Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I am using the latest DP of Mavericks on my retina macbook pro. Every hour or so the two finger scroll on my trackpad stops working. I have to restart or log out in order for it to start working again. Has anyone else experienced this?

heyadrian

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
I've had this quite a few times with the magic mouse. Another scrolling issue I've noticed that has crept in is if:

1) Safari si in the background
2) Mail (or another app which needs scrolling) is in the foreground

Safari will always receive the scrollEvents :-/ I've tried killing SystemUIServer, tried restarting Finder, I've even tried re-associating the mouse.

I've even gone as far as reloading the IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext.

Reloading 'IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext' has worked a few times, so I've made an AS App to reload it every time it happens. Now handy, but it works!

Here's what I slapped together in AppleScript. I've put a few arb comments in so you guys can play around with it accordingly.

Code:
tell application "Terminal"
	activate -- Activate Terminal
	do script "sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext" -- run kextload using sudo
	delay 2 -- wait for the kextload to finish.. Adjust accordingly to your Mac's speed of running this
	tell application "System Events"
		keystroke "yourSudoPassword" -- your sudo password
		keystroke return -- press enter
		delay 1 -- however long it takes your mac to authenticate the sudo
		keystroke "exit" -- exit the terminal
		keystroke return
	end tell
	quit -- quit terminal totally
end tell

For those new to Apple Script.. Anything after a -- (two dashes) is a comment and has nothing to do with the actual script :D

vandoorn

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
I have the same problem. I'm on a 15" rMBP and the two finger scroll stops at least once a day and i need to do reboot in order to fix it. Highly annoying! :(

josh.ua

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Same thing on my iMac. I also had to reinstall OS X because it blacked out my screen. DP5 has caused a lot of issues :/

phenoplastic

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
same thing for me on my iMac with Magic Mouse scrolling. Suddently stops working and have to reboot to get it working again. 10.9 DP5

RobertJP

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I've had this quite a few times with the magic mouse. Another scrolling issue I've noticed that has crept in is if:

1) Safari si in the background
2) Mail (or another app which needs scrolling) is in the foreground

Safari will always receive the scrollEvents :-/ I've tried killing SystemUIServer, tried restarting Finder, I've even tried re-associating the mouse.

I've even gone as far as reloading the IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext.

Reloading 'IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext' has worked a few times, so I've made an AS App to reload it every time it happens. Now handy, but it works!

Here's what I slapped together in AppleScript. I've put a few arb comments in so you guys can play around with it accordingly.

Code:
tell application "Terminal"
	activate -- Activate Terminal
	do script "sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext" -- run kextload using sudo
	delay 2 -- wait for the kextload to finish.. Adjust accordingly to your Mac's speed of running this
	tell application "System Events"
		keystroke "yourSudoPassword" -- your sudo password
		keystroke return -- press enter
		delay 1 -- however long it takes your mac to authenticate the sudo
		keystroke "exit" -- exit the terminal
		keystroke return
	end tell
	quit -- quit terminal totally
end tell

For those new to Apple Script.. Anything after a -- (two dashes) is a comment and has nothing to do with the actual script :D

Hey there. I have this issue with the internal touchpad in my Air. It's not Bluetooth though so I'm wondering if you would have any idea the kext to reload to fix that?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I noticed this with the external mouse. The laptop trackpad works like a charm!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I am using the latest DP of Mavericks on my retina macbook pro. Every hour or so the two finger scroll on my trackpad stops working. I have to restart or log out in order for it to start working again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Did you not read the release notes for DP5? Apple intentionally noted that scrolling is going to break often in this build, more specifically when the zooming is used.

PureComplexity

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Did you not read the release notes for DP5? Apple intentionally noted that scrolling is going to break often in this build, more specifically when the zooming is used.

I should really refrain from using beta software (especially considering I'm not a developer) with such negligence, because I surely glossed over this.

This issue is absolutely dreadful. It occurs with such frequency that I have been hoping dearly for DP6. The previous Developer Previews had been operating so smoothly that I never found the need to scrutinize their release notes.

Why do I have this irresistible urge to run the latest software?

antoniogra7

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Do anyone know a temporary fix for this? Apart from restarting/logging off and on . Something like reseting a system component from terminal?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I should really refrain from using beta software (especially considering I'm not a developer) with such negligence, because I surely glossed over this.

This issue is absolutely dreadful. It occurs with such frequency that I have been hoping dearly for DP6. The previous Developer Previews had been operating so smoothly that I never found the need to scrutinize their release notes.

Why do I have this irresistible urge to run the latest software?
Most of us have the same urge but it's best to try to read those release notes when you are downloading the DP, so you change your mind about installing if there's more issues that might annoy you.

Do anyone know a temporary fix for this? Apart from restarting/logging off and on . Something like reseting a system component from terminal?

Considering that Apple often do provide command line to work around an issue, they didn't in the release note, which means the only workaround is what they said, log out/restart.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
This fix seems to work for me without having to reboot/relog-in on my MBA mid-2012 running 10.9 / DP5... Apple stated that the scrolling issue is linked to the zoom feature so here's what I did:

1. Opened System Preferences
2. Selected Accessibility
3. Selected Zoom
4. Unchecked all checked options (I had "Smooth Images" checked)
5. Clicked more options
6. Selected "Continuous with pointer" then done
7. Rebooted so it sticks to all progs launched after login (or simply restart the application you lost your scroll functionality in)

3 hours onwards - no scroll issues.

Hope this helps!

V

heyadrian

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
This fix seems to work for me without having to reboot/relog-in on my MBA mid-2012 running 10.9 / DP5... Apple stated that the scrolling issue is linked to the zoom feature so here's what I did:

1. Opened System Preferences
2. Selected Accessibility
3. Selected Zoom
4. Unchecked all checked options (I had "Smooth Images" checked)
5. Clicked more options
6. Selected "Continuous with pointer" then done
7. Rebooted so it sticks to all progs launched after login (or simply restart the application you lost your scroll functionality in)

3 hours onwards - no scroll issues.

Hope this helps!

V

I only really got these issues when I run MagicPrefs. A few hours of use and things go all crazy. Since I'm not using MagicPrefs, I haven't had any issues. Other than the usual annoyances which come with any magic mouse :D

The issue I was having with MagicPrefs open was that despite whichever windows was at the front, the scroll events were only being sent to safari in the background (yes even when minimised haha) :D

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I only really got these issues when I run MagicPrefs. A few hours of use and things go all crazy. Since I'm not using MagicPrefs, I haven't had any issues. Other than the usual annoyances which come with any magic mouse :D

The issue I was having with MagicPrefs open was that despite whichever windows was at the front, the scroll events were only being sent to safari in the background (yes even when minimised haha) :D

Hmm... I just launched firefox 23.0.1 and was unable to scroll anymore - scrolling in Safari, chrome, folders and others apps is working fine, just not firefox!! Checking the logs for any helpful info.

By the way - I've tested this with my magic mouse and logitech performance MX.

twzop

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
RTP (Raleigh), NC
Mavericks Scrolling Issues

I think that we can all for the most part say that this is a bug. I've experienced it as well with Mavericks. It just happened again with me; which is why I ended up looking for a thread here where other users were experiencing the issue.

I have to add that I seem to only have experienced this issue with Firefox, Mozilla Aurora, Mozilla Thunderbird and on OS X Finder windows.

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
There really isn't a killer feature in mavericks...I am hoping they have some goodies before launch.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I too had this issue with the last DP. I found that running Disk Utility and doing a "Repair Permissions" procedure solved the problem. I haven't had it since.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
There really isn't a killer feature in mavericks...I am hoping they have some goodies before launch.

After 6 DP's, I think what we've seen so far is it. That said, 10.9 is what 10.8 would have been had they not been so quick with getting ML out the door.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
After 6 DP's, I think what we've seen so far is it. That said, 10.9 is what 10.8 would have been had they not been so quick with getting ML out the door.

They weren't in a hurry to get anything out. People need to understand that Apple have switched to an annual OS release starting with Lion, which means we won't see something like Leopard again; SL is what Leopard should've been, ML > Lion, and Mavs is > ML. We're seeing the changes we need in smaller releases that needs a follow-up to optimize it.

If they were doing Leopard type of release with 2-3 years of development, Mavs is what Lion+Mountain Lion would've combined into after 2-3 years.

The next OS (10.10) is going to be what Mavs should've been, like finishing up the changes to the Notes, Reminders, and so on.

Once they finish a major update like 10.7.0/10.8.0/10.9.0/, the core team goes to work on 10.10.0 and the secondary team will work on follow-up updates for 10.9.

Renverse

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
In case you were wondering, it's still there in DP6. After years of using betas, this is the only time I've been so infuriated at a bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.