Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

News of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for the iPad first hit in March of 2012 and was followed by a December 2012 release.

After being in the App Store for six months, the game was pulled over a contractual dispute between Overhaul Games (a division of Beamdog), and Atari, who had requested the game's removal from the App Store.

It appears the dispute has been resolved and the game returned to the App Store this morning. According to our sister site TouchArcade, a future patch for the original game is in the works, as is Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition. TouchArcade also has a full review of the game from when it was originally released, warning that the "game requires commitment" and "keeps its treasure for the dedicated."

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition can be downloaded from the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Returns to App Store Following Contractual Dispute

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Based on that review, sounds like it's worth waiting for the patch (and reviews about whether the touch controls are better) before buying it.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Would buy but too much space required :(.

Must get more than 16gb for my iOS devices :eek:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Would buy but too much space required :(.

Must get more than 16gb for my iOS devices :eek:

It's back on the MAS too. Personally, I would get it there for the best experience, anyway. Don't be disgruntled by the larger price, it's actually the same--the MAS version just includes all the DLC.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Are you aware of what Baldur's Gate is? It's a huge, complex RPG ported from the PC. It's not you're traditional dumbed-down iOS game. $10 is a steal.

Oh I know exactly what Baldur's Gate is. I've bought and play the PC versions. It's just not a game I'm willing to pay $10 for to play on my iPad. I'm just saying, I'll wait for a sale.

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
The patch that was on the way before the problem occurred seemed to be a real improvement. I hope it is not far from release now.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Oh I know exactly what Baldur's Gate is. I've bought and play the PC versions. It's just not a game I'm willing to pay $10 for to play on my iPad. I'm just saying, I'll wait for a sale.

Value judgments on apps are so messed up I can actually see what you're getting at, even though I own BG:EE and can tell you it provides the same value as a $10 game on Steam. I also hemmed and hawed a bit. It's a great story with hours of gameplay and a completely new UI. It's also buggy as hell but I found work arounds and I'm sure they've patched many of them out since then.

Here's one thing. Enhanced Edition has a second really fun campaign that's basically an arena fight within an RPG framework. I've played through in about five times as you level really quickly and fight fun enemies. It's a great way to test different group makeups. If this campaign were its own app, it'd easily be worth 4 or 5 bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.