PDA

View Full Version : Copy file from broken MBA

Avicenna
Aug 15, 2013, 03:45 AM
I have a MBA that's broken (spilled water, i think the mother board is fried). The SSD is still alive and working though. I know this because right after, I took it to a store and they backed up to a new machine for $100.

It's been 2 months and I need a file on that MBA. I am wondering how I can get data from SSD transferred without paying $100. Like a DIY method. Thanks!

Ronnoco
Aug 15, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have a MBA that's broken (spilled water, i think the mother board is fried). The SSD is still alive and working though. I know this because right after, I took it to a store and they backed up to a new machine for $100.

It's been 2 months and I need a file on that MBA. I am wondering how I can get data from SSD transferred without paying $100. Like a DIY method. Thanks!

If this is a 2012 or earlier, I'd imagine you can just by a USB 3.0 external case and connect it to another computer. If it is one of the newer PCIe Apple drives, i don't know if there are external cases for those yet...
I suppose a trip to the Apple store would work as well.

Avicenna
Aug 15, 2013, 04:16 AM
If this is a 2012 or earlier, I'd imagine you can just by a USB 3.0 external case and connect it to another computer. If it is one of the newer PCIe Apple drives, i don't know if there are external cases for those yet...
I suppose a trip to the Apple store would work as well.

It says (c) 2011. Model A1369 - I bought it January 2012.

Do you know how much Apple charges for it? There's a local store here (not Apple store) that's going to charge me $120 for this, that's why I want to stay away from it. I wouldn't mind paying $20 for it. All I want is 1 file on that SSD.

Mr Rabbit
Aug 15, 2013, 10:57 AM
It says (c) 2011. Model A1369 - I bought it January 2012.

Do you know how much Apple charges for it? There's a local store here (not Apple store) that's going to charge me $120 for this, that's why I want to stay away from it. I wouldn't mind paying $20 for it. All I want is 1 file on that SSD.

Thats a Mid-2011 13" MacBook Air.

What are you using for a computer now?

Apple likely won't transfer the data if the Mac isn't functioning properly, its one of those gray area policies that was frowned upon.

You might look at Other World Computing's Envoy enclosure (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MAU3ENVOY/), you could install your old SSD into it and use like you would an external hard drive. They currently sell for $47.99. Seems a bit overkill I know when you only need 1 file but it would be a nice, FAST, external drive afterwards.