PDA

View Full Version : Launch of 'Automatic Link' Smart Driving Assistant Further Delayed

MacRumors
Aug 15, 2013, 04:46 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/15/launch-of-automatic-link-smart-driving-assistant-further-delayed/)

Automatic today sent out an update email to customers eagerly awaiting one of its Link connected car systems (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/automatic-link-app-and-bluetooth-adapter-create-connected-car-for-diagnostics-and-safety/), announcing that the public release date of the product has been pushed back yet again (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/24/automatic-connected-car-system-delayed-until-august/).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/automatic-reader-800x478.pngAs we work to fulfill your pre-order, here's an update. In short, we're making a lot of progress towards the public launch of Automatic, but we're pushing back that date by just a few weeks. Read on!In the email, Automatic says that despite shipping a number of test units to customers who volunteered for a private beta (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/24/automatic-connected-car-system-delayed-until-august/), production delays have prevented them from shipping additional devices to beta customers who have yet to receive a Link.Unfortunately, we recently experienced a production delay, which has temporarily affected our ability to ship Links to Beta customers. We're working around the clock (literally!) to fix the issue and our hope is to ship to all remaining Beta customers by the end of the month.Beta customers were originally supposed to receive both the Link and the accompanying app in mid-June, but the company now expects the remaining Links to ship out by late August.

The Automatic Smart Driving Assistant can currently be preordered from the Automatic website for $69.95. Automatic claims that the Link and iPhone app will begin shipping out to standard customers in September and in the meantime, MacRumors has posted a hands-on look (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/hands-on-with-the-automatic-connected-driving-assistant-system/) at the device and its accompanying app.

(Thanks, John!)

Article Link: Launch of 'Automatic Link' Smart Driving Assistant Further Delayed (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/15/launch-of-automatic-link-smart-driving-assistant-further-delayed/)

iMacBooked
Aug 15, 2013, 04:48 PM
Again delayed? :(

aardwolf
Aug 15, 2013, 04:57 PM
I JUST got a tracking number yesterday. Thank goodness mine shipped before the delay...

danielsan26
Aug 15, 2013, 04:58 PM
Got my beta testing unit a few days ago, and I'm loving it so far. I thought there might be more engine and process-monitoring features, but no complaints. Works perfectly. I especially like that it remembers where I parked, and actively tracks mileage.

SkippyThorson
Aug 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
I REALLY wanted one of these things. So much so that I passed up a $40 OBDII scanner. I'm second-guessing my choice now... Shame. This thing has such promise.

apunkrockmonk
Aug 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
Ordered 3/13/13.

I haven't received a tracking number or anything yet.

Edit: I received mine in the mail yesterday, it's pretty neat so far.

I'm excited for when the application is out of beta and is closer to feature complete.

ThomasJL
Aug 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Just curious: Will this product store any of your private data (such as the streets and locations you drove to) on a server?

Does PRISM have any possible way of collecting someone's personal data (such as where they were driving) if he used Automatic?

clukas
Aug 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Shame about the delays, im sure they can work this out quickly. Cannot wait for this to launch in the U.K.

Aug 15, 2013, 05:33 PM
I have mine now since 1 week. It works great for me.

The only thing I am seeing is that the app is sucking the batter on my iPhone, which runs iOS 7.0. Don't know how it behaves on iOS 6.x, but they mention some problems with iOS 7.0 and recommend not using it yet

--> guess thats what I get when I run a beta device with beta software on an beta operating system

... but they still have time to fix it for the official iOS 7.0 release

I love the Automatic Link and the app is really nice.

----------

Got my beta testing unit a few days ago, and I'm loving it so far. I thought there might be more engine and process-monitoring features, but no complaints. Works perfectly. I especially like that it remembers where I parked, and actively tracks mileage.

I think they mention somewhere on their blog that they are looking into adding this and more statistics and real time data in a future version

----------

Just curious: Will this product store any of your private data (such as the streets and locations you drove to) on a server?

Does PRISM have any possible way of collecting someone's personal data (such as where they were driving) if he used Automatic?

PRISM knows everything, PRISM can do anything, PRISM knows you are posting here about it ... the only thing you can do to be save is to hide in a cave with no electricity and no contact to the outside world.

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 15, 2013, 05:42 PM
This device also doubles as a Nintendo 64 memory pack.

Davmeister
Aug 15, 2013, 05:44 PM
Another problem I found with this device...many cars have covers that hide the port beneath the steering column. By putting this device in, you can't actual replace said cover (usually includes fuses etc. next to the port), so you get this ugly mess below the wheel.

A nice idea though, and the above problem isn't the same for all cars.

herr_neumann
Aug 15, 2013, 06:16 PM
Literally doesn't mean what it used to: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/15/living/literally-definition/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

iansilv
Aug 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
I don't understand why this thing is so hyped- aren't there a dozen or so Wifi-enabled or bluetooth enabled odb-II dongles that work with any app, not just the one Automatic makes?

carmenodie
Aug 15, 2013, 07:00 PM
That device has NSA written all over it.

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 15, 2013, 08:38 PM
I don't understand why this thing is so hyped- aren't there a dozen or so Wifi-enabled or bluetooth enabled odb-II dongles that work with any app, not just the one Automatic makes?

I think it's the ease of use and software paired with it. It's not the first and it's not claiming to be the first. It's the first, good looking, adapter.

motoracer1486
Aug 15, 2013, 09:33 PM
PRISM knows everything, PRISM can do anything, PRISM knows you are posting here about it ... the only thing you can do to be save is to hide in a cave with no electricity and no contact to the outside world.

The scary part is you're absolutely right.

Cisco_Kid
Aug 16, 2013, 12:47 AM

I agree with you, and most new vehicles have all of the features of this device built in to the dash computer.

Pretty hard to find a new vehicle without a screen in the dash these days, this product has peaked before it has even shipped.

Big-TDI-Guy
Aug 16, 2013, 02:04 AM
That device has NSA written all over it.

Here's the thing - who cares about the OBD device from a privacy standpoint. Your car has license plates - and with the vast array of cameras out there, you already have been tracked.

By chance, do you have a cellphone on you? Who cares about your cars info - they can just track that and extrapolate everything else. Anyone remember when it was discovered that iTunes had logged iPhone data. You could see a map of everywhere you had been - which I found quite depressing. (98% home-work-home travel) Sure, that data may not be as easily accessible to you or I now - but it's still generated every day - and I'm sure someone can still see it.

Or is your fuel economy that sensitive? I think that's all the additional information they'll get from this device... ;)

itsamemario
Aug 16, 2013, 04:00 AM

Niko, is that you?

----------

I agree with you, and most new vehicles have all of the features of this device built in to the dash computer.

Pretty hard to find a new vehicle without a screen in the dash these days, this product has peaked before it has even shipped.

It's pretty easy to find a Honda Accord. Most new cars I've seen don't even tell you what your fuel consumption is.

----------

I kinda want one of these, but I think I'd rather get a simpler one. This thing is impressive. I heard $18 earlier for a cheap one.

MTShipp
Aug 16, 2013, 06:55 AM
I JUST got a tracking number yesterday. Thank goodness mine shipped before the delay...

You got my second one :)

I had ordered two originally. Got in on beta and have been using the first one. After testing the first unit, I decided I did not want to have a second one so I canceled the second unit.

TheMacBookPro
Aug 16, 2013, 07:19 AM
It's pretty easy to find a Honda Accord. Most new cars I've seen don't even tell you what your fuel consumption is.

2013 Accord?

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/13q1/499888/2013-honda-accord-sport-sedan-instrument-cluster-photo-501688-s-1280x782.jpg

I haven't seen any modern vehicle, bar extremely basic models, without a multifunction instrument cluster display.

ALMF
Aug 16, 2013, 07:22 AM
There are insurance companies offering devices like this one.

They will know if you speed or do anything that is "bad" while operating the vehicle.

litmag01
Aug 16, 2013, 08:32 AM
They're working on a way to somehow adopt a freemium model.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Aug 16, 2013, 09:14 AM
I don't see the hype for this. I've been doing everything this does and MUCH more for years using a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle for $15 and my iPhone. Works much better, tracks much more, and it's been available.

pilateisadog
Aug 16, 2013, 09:21 AM
I've had my Automatic for a few weeks now. I enjoy being an early tech adopter and checking out new gadgets. I'm not uber-critical like many of the thread-posters, but I will say this is 70 bucks that I'd like to have back.

The UI is clean and has some nice little touches (I'm not sure if it customized to each user/vehicle, but there's a little car that "drives" up and down the screen as you scroll from trip to trip. The one in my app looks just like my white Accord - not sure if that's coincidence or a cool little detail.)

The issues:
The link will randomly not connect to the app.

The map/parking location feature is weak at best. Sure, it may get you in a general vicinity, but if you were at an airport or a mall, especially an area with parking decks, it's of very little use. Also, there is no way to turn on satellite view in the map, making it even more difficult to determine where your vehicle is. It's also completely inaccurate at times. Earlier this week, I left work and drove about miles before stopping for gas. When I pulled up the app (as I was standing next to my car pumping gas into it), it showed that my car was still in my work parking lot.

This morning on my way into work, the check engine light came on. Although that's typically a bad thing, I was actually excited to get some use out of Automatic to see what was going on. I pull up the app, and it doesn't even register that my light is on. What a complete joke, that's one of the most enticing features of the app.

This product is just a novelty. I would not recommend buying it.

However, in response to the rather ignorant posters that made comments about all new car having these features built in. Yeah, they do. But what's more financially reasonable, going out and buying a new car in order to get these features, or $70 for a device that is supposed to add the features that an older model car doesn't have?

In addition, not knowing the full technical output capabilities of the OBD II ports, I would think that the device could give you more information. I was hoping that it would serve as a dashboard for all data about my car, mileage, miles to empty, actual mpg while driving, etc.

Finally, another poster's comment on another thread about Automatic is very true. You know how you drive. No little "link" beeping at you is going to keep you from going over 70 mph (which is a joke anyway, bc a set speed limit does not mean reduced fuel efficiency for every single vehicle. 70 mph is vastly different for my 4 cyl Accord than a 8 cyl Audi) or driving aggressively and hard-breaking.

Also, the there is no emergency call feature in the Beta app, but out of fairness, that was made know before we elected to join the Beta program.

Overall, interesting concept, decent UI, poor execution - ultimately of very little actual use.

Aug 17, 2013, 07:11 AM
I've had my Automatic for a few weeks now. I enjoy being an early tech adopter and checking out new gadgets. I'm not uber-critical like many of the thread-posters, but I will say this is 70 bucks that I'd like to have back.

The UI is clean and has some nice little touches (I'm not sure if it customized to each user/vehicle, but there's a little car that "drives" up and down the screen as you scroll from trip to trip. The one in my app looks just like my white Accord - not sure if that's coincidence or a cool little detail.)

The issues:
The link will randomly not connect to the app.

The map/parking location feature is weak at best. Sure, it may get you in a general vicinity, but if you were at an airport or a mall, especially an area with parking decks, it's of very little use. Also, there is no way to turn on satellite view in the map, making it even more difficult to determine where your vehicle is. It's also completely inaccurate at times. Earlier this week, I left work and drove about miles before stopping for gas. When I pulled up the app (as I was standing next to my car pumping gas into it), it showed that my car was still in my work parking lot.

This morning on my way into work, the check engine light came on. Although that's typically a bad thing, I was actually excited to get some use out of Automatic to see what was going on. I pull up the app, and it doesn't even register that my light is on. What a complete joke, that's one of the most enticing features of the app.

This product is just a novelty. I would not recommend buying it.

However, in response to the rather ignorant posters that made comments about all new car having these features built in. Yeah, they do. But what's more financially reasonable, going out and buying a new car in order to get these features, or $70 for a device that is supposed to add the features that an older model car doesn't have?

In addition, not knowing the full technical output capabilities of the OBD II ports, I would think that the device could give you more information. I was hoping that it would serve as a dashboard for all data about my car, mileage, miles to empty, actual mpg while driving, etc.

Finally, another poster's comment on another thread about Automatic is very true. You know how you drive. No little "link" beeping at you is going to keep you from going over 70 mph (which is a joke anyway, bc a set speed limit does not mean reduced fuel efficiency for every single vehicle. 70 mph is vastly different for my 4 cyl Accord than a 8 cyl Audi) or driving aggressively and hard-breaking.

Also, the there is no emergency call feature in the Beta app, but out of fairness, that was made know before we elected to join the Beta program.

Overall, interesting concept, decent UI, poor execution - ultimately of very little actual use.

I always have to laugh when people use beta versions and then 'review' the product as useless because it has bugs - guess what: beta versions are expected to crash & burn. That said - I only had one instance where it didn't connect to the iPhone, but again, that is to be expected. I also just got email that they will replace my link device since they found some incompatibilities with my car (Prius) which would interfere with the break-rechager - again, I am not mad, but happy that I could provide data to them during the beta to make it a better product.

pilateisadog
Aug 27, 2013, 03:52 PM
I always have to laugh when people use beta versions and then 'review' the product as useless because it has bugs - guess what: beta versions are expected to crash & burn. That said - I only had one instance where it didn't connect to the iPhone, but again, that is to be expected. I also just got email that they will replace my link device since they found some incompatibilities with my car (Prius) which would interfere with the break-rechager - again, I am not mad, but happy that I could provide data to them during the beta to make it a better product.

My review had nothing to do with the "beta" version. It has to do with the overall usefulness of the product. I realize that it is a beta version, but the final application will not be dramatically different. My overall point was, I don't find it worth $70. Pretty sure your response was useless.