PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Wallstreet...THROWN FROM THE 4TH FLOOR!!!

applefan1997
Nov 17, 2005, 08:10 PM
Hello people. Last week I went and stayed at hotel. It wasnt fancy, just plain and below motel 6. I assume that employees there dont know about macs a lot. I had my wallstreet(It was like my second computer, a 12 inch passive matrix model). It's missing the back bezel, making it look a little broken. I went out, and I left the wallstreet in the room near the bed. I came back and the janitor cleaned the room. I looked near the bed, and NO WALLSTREET!!!:eek: I ran and askid him where is my powerbook- you know, a black rectangle? He said, oh that 'thing!', its down in the alley with the trash.I couldnt believe it! I then said can I get it? THEN GET THIS, he told me, laughing, that "oh, no, i threw it down the window, and this is the 4th floor." I was stunned. I ran and got it anyway. The entire right rear corner Where the IR port is was smashed on the case, and the insides were bent up.
the mothrboard was bent up in said place, and I could read it was where the video controller is. The screen was smashed, the keyboard bent up, and the part where the speaker is broke off, hanging only by 2 wires. The battery somehow popped out and had it's casing smashed, and I think it's broken. The right hinge was pulled off, and it want with half of the bezel. I left it in storage, and I never powerd the powerbook on. It's really worth seeing.
Will try to post pics IF i can.
Thanks!!! Let me know whatever you think!!!

puckhead193
Nov 17, 2005, 08:14 PM
i think you can sue the hotel people have no right to throw out anything, only if its in the trash. But that sucks

MacTruck
Nov 17, 2005, 08:21 PM
WTF? They threw your computer away? I would be beating that guy with it.

Chundles
Nov 17, 2005, 08:23 PM
I would be raining fire down on that hotel, they have no right to touch anything in your room.

MacTruck
Nov 17, 2005, 08:25 PM
So what did you say to the hotel? Sounds like nothing. Actually, sounds like a bunch of bull. Starting to find it hard to believe a janitor would throw away a laptop and on top of that out a 4th story balcony.

stridey
Nov 17, 2005, 08:26 PM
Are you sure you didn't just leave it on the edge of the balcony? You know, and it just sort of fell....

(I'm not being serious, btw. it's an in-joke from a while back)

Bibulous
Nov 17, 2005, 08:28 PM
I call BS without pictures :(

applefan1997
Nov 17, 2005, 08:30 PM
I didn't say much. The powerbook wasnt my main computer,so it wasnt as important. i just took it with me that time. Nothing personal was on it, just Mac OS 9.0, Appleworks, and thats about it. The CD drive, 256MBRAM, and modem survived, along with the processor, and HD i cant say for.It does suck, as I was planning to build an all in one flat panel computer with it.
EDIT to recent replies: They threw it down the 4th floor because i guess is a lot of walking and there is a 'private' alley that they use for trash. I still wonder why they thought it was trash, I really do...
And I will try to post pics If I can get my Olympus camerato work again.
AND:
I really wouldnt sue because I cant get much from a lawsuit, i mean the thing is worth $50.unless if you can say you paid 3000 for it new and it is a huge loss, but i dont think you can, can you?

killuminati
Nov 17, 2005, 08:31 PM
I call BS

I was thinking the same thing, but I can't think of any reason for somebody to make this up. So assuming this did happen, I'd sue the **** out of that hotel.

Jon'sLightBulbs
Nov 17, 2005, 08:33 PM
Haha. You'd be a prime candidate for the church of scientology. After a while, they start to believe their own stories... Common buddy. You dropped it. Admit it. No seriously. Admit it.

matticus008
Nov 17, 2005, 08:39 PM
I'm torn! On one hand, I can't believe someone would make this up, but at the same time I can't believe that anyone in service employment would do such a thing...or that I, as the owner, wouldn't be angry. Even if it was trash, they have no right to throw it away. For all they know, it might have been recovered as part of an investigation or it might have sentimental value, or you might be fixing it for someone. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't have said anything to the manager and demanded, at the very least, the cost of repair and some additional incentive to stave off a lawsuit.

mrzeve
Nov 17, 2005, 08:41 PM
Are you sure you didn't just leave it on the edge of the balcony? You know, and it just sort of fell....

(I'm not being serious, btw. it's an in-joke from a while back)

And maybe he tripped on the powercord to.

mkrishnan
Nov 17, 2005, 08:52 PM
Ahhhh, somehow I see nothing good coming out of this thread. And I think I like it. :D

Daedalus256
Nov 17, 2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah seriously I would demand compensation from said hotel and if they didn't give it, I'd sue their ass for every penny of the laptop.

Due to your passive attitude toward this, I may have to call BS because I can't even BEGIN to imagine what I would do if some janitor threw my powerbook out a 4th floor window.

zap2
Nov 17, 2005, 09:04 PM
Wat is that had been like a 17'' new PB i would have filled out!!!!!(even if it was a old crap Mactop and yours was a nice laptop)

EricNau
Nov 17, 2005, 09:25 PM
Maybe the Janitor was playing with it too close to the window, and "oops."

Just a thought.

This is a very weird story.

mjstew33
Nov 17, 2005, 09:28 PM
I've never heard of that. Power it on, I wanna see :o

bodeh6
Nov 17, 2005, 09:51 PM
I too call BS. I don't care how much something cost me or how old. If some one breaks it they are replacing it. Also why would the janitor toss it away? It is still a computer. I should be able to leave crumbled up newspapers and my beat up laptop in a hotel room with out worry of someone tossing it. If this ever happened to me, then I would raise holy hell on the establishment. I would want compensation of the original cost of the machine and something extra have my stay completely paided for. I would call the Better Business Bureau, the highest person in the hotel chain that I can get to, etc.

crazydreaming
Nov 17, 2005, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure if I believe it or not. But I know one thing. I don't think I'm going to leave my Powerbook just sitting on the table in a hotel when I go out for the day anymore...

TDM21
Nov 17, 2005, 10:52 PM
I have to see pictures before I believe this story. After the whole "knocked my PB off the second story balcony" I don't believe any stories unless there is proof. I find it hard to believe that someone would throw any object out a 4th story window, even if it is into a alley: chance of getting fired is too great.

muffinman
Nov 17, 2005, 10:58 PM
a computer is a computer. if anyone chucked my computer into the garbage, i would do it the american way- sue them for every penny they got.

mongoos150
Nov 17, 2005, 11:00 PM
Some people really *are* that stupid, I don't doubt some jackass threw it out the window. Why on Earth would someone make up a story like that? To get some fame on macrumors.com???:rolleyes:

muffinman
Nov 17, 2005, 11:05 PM
To get some fame on macrumors.com???:rolleyes:

and become POPULAR!... on macrumors...... (which doesn't say much):o

where are the pics?

wPod
Nov 17, 2005, 11:21 PM
and become POPULAR!... on macrumors...... (which doesn't say much):o

where are the pics?

yeah, where are the pics? i think fame and fortune would only come if you said you turned it on and it worked! that would be incredible! anyone can throw a laptop out the window and have it NOT work!!! heh

Morn
Nov 18, 2005, 07:13 AM
There is a lesson to learn from this, never leave a laptop out of your site. And if you have to put it some where where someone won't see it like under the seat in the car.

Dale Cooper
Nov 18, 2005, 07:33 AM
i think you can sue the hotel

AMERICA!

crap freakboy
Nov 18, 2005, 07:51 AM
AMERICA!

'sigh' so true...bless em

Sdashiki
Nov 18, 2005, 11:27 AM
OMFG still no pictures, obvious BS....

BOOYAH!

bousozoku
Nov 18, 2005, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry! I didn't think you would miss it. It was such an awful computer, just like mine was. I got rid of mine, too, so I thought that you wouldn't miss it. It's such a piece of trash anyway. :p

Too bad about that. I'd be having the owner of the motel reimburse me for another one. It's gotta be worth $50 but of course, it was worth more to you as a working computer. I'm just thankful that I don't have mine anymore.

Daedalus256
Nov 18, 2005, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry! I didn't think you would miss it. It was such an awful computer, just like mine was. I got rid of mine, too, so I thought that you wouldn't miss it. It's such a piece of trash anyway. :p

Too bad about that. I'd be having the owner of the motel reimburse me for another one. It's gotta be worth $50 but of course, it was worth more to you as a working computer. I'm just thankful that I don't have mine anymore.

a wallstreet like that is probably worth around $150 to $200.

camomac
Nov 18, 2005, 12:40 PM
applefan1997-

i'm sorry, but i'm going to have to agree with
the majority of posts here and call BS.
why would you not try and turn it on? why
would you post such a disturbing story and
not post pictures? and most importantly
why would you not be pissed as hell about
some idiot tossing your laptop out of a window?
i just don't buy it.

floyde
Nov 18, 2005, 12:51 PM
Why do all fake powerbook tragedies involve a window and a several-stories-high impact? You could've at least come up with something more creative like your dog buried it in the backyard or whatever. The only real story of this kind was the one where the guy deliberately trashed his crappy XP notebook, and he had the pics to prove it. ;)

Sun Baked
Nov 18, 2005, 01:13 PM
Why do all fake powerbook tragedies involve a window and a several-stories-high impact? You could've at least come up with something more creative like your dog buried it in the backyard or whatever. The only real story of this kind was the one where the guy deliberately trashed his crappy XP notebook, and he had the pics to prove it. ;)I don't know, I still think the Puppy PC (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13656) is a classic.

All I can think of it was a Mac user teaching his puppy to use PCs instead of the newspaper. ;)

Lord Blackadder
Nov 18, 2005, 02:49 PM
pics, pics. pics. Where are they? I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, you know.

iEdd
Nov 18, 2005, 03:16 PM
Doesn't matter? Let me guess, you're just going to go out and buy another one, because money isn't a problem. However, you can't afford a working digital camera. Enjoy your coke, that's what happens when you leave your comp balancing on the railing. :D

Sun Baked
Nov 18, 2005, 03:21 PM
Doesn't matter? Let me guess, you're just going to go out and buy another one, because money isn't a problem. However, you can't afford a working digital camera. Enjoy your coke, that's what happens when you leave your comp balancing on the railing. :DNo, this one is different.

A hotel employee tosses the computer out the window because they don't know anything about Macs.

And they think his computer is trash.

Of course any hotel that tosses trash out the window is probably renting rooms by the hour.

:D

killuminati
Nov 18, 2005, 07:11 PM
Judging by other peoples posts it seems that people have posted fake powerbook incidents before??? Why on earth would somebody do that? As a joke?

California
Nov 19, 2005, 12:17 AM
Only thing true about this thread is someone's statement that you never let your laptop out of your sight while traveling. I just got back from a biz trip with my 14" ibook. It was on me the whole time, even in a very good Manhattan hotel. And I found out that the 14" is just slightly too large for a girl to carry all day -- now getting a 12", too.

Seasought
Nov 19, 2005, 12:21 AM
:eek:

I'm thinking throwing the janitor out the window after it would have been fitting.

Wait...

You still can!

Phat_Pat
Nov 19, 2005, 12:47 AM
this reminds me of that old powerbook and the balcony story

TDM21
Nov 19, 2005, 12:51 AM
this reminds me of that old powerbook and the balcony story

My thoughts exactly.

mongoos150
Nov 19, 2005, 12:55 AM
I can't believe many of you think he's actually bluffing - honestly, WHY?! Are people that damned *retarted* as to want some forum fame? I'm going to go find something better to do with my time...

MacTruck
Nov 19, 2005, 02:50 AM
*retarted*

Um, who's "retarded'?

generik
Nov 19, 2005, 05:58 AM
I am willing to bet the thread starter is a troll from sites such as smashmyipod.com

pusman83
Nov 19, 2005, 01:38 PM
I can't believe many of you think he's actually bluffing - honestly, WHY?! Are people that damned *retarted* as to want some forum fame? I'm going to go find something better to do with my time...

Welcome to the internet.

applefan1997
Nov 19, 2005, 03:30 PM
I never paid much for the laptop, only around $50 for it. It wasnt on a balcony, but on the floor, closed with a mising lid back, appearing like trash.
I cant post pics because my camera is broken and I no longer have internet at home but at the library where I cant upload pics. but YOU SHALL HAVE PICS even if it involves bringing back this thread after a long time.
I tried to power it on, but all I got was the fan spinning like mad, the light, and nothing else.

TonySwartz
Nov 19, 2005, 04:15 PM
If it wasn't important, why were you using it on "vacation"? Anything worth taking out the house is worth being pissed when someone nonchalantly throws it away.

I too call BS.

EricNau
Nov 19, 2005, 06:13 PM
If it wasn't important, why were you using it on "vacation"? Anything worth taking out the house is worth being pissed when someone nonchalantly throws it away.

I too call BS.

Maybe he didn't want to loose his good one. I bet he's glad now that he made the choice he did.

fklehman
Nov 19, 2005, 06:47 PM
My 2c:

I just ordeed a new PB 15" the other day, and once I get it I will be putting my 5-year old Pismo into the line of fire farmore than I currently do--taking it on planes, to hotels, etc., on trips, into circumstances where I normally would fear damage and/or theft. Won't be as much of an issue once the Pismo isn't my frontline machine anymore. All the same I would be CRUSHED if my Pismo fell from a balcony, or anything happened to bring about its destruction. I don't care how much newer or better my 15" will be, the Pismo is my baby, the best mac Apple ever made. I don't unerstand how the guy can not care when a Mac dies. That's why we're Mac people, we tend to be emotionally involved in our computers in a way that PC peope aren't. So to not care just doesn't make any sense. I even have a PM 7100/80 and a couple other old macs (a performa 5xx, PM7300/200, a Quadra, etc.) that I play with from time to time because I can't bring myself to get rid of them--I love to fire it up the 7100 and play SimCity 2000 or Leisure Suit Lary. I would be crushed if any of them bit it. To se a mac person not caring about what happens to his macs, even his old ones, is not credible.

I too call BS.

EricNau
Nov 19, 2005, 10:56 PM
applefan1997, Pics would be nice. Right now we have no proof - and people like proof.

camomac
Nov 21, 2005, 05:10 PM
i finally found this (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=178547) from an old post. it makes me laugh everytime.

"July 2003 - Purchased 12" PB 867

...Summer 2004
Dropped PowerBook down 1 story flight of stairs...
dropped backpack with powerbook inside of it
dropped powerbook down 2 story flight of marble stairs...
dropped powerbook on marble floor
hit powerbook against wall
fell asleep with powerbook; fell to floor

Fall 2004 / Late 04
dropped backpack with powerbook in it
dropped powerbook on floor
slammed backpack against wall hitting powerbook
dropped powerbook in airplane (fell out of cabin bin to floor)

Early 04 / Spring 2004
Dropped powerbook to floor...
slammed backpack/carrying case against wall numerous times
dropped powerbook on tile
dropped powerbook off of bed
hit powerbook against iMac G5..."

then a few comments later somebody writes:

"somebody should drop YOU down the stairs. Butterfingers."

poolin1243
Nov 21, 2005, 06:21 PM
ugh that makes me cringe...too bad i cant see the pictures...i wanna pick up a 12 incher 867 too! ahahaha