPhones, I've been lucky. Of course it doesn't hurt having worked for the company with connections, but they were never involved.

Popeye206
Aug 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
BTW... I found the ads to be annoying... but, they we're affective I think in getting Samsung to the top spot they're in now. Not only against the iPhone, but against other Droid phones.

Personally... I won't change from my iPhone for what they've shown. Not worth the hassle of starting from scratch... plus... the iPhone does more than what I need, so why change?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run when Samsung runs out of useful features and just is cluttering their phones with gimmicks. Which, from what I've seen is already the case with some of their "big features". I think the only real advantage they have now is screen size choice over an iPhone... but not over other Android phones... so... what's next? I guess we'll see soon... the model of the month should be coming out soon.

RetepNamenots
Aug 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
At this point the only thing keeping me from switching phones, is that I'd lose the ability to mirror my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. But even then there are bugs in iOS iTunes that haven't been fixed in years.

iSyncr syncs iTunes over WiFi to your devices, including play counts and metadata etc:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.iSyncr&hl=en_GB

Popeye206
Aug 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
Same thing happend to my brother. He knocked a bottle of coke over his iPhone, no insurance and the phone was out of warranty. Apple replaced it for £120.

I wonder what Samsung's out of warrantee replacement policy looks like?

the8thark
Aug 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
The ad basically says samsung is great and Apple is bad.

People hear blah blah blah samsung blah blah Apple.
And they are like oohhh Apple that's the iPhone right, etc etc.

So really they are in a reverse way advertising Apple too. As the saying goes, all news is good news.

samsung need to say nothing about Apple at all.

bedifferent
Aug 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
Apple's customer service is world class and there is no other company that comes close (same sung is far far behind).

Absolutely agree :)

Jaredly
Aug 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
I don't think it's surprising at all. In fact, it would be odd to see MORE than 2 companies that could meaningfully differentiate themselves in a significant fashion. Look at AT&T vs. Verizon, VISA vs. MasterCard, Windows vs. OS X, or even Democrat vs. Republican. Sure, there's Sprint and Discover and Linux and the Green Party, but they're all either struggling for relevance or happily serving a niche.

What this boils down to is an accessible story. People want something to get behind, they want friends to do it with, and they want to feel validated. So you get duopolies.

He was saying that it's surprising that Samsung came out as the one dominant android phone. Take windows for instance, there was no one leader in windows computer.

inlinevolvo
Aug 13, 2013, 11:18 AM

I thought the commercials were brilliant, funny and witty. And I live in the apple ecosystem. Why did you think the ads sucked?

Arran
Aug 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
...Earlier this month, a survey (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/iphone-5-topped-by-galaxy-s3-in-latest-customer-satisfaction-survey/) from the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) ranked Samsung's Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II phones ahead of Apple's iPhone 5 in customer satisfaction.

Lower expectations are easier to satisfy?

Plutonius
Aug 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
It's sad but negative ads do work.

Arran
Aug 13, 2013, 11:23 AM
I find it amusing how samsung knocks the company from which 90% of their "ideas" come from...

It's all just a marketing game.

MacNut
Aug 13, 2013, 11:24 AM
I thought the commercials were brilliant, funny and witty. And I live in the apple ecosystem. Why did you think the ads sucked?Most likely they were making fun of Apple and not Apple making fun of PC. You know it is a sin to bad mouth Apple in any way.

bdrake47
Aug 13, 2013, 11:38 AM
The negative ad technique has really worked out well for Microsoft RT too....

Good luck Samesung.

aristotle
Aug 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
Bingo. If Samsung Executive Arno Lenior had used language like that in MR discussions, he would have earned a time-out from the moderators. :D
Are we thinking of the same MR? If anything, people who objected to it would get a "warning" for calling them out on it. I speak from experience. This place has become a haven for paid shills promoting Android.

I have given up on contributing any knowledge on here because of it. I work in software development on windows but I'm also a registered iOS developer working on some interesting projects. But again, I have been abused by moderators here to the point that I stopped caring enough to contribute ideas and help out others here. It is not friendly to mac and iOS users anymore.

Josheh
Aug 13, 2013, 11:41 AM

Seriously. It's not the best move to poke fun at the users you want to switch to your platform. That's one of the things I disliked about those ads. I popped over to the comments to see if I was the only one or not. Good to see it's not just me.

AppleVsAndroid
Aug 13, 2013, 11:48 AM
Negative ads do work because more than 50% of the herd is not that intelligent to decide what to buy. They buy things which are cheap and looks superior to their rivals no matter that don't work in reality. Its all about making themselves feel good and smart lol
Also bigger screen iPhone IF it comes will get back those buyers which switched to samsung only for the reason of big screen. Finally Apple wins, yes because I say so :p

Josheh
Aug 13, 2013, 11:54 AM

This, this right here. Apple puts a bit more thought into the features they add rather than just tossing useless features in (I feel this way about their computers especially. They're kept clean and simple, to the basics of what I really need. They're not bloated with tons of junk). I have a few friends that like to tout all the latest and greatest features, but most of them are... meh, whatever. Realistically, my phone does everything it is suppose to, especially the being a phone part.

Though, I will admit, there are some upcoming technologies I'd like to see put into the phone. It's at a point though where that tech isn't widespread yet, so it doesn't bother me that they leave it out. They may not always be leading the charge, but they're also not weighting us down with useless stuff.

On the flip side of all this, I do think Apple needs to bring a little bang into their next iteration. It has felt a bit like a slow and steady pace, a good one albeit, but still. However, that slow and steady pace doesn't scare me away. At the core of it all, I have what I need/want out of a phone.

----------

Customer service, no one can even touch them lol. I have gone into an apple store, walk out with a new phone.

It shocked me the first time this happened to me. I loved it, it was great. I'm not a big fan of dealing with customer service or going into the Apple store because of the people, the crowds. They got me in and out though and respected my level of knowledge with technology, so didn't feel like I was being talked down to.

My dealings with other companies, to get any sort of reasonable customer service, usually came down to making a big deal on their Facebook page before they'd actually give me some real customer service. Even then, it was spotty.

FloatingBones
Aug 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
I wonder when Samsung are going to develop their own OS to rival IOS, Oh wait! What about Bada ;)

Fascinating. I hadn't heard about Bada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bada) (which seems to have died on 25 February 2013) or its slipping successor Tizen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen). Do any Samsung fans (or anyone else) think this will ever amount to anything?

Technarchy
Aug 13, 2013, 11:57 AM
It's sad but negative ads do work.

Who says trolling doesn't pay off?

Works for Samsung...

Gasu E.
Aug 13, 2013, 11:57 AM

No, but perhaps you are the only one with an unbias opinion of how unbias you are. You pacifically site the S4 and the HTC One. Your pitcher should be in the Hall of Fame. :p

BvizioN
Aug 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
Surprisingly, a good amount of friends and family are considering switching mobile platforms. Most cite Apple's lack of customer service with their devices

Lol, now you are making fun of yourself :D:D

KdParker
Aug 13, 2013, 12:01 PM

Sure. The device is good, but android is my issue. I still don't think it is as good as iOS.

Gasu E.
Aug 13, 2013, 12:02 PM

Did Apple replace the iPhone or the bottle of Coke??:confused:

bbeagle
Aug 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
I thought the commercials were brilliant, funny and witty. And I live in the apple ecosystem. Why did you think the ads sucked?

I thought the Samsung ads were nothing of the sort. Neither brilliant, funny, nor witty. More like childish, stupid and lame.

They were picking fun at people standing in line - which MOST people do some time or another for things they like concerts, or Black Friday sales. Anyone who's stood in line before knows the jerks who come by and pick on others because they don't share the same passion. I remember standing in line for a Star Wars movie (only 15 minutes in line), and some jerks (jocks in a pickup truck) came by and laughed and threw stuff at the Darth Vaders and Princess Leias dressed up. I wasn't dressed up at all, mind you. I was wearing normal clothing, not a big Star Wars fan, but just wanted to see the movie. I was just taken aback how nasty some people can be to others. The people dressed up were having fun. Let others like what they like, they're not hurting anyone.

Samsung's commercial reminded me of these types of jerks. The kicker was the stupid line about 'whoa! the headphone jack is ON THE BOTTOM'. This is soooo stupid and juvenile. NOBODY I know who has an iPhone even recognized this change. No Apple literature even referenced this change. This is just a poor way to try and make fun of people to something that is not even relevant.

That's just my opinion. And a lot of people whom are neither Apple fans or haters have similar feelings.

It DID work in the fact that the name 'Samsung' associated with 'Phones' is out there more.

bedifferent
Aug 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
so how the heck is there a situation where "neither take responsibility"? :confused:

That's the question I asked. Sprint is accepting no responsibility, it's frustrating.

Unrelated to this matter, Apple has become very strict with iPhone replacements. A few years ago, Apple changed policy by restricting how iPhone's are replaced, requiring strict approval through a chain of checks. This was in response to various Genius bars approving replacements, resulting in websites listing what locations have lenient replacement policies. Apple squelched it.

----------

Lol, now you are making fun of yourself :D:D

How so? I expressed their opinion, not mine.

Lord, some of you need to relax, I didn't insult Apple, your mother, or xxxxx person.

I have sense revised my comment to be more clear.

Hastings101
Aug 13, 2013, 12:12 PM

Amazon :p

Though they're not really the same type of company

inlinevolvo
Aug 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
I thought the Samsung ads were nothing of the sort. Neither brilliant, funny, nor witty. More like childish, stupid and lame.

They were picking fun at people standing in line - which MOST people do some time or another for things they like concerts, or Black Friday sales. Anyone who's stood in line before knows the jerks who come by and pick on others because they don't share the same passion. I remember standing in line for a Star Wars movie (only 15 minutes in line), and some jerks (jocks in a pickup truck) came by and laughed and threw stuff at the Darth Vaders and Princess Leias dressed up. I wasn't dressed up at all, mind you. I was wearing normal clothing, not a big Star Wars fan, but just wanted to see the movie. I was just taken aback how nasty some people can be to others. The people dressed up were having fun. Let others like what they like, they're not hurting anyone.

Samsung's commercial reminded me of these types of jerks. The kicker was the stupid line about 'whoa! the headphone jack is ON THE BOTTOM'. This is soooo stupid and juvenile. NOBODY I know who has an iPhone even recognized this change. No Apple literature even referenced this change. This is just a poor way to try and make fun of people to something that is not even relevant.

That's just my opinion. And a lot of people whom are neither Apple fans or haters have similar feelings.

It DID work in the fact that the name 'Samsung' associated with 'Phones' is out there more.

I didn't get the impression samsung way bullying apple fans. Did you feel apple was bullying windows fans with the switch to a Mac campaign back in the early 2000s? I loved those commercials too.

The move of the headphone jack was described during the keynote, so I think that is how the commercial made the comparison? Is it a stretch in calling it a feature, maybe, but it is an ad, not a fact sheet.

The ad was mocking people standing in line waiting for a product that now had features the competition had last year, big screen, LTE and instant sharing. While I'm not saying I agree with this statement, that was the message of the ad.

To each his own. Given how much the ad has been talked about, I didn't see it as a failure. Though you seem to agree it delivered a message about samsung phones.

WestonHarvey1
Aug 13, 2013, 12:43 PM
I'm not surprised by Samsung's success at all. It's always been obvious to me that a premium smartphone brand would emerge for people who have no taste. What surprises me is that it took this long.

jfx94
Aug 13, 2013, 12:56 PM
I think the "tipping point" actually occurred much earlier but was finally recognized by Samsung when they put out those ads.

This assumes Gladwell's definition of tipping point.

skinned66
Aug 13, 2013, 01:04 PM
Maybe if the "brand" was a cow.

scottwaugh
Aug 13, 2013, 01:07 PM

I agree, I thought they were funny and I'm happily in the Apple ecosystem as well.

Considering the target market for the commercial were the "young, hip, teenagers" folks they tried to portray the iPhone crowd as the old, out of touch group - it was a good commercial.

blackcrayon
Aug 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
I didn't get the impression samsung way bullying apple fans. Did you feel apple was bullying windows fans with the switch to a Mac campaign back in the early 2000s? I loved those commercials too.

No, I got the impression Apple was making fun of what some considered to be the disadvantages of Windows PCs in comparison to Macs. I don't remember every commercial though, so there may have been some exceptions.

I didn't think the commercial about PCs getting sick with viruses meant that people using them contracted lots of viral illnesses. I didn't think the "Cancel or Allow" jab at Windows Vista's UAC was a jab at PC users either. At the most, you could argue that making fun of the Win PC *product* would in turn make fun of the users (as in, look at those silly people that actually bought the product!, etc)- but then that could be said of any ad that favorably compares one product to another.

It didn't initially occur to me that people would think "I'm a Mac" meant "I'm a Mac User"... I took it at face value, that the actors in the commercial were trying to personify the machines themselves, not the people that used them.

SockRolid
Aug 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
... we’re a Korean company starting to really mess with the order of things.

Still trying to ride the Gangnam Style wave.
Good luck with that.

inkswamp
Aug 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
These Samsung ads are just awful.

I don't begrudge any company going after a competitor directly in their ads, but generally speaking, it's undignified if you're the biggest player in a market going after someone else. If you're the underdog, sure. Have at it. Amazon or Microsoft, for example, going after the iPad in their ads is fair game. Wendy's going after McDonalds. Sure. Pepsi going after Coke. Sure. Apple taking swipes at Microsoft. Sure.

Samsung, if I'm not mistaken, is selling way more phones than Apple, so why these ads exist is just a mystery. It just makes Samsung look like the playground bully.

In addition, it's strange to me that Samsung is taking potshots at the users instead of the product itself. I don't understand. If they're trying to win these people over, why are they insulting them?

I don't understand such a hostile approach.

gnryushi
Aug 13, 2013, 01:35 PM
The ONLY thing Samsung has going for it is their Galaxy phone line. Even then I wouldn't consider buying it. Samsung is promoting their line from a gimmicky point of view so for some people it works but others, like myself, pass. But let's see: I don't buy Samsung computers. I buy Apple and build my custom gaming rig. I don't buy Samsung TVs, I buy Sony. I don't buy Samsung receivers I buy Denon or Integra. I sure as hell won't buy Samsung cameras. I buy Canons. And their washers and dryers? Pass. I buy Maytag. To sum it up, I don't see the value proposition in any of their product lines. I see it in others.

Small White Car
Aug 13, 2013, 01:50 PM

How do you explain Apple-HP-Dell in the personal computer market?

I thought Android would be like Windows. Meaning they'd get a "Dell" and an "HP." So what made you think that would be the case ahead of time?

ValSalva
Aug 13, 2013, 01:50 PM
Arno is a wanna-be. Everything he says are things he wants to be true, but are not. Samsung is what you settle for. It's what's better than average at the moment.

dazed
Aug 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
It was a very effective ad campaign.

Shame Apple can't do ads like this anymore. Their recent batches have been incredibly boring and make their products seem stale.

Time for apple to change ad agencies?

kudukudu
Aug 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
I agree with the folks who liked the ads. I thought they were fresh, cheeky and had a hip feel to them. This is the kind of ad apple put out about 5 years ago with the PC versus Mac series.

While you can nitpick at the Samsung ad and complain about the implementation of some of the android features (I can't comment since I don't have any direct experience with either android or Samsung), they are sure a lot funnier and enjoyable to watch than the latest batch of apple pie lifestyle adds coming out of Cupertino these days.

CEmajr
Aug 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
I agree that the ads worked well and did wonders for Samsung in addition to some "inspiration" from Apple in their products. Last year they successfully marketed the Galaxy brand as the alternative to the iPhone and that's all it took.

bbeagle
Aug 13, 2013, 02:36 PM

I think the 'I'm a Mac' ads were very different to the Samsung/Apple ads. The Samsung ads directly attack Apple users and fans, while the Mac and PC ads used people to represent the hardware/software, not the fans.

I found some of the 'I'm a Mac' ads to be childish or lame, but most of them were funny in the way John Hodgman played the PC. He was a bumbling fool, but also very charismatic and someone who would seem to be fun to be around. The Mac guy was more pompous, not as likeable, but the straight man to the funny guy. They were fun ads to watch, like watching Laurel & Hardy or another stand up comedy gig that related to Apple/PC in a way.

I don't see any 'comedy' in picking on Apple users for loving a headphone jack on the bottom. It's just picking on, not comedy.

Just like Carrot Top's comedy is different from Jim Gaffigan's. Or Andrew Dice Clay is different from Bill Cosby. You can like one and not like the other.

VulchR
Aug 13, 2013, 02:44 PM
So... Samsung want a conversation with me? Well, how about this: 'Go **** yourself with your negative advertising.'

I do wish Apple and Samsung woudl stop acting like petulant children who've had too much Irn-Bru (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru).

SeattleMoose
Aug 13, 2013, 02:48 PM
Ironic...a clone criticizing the original.

yellowtruck
Aug 13, 2013, 02:52 PM
I posted a song I made in Garageband on youtube. I found someone ripped it off, the same innovative beat and catchy melody but expanded upon it with a sweet bass line and added beat accents. I totally got “Samsunged”

TV markets in the 70's and 80's got Samsaunged and then computers and laptops, ripping off designs and tech left and right. Their CEO Lee Kun-hee was charged with bribe influential prosecutors, judges, and political figures 2008. He was already charged with fraud years prior.

Samsung is denying accusations it intentionally created its Galaxy S4 chip to function better when being tested by reviewers than it does in reality.

The allegations of benchmark fraud began circulating after a renowned review site discovered the Galaxy S4 graphics processor appeared to be rigged to run at a higher clock speed than usual.

The tests involved the Exynos 5 Octa chip that is found in South Korean and other foreign versions of the phone. The chip is not used in North American or U.K. editions of the device.

The U.S. International Trade Commission's investigative staff on Monday said Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. may deserve sanctions for not complying with a judge's order to hand over information on some of its planned products to Ericsson Inc.

Ericsson, which is accusing Samsung of importing smartphones that infringe several of its patents, won a ruling in April that ordered the South Korean electronics giant to turn over information on any products it planned to roll out before the evidentiary hearing.

Dont get "samsunged"!!!!

yvr
Aug 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
I think the samsung ads are clever, well written, and obviously attract attention. I use an iPhone, and wherever I go, I see way more iPhones than anything else. There are numerous reports of Android selling more than iOS, but where are all these phones? I don't see them in use.

heutusops
Aug 13, 2013, 03:24 PM
you've to admit it, samsung IS the marketing king. too bad apple is the innovation king:rolleyes:

paul4339
Aug 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
I think the goal of Get a Mac campaign is different the Samsung campaign.

Windows was a dominant product that people (generally) did not have an emotion connection with. So targeting the Windows product in an attempt to get Windows users to dump their product and switch over to Apple products worked.

The Samsung campaign is not targeting Apple users to switch over to Samsung (at least I don't think it is).

The campaign is more effective at attracting people that dislike iPhone users. I don't think that it will create an emotion connection with their brand and I also don't think that it paints Samsung as a innovative brand (if that's what they want to achieve). I do think that it possibly can attract young undecided potential customers to try their product.

IMO, this campaign will likely not go down in history as a 'Pepsi Challenge'.

ghettochris
Aug 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah, you keep telling yourself about how unbiased you are. :rolleyes:

The GS4 is a great device and so is the HTC One. But they appeal to different tastes. And when you ask a fandroid specifically what Apple must do to get ahead, they just repeat what you just said. "Apple needs to innovate" doesn't cut it anymore, unless you specifically state what you feel is "innovation."

my guess is in their minds, innovation=bigger screen, NFC, quad core, oled, 50 mp camera, 1.21 gigawatts of ram, etc... Mostly screensize, better specs, or nfc, which I still haven't seen any opportunity to use in my life, don't want, and don't really care about as long as it does things well.

apple innovates by destroying a market about every 4 years. imac, iPod, iPhone, iPad. next one due soon, my guess is iWatch, since the wrist watch killed the pocketwatch, which is what the phone is now, and how people think it is stupid and pointless, just like when rumors of those other ones came out. phones are mature now, you slowly refine them, which is what the galaxy s4 was too. except they added innovative stuff like eye pause, smart scroll and group play :rolleyes:

dmw16
Aug 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
There's been no major innovation from either Samsung or Apple recently. But I say, so what? Samsung is wrapped up trying to make air gestures and bigger screens out to be major break-thrus. They aren't. There hasn't been any major technology recently that would allow some kind of major innovation.

My biggest beef with this commercial is all it does it make fun of the competition and that shows that you are building an inferior product and want to tear it down to build yourself up.

You don't see the likes of Ferrari, BMW, or Porsche making adds that mock their competition like this. They know they are the yard stick against which others are measured so they don't need to.

spork183
Aug 13, 2013, 06:10 PM
I've now seen that myself & after my previous phone which was an S3, there's no way on Gods green earth I'd choose Samsung over Apple, I don't care if Samsung offered free lap dances for life with their devices.

Forget the debate, tell me more about these free Samsung lap dances...

There's been no major innovation from either Samsung or Apple recently.

How can you say that with lap dances looming. Who says Samsung can't innovate?

Macyourdayy
Aug 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
First of all, the word you're looking for is "unbiased", not "unbias."

More importantly, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it does.":rolleyes:

What do you expect from 12 year olds with so much ADD that they can't even concentrate on their games long enough to not fill previously interesting forums with tedious drivel and English as a third language grammar.

Macyourdayy
Aug 13, 2013, 07:54 PM
There's been no major innovation from either Samsung or Apple recently. But I say, so what? Samsung is wrapped up trying to make air gestures and bigger screens out to be major break-thrus. They aren't. There hasn't been any major technology recently that would allow some kind of major innovation.

My biggest beef with this commercial is all it does it make fun of the competition and that shows that you are building an inferior product and want to tear it down to build yourself up.

You don't see the likes of Ferrari, BMW, or Porsche making adds that mock their competition like this. They know they are the yard stick against which others are measured so they don't need to.

I'm not sure what you mean by innovation in relation to apple. Is the concept and execution of two (actually at least three) devices that spawned/changed/demolished entire industries not enough? What else does a "phone" need to do? There will be more, just not necessarily what anyone expects and it will not be apparent to most people even when it's presented.

And yes, why would Apple bother acknowledging the other players (or bottom feeders)? Yes yes it's just like an iPhone only cheaper and you will definitely not regret committing to a two year contract for this turd, sorry, product, because people that buy Apple are just........
You know the rest.

Dzupiris
Aug 13, 2013, 08:02 PM
i find it amusing how samsung knocks the company from which 90% of their "ideas" come from...

+1

zync
Aug 13, 2013, 08:54 PM
Lenior also stated that Samsung still sees itself as a "challenger" and invests heavily in research and development to stay behind.

Fixed that for them. So they're barely ahead of a device that came out six months before theirs? So what happens in two months? Oh that's right. They're behind again. And even being behind right now is subjective. I couldn't care less about most of their innovation.

You can't ever get ahead if you rely on the innovation of others just to survive. Apple pretty much built the market and still leads it with a phone that is "behind." And it shows, because Samsung feels the need to make ads attacking their competition. Apple stopped doing Mac vs. PC when their popularity increased and they stopped seeing other people as competition. Do your own thing. Forge your own path. Focus on making your own device great rather than just making it better than the current iPhone. Be unique.

I know that's difficult advice for a bunch of stuffed suits that have no taste or real ambition, but give it a chance. At least you make great TVs.

NewbieCanada
Aug 13, 2013, 09:04 PM
The Samsung S4 fans don't understand that size is not the be-all-end-all.

I'm pretty sure their partners do. :p:eek:

Macyourdayy
Aug 13, 2013, 11:35 PM

I know that's difficult advice for a bunch of stuffed suits that have no taste or real ambition, but give it a chance. At least you make great TVs.

After mistakenly buying one of their 7000 series screens a couple of years ago, I disagree with your suggestion that their tv's aren't rubbish as well. It was a vile POS that took me almost a year to unload (the store I bought it from took it back and offered a choice of replacement). After much research, I settled on a Sony HX92 series, although I was very apprehensive after my experience with the Samesung and previous Sony equipment.
Two years later, I'm still very happy with the Sony and can heartily recommend it to anyone. It probably has the highest quality picture of any domestically available TV, comparing favorably with their $30k+ professional broadcast monitors (that I assess programs on daily). I can't say the same for Samesung and their professional equipment....oh wait.... they don't make any. The "smart" side of the Sony is still rubbish like all the others, but it's fine as a dumb screen with a PVR and Apple TV.
Samesung are also destroying the competition by stealing their technology and artificially undercutting them because of their government backing/blackmail.

geniusj
Aug 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
iSyncr syncs iTunes over WiFi to your devices, including play counts and metadata etc:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.iSyncr&hl=en_GB

I used to use iTunes+iSyncr and it worked relatively well, but eventually I just bit the bullet and synced all of my music to Google Music (cloud). It works much better for me as I don't have to choose which music I want on my device. It is also accessible from any android phone and any web browser. You can also choose (from the device) which songs/playlists/albums/artists that you want to keep offline copies of locally. The main downside for me is that there is no iOS app, you have to use mobile safari for playing music on iOS. If you're living in the Android ecosystem though, it is probably the way to go

----------

my guess is in their minds, innovation=bigger screen, NFC, quad core, oled, 50 mp camera, 1.21 gigawatts of ram, etc... Mostly screensize, better specs, or nfc, which I still haven't seen any opportunity to use in my life, don't want, and don't really care about as long as it does things well.

apple innovates by destroying a market about every 4 years. imac, iPod, iPhone, iPad. next one due soon, my guess is iWatch, since the wrist watch killed the pocketwatch, which is what the phone is now, and how people think it is stupid and pointless, just like when rumors of those other ones came out. phones are mature now, you slowly refine them, which is what the galaxy s4 was too. except they added innovative stuff like eye pause, smart scroll and group play :rolleyes:

The applications for NFC are numerous, but the ecosystem is being limited because of Apple's lack of support. There isn't a good way to do what NFC does on an iPhone (QR is about as good as you'll get), so companies cater to the lowest common denominator.

I think NFC is one of those things that once the iPhone has it, you won't want to give it up.

Iconsonly
Aug 14, 2013, 01:01 AM
I find it funny no one here gets the point if the recent ads released by each company. Apple ads have been made for current users in order to keep its fan base and get them to upgrade. Samsung ads are for those looking for a smartphone in today's market. Samsung is not trying to woo iphone users they could care less they are trying to move new smartphone adopters and current android users in their direction and its working. Ios devices are already seen as old school by teens ( I will say ipad still holds its ground with the teens). End game bieng when ever the girls want to share media (underground songs) with the iPhone users they have to take special steps in wich they will upload to youtube or something for them. In the end apple is running circle jerk ads ( wow can I download the commercial music its so elegant) its made of premium material (because aluminum is such an expensive material negative ads are horrible). Ipone users also like to talk about ease of use kinda cool argument until you find out 3rd party apps cant integrate with the OS meaning your Skype contacts arent in your connected to your contacts. Yes we all know your single platform walkie talkie apps work great. Sorry for being so blunt also please correct me if iphone has integrated cross platform apps.

tekno
Aug 14, 2013, 02:13 AM
But yeah, it's great that Apple has competition. But me personally I'm done with whole smart phone fad, yeah I still own one and use it all the time, but I really don't have excitement about a new one coming out. They are all pretty much the same now, just give me one with a battery that lasts longer.

This sums up my thoughts exactly. It's a phone. I pick the one I fancy at the time, whatever brand it might be - it's not a life-changing decision.

Reading most of the Samsung/Apple comments on here really brighten my day though - it's like a bunch of bickering school kids. "Mine's better." "No, mine's better."

I don't care if Apple win or lose, but it'll be fun watching the comments on here as their market share continues to decline.

zync
Aug 14, 2013, 07:21 AM
I find it funny no one here gets the point if the recent ads released by each company. Apple ads have been made for current users in order to keep its fan base and get them to upgrade. Samsung ads are for those looking for a smartphone in today's market. Samsung is not trying to woo iphone users they could care less they are trying to move new smartphone adopters and current android users in their direction and its working.

Sorry, I thought this was well understood.

It's the same with Coke vs. Pepsi (especially in the 80s and 90s) and pretty much all markets that have a clear leader.

The leader sticks to the brand, and the upstart makes zany commercials to attempt to attract those that don't have loyalty to the leading brand.

----------

After mistakenly buying one of their 7000 series screens a couple of years ago, I disagree with your suggestion that their tv's aren't rubbish as well.

What exactly was bad about it? I don't remember exactly which version mine is (it's like a Series 6 or something that I got it in 2010), but it's been an awesome television. I have no complaints. I also prefer the look of Samsung's displays over Sony and they're cheaper to boot—by a large factor.

Maybe you got a dud?

Macyourdayy
Aug 14, 2013, 08:01 AM
[/COLOR]

What exactly was bad about it? I don't remember exactly which version mine is (it's like a Series 6 or something that I got it in 2010), but it's been an awesome television. I have no complaints. I also prefer the look of Samsung's displays over Sony and they're cheaper to boot—by a large factor.

Maybe you got a dud?[/QUOTE]

Two duds actually and it was the 7 series now that you mention it. The first one went back within a week, mainly because vision below around 30% luminance was brown, purple or blue mush. The second one had what I thought was a more normal picture, but the black levels jumped around between shots, credit rollers and news crawls would jitter, the sound and vision would disappear for up to a minute if you went to the EPG waiting for it to load, and once you scrolled down two or three stations, it would go off again for up to a minute, there was about a 15° viewing angle horizontally before the picture would wash out like a cheap laptop and about 4° vertically and the Samsung people thought this wasn't a problem.
The last straw was trying to watch The Bone Collector. When Ang was underground, the most that was defined was her face. I had no idea what she was supposed to be looking at or for. This was an HD broadcast that I recorded for reference. When I played it back on the Sony, it was amazingly clean and well graded and you could see everything as intended and as you would expect. There are virtually no introduced processing artefacts like most flat screens. You can pretty much tell the original source codecs and even down conversion artefacts (from HD to SD), like on professional broadcast monitors. I am picky, but I just grew to loath that Sammy, and this is before I was really aware of how much they were copying their competitors. The Internet connection/response on it reminded me of dial up - the Sony isn't hugely better in that regard, but usable if you don't have better options.
I found that the Sony also had the most accurate colour and wide dynamic range, as opposed to bright and contrasty, once I had it at home.
Maybe they supply the States with the A grade builds.

aarond12
Aug 14, 2013, 08:37 AM
I'm seconding that. I have boycotted all things Samsung.

zync
Aug 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
Two duds actually and it was the 7 series now that you mention it. The first one went back within a week, mainly because vision below around 30% luminance was brown, purple or blue mush. The second one had what I thought was a more normal picture, but the black levels jumped around between shots, credit rollers and news crawls would jitter, the sound and vision would disappear for up to a minute if you went to the EPG waiting for it to load, and once you scrolled down two or three stations, it would go off again for up to a minute, there was about a 15° viewing angle horizontally before the picture would wash out like a cheap laptop and about 4° vertically and the Samsung people thought this wasn't a problem.
The last straw was trying to watch The Bone Collector. When Ang was underground, the most that was defined was her face. I had no idea what she was supposed to be looking at or for. This was an HD broadcast that I recorded for reference. When I played it back on the Sony, it was amazingly clean and well graded and you could see everything as intended and as you would expect. There are virtually no introduced processing artefacts like most flat screens. You can pretty much tell the original source codecs and even down conversion artefacts (from HD to SD), like on professional broadcast monitors. I am picky, but I just grew to loath that Sammy, and this is before I was really aware of how much they were copying their competitors. The Internet connection/response on it reminded me of dial up - the Sony isn't hugely better in that regard, but usable if you don't have better options.
I found that the Sony also had the most accurate colour and wide dynamic range, as opposed to bright and contrasty, once I had it at home.
Maybe they supply the States with the A grade builds.

Weird. I have none of those issues. I'm also quite picky. I work in production, post, and animation, and I often do color work. Maybe we do get different units in the US. My parents also have a Samsung, and it has always been fine every time we've used it.

I have a Samsung Blu Ray player though, and its connection is pretty crappy. It can't play Netflix for crap sometimes and I have a 35/35 connection. There's plenty of bandwidth, and it's connected to an N Airport 15 feet away through glass doors. It shouldn't be wanting. It also hangs sometimes when connecting but luckily the power button on the remote doesn't seize as well.

ramuman
Aug 14, 2013, 10:42 AM
It could just be me, but I find my friends with Android phone to be absolutely obnoxious in starting and trying to maintain an argument out of the blue.

I was at a dinner with a few friends and one had the S4 and he kept trying to change the channel on some TVs. It didn't work, but it was at the level of what Gizmodo did a few years back. He kept saying I couldn't do that with my 5. He was right, I'm also not 10 years old.

My iPhone is just a capable phone to me at the end of the day - a well designed one, but not one where I feel I need to try to perform moronic tricks in public places to prove my self worth.

alexgowers
Aug 14, 2013, 04:24 PM
The Ads have only made me dislike samsung and all their products. I discourage everyone I know from samsung products and actively promote anything else.

In the long run any AD attacking the customer or making any assumption that they've made a stupid decision is not a good one.

Samsung may think the dialogue is good but it was at a huge cost.

They were trying to associate themselves with apple to garner reflected glory, I don't see any adverts that don't do that, but they all manage not to piss off the customers.

Sorry Samsung but you're the epitome of the evil corporation and you won't be grinning forever. Also i'm sure samsung don't make anything like the percentage profit apple do and that is with their product being cut price too. It must really hurt to see apple still making a killing with one product and selling it at a higher cost.

ONE LAST THING:

Samsung is the bigger company not the little guy, but no matter how big they are somehow they portray themselves as the underdog!

Glideslope
Aug 14, 2013, 04:37 PM
I hear Robert Plant singing Ramble On. :apple:

skratch77
Aug 15, 2013, 09:34 AM
Samsung became successful because with the help of Google it thoroughly copied Apple's iPhone design and selling it cheaper. In other words Samsung is a thief.

So you think the gs3,note,note 2,gs4,gs4 mini,active and zoom look like apple devices ?

OK bud Lol

bpcookson
Aug 16, 2013, 08:04 AM
How do you explain Apple-HP-Dell in the personal computer market?

I thought Android would be like Windows. Meaning they'd get a "Dell" and an "HP." So what made you think that would be the case ahead of time?

Well, I don't really see the personal computer market that way. Rather, HP and Dell are the two big runners racing to the bottom via volume sales while Apple has sidestepped the market by being the only one to sell premium products as a primary offering. Yes, competitors have begun offering MBA clones and you can argue that people are buying them, but Dell and HP are only doing this to remain relevant in the consumer market. Their real volume is in enterprise sales:

http://jonpeddie.com/images/uploads/news/Pie%20chart%20-%20workstation%20vendor%20share%20for%20Q1'13%20rev2.jpg

One look at that chart shows you that HP and Dell have nothing to do with Apple in the grand scheme of things (at least not for the foreseeable future). So, once again, we see a two horse race. Ultimately, this is why Apple calls themselves a software company and historically pit themselves against Windows: they're not competing on hardware. I mean, honestly, you can't even begin to look at the build quality of any given Windows based consumer PC (plastic or otherwise) and argue that their hardware is comparable to Apple's; it's a foregone conclusion. And precisely because Apple's hardware is patently superior, they are within reason to tout their software first; the hardware simply speaks for itself.