Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
This damn ad is everywhere. I'm beginning to miss the blue/green WebX guy.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 138

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm with you. There has been some really annoying ads lately. Just yesterday (or the day before) I got one of those big animated "Your PC might be infected..." or whatever, in a big Windows style message box, with fake Yes and No buttons...

Oh, makes even this oldie but goodie, a relief to see (;)), even if it has started to come in a screaming red and blue version. (Well, well, at least they arent animated...)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 123

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Where are these ads? I only ever get simple text ones in the forums. Are you talking about the ads on the front page? The front page is for n00bs. :D

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 110

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
mad jew said:
Where are these ads? I only ever get simple text ones in the forums. Are you talking about the ads on the front page? The front page is for n00bs. :D
Nope, my examples appear her in the forums. What's this "front page"...? :D

A new variant actually appeared now while I replied to this... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    42 KB · Views: 99

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
yeah, i have really noticed these current ad's more then the ones in the past. they are a little annoying...

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I rarely get anything other than a Crucial banner at the top, and a Fasthosts one at the bottom.
Anyone here pay the $25 subscription fee to get rid of them?

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
camomac said:
yeah, i have really noticed these current ad's more then the ones in the past. they are a little annoying...

The common thread is that the ads are a pain in the rear. It is like trying to decide which of these you prefer in real life situations ... looking at someone who is chewing with their mouth open or not covering their mouth while sneezing near you while on the train.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Will Cheyney said:
I rarely get anything other than a Crucial banner at the top, and a Fasthosts one at the bottom.
Anyone here pay the $25 subscription fee to get rid of them?

I think the contribution only gets ads blocked on the front page; demi-gods still get the ads in the forums. Its for a good cause; so I dont mind (except for that blue-green face guy). :mad:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
aww, I always loved the shopzilla ones.

That shopping cart looked SO FAST with the flames behind it!

OK, I have a strange taste in advertising.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
for obvious reasons, I don't permit ad blocking on the site. and you certainly can't encourage it.

contributors will have front page and top of forum banners removed.

arn

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Yes, sometimes when a ad is used to much people tend to be annoyed by it, and will likely never shop there, and that would defaet the purpose of an ad :rolleyes:

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
MacEffects said:
Yes, sometimes when a ad is used to much people tend to be annoyed by it, and will likely never shop there, and that would defaet the purpose of an ad :rolleyes:

Uhm.... for a moment there I always thought your sig was an ad (when it was at the bottom of the screen).

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
MacEffects said:
I don't believe in psychology like that. I think that if the price is right, you'll shop somewhere whatever!
I certainly wouldn't not shop somewhere just because "I saw a banner once and it was really annoying".

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
arn said:
for obvious reasons, I don't permit ad blocking on the site. and you certainly can't encourage it.

contributors will have front page and top of forum banners removed.

arn

I understand and don't use the ad blocking css-- it can cause more problems than it solves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.