Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
I bought the nexus 7 last week and have been enjoying all the things you can do on Android. Today I was going to load up some of my favorite game apps when it became quickly clear that Android is a wasteland for gaming. Either the majority of the games are not available for Android or worse not yet compatible with the Nexus (that irks me)

With the immense fragmentation, piracy, and a much lower rate of app purchases I can see why developers don't give Android priority despite the larger market share.

I was going to sell my iPad 3 but I guess it will remain in my stable of devices despite me wanting to get rid of some. So if anyone is thinking of making the jump and like gaming on a mobile device, iOS is superior in that dept still.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
App wise, I've definitely been gaming a lot less on my N7 versus when I had the iPad 3. But Emulator/ROM wise, been gaming a ton more. Replaying classic SNES and PSone era RPGs - it's a wonderful thing.

Also, been reading a lot more on my N7.

I can understand people sticking w/ iOS tablets for app gaming purposes.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
App wise, I've definitely been gaming a lot less on my N7 versus when I had the iPad 3. But Emulator/ROM wise, been gaming a ton more. Replaying classic SNES and PSone era RPGs - it's a wonderful thing.

Also, been reading a lot more on my N7.

I can understand people sticking w/ iOS tablets for app gaming purposes.

Sounds like we are similar in our usage patterns. For web browsing and reading it's my go to device now. I'm also taking it most places I go and tether my iPhone to it. I never took the iPad anywhere.

As far as Roms yeah I've been having fun with those and playing old school sierra and lucasarts games via scummvm.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I find 8bit and 16 bit gaming to be a little unsatisfying.

Thankfully iOS 7 is getting controller support. That plus powerful gpu's should lead to more dreamcast and PS2 class games.

I played Sonic and Castlevania enough times when they were big when I was a kid. I do like some of the Japan only PC Engine games though

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Apps are the number one reason why I bought an iPad four months after buying a Nexus 7. I could never get rid of my iPad now.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
music apps are the reason I kept my iPad 2 for so long. And they are the reason I plan to buy the next iPad.

I do use my N7 to read a lot though.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Games and music apps are much in plenty on ios and better than android for sure.

If you are the kind of person who loves playing budget indie games like Mikey Shorts and looks forward to the best in touch gaming , ios is a clear winner.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
games seem fine to me on android for the games I play so no issues for me.

I'm becoming more of a mobile gamer nowadays because my time at home is limited. I really wanted to ditch of of my tablets. Android is a lot of fun to use and has the functionality I yearn for in my iPad however the the quantity and quality of the apps on the iPad is leaps and bounds ahead.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I bought one for my daughter and its a great device but I just can't go smaller than the ipad mini screen size. I do love the speed of the nexus though, I was impressed.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I use emulators to play Donkey Kong Land, Donkey Kong Country, Metal Slug, Simpson's games, etc.

Emulators are way more fun than games for iOS or Android.

Game Boy and Game Gear are my favorites.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
that's because there are still not enough apps which are truly made for tablets, ipad is still the best tablet for gaming, but in almost every other category android tablets are better than the ipad

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
More so than any other category of apps, gaming is the biggest area where iOS holds an significant advantage over Android. Don't get me wrong, Android has a huge library of games and your pretty much spoiled for choice but the situation is comparative to say PS2 and the original xbox or PS1 and the N64. By that i mean while the library is respectable, there is a noticeable number of big/popular titles missing from it. Another issue being that you often have to wait quite a while for an Android release of a game.

One of the reasons why i eventually decided against the nexus 7 as my next tablet purchase.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm becoming more of a mobile gamer nowadays because my time at home is limited. I really wanted to ditch of of my tablets. Android is a lot of fun to use and has the functionality I yearn for in my iPad however the the quantity and quality of the apps on the iPad is leaps and bounds ahead.

To be honest i'm not a huge gamer..i like playing temple run 2, subway, iron man for example and they look great on my S4.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You are keeping your iPad 3 for gaming?

yvuhyqy5.jpg

If I gamed on mine I'd be looking to get rid of it. Which I am but I'm waiting for the next iPad.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Yup, I agree. I figured this out last year when I bought the first gen N7. Now I'm just waiting to buy the 5th gen iPad. That is one of the many reasons why I'm not switching to Android any time soon, if at all.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
You are keeping your iPad 3 for gaming?

If I gamed on mine I'd be looking to get rid of it. Which I am but I'm waiting for the next iPad.

Interesting. I was not aware of the iPad 3s limitations. But it makes complete sense being that the older chip is running a higher res. I'll probably ditch the 3, buy a 5, and when my contact is up get an android phone. In finding integration between the two ecosystems to be less of a issue than I thought it would originally be. The 3 is also LTE which I never use on it anymore.

As far as the 7 I'll probably hang on to it as I'm finding myself taking it everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.