PDA

View Full Version : "No internet connection"

Uguubot
Aug 15, 2013, 01:44 AM
Hi guys, I bought my Macbook Air the day it came out a month or two ago. Overall, I enjoy it, but one thing thats really bothering me is the fact that it seemingly can NEVER connect to my home internet wirelessly anymore.

My tablet can connect, my phone can, even my mothers iPhone can connect. But the moment I try to connect with my Macbook air, it won't give me an internet connection, with a ! in the wifi tab. It used to work - and sometimes still works, but 99% of the time it won't work.

I called Apple, and they sent me to an update on their website. It worked for a day, but, then it went and failed again. Does Apple expect me to get a new router just to use their machines? Although I enjoy it, I am very disappointed. I bought something with quite a bit of money saved up, and, it ultimately almost never works.

GimmeSlack12
Aug 15, 2013, 01:47 AM
Take it to an Apple store. Get a replacement. If it isn't working right, then something's wrong right?

seveej
Aug 15, 2013, 01:51 AM
Greetings,

Sorry to hear that, but if you want us to be able to supply you with some help, we'll need some details.

First: Are you regularly able to connect to other wireless networks (so that you're sure your Air's wireless is not busted)?

Second: What wireless router are you working with? Is it configurable? Have you accessed it to check it's settings? Is it possible that the model's limited to a number of wireless clients (especially some wireless routers supplied by ISP's have that 'feature')?

Third: What is the exact problem (error message) the Air gives you when you click on that "!"? Have you checked your Airport TCP/IP and DHCP settings?

RGDS,

Uguubot
Aug 15, 2013, 01:59 AM
Take it to an Apple store. Get a replacement. If it isn't working right, then something's wrong right?

I did - it worked then, of course, and the genius looked at me like I was an idiot, as per every time I go visit them. "Sorry sir, it looks like it's working so there's nothing I can do to help you."

----------

Greetings,

Sorry to hear that, but if you want us to be able to supply you with some help, we'll need some details.

First: Are you regularly able to connect to other wireless networks (so that you're sure your Air's wireless is not busted)?

Although I'm not over there everyday to check it out, it's worked everytime I've tried at a buddies house and my granfathers house.

Second: What wireless router are you working with? Is it configurable? Have you accessed it to check it's settings? Is it possible that the model's limited to a number of wireless clients (especially some wireless routers supplied by ISP's have that 'feature')?

ISP provided netgear 890-755044. It's pretty crappy, honestly. I haven't checked its settings, but based on my experiences with it it doesn't have a limit on how many devices can access it - although I will look into that now

Third: What is the exact problem (error message) the Air gives you when you click on that "!"? Have you checked your Airport TCP/IP and DHCP settings?

"No internet connection". I haven't checked my settings from the Macbook - is there anything specific that might need adjusting? Nothing else has had trouble connecting.

RGDS,

I another call from Apple coming tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes it so I can enjoy my Macbook, because I really love OS X so far, especially compared to Windows on a laptop. But if it doesn't work (Some googling says it might be because of the new wifi chip in the computer not being backwards compatible with some models?), I will probably just ebay or craigslist it and pick up a less "beta" computer for me.

Mrbobb
Aug 16, 2013, 12:26 AM
I suggest u use the SEARCH button and read all the Air 2013/HASWELL WIFI threads, sounds like a known-issue.