PDA

View Full Version : NBC Streaming All English Premier League Football Matches in U.S. via NBC Sports Live Extra App

MacRumors
Aug 13, 2013, 02:56 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/13/nbc-streaming-all-english-premier-league-football-matches-in-u-s-via-nbc-sports-live-extra-app/)

The English Premier League football season begins this weekend and NBC, the new rights holder for EPL games in the United States, will be streaming every game live (http://www.148apps.com/news/premier-league-watch-live-iphone/) and on-demand on both its website, and via its NBC Sports Live Extra app (http://appshopper.com/sports/nbc-olympics-live-extra) for iPhone and iPad.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/EPL.pngThis year the EPL license for the US was bought by NBC and the US will get to see every single match. Matches will show on NBC, NBC Sports, streaming from the NBC site, and for the first time ever, live streaming in the NBC Sports Live Extra app. According to NBC, every single match will be live streamed in the app. That's right, every single match of the entire EPL season. The US is the only country that gets that luxury, not even the home country of the UK gets to watch every single match. I'm a bit excited, can you tell?In order to watch the streaming games, users must authenticate via TV Everywhere.

NBC Sports Live Extra is currently available for Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, Cablevision, Suddenlink, Mediacom, Bend and Grande customers. It is a free download (http://appshopper.com/sports/nbc-olympics-live-extra) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id542511686?mt=8)]

Article Link: NBC Streaming All English Premier League Football Matches in U.S. via NBC Sports Live Extra App (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/13/nbc-streaming-all-english-premier-league-football-matches-in-u-s-via-nbc-sports-live-extra-app/)

Lord Hamsa
Aug 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
Until they start giving "cord cutters" the chance to buy these packages without a cable/satellite package, there's little point to the app. If you have cable or satellite, you'll be able to get the games live on TV. I suppose the replay feature would be nice, but unless you've got a ton of bandwidth and unlimited data, streaming away from home isn't going to work well either.

jroadley
Aug 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
I signed up to the www.premierleaguepass.com service out of New Zealand as that is a streaming only service.

I'd happily pay $100 to nbc for a streaming only service.

BHP41
Aug 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
Until they start giving "cord cutters" the chance to buy these packages without a cable/satellite package, there's little point to the app. If you have cable or satellite, you'll be able to get the games live on TV. I suppose the replay feature would be nice, but unless you've got a ton of bandwidth and unlimited data, streaming away from home isn't going to work well either.

Yep. I'll continue to pirate what ever shows or games I want. Simply because they won't offer packages on events and seasons. I don't want 9000 channels of crap just to watch one dam thing. The sooner the cable company realizes this. The better their future will be. Really hopping Apple step in and change the market the way they did for music.

whawhat
Aug 13, 2013, 03:07 PM

Nope, NBC is only showing 3 of the matches live on Saturday across NBC and NBC Sports network. The app would allow you to watch the other 4 matches live as well via the app. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Time Warner Cable is making the app accessible for subscribers (even though it costs them nothing). TWC customers are not happy about it at all:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/NBC-SPORTS-Live-Extra/td-p/411/page/6

ckelley
Aug 13, 2013, 03:10 PM
According to DIRECTV's Support Twitter account (https://twitter.com/DIRECTVService/status/367350210537586691), DIRECTV users will have access to this as well. Looks like the NBC Live Extra app either hasn't been updated or it will become available shortly before (the login itself is just a webview, so they could do this server side without pushing an update to the app). This makes me very happy!

WhoDaKat
Aug 13, 2013, 03:12 PM
Oh you mean soccer... who cares.

weckart
Aug 13, 2013, 03:12 PM
I signed up to the www.premierleaguepass.com (http://www.premierleaguepass.com) service out of New Zealand as that is a streaming only service.

I'd happily pay $100 to nbc for a streaming only service.

You might get some for less. USTVNow has six free US channels, including some that stream PL matches. There is an unofficial USTVNow Plex plugin that works with Sky's 10 Roku NowTV boxes. USTVNow is not the best streaming service but you cannot argue with the price. At the moment, there is just a lot of golf and baseball, neither of which interests me in the slightest.

You just need to sign up on the USTVNow website and pretend to be a US citizen - no address or CC required.

extradryny
Aug 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
This is very nice, since not all games will be televised. Hopefully AirPlay is built in and compression doesn't suck, since getting it onto the TV is the point (and my mileage has varied with mirroring).

alent1234
Aug 13, 2013, 03:18 PM

the price of these to cord cutters is the same as internet + cable TV

time warner you can buy internet + TV for $90. internet alone is $50. you might as well buy the cable TV sub since it will include watch ESPN that gives you access to a lot of soccer

2bikes
Aug 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
Didn`t Apple bid on Premier League several years ago?

MacFan1957
Aug 13, 2013, 03:29 PM

Well as it turns out a LOT of people. Football (Soccer to you) is the most popular and most watched sport on Earth! Its the only true World game, much more so than some sports I could name!

Silencio
Aug 13, 2013, 03:30 PM

WhoDaKat's opinion about something... WhoDaHell cares? :rolleyes:

blacktape242
Aug 13, 2013, 03:30 PM
awesome! GGMU!!!!!!!!!!!

MacFan1957
Aug 13, 2013, 03:32 PM
This is very nice, since not all games will be televised. Hopefully AirPlay is built in and compression doesn't suck, since getting it onto the TV is the point (and my mileage has varied with mirroring).

Having used it for last years Olympics I can tell you there is no Airplay and the app is awful! There is no point in streaming the content if its going to look like you have a dialup connection.

stigzy
Aug 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
So, if I understand this right. I can watch all Premier League games FREE?! in the NBC Sports Live app? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: I am from Norway btw, but got an American App Store account :)

anthdci
Aug 13, 2013, 03:37 PM
wonder if there is a way to install the app in the UK and pay for it from the UK. The coverage in the UK is terrible. If your team is playing away you cant watch the full match if it kicks off at 3pm on sat which the majority do, we are stuck with the radio or 5mins of highlights, unless you go to not strictly legal streaming sites which are mostly poor quality.

skillwill
Aug 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
If your team is playing away you cant watch the full match if it kicks off at 3pm on sat which the majority do, we are stuck with the radio or 5mins of highlights, unless you go to not strictly legal streaming sites which are mostly poor quality.

Or you can actually go to the game. Away days are the best thing about football!

blacktape242
Aug 13, 2013, 03:47 PM

if this is all you had to say why post?

:rolleyes:

football is the best sport on the planet!

rtues-d2
Aug 13, 2013, 03:50 PM
It's a shame my current cable provider isn't participating in this but on the upside, at least Manchester United's game away to Swansea is gonna be on NBC!

Skika
Aug 13, 2013, 03:54 PM

Yeah! HandEgg is way better!

JoeBobBriggs
Aug 13, 2013, 03:59 PM
So, if I understand this right. I can watch all Premier League games FREE?! in the NBC Sports Live app? Or am I missing something?

Sorry, you are going to need to be a customer of a specific US cable provider in order to use the app. It sounds very much like how WatchESPN does it, where you have to log in with your ISP account.

Since I am a customer of Verizon FIOS I wonder how much I could get for my login for the EPL? ;)

stigzy
Aug 13, 2013, 04:01 PM
Sorry, you are going to need to be a customer of a specific US cable provider in order to use the app. It sounds very much like how WatchESPN does it, where you have to log in with your ISP account.

Since I am a customer of Verizon FIOS I wonder how much I could get for my login for the EPL? ;)

How much does it cost a month for a customer of Verizon FIOS? Just wondering....

Sky Blue
Aug 13, 2013, 04:03 PM

Nope. You need to authenticate with an account from a US cable provider.

Ceebee1980
Aug 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that as of yesterday, you can watch some of the big EPL teams on DishWorld, without needing authenticated services...

http://www.dishworld.com/sports

abbstrack
Aug 13, 2013, 04:40 PM
just cut the proverbial cord with Time Warner, so this app is useless to me. Even if I didn't, Time Warner isn't supported anyway.

I second the notion that until people who want to pay content providers directly are serviced, these innovations can't be seen as anything but less than innovative.

But in time...

parish
Aug 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
Just in case Americans are confused as to what they are getting because we have football (soccer) and rugby football, here's a quick pictorial guide:

Logoman
Aug 13, 2013, 05:01 PM
Actually- Stod2-sport in Iceland is also showing EVERY match- and that on TV, not via website or app- 6 or 7 dedicated channels. Funny that they also claim to be the only one in the world offering all of the matches- so they are both wrong with that claim and right by being the only ones showing each and every game.

Treq
Aug 13, 2013, 05:07 PM
if this is all you had to say why post?

:rolleyes:

football is the best sport on the planet!

I agree, football is great, but soccer is boring. :)

Anonymous Freak
Aug 13, 2013, 05:26 PM

Why is it that soccer-haters always feel the need to interject how much they hate soccer in any article about soccer?

I dislike a few popular "sports" in the US, yet I don't insist on bitching about them every time there's an article about them...

BHP41
Aug 13, 2013, 05:33 PM
Why is it that soccer-haters always feel the need to interject how much they hate soccer in any article about soccer?

I dislike a few popular "sports" in the US, yet I don't insist on bitching about them every time there's an article about them...

I think it's because some Americans can't relate to it like they can the NFL or NBA. You know, rapist,drug dealers,gang bangers,murderers,people who think that "dis" and "dat" are actual words.

Swift
Aug 13, 2013, 05:42 PM
but we're already footballed out here. And baseballed. And hockeyed. And basketballed. Now what the various international leagues want is another prime cut off of the male American psyche. Enough. Learn something more useful, guys. Play a sport, any sport. Keep up your physical activities, you'll be happier. Don't sit your whole damn life in front of a TV watching, ironically, sports.

Duncan-UK
Aug 13, 2013, 06:18 PM

We call it football mate, we invented it, and its the most popular sport in the world.

----------

Or you can actually go to the game. Away days are the best thing about football!

And pay up to 60 for the ticket... if you can get them

TheRainKing
Aug 13, 2013, 07:07 PM

'Soccer' happens to be the most popular and widespread sport on the planet, so actually a lot of people care. By contrast, the sport that you guys call football is only popular in America, and virtually no other country in the world gives a crap about it.

Ironduke
Aug 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Just in case Americans are confused as to what they are getting because we have football (soccer) and rugby football, here's a quick pictorial guide:

Lol the midgey fly speaks lol

----------

I agree, football is great, but soccer is boring. :)

You play handegg:)

Digitalclips
Aug 13, 2013, 08:21 PM

Travel much? It is 'Football' everywhere in the World for heaven's sake. Only the USA chose to name their own game, a version of rugby no less, with the same name. Just call the US game American Football and you will be OK.

Jordans2232
Aug 13, 2013, 08:53 PM
Cannot wait for the new EPL season and awesome that NBC is showing the games!!!!!

crackbookpro
Aug 13, 2013, 10:12 PM
That's pretty sick.

Tilpots
Aug 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
TV Everywhere sucks, but it does have an upside. All you need is the username and password from a person who has an eligible provider and you're in. Ready for Saturday!

JoeBobBriggs
Aug 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
How much does it cost a month for a customer of Verizon FIOS? Just wondering....

There are various combinations and deals that are available to people with Fios.

By the way, Fios is a service provided by a regional phone company (Verizon). They provide an optical fiber connection to your house where it gets broken up into phone, internet, and cable TV.

Of course to get you to sign up for the first time they give you an amazing deal. Usually you are required to sign a two-year contract where if you cancel you have to pay a penalty. After the two-year contract expires that's when they get you.

For example right now I pay $85/month for unlimited national land line calling, a mid-tier cable TV package that includes around 100+ channels of HD and 400 channels of SD, and 50/25 Mbps of internet speed. Now if I were to get premium channels, like HBO the channel that produces "Game of Thrones" I would pay more money for that on a monthly basis. Or if I wanted to boost my internet speed.

GUILTIE
Aug 13, 2013, 11:27 PM
wonder if there is a way to install the app in the UK and pay for it from the UK. The coverage in the UK is terrible. If your team is playing away you cant watch the full match if it kicks off at 3pm on sat which the majority do, we are stuck with the radio or 5mins of highlights, unless you go to not strictly legal streaming sites which are mostly poor quality.

Wow I always figured the UK was football heaven and coverage was bad here in the US. I'm shocked to hear that's not the case!

bradl
Aug 13, 2013, 11:40 PM
Travel much? It is 'Football' everywhere in the World for heaven's sake. Only the USA chose to name their own game, a version of rugby no less, with the same name. Just call the US game American Football and you will be OK.

Not entirely true..

The AFL did the same thing: Australian Rules Football. Then again, they do call it 'footy', and it is a hell of a lot more exciting than gridiron will EVER be.

Speaking of.. when NBC and the others do the same thing with the AFL that they have with the English Premier League, sign me up.

BL.

Macist
Aug 14, 2013, 12:45 AM
Wow I always figured the UK was football heaven and coverage was bad here in the US. I'm shocked to hear that's not the case!

People really don't like paying Murdoch to watch football. TBH I can see the day where the Premier League sells itself direct to fans with no middleman - subscribe directly via an app on your smartTV/tablet/pad. No need to buy a zillion channels of rubbish from Murdoch to get the national sport.

Swift
Aug 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
'Soccer' happens to be the most popular and widespread sport on the planet, so actually a lot of people care. By contrast, the sport that you guys call football is only popular in America, and virtually no other country in the world gives a crap about it.

So what? What does it really matter? Not a bit. It's a sport. You like the one you grew up with. If you like watching through this, great. I couldn't care less. I watch mostly baseball, which is a world sport too. But I watch baseball, like most fans, because my dad brought me to a game and showed me how to keep a scorecard, and I saw Satchell Paige pitch a game when he was in his '50s. He won, which is incredible. I played the sport when I was young, so I understand it. Now, when Rupert Murdoch and media kings want to sell us on English football, I could care less. I'd like there to be fewer sports available for viewing, and more sports available for doing.

----------

People really don't like paying Murdoch to watch football. TBH I can see the day where the Premier League sells itself direct to fans with no middleman - subscribe directly via an app on your smartTV/tablet/pad. No need to buy a zillion channels of rubbish from Murdoch to get the national sport.

As long as Rupert gets a penny, screw it.

fatboyslick
Aug 14, 2013, 02:57 AM
So annoying that the US now has all games live whereas in the UK we have half!
And at a much higher price!

abz1981
Aug 14, 2013, 03:00 AM

The worlds most watched sporting event in order:

1. Football World Cup (soccer to North Americans )
2. The Olympics

RickyB
Aug 14, 2013, 03:22 AM
We call it football mate, we invented it, and its the most popular sport in the world.

The word 'soccer' is also used in the UK. The word was invented in the UK - it's short for 'association football'.

There are lots of types of football:
Association Football
American Football
Australian Rules Football
Rugby Football (both types)
Gaelic Football
and so on...

All of them (even, sometimes rugby) can be called 'football' by their fans.

NightFox
Aug 14, 2013, 06:07 AM
The word 'soccer' is also used in the UK. The word was invented in the UK - it's short for 'association football'.

There are lots of types of football:
Association Football
American Football
Australian Rules Football
Rugby Football (both types)
Gaelic Football
and so on...

All of them (even, sometimes rugby) can be called 'football' by their fans.

You forgot blow football.

Lord Hamsa
Aug 14, 2013, 06:41 AM
Nope, NBC is only showing 3 of the matches live on Saturday across NBC and NBC Sports network. The app would allow you to watch the other 4 matches live as well via the app. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Time Warner Cable is making the app accessible for subscribers (even though it costs them nothing). TWC customers are not happy about it at all:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/NBC-SPORTS-Live-Extra/td-p/411/page/6

They're also offering the package of all the other Saturday games free to the cable/satellite companies to air on additional channels, and I'm fairly certain at least the major players will take them up on that.

iMerik
Aug 14, 2013, 08:17 AM
Oh you. Don't get all worked up over this, people.

Shaun, UK
Aug 14, 2013, 09:10 AM

Sadly not. If you live here you have to shell out 45/mth for Sky + 12/mth for BT Sport just to watch all the televised games and even then you have to take what they give. Or do what I do and watch it down the pub for free. :D

I'd happily pay to watch an EPL Channel online with the option to watch any game you want. It works great here with the MLB annual pass.

TheRainKing
Aug 14, 2013, 01:38 PM
So what? What does it really matter? Not a bit. It's a sport. You like the one you grew up with. If you like watching through this, great. I couldn't care less. I watch mostly baseball, which is a world sport too. But I watch baseball, like most fans, because my dad brought me to a game and showed me how to keep a scorecard, and I saw Satchell Paige pitch a game when he was in his '50s. He won, which is incredible. I played the sport when I was young, so I understand it. Now, when Rupert Murdoch and media kings want to sell us on English football, I could care less. I'd like there to be fewer sports available for viewing, and more sports available for doing.

I'm not asking you or that other guy to like football (soccer), I was merely answering the guy who implied that no one cared about soccer. I didn't want to take a shot at american football or any other sport but sometimes it's necessary to get a point across.

JAT
Aug 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
the price of these to cord cutters is the same as internet + cable TV

time warner you can buy internet + TV for $90. internet alone is $50. you might as well buy the cable TV sub since it will include watch ESPN that gives you access to a lot of soccer

Hmm. I dropped $95/month, kept $70 for internet. And I've added back one subscription, NFL for $40/yr. So far, saving $1100/yr on TV.

You may want to keep in mind that you have **** internet for $90 bundled with ****** channel selection on TV. Costs more to get better service. (and I didn't even comment on TWC quality vs...anybody else)

----------

Speaking of.. when NBC and the others do the same thing with the AFL that they have with the English Premier League, sign me up.

BL.
Ditto.

Perfect Score
Aug 15, 2013, 05:16 PM
Hmm. I dropped $95/month, kept $70 for internet. And I've added back one subscription, NFL for $40/yr. So far, saving $1100/yr on TV.

You may want to keep in mind that you have **** internet for $90 bundled with ****** channel selection on TV. Costs more to get better service. (and I didn't even comment on TWC quality vs...anybody else)

----------

Ditto.

The thing is most broadcasters still cling to the "package deal" idea to milk more money.

They don't realize by giving subscribers what they ACTUALLY want individually, they can make even more money.

What I would be interested in know is how will they parcel out the coverage. Especially when it comes to weekend vs weekday games.