PDA

View Full Version : Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launching Worldwide on August 15 [Update: Now Available]

MacRumors
Aug 14, 2013, 01:05 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/14/plants-vs-zombies-2-launching-worldwide-on-august-15/)

Apple has just announced (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151787512004421&set=a.10150245610459421.336770.286893159420&type=1) via its App Store Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/AppStore) that PopCap's much-anticipated Plants vs. Zombies 2 app for iOS will be released on Thursday, August 15.

"It's about time," reads the announcement above a photo of a PvZ-style zombie hand reaching out of the dirt. "Guess what game is coming tomorrow?"

gbcBYs0ljI0
While Plants vs. Zombies 2 was originally meant to launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/03/plants-vs-zombies-2-to-launch-on-july-18-for-free/) on July 18, PopCap opted to delay the game to implement further tweaks to its in-app purchase pricing. The game soft launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/09/plants-vs-zombies-2-soft-launches-in-new-zealand-and-australia/) in Australia and New Zealand on July 9 for testing purposes.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 will feature the same lane defense gameplay that made the original game a hit, but it also includes time travel to all new locations. Unlike the first game, PvZ 2 will be available as a freemium title. PopCap has stated that players will be able to access "the vast majority of the game" without paying money.

The announcement does not specify the time that the game will be made available, but Thursday releases can often be downloaded on Wednesday night, at 11 p.m ET.

Update: Plants vs. Zombies 2 (http://appshopper.com/games/plants-vs-zombies-2) can now be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies-2/id597986893?mt=8)]

Article Link: Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launching Worldwide on August 15 [Update: Now Available] (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/14/plants-vs-zombies-2-launching-worldwide-on-august-15/)

silverf1re
Aug 14, 2013, 01:08 PM
Would have bought it for a one time upfront cost, but not with this micro-transaction crap.

Battlefield Fan
Aug 14, 2013, 01:10 PM
Stupid. EA ruins another game. Please keep your hands to yourself EA!!!:mad:

SJism23
Aug 14, 2013, 01:10 PM
Would have bought it for a one time upfront cost, but not with this micro-transaction crap.

Yep. The word "freemium" turns me off from this game.

Jab00
Aug 14, 2013, 01:15 PM
Eh I suppose I will get it... its not like I will make it far enough into the game to need to pay anyways :o

Bathplug
Aug 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
After the playing the early New Zealand release the freemium wasn't that bad but I expect that to change. But the game wasn't nowhere near as good as the original.

thedeejay
Aug 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
I'm glad that its finally launching. I'm excited for it as PVZ 1 was a classic. I just hope EA doesn't bone us from behind for stuff like plants and other obvious upgrades.

Dorkington
Aug 14, 2013, 01:54 PM
There's 6 plants behind a paywall. Other than that, everything else can be unlocked via playing the game. Some levels, though, require use of powerups, and said powerups cost in game money, and in game money if you don't have enough, costs real money.

One can get plenty of play without paying, but one can't get the "complete experience" without paying. Pick your poison.

I would have paid up front for the full game, as well.

knight556
Aug 14, 2013, 02:12 PM
Day 1 of playing PvZ 2: Hated it.
Day 2: Starting to grow on me.
Day 3: Not too bad...
Day 4: Could it be better than the original...?
Day 10: I don't want to play the original game ever again.

Yes, some of the 'classic' plants are behind the pay wall, but they are mainly there for the diehard fans who want some nostalgia. There are enough new plants to try that you won't need the old ones.

Overall, there are enough new game dynamics and new tactics to learn that you really don't miss the old game. In fact, PvZ 1 seems kinda sterile and boring compared to PvZ 2.

alm99
Aug 14, 2013, 02:13 PM
Just let me pay for the game......ugh

Cougarcat
Aug 14, 2013, 02:20 PM
I agree with Knight, it's actually a better game. The gameplay is more varied but it's just as polished as the original.

Are the paywall plants ridiculously expensive for what they are? Of course. Do you feel like you're missing out for not buying them? Not at all. You only need to pay if you want an easier game experience (so you can spam power ups) or you really miss the old plants.

I would have preferred the old pay model, of course, but freemium has not ruined PvZ2 in the least.

Aug 14, 2013, 02:40 PM

So, another IAP-driven CRAP coming up? I am glad I bought the original.

bushido
Aug 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
i got it with my NZ account a while ago and its absolutely the worst. they try to get you addicted and than they expect you to pay something like 4 bucks for each world like wtf

EA sucks

knight556
Aug 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
i got it with my NZ account a while ago and its absolutely the worst. they try to get you addicted and than they expect you to pay something like 4 bucks for each world like wtf

EA sucks

Each world (so far) has been free. You just have to earn enough stars to unlock it...

iLilana
Aug 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
looked great but I don't support games with microtransactions. EA games especially.

mysticbluebmw
Aug 14, 2013, 03:25 PM
Calm down people. Those who are hating have obviously not played the game yet. I've played the entire game, and not spent one penny. I wish all freemium games were like this. You only spend money if you want to move ahead in the game w/o earning it or if you want to buy coins for cheat-nuking the screen or buying plants you otherwise can't have (these are from the 1st game and are definitely not needed). You are NOT required to spend anything, and since I paid $6.99 for the 1st game, this turned out to be great.

Otis Bagotis
Aug 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.

Freemium games started out as a way for developers to nickel and dime players but I think that style is going to disappear and we'll start seeing a less intrusive IAP style.

In the end I think it'll be a win-win for both players and developers.

iMerik
Aug 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
Calm down people. Those who are hating have obviously not played the game yet. I've played the entire game, and not spent one penny. I wish all freemium games were like this. You only spend money if you want to move ahead in the game w/o earning it or if you want to buy coins for cheat-nuking the screen or buying plants you otherwise can't have (these are from the 1st game and are definitely not needed). You are NOT required to spend anything, and since I paid $6.99 for the 1st game, this turned out to be great.
Sounds like a levelheaded response. Were there any ads?

Cougarcat
Aug 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a levelheaded response. Were there any ads?

No, there aren't any ads.

sekazi
Aug 14, 2013, 04:43 PM
Finally I will be able to rate it 1 star for the tedious work it makes you do just for being free.

irnchriz
Aug 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
Just like real racing 3 you will be able to get a tweaked save which will provide you with a few million game coins.

Jessica Lares
Aug 14, 2013, 04:53 PM
Can't wait to have a go. :D Nothing a bit of hex editing can't fix. :rolleyes:

quietstormSD
Aug 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
I thought the first game had a little bit of pay content even after purchasing the game. Such as to unlock certain special mini-games etc (incase you didn't have enough coins earned during the game). But I guess it was a lot easier to get through the game without paying an extra dime for additional content, then a lot of freemium game models now have. (aka Candy Crush)

dampfnudel
Aug 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
I'll try it, but as soon as I begin to feel EA is making me grind too much to get ahead without paying, I'm done. I would've gladly paid $5 or even $10 for the game.

Kissaragi
Aug 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
Cant wait! Its been a long time coming.

cazlar
Aug 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
I've been playing through it the last few weeks. I really loved the first one, and the freemium stuff was definitely annoying at first as the tutorial definitely pushes them on you.

But I just made the choice to never use any power-ups except the plant-food that you earn throughout a level. So far I've finished all 3 worlds and am going back to try earn more stars. Some of the later plants are going to be useful in completing challenges I think.

All in all, there is a bit more variety in the challenges (don't plant more than x plants, don't let zombies cross this line, matching games, etc). I like it.

charlituna
Aug 14, 2013, 06:43 PM

I don't mind it so long as I can play the game without it. I don't mind having to pause for an hour for my lives to restock in candy crush or my car to be repaired over night.
Unlike say the Simpsons game where after like two days you basically had to buy donuts and whatever to keep going

HardRain
Aug 14, 2013, 06:53 PM
Got it a month ago here in Aus, played it for a week then deleted. Sadly the IAP has killed the joy of the original. The overall improvements to the game are good, nothing breathtaking, but certainly the IAP just messes with the whole enjoyment factor that gaming should be about.

sekazi
Aug 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
To simplify what this game has become think of Angry Birds + Mandatory 3 Stars on every level after you have beaten the level once. PVZ is worse at that you cannot get the 3 stars from a single play though but you have to play the level 4 times with 3 of those with specific objectives.

I want a casual game on the go not a game I want to throw the iPad.

Jab00
Aug 14, 2013, 10:36 PM
For those in the US that want it

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants-vs.-zombies-2/id597986893?mt=8

adam044
Aug 14, 2013, 10:45 PM
No iCloud syncing :(

Black Magic
Aug 14, 2013, 11:07 PM
To simplify what this game has become think of Angry Birds + Mandatory 3 Stars on every level after you have beaten the level once. PVZ is worse at that you cannot get the 3 stars from a single play though but you have to play the level 4 times with 3 of those with specific objectives.

Damn, just downloaded it and after reading your comment, I don't even feel like playing it. It's a shame because the first one was so good.

jav6454
Aug 14, 2013, 11:18 PM
Since it is Freemium, I'm not downloading it. I'd rather just pay upfront for the cost of the game.

Zimmy68
Aug 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
I've been playing it on my iPad for the last few weeks and have been enjoying it.
I'm a PvZ 1 nut and still finding myself playing that more for some reason.
I always wished they would have went the Angry Birds route and tweaked the game a little and added more themes, plants, zombies but used the same basic game engine.

That said, I wouldn't stay away from it because it is freemium.
I have almost finished the first world and haven't sensed any need to buy anything.
I would have prefered a flat price for everything model.

Some cool things...

It seems to be the first ios app that I have seen that patches itself within the game (maybe that is just loading hi-res textures).
I didn't have to redownload the game and lose my progress from my NZ game.
It launched and is now tied to my real iTunes account.
I installed the game for the first time on my iPhone 5 and it had all my progressed saved. Didn't have to enter a name or anything.

It looks awesome on the iPhone 5 screen, how I wish they would go back and update the original game.

navier
Aug 14, 2013, 11:37 PM
"Requires front facing Camera"... so, will not work on iPad 1, WTF!!! :mad:

cryingrobot
Aug 15, 2013, 01:52 AM

Not going to get this because of IAP. I cant have my kids playing and making accidental purchases. Its a deal breaker no matter how good the game is.

knight556
Aug 15, 2013, 01:54 AM

Progress is synced across devices.

As is in-app purchases.

Jessica Lares
Aug 15, 2013, 04:33 AM
I've been playing for a few hours now. I actually REALLY like it. The whole concept they went for this time around is pretty cool. I'm not having issues playing it at all. Just ignore the IAP. The coins you get throughout the levels will pay for the power ups and plant food. The plant food is awesome by the way. And you get to kill some zombies that will give you it, and sunflower.

The only thing I'm having an issue with is the fact that there is 22 levels per segment. So there's three of them so far, well they could have easily made that six. I hope that they'll be adding to it though, as this is the first casual game on iOS that I would be willing to play the whole thing if they continue to add to the storyline.

CplBadboy
Aug 15, 2013, 05:43 AM
I'm glad that its finally launching. I'm excited for it as PVZ 1 was a classic. I just hope EA doesn't bone us from behind for stuff like plants and other obvious upgrades.

Sorry my friend but EA have got involved now and have commenced the boning of customers. First few levels unlock the upgrades and of you where to buy them all itll cost you around 9 GBP. Thats just for starters. Battlefield etc have all been ruined by this bunch of ***** that are EA.

NightFox
Aug 15, 2013, 05:46 AM
Not going to get this because of IAP. I cant have my kids playing and making accidental purchases. Its a deal breaker no matter how good the game is.

Maybe just don't give them your iTunes account password then?

Brittany246
Aug 15, 2013, 07:54 AM

You can easily turn off in app purchases.

adnbek
Aug 15, 2013, 07:59 AM

Here ya go.

rydewnd2
Aug 15, 2013, 08:01 AM

Let's get real.. You've already downloaded it and likely played through 6 or 7 levels.

Brittany246
Aug 15, 2013, 08:01 AM
Since it is Freemium, I'm not downloading it. I'd rather just pay upfront for the cost of the game.

Not even going to try it out? Lol the people on here are being dramatic. The game isn't bad at all. I don't feel like I have to pay for anything.

rydewnd2
Aug 15, 2013, 08:05 AM
To everyone complaining about in app purchases I can say this as a developer. As much as you're all saying you buy things, the reality is you don't. Everyone expects everything for free these days, which is exactly the reason the average price of apps in the app store erodes to .99. Do you really think the work that goes into producing an application lends itself to dollar store pricing? This ecosystem has forced developers to get creative and offer value to entice sales ie. In App Purchases. If you don't like it, go out and spend 5.. 10.. hell 20 dollars on apps and you'll see in app purchases evaporate like water.

GoCubsGo
Aug 15, 2013, 08:10 AM
Eh I suppose I will get it... its not like I will make it far enough into the game to need to pay anyways :o

That is how I feel. I have finished one game in all the time I've had an iPhone and iPad, Peggle. I am not sure I even finished it so much as I finished whatever weird game play I had picked. It was years ago, IIRC.

Whether I download or not is not driven by the IAP route they took but by the fact that I may be bored. I've downloaded many games and hardly played them or not even played them at all. What I can't understand is why this is such a big deal, the game. It was late and people are reporting on it like it matters. Like a sequel to this game was so damn important or something.

jav6454
Aug 15, 2013, 08:28 AM
Not even going to try it out? Lol the people on here are being dramatic. The game isn't bad at all. I don't feel like I have to pay for anything.

It's not dramatic, many great games are Freemium. Problem is, I get into it without realizing its Freemium, until I start doing well in the game and want to use the nice things; just to discover they are all real money paid.

roadbloc
Aug 15, 2013, 08:35 AM
Another classic ruined by the grubby paws of EA. I hope EA wither from the waves of solid hate that myself and the world are emitting at them for this obination.

I knew this would happen ever since I heard the news that PopCap had handed their souls to the corporate fun-killers at EA.

sekazi
Aug 15, 2013, 08:43 AM
Here are images people do not want you to see.

They did lower the required stars to get to the next level to 22 but still that is too much especially since you cannot get multiple stars from a single play in the game.

If they were smart they would give you 3 objectives per level from the start and give you a star for each objective.

Brittany246
Aug 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
It's not dramatic, many great games are Freemium. Problem is, I get into it without realizing its Freemium, until I start doing well in the game and want to use the nice things; just to discover they are all real money paid.

You haven't even tried it out, but ok. The in app purchases don't interfere with gameplay at all. Might as well not even have them. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't just pay real money to do better in a game. I usually like to earn it. The only "nice things" in this game are some old plants from the first game. You don't need them at all to do well in this game. They're ridiculously expensive, but I only really see hard core PvZ fans paying for them anyway.

Gjwilly
Aug 15, 2013, 09:11 AM
"Support for iOS 7"

Thought they couldn't make claims like that prior to iOS 7 release.

Tyler23
Aug 15, 2013, 11:53 AM
Just like real racing 3 you will be able to get a tweaked save which will provide you with a few million game coins.

How can I do this?

Cannot get enough R$ for cars more than 300K :(

fraggot
Aug 15, 2013, 12:13 PM
Thankfully I don't feel like EA messed this up. They even added a small story element to the game, although it's lame but they did!

You can play through the entire game without spending a dime, the only reason the stuff is behind a pay wall is if you want to advance faster without really having to try very hard.

It's a free game and it won't cost you a dime(unless you want it to), why not try it?

I made it to like level 5-6 it no time(yes, it's a tad bit easier then the first game, I remember the night and fog levels being a huge pain), but it held my attention regardless!

RobNYC
Aug 15, 2013, 12:23 PM

Yeah I was playing on my phone and went to switch to my iPad and it starts all over again. I've synced both devices to icloud too.

JAT
Aug 15, 2013, 12:36 PM
Day 1 of playing PvZ 2: Hated it.
Day 2: Starting to grow on me.
Day 3: Not too bad...
Day 4: Could it be better than the original...?
Day 10: I don't want to play the original game ever again.

Yes, some of the 'classic' plants are behind the pay wall, but they are mainly there for the diehard fans who want some nostalgia. There are enough new plants to try that you won't need the old ones.

Overall, there are enough new game dynamics and new tactics to learn that you really don't miss the old game. In fact, PvZ 1 seems kinda sterile and boring compared to PvZ 2.

Thank you, guys. Excellent help in these posts.

adam044
Aug 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah I was playing on my phone and went to switch to my iPad and it starts all over again. I've synced both devices to icloud too.

Yeah same here.

JAT
Aug 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Progress is synced across devices.

Can you explain? Seems to be an issue. And I will want this with 3 kids.

RobNYC
Aug 16, 2013, 06:11 PM
Yeah same here.

Found the fix. I did this and it worked for me. All my progress is now on my ipad as well as my phone.

- On both devices, launch Settings, then select iCloud
- Tap "Documents & Data" and turn this option OFF.
- Confirm by tapping "Turn Off Documents."
- Power off both devices by holding the power button until "Slide to power off" appears and then sliding that bar.
- Turn your devices back on.
- Open Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data again and turn the option back ON for both devices.

Finally, launch Plants vs. Zombies 2 and allow the game to sit on the main menu screen for a couple of minutes. This should prompt the game to sync.

Zimmy68
Oct 2, 2013, 04:02 PM
Oh happy day!

The original PvZ has finally been updated with iPhone 5 support.
It looks amazing now.

Thanks PopCap.