PDA

View Full Version : Media Center

Lornaevo
Aug 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
I need a bit of advice with my media setup. I have a hackintosh as a media center. I want to get rid of my cable boxes and get a HDHomerun Prime, would the prime work with Appletv 3?

otisg
Aug 15, 2013, 10:41 AM
I believe the HDHomeRun Prime only works well (subjectively) with Windows Media Center. Supposedly it works with EyeTV, but I think it is severely limited by any copy-protection flags the cable company puts on the video. Assuming your cable provider uses all copy-freely flags, I believe that in theory you can use a mac to record and transcode up to 3 channels simultaneously and an iOS device to airplay Live TV and recordings to an Apple TV.

This may get very interesting in the future when the new HDHomeRun comes out (supposed to be 4-tuner with hardware H.264 transcoding). Once that happens, hopefully they write a Roku app (or Apple TV, if they have an SDK by then) and make it awesome.

I have an HDHomeRun Dual and this definitely works with basic cable channels, although I wouldn't say the interface and experience are that great.

I currently have TWC and use exclusively the TWC TV apps for iPad and Roku (no cable boxes or cable cards at all). This doesn't have any DVR functionality, but I just use TWC on-demand. There is rumored to be a TWC TV app for Apple TV coming soon, so perhaps this will up the ante somehow.

Lornaevo
Aug 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
Thank You. I'm in NYC and also have TWC. Does the iPad app include all channels you subscribe to or is it limited?