PDA

View Full Version : setup help w/ refb 12"ibook.

sorted
Nov 18, 2005, 12:06 AM
greetings,

i have a 12.1/1.2g/256/30/combo arriving tomarrow. this will be my first refurb unit. please insert any tips for initial set-up. additional remarks about this unit are welcome etc. thanks)

mad jew
Nov 18, 2005, 12:13 AM
It's a refurb but calibrate the battery all the same. Maybe do a nice clean fresh install too.

How about adding some RAM later down the track too. :)

Chundles
Nov 18, 2005, 12:24 AM
greetings,

i have a 12.1/1.2g/256/30/combo arriving tomarrow. this will be my first refurb unit. please insert any tips for initial set-up. additional remarks about this unit are welcome etc. thanks)

That's the computer I have but I got it new about a year ago.

Bump the RAM up to at least 512MB, do a battery calibration, a clean install isn't a bad idea either.

Check everything out, all the keys, burn a disc, watch a DVD, use all the ports,basically ensure everything is working properly. Then update all the software to the most recent versions and go have some fun.

FFTT
Nov 18, 2005, 12:35 AM
First of all, test run your new machine " AS SHIPPED"
to rule out any problems.

Once you're up and running check the system profiler to see what you ended
up with.

Hopefully, you'll get a free bonus 512MB RAM upgrade.
If not you really do need to add RAM to enjoy Tiger.
1 GB RAM DIMMs are running about $100 3rd party.

If you end up with the stock 30GB HD, you really need to run a fresh
lean custom install after you calibrate the battery.
There's close to 5 GB of printer drivers, languages, software demos, iDVD themes and GarageBand demo songs that you can deselect when you reinstall
the OS.

I kept Nanosaur just for kicks. :)

Once you're up and running again, then you can start configuring your system, setting up your network connection, mail, firewall prefs etc.

Then it's time to connect to the Apple Software Update link and download
all the latest updates.

Installing them is a breeze, but you will need to reboot for some of them.

Let us know if you have any problems.