PDA

View Full Version : Best for browsing the web, reading in bed MBA model

JohnnyIOS
Aug 14, 2013, 02:17 PM
I'm going to be buying a MBA in the coming month, still need to save money and then decide on a model. I'm going with the 256GB SSD i7 8GB RAM for sure but the question still remains - 11 inch or 13 inch?

I'll be using the MBA mainly at night in bed laying on my back with the MBA on my chest. Any thoughts?

thetruth1985
Aug 14, 2013, 02:28 PM
I guess the 11 inch would be better since it's the smaller of the 2 but those specs seem like overkill if you only plan on reading and web surfing.

JohnnyIOS
Aug 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
I guess the 11 inch would be better since it's the smaller of the 2 but those specs seem like overkill if you only plan on reading and web surfing.

Thought so too. Thanks. The specs are for resale value. ;)

bravenewmac
Aug 14, 2013, 02:46 PM
browsing in bed? = iPad

macmastersam
Aug 14, 2013, 03:03 PM
like someone else mentioned earlier - the specs you want are a bit overkill just for some web browsing, even the base 11" macbook air would be, if i be honest. As far as resale value is concerned, you would get the same fraction of money back without the upgraded spec as you would with.

my personal suggestion? iPad, cheaper, and better for what you do. just my two cents on this subject :)

-sam

JoEw
Aug 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
I purchased the i7 8GB 256GB SSD 13" and I am so happy I paid the extra $100 dollars, I think looking back I would have always regretted getting the 11" model.

But as someone else said, if you are literally going to be browsing the web 90% of the time and you are considering an 11" screen size, an iPad 4th Gen might be up your alley, they are only $419 on Apple refurb section and will be even cheaper in a month or so ;) or you can get the brand new 5th gen if that is more suited.

Either way you are saving more money!

But I must say I love my MBA. It is truly the best laptop I have had so far.

Phonzel
Aug 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
The specs are for resale value. ;)
If you care about resale value, buy the base model.

cedwhatev
Aug 14, 2013, 03:36 PM
Once you've got your mind set on an MBA, it's difficult to listen to people tell you to get an iPad. Don't get an iPad. You want a laptop that's great for bed surfing, get the 11", it's a beaut. I've had a number of them over the last few years, and I will probably never switch.

newdeal
Aug 14, 2013, 03:42 PM
the maxxed out version will likely have the worst resale value. The base model would have the best, followed by the model with the 256gb drive hence why these are the models apple sells the most of. If you want to get a higher resale and want an upgraded model just forget the i7 that wont help resale at all

JohnnyIOS
Aug 14, 2013, 03:45 PM
browsing in bed? = iPad

I'd still have to hold the iPad with one hand. iPad = too big and heavy; I use the Mini atm and loving it but still would need a real old school laptop which is not too heavy :p

I had all iPads and despite what the critics have to say the Mini is the perfect size for a tablet.

jadAce
Aug 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
the maxxed out version will likely have the worst resale value. The base model would have the best, followed by the model with the 256gb drive hence why these are the models apple sells the most of. If you want to get a higher resale and want an upgraded model just forget the i7 that wont help resale at all

newdeal, would you say i5/8/256 can hold a good resale value?

OP, 11 inch sounds better for your use. Of course, you have the option of iPad/iPad Mini/waiting for iPad Mini 2 (possibly w/ retina), but nothing really seems to beat the full computer that the MacBook Air offers.

newdeal
Aug 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
as someone who owns the air (13") as well as an ipad and 2 ipad minis I would say the air is better for use in bed. Screen is vertical and doesnt require work to keep it that way, backlit keys, battery life is better than the iPad and ipad mini, its perfect for this use. They all will hold their value ok but the more you spend the harder the sell is, the more you spend the fewer people will want it. I buy and sell macbooks all the time and make $50-150 per easily. Just sold a retina 15" that was 3 months old, mint condition, 16gb ram 512gb ssd, 2.7ghz quad. The computer goes for $2799 plus tax from apple, I bought it for $1650 and sold it for $1850. Whereas if you look at mac minis people are getting $500 for a two year old mini that sells for like $599 brand new. Two year old base 21.5" imacs go for 900-1000 when they are like $1300 new. The cheaper models will always have higher resale potential. The resale on the retina is horrible because its too expensive. Same will be true with the maxed out air. That said I think the 13" is the better computer by far and will also hold its value better. 16:9 screens suck, and the battery life of the 13 is so much better, plus full size trackpad and sd slot

magbarn
Aug 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
newdeal, would you say i5/8/256 can hold a good resale value?

OP, 11 inch sounds better for your use. Of course, you have the option of iPad/iPad Mini/waiting for iPad Mini 2 (possibly w/ retina), but nothing really seems to beat the full computer that the MacBook Air offers.

A quick way to assess resale value is to browse the price differential between the 2012 base and ultimate models. The sellers are getting <$0.50 for every $1 spent on upgrades on final sale prices.

iWeekend
Aug 14, 2013, 04:51 PM
Personally I'd wonder about the heat/ventilation issues with the airbook in that capacity.

lordonuthin
Aug 14, 2013, 05:31 PM
I have a 13" MBP but only use my 2nd gen iPad in bed, just sayin'.

JohnnyIOS
Aug 14, 2013, 05:52 PM
Well, I've had a MBP 15" and it was too heavy for my chest lol. Then I fell in love with the iPad full size then I sold them and got an iPad Mini which I'm totally in love with. The size...everything is just perfect but when watching netflix my hand hurts from holding it, whereas the MBA would just be laying flat on my chest. I think I'll go with 11" one maxed out.

SusanK
Aug 14, 2013, 06:41 PM
MBA base 11 should be perfect for your use. Max it out if that's what you like. Enjoy!

Mrbobb
Aug 14, 2013, 06:50 PM
I say go for the 13 but u need to use a rigid "lap-pad" for stability unless u have an ample lap.

I got the 11 but my main purpose is portability and travel, but I use pinch-zoom a lot. If don't need the portability, a 13 will need less pinch-zoom.

I don't have an iPad and not planning to get one soon. Holding with one hand seems tiring to me, and if popped up on a stand, may as well get the Air, if you can have one and not both.

Hello...
Aug 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Mine arrived today, in bed now...its awesome 11" all the way.

entatlrg
Aug 14, 2013, 09:06 PM
11" is funner ... I love mine, use it everywhere.

johnjey
Aug 14, 2013, 09:24 PM
browsing in bed? = iPad

Nope: Ipad won't do the intimate tricks of a mac air in bed haha

DisplacedMic
Aug 15, 2013, 05:20 AM
Thought so too. Thanks. The specs are for resale value. ;)

that math doesn't make sense, but if it's what you want - have at it!
it does sound like an iPad would be better suited, but you seem to have tried that.
i will say that while an iPad isn't a "real" computer in any capacity - it will also stay cooler than a laptop. especially in blankets, no laptop will stay cool if you block the airflow which blankets almost certainly do...not even the super cool MBA.

a $50 case that has a stand built in would be cheaper than a new laptop though.

my wife has one of these:
http://www.zoogue.com/product_images/uploaded_images/ipad-case-genius-.png

and she loves it. perfect for watching tv/netflix in the bed with the ipad.

Ann P
Aug 15, 2013, 05:33 AM
The 11" will be a pain to use in bed, your neck will be sore. You really gotta be slouching or laying down at all times.

DisplacedMic
Aug 15, 2013, 05:51 AM
The 11" will be a pain to use in bed, your neck will be sore. You really gotta be slouching or laying down at all times.

i don't know if i agree with that.

yliu
Aug 16, 2013, 02:29 PM
browsing in bed? = iPad

I'd say iPad mini. The iPad is quite heavy to hold up, and it keeps slipping out of my hands.

Although I can't imagine how someone use a laptop "in bed laying on the back with the MBA on the chest"... Try it with another laptop, your neck will be sore in 10 minutes.
You might use your to elevate your body (so you're not lying flat) and use the laptop on your lap. In this case, I'd opt for the 13 inch for the larger screen and better battery life.

There is no point of using an 11 inch as portability is not an important factor. Plus, the larger screen will fill your vision more at night.

Aylan
Aug 16, 2013, 03:00 PM
I will chime in and say that it is definitely not worth getting the BTO options just for the sake of resale value. Most people seem to ignore those and they look at the price of the base model as a guide for pricing. For your usage, I'd say go with the 11" i5. Unless you will be using pro apps, 4GB will be just fine for RAM. I would say to consider the uprgade to the 256GB SSD if you have a large media collection or just have tons of files.

troutspinner
Aug 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
Get the base 11" and save the rest for your chiropractor. ;)

coldjeanzzz
Aug 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
A maxed out 11 inch MBA for those purposes is a giant waste of money and you're not doing yourself any favors by aiming for resale value when it would be easier to sell a base mode down the road. But oh well your money, spend it how you want