PDA

View Full Version : How can we ever lose ourselves in music again if we always h...

MacBytes
Nov 17, 2005, 11:30 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: How can we ever lose ourselves in music again if we always have one eye on the progress bar? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051118003036)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Nov 17, 2005, 11:47 PM
"These devices for playing music and video seem to think we want to know precisely how long the whole thing is going to last, and how far through the experience we are."

No, these devices deliver what SOME users really DO want, and nobody ELSE is required to use: a very nice and flexible time counter.

Which, by the way, CD players have had for years and years. So have VCRs and audiocasette decks, in their primitive fashion. Even vinyl records often listed the track times, if you wanted to know.

Most of the time, most people don't want to "know precisely" where the counter is. So you know what they do? They don't look at it. Not until they DO want to know. (Should we take away the option for their own good?)

So how does this harm music listening? It doesn't. Just another writer who doesn't like the very IDEA of something new, looking for a reason to sound superior about the fact.

It's not as if new ways of listening to music have any GOOD points to embrace... like being able to enjoy music and re-discover your collection, instead of pawing through piles of plastic.

That's my take :)

Nermal
Nov 18, 2005, 12:22 AM
I usually have iTunes closed while it's playing. Is that not normal?

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 12:50 AM
It varies. I tend to have it open on the Mac being used as a DJ Machine at work but closed (in the dock on my Mac). At home I have it hidden while I am doing other stuff unless I am making a play selection or something.

millhouse_man
Nov 18, 2005, 12:50 AM
I just don't look at it...it's fairly easy to do

TheMonarch
Nov 18, 2005, 12:54 AM

WOAH! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I closed the window, and it kept playing!

...I'm such an idiot.

...Man...

Windows really did screw me up :o

SummerBreeze
Nov 18, 2005, 01:28 AM
Yes, I sit and stare at that little black dot moving across the screen, for lack of a better thing to do on my computer. I am constantly running into things as I walk to school because I just can't help but stare at how much time is remaining on my iPod's little display. What can I say, I can't enjoy music anymore, I just have to know!!!

cal6n
Nov 18, 2005, 01:35 AM
None of the previous posters are English, are youi?

Would you be happier if Susan had printed a little " :rolleyes: " at the end of her article?

nagromme
Nov 18, 2005, 01:59 AM
Are you suggesting that this article is merely a parody of other similar articles?

I'd like to think so, but it's neither funnier nor more exaggerated than other such pieces.

PS, I zoom my iTunes (green dot then drag corner smaller) to the smallest "remote" size, which I have set in Prefs to always float over everything else.

cal6n
Nov 18, 2005, 02:11 AM
No, it's not a parody , but neither is it intended to be taken seriously. It's just a light-hearted piece of commentary but actually, it's pretty valid, IMHO.

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 03:03 AM
No, it's not a parody , but neither is it intended to be taken seriously. It's just a light-hearted piece of commentary but actually, it's pretty valid, IMHO.
Im glad someone was able to point that out.

Lau
Nov 18, 2005, 03:04 AM
Seems strange to be writing this article now, when surely in the late 80s CDs did the same thing. My parents fabulous giant matt black CD tower had a fairly obtrusive glowing green LCD display, from what I remember. :p I would be inclined to agree with parts of the article, but I would say the change happened between cassette tapes to CDs, not from CDs to tapes. Even with LPs you could see how long tracks were by the faint lines in the vinyl.

I was going to write a sarcastic comment to say that maybe the author had moved straight from tapes to mp3s, then realised that, basically, that's what I did. I'll shut my face now. :p

Edit: Sorry Nagromme, I somehow missed your comment above. Oops!

mhar4
Nov 18, 2005, 03:54 AM
Just another writer who doesn't like the very IDEA of something new, looking for a reason to sound superior about the fact.

Oh, man, what's the matter with everyone these days? It's like the world is gripped by some collective mass insecurity, all hysterical about people "sound[ing] superior". It was just a nice little piece on how we listen to music, and the sense of time that music gives us.

Photorun
Nov 18, 2005, 07:37 AM
I miss playing my old 78s on the Victrola (http://www.victor-victrola.com/)... this digital music thing is just a fad!

Lacero
Nov 18, 2005, 07:46 AM
I listen to whole albums and I'm always sad when it ends. The really great albums are like a part of my life. With an iPod, I no longer listen to single songs.

When I walk to my gym, I count how long it takes me by the number of songs played. It takes me 2 songs to walk there, or around 8 minutes. I count my time in songs. So I am the exact opposite.

bc2610
Nov 18, 2005, 08:06 AM
Smoke a fatty and not only will you be absorbed byt the music but watching the black dot will be entertaining.

nagromme
Nov 18, 2005, 10:17 AM
Oh, man, what's the matter with everyone these days? It's like the world is gripped by some collective mass insecurity, all hysterical about people "sound[ing] superior". It was just a nice little piece on how we listen to music, and the sense of time that music gives us.

No--talking about the sense of time in music is all good. I have no problem with her tone, just with the leap she makes from there: that modern music players take this AWAY from us. It's not that she sounds superior, it's that she wants to sound superior ABOUT something that has too little basis: her dislike of modern playback devices because they have counters. Which seems to fit nicely with the articles suggesting that people never wore headphones before iPods :D

The same article could be written without trying to force in the idea that something has just changed recently, or that people are forced to USE the counter just because it exists.

zap2
Nov 18, 2005, 10:25 AM
Susan Tomes! go buy a SHuffle there your problem is fixed and those you want to know can juts look at the screen

Or show some self restraint and don't look at the screen!

shamino
Nov 18, 2005, 02:29 PM
This problem can be solved really quickly. With a piece of masking tape.

Or just buy an iPod nano - in a few weeks, the screen will be too scratched up to see the black dot anyway. ;)

Gasu E.
Nov 18, 2005, 02:51 PM
"... MUST... NOT... LOOK... AT... PROGRESS... BAR"

iPod: "HO HO Foolish Human! You cannot help yourself! GAZE INTO THE BAR AND FEEL MY POWER!"

PlaceofDis
Nov 18, 2005, 02:54 PM
its helpful though when you are looking for a particular line like i was last night.

mkrishnan
Nov 18, 2005, 02:57 PM
I've been trained in cognitive behavioral therapy that may be beneficial to the author of this article.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, the only time I ever really do this is when I've been walking somewhere with my iPod and I need to take my headphones off and I'm trying to figure out if I have time to finish the song. :D

nagromme
Nov 18, 2005, 04:31 PM
A tip for Susan, or others--here's how to disable the annoying playback counter and progress bar in iTunes/iPod:

Get Info on the song (one at a time, please), and under Options, set Start Time to 0:00 and End Time to 0:00.

This will effectively stop the movement of the counter and progress bar.

mdavey
Nov 18, 2005, 04:36 PM
Smoke a fatty and not only will you be absorbed byt the music but watching the black dot will be entertaining.

LOL :D (and that is rare for me)

Seasought
Nov 18, 2005, 05:16 PM
Are there any pleasurable experiences in life that can benefit from this obsessive countdown?

Death.

nagromme
Nov 18, 2005, 06:00 PM
Are there any pleasurable experiences in life that can benefit from this obsessive countdown?

Death.
http://deathclock.com :)

SummerBreeze
Nov 18, 2005, 06:32 PM

Ha! And sadly, that's very true.

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 08:21 PM
I listen to whole albums and I'm always sad when it ends. The really great albums are like a part of my life. With an iPod, I no longer listen to single songs.

When I walk to my gym, I count how long it takes me by the number of songs played. It takes me 2 songs to walk there, or around 8 minutes. I count my time in songs. So I am the exact opposite.
I used to do that in photoshop when I was clear cutting and listening to a bit of 'deep hard'n funky' or housey.

winmacguy
Nov 18, 2005, 08:23 PM
yeah among other things ;)