PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Wifi problem

assguy
Aug 14, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hello,

First of all, I'm sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I googled a long time and could not find an answer. There were similar problems, but never the same. Also, I am fairly good with computers, but not a pro, and I am a PC user with some mac experience. With that said...

My girlfriend bought a macbook air not very long ago and she cannot connect to the internet at home. It works flawlessly however at my place, her dad's place and possibly school (not 100% sure she tried there). At home, the computer connects to the wifi, signal shows full bars, but going on a browser does not work. I tried the diagnostics tool, but that ALWAYS fails at ISP. All lights are green until ISP which is red. All it suggests is to restart devices (modem, router, etc) and that doesn't work. I tried forgetting the network and trying again, but it never works. It's not like dropout problems I've been reading about. Other laptops work, my phone works, so the problem is between the macbook and the modem I would assume. The modem model is arris tm602g, but I couldn't find any info on compatibility with Macs and that modem. Last thing, she does not have airport.

So I'm stumped... any help is appreciated. I hope I gave all necessary info.

Thanks!

joewillmott
Aug 14, 2013, 07:22 PM
Been having the same problem but the problem vanishes in the Apple store so they refuse to give me a replacement. I sent it off to Apple only for it to be returned with the problem still there as well. Fantastic for a web developer's work machine to have no internet connection. I am so glad I paid a hefty sum of money for this machine.

Absolute farce.

calvol
Aug 14, 2013, 11:17 PM
The issue is probably with the new Broadcom 802.11ac WiFi chip in that it is not fully backward compatible with some routers that use chipsets from a different vendor. It's a tough problem when new standards roll out to test compatibility across all platforms. I'm sure Apple is aware of it, and is pushing Broadcom for a fix. Hopefully, it's a firmware fix and not a silicon issue!

assguy
Aug 15, 2013, 03:07 PM
The issue is probably with the new Broadcom 802.11ac WiFi chip in that it is not fully backward compatible with some routers that use chipsets from a different vendor. It's a tough problem when new standards roll out to test compatibility across all platforms. I'm sure Apple is aware of it, and is pushing Broadcom for a fix. Hopefully, it's a firmware fix and not a silicon issue!

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Basically I would have to hope Apple eventually announces something got fixed and return laptop/download update or actually get a new modem/router?

I think the router used is the D Link Wireless N 300 Router. At her dad's place (where it does work), all the info I got was that the router brand is D Link.

assguy
Aug 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
No one has any idea?

calvol
Aug 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
Check the other WiFi threads, looks like it's been isolated to a certain version of the Broadcom WiFi card that's causing the issue.