PDA

View Full Version : how will intel macs effect old ones.

fyrmedic
Nov 18, 2005, 09:32 AM
I have a 4year old power book and a new PMg5 dual core. will i still be able to use software once mac starts production of the intel macs:confused:

MacTruck
Nov 18, 2005, 09:34 AM
I have a 4year old power book and a new PMg5 dual core. will i still be able to use software once mac starts production of the intel macs:confused:

Well you can use your existing softare forever. You can buy new software for I would say 4 yrs after apple goes to intel but after that it would be time to abondon the risc platform.

fyrmedic
Nov 18, 2005, 05:58 PM
Well you can use your existing softare forever. You can buy new software for I would say 4 yrs after apple goes to intel but after that it would be time to abondon the risc platform.

is that typical support for a big hardware change? does mac quit updating older software...IE panther after a certian period..upgrade or die?

kgarner
Nov 18, 2005, 06:08 PM
is that typical support for a big hardware change? does mac quit updating older software...IE panther after a certian period..upgrade or die?
Apple hasn't updated Panther since Tiger came out. They were at version 10.3.9 when Tiger was released. And it's still there. Apple's universal binaries will help keep software compatible with PPCs for the forseeable future, but 4-5 years from now is an eternity in computer terms.

As was stated previously, if you never upgrade your software, you can use your computer unitl it becomes irrepairable. If you continue to upgrade your system and applications, you will eventually hit a point where your computer can't cut it anymore.