Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
For some inexplicable reason when I opened my S4 all my contacts had disappeared . Fortunately I use a program called myBackup Pro which backs up my phone once a week to the 32 gig micro SD card.I restored all my contacts in about 2 or 3 minutes. Great program.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
For some inexplicable reason when I opened my S4 all my contacts had disappeared . Fortunately I use a program called myBackup Pro which backs up my phone once a week to the 32 gig micro SD card.I restored all my contacts in about 2 or 3 minutes. Great program.

Why don't you sync them with Google?
If you do so, you will never lose a contact again.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Google Sync
Kies

Between the two this is a problem one should not have with a Samsung GS4

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Thanks to Google every smartphone experience is excellent.

Just some fit our individual preferences better.

Need proof?

I can't remember any tech debacle that forced it's CEO to grovel like the famous "Dreaded Apple Maps".

Oh wait... There was "Your Holding It Wrong" By Apple God Steve Jobs...

Then there's... Oh never mind :D

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks to Google every smartphone experience is excellent.

Just some fit our individual preferences better.

Need proof?

I can't remember any tech debacle that forced it's CEO to grovel like the famous "Dreaded Apple Maps".

Oh wait... There was "Your Holding It Wrong" By Apple God Steve Jobs...

Then there's... Oh never mind :D

Yes, they certainly handled the Nexus 4 launch well, and Google Buzz, and..... :rolleyes:

In your rush to condemn Apple for every misstep you seem to quickly forget Google's mistakes, or worse, ignore them.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It's almost impossible to lose your contacts when syncing with Google. Google keeps restore points of your contacts for about a month. So even if you delete from the browser and every device, you can still restore it to whatever certain date you want.

I found this out when cleaning up my contacts on my desktop and mistakenly deleted everything. All contacts on my desktops and devices connected to that account were gone. Was happy to find out I was able to restore. If I did that with iCloud, bye bye contacts for good.

BTW ... I do have my contacts file saved on my desktops, but I haven't updated/merged in more than 6 months so I would have still lost some numbers for good. Now it's updated, as I'll never put my complete trust in clouds.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
1) It's almost impossible to lose your contacts when syncing with Google. Google keeps restore points of your contacts for about a month.

2) So even if you delete from the browser and every device, you can still restore it to whatever certain date you want.

3) If I did that with iCloud, bye bye contacts for good.

4) I'll never put my complete trust in clouds.

Just a few thought to share for accuracy since I have some solid contacts within Google.

1a) There's some very good news, Google now creates restore points every 24 hours.

2a) True

3a) Frankly I'm very disappointed that Apple has continued and failed to fix this shortcoming. To ignore user security like this is just unacceptable.

4a) True I use Google based on years of exemplary trouble free reliability. No one does it better.

Yet I also built a very secure Synology NAS equipped server network for my home office. Being closed loop - not attached to the web - its 100% safe, secure, and blazing fast via a combo of high capacity SSD'S .

I use the cloud as a matter of convenience and sharing of non-sensative files.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes, they certainly handled the Nexus 4 launch well, and Google Buzz, and..... :rolleyes:

In your rush to condemn Apple for every misstep you seem to quickly forget Google's mistakes, or worse, ignore them.

100% right. Google has had plenty of missteps. Their customer service leaves plenty of room for improvement. And regarding launches, the 2013 Nexus 7 launch was the first one ever from them that wasn't a debacle.

Even now there seems to be issues/bugs with the new Google Maps on the N7 regarding GPS.

But anyway, back to thread topic...

----------

It's almost impossible to lose your contacts when syncing with Google. Google keeps restore points of your contacts for about a month. So even if you delete from the browser and every device, you can still restore it to whatever certain date you want.

I found this out when cleaning up my contacts on my desktop and mistakenly deleted everything. All contacts on my desktops and devices connected to that account were gone. Was happy to find out I was able to restore. If I did that with iCloud, bye bye contacts for good.

BTW ... I do have my contacts file saved on my desktops, but I haven't updated/merged in more than 6 months so I would have still lost some numbers for good. Now it's updated, as I'll never put my complete trust in clouds.

Where does one find these contact restore points? I never knew that.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just a few thought to share for accuracy since I have some solid contacts within Google.

1a) There's some very good news, Google now creates restore points every 24 hours.

Good news indeed. Actually less than 24hrs now. Try 10min. :)

Where does one find these contact restore points? I never knew that.

http://www.wikihow.com/Restore-Google-Contacts

550px-Restore-Google-Contacts-Step-5.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.