Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Does anyone have any recommendations for trackpad shields for the 2013 MacBook Air? Specifically looking for something for the 13-inch MBA. It would be great if there was something with almost equal sensitivity (behaves the same way a regular trackpad would).

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You can't really put something over the trackpad without worsening the feel. It's glass not plastic, it will last much longer than some cheap laptop.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I bet you can get some sort of invisable shield just like you can put on a phone but there is no reason to do so. Apples trackpads have such a perfect texture to cover it up would be a big mistake imo

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
If you are looking for a trackpad cover, DO NOT get the moshi trackpad cover. It makes the trackpad more insensitive, missing tap to click at times.

It will be better to find something thinner than that.

The Powersupport trackpad cover seems more ideal, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
serious question, as a first time mac owner-

Why cover the touchpad? It looks sturdy as hell. Do they have the tendency to break or malfunction if we dont cover it?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The track pad on Macbooks is an amazing feat of engineering, it's really sensitive, works perfectly, and has just the right coefficient of friction.

To cover it up with a cheap accessory would be robbing yourself of the best track pad experience on the market.

And if you think making a track pad as good as the one in the Macbook is easy, tell that to the other hardware companies.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'd echo the other feedback here - the trackpad, being glass, is tough as nails, and doesn't need any kind of cover or protection.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
serious question, as a first time mac owner-

Why cover the touchpad? It looks sturdy as hell. Do they have the tendency to break or malfunction if we dont cover it?

there is no reason, they are sturdy as hell. You see used macs for sale from 2008 all the time and none of them say the trackpad doesnt work. The thing that usually fails is the superdrive, or the hard drive, neither of which the air has

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Thank you, everyone, for the great advice. Please forgive my ignorance here.

The reason I am asking is, I have heard that natural oil and sweat from hands (living in a hot climate here) can cause some staining on the trackpad (it has happened on all of the 5-6 PC laptops used in the past).
I know the keys on the keyboard will eventually get shiny due to friction, but it would be nice to keep the MBA in good condition for selling in the future.
Would you still recommend not having a trackpad shield, or even a keyboard cover?
Thanks once again!

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I have my 2011 MBA since december2011(makes almost 2years) and it still is in perfect condition. And i use none of the above mentioned protectors, the only thing i have is a sleeve made out of silicon. :)

Keyboard and Trackpad in perfect shape.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Does anyone notice damage to the aluminum palm areas on the MacBook because of sweat? Is there any damage that cannot be cleaned by iKlear or the microfiber cloth and water?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Does anyone notice damage to the aluminum palm areas on the MacBook because of sweat? Is there any damage that cannot be cleaned by iKlear or the microfiber cloth and water?

The trackpad is glass, sweat shouldn't affect it much although I usually wipe the keyboard and trackpad down after extended use...it just takes a few seconds. :)

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
The trackpad is glass, sweat shouldn't affect it much although I usually wipe the keyboard and trackpad down after extended use...it just takes a few seconds. :)

Thanks Ronnoco. It was just an issue I noticed on all of the PC laptops I have owned so far - the trackpad seems to get a shiny discoloration after a few months of use. It is great to hear that this won't be a problem here.

--
By the way, about that i7 processor . . . :) Just kidding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.