PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

Jimmieboy
Nov 18, 2005, 12:02 AM
Hey everyone. I just want to ask a few questions. First I want to know about external harddrives and the new intel ibook. I'm still at high school and we used windows based programs so I'm wondering if I purchase an external harddrive would I be able to install it on there and then boot from the drive on a new intel ibook. Does the harddrive have to be Firewire to boot from? Also is this a good idea. I hate windows and I don't want it to destroy or infect my macintosh harddrive. If I do this I'll wait for leopard to come out. Also this is a stupid question but does anyone know if the battery life will be increased with the intel ibooks and leopard? I've heard rumors that the price is meant to go down aswell. Is that true? Now onto apple care. If I by the computer how does the apple care thing work. Theres like a 90 applecare thing but what happens if my ibook breaks within a year? Is that covered by the warrantee? Does the applecare package cover me if I drop my ibbok and the scren breaks or something? Thats about it for now. Thanks in advance.:cool:

Chaszmyr
Nov 18, 2005, 12:14 AM
Hey everyone. I just want to ask a few questions. First I want to know about external harddrives and the new intel ibook. I'm still at high school and we used windows based programs so I'm wondering if I purchase an external harddrive would I be able to install it on there and then boot from the drive on a new intel ibook. Does the harddrive have to be Firewire to boot from? Also is this a good idea. I hate windows and I don't want it to destroy or infect my macintosh harddrive. If I do this I'll wait for leopard to come out. Also this is a stupid question but does anyone know if the battery life will be increased with the intel ibooks and leopard? I've heard rumors that the price is meant to go down aswell. Is that true? Now onto apple care. If I by the computer how does the apple care thing work. Theres like a 90 applecare thing but what happens if my ibook breaks within a year? Is that covered by the warrantee? Does the applecare package cover me if I drop my ibbok and the scren breaks or something? Thats about it for now. Thanks in advance.:cool:

In the future, make your questions numbered or something instead of all lumped into a paragraph, it makes things easier for those who answer.

It sounds like you're wanting to boot your iBook from an external HD, and I don't know why you would want to do that (though I believe you could). You would be able to connect to the hard drive though.

No one knows for sure if the battery life will be increased, but Intel processors are low-power so it's reasonable to assume battery life will be at least a little better.

The price may well go down, but again, no one knows for sure.

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage.

I could be mistaken but I believe all computers are protected for a year, and that only iPods are limited to a 90 day warranty.

mad jew
Nov 18, 2005, 12:21 AM
...if I purchase an external harddrive would I be able to install it on there and then boot from the drive on a new intel ibook.

Erm... Are you talking about transferring apps between Intel Macs and regular PCs? This all depends on how Intel Macs run Windows and whether they use a Virtual PC equivalent (emulator) or a dual-booting partition system. Either way, with the right formatting external drives will most likely be cross-platform compatible, just as they are now.

Does the harddrive have to be Firewire to boot from?

At the moment, yes. Reading the future isn't a speciality of mine but I imagine this will remain true so USB drives will continue to be unbootable, if that's a word...

does anyone know if the battery life will be increased with the intel ibooks and leopard?

Well, battery life only really ever goes up so it's pretty safe to assume that it'll be at least as good as it is now. Of course, it's too early to claim anything solid though.

I've heard rumors that the price is meant to go down aswell. Is that true?

Knowing Apple, probably not. :o

Well, maybe a little but I think Apple will probably still charge a premium for Macs.

Now onto apple care. If I by the computer how does the apple care thing work. Theres like a 90 applecare thing but what happens if my ibook breaks within a year?

The first year of AppleCare is standard with all new Macs but within that year you can opt to purchase an additional two years of support, bringing the total up to three years.

Does the applecare package cover me if I drop my ibbok and the scren breaks or something?

Don't think so, but I could be wrong. Of course, AppleCare could be an entirely different beast by the time Intel chips are inside Macs. :)

Jimmieboy
Nov 18, 2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks for your replies. When I say that I want windowson an external harddrive I mean that I want to be able to boot from windows or OS X. I've read about this and that you can do it but I want to know if you can boot from a firewire harddrive install windows on it and use it. I have more questions now :P

1. What are the limitations of the ibook currently? Would it be able to run the macromedia and adobe packages properly? At the moment I have an iMac G5 Rev B so I like it to be nice and fast.

2. Would it be better for me to save up longer and get a powerbook? What is the ibbok created for and what is the powerbook created for? I'd get the 12" of both of them because I need mobility.

3. Not a real issue but would the ibook be able to play wolf et? I really love that game. Anyway.

Thanks for your replies. Look foward to hearing from you soon.

Chaszmyr
Nov 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
We think you'll be able to boot Windows, but it's POSSIBLE that for some reason you won't be able to. The developer intel mac boxes have no problem running Windows.

The main limitation of the iBook vs the PowerBook is that it doesn't have a digital video out for dual monitor support.

The iBook will be able to run macromedia and adobe software fine, but not as well as a faster comp of course.

It's hard to say if the PowerBook or iBook will be more worthwhile for you since we don't know what the specs of either will be.

Wolf et?