PDA

View Full Version : iOS7 Beta 6 Feels finished ?

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 06:44 AM
To me on the iPhone 5 a1429 Beta 6 feel like a finished product, no more UI lag
everything feel much smoother been testing thoroughly and haven't found any issues.

What do you guys think ?

Honestly don't think we will see a Beta7, Personally i think Gm will arrive for employees on the 5th and to Dev's on the 10th

Appledict
Aug 16, 2013, 06:49 AM
Absolutely no.

Davejprince
Aug 16, 2013, 06:52 AM
Absolutely no.

explain

aDRock1154
Aug 16, 2013, 06:52 AM
Beta 6 was pushed to specifically fix (1) issue.

I think we have more to come...

Paradoxally
Aug 16, 2013, 06:54 AM
Beta 7 is needed.

They should fix the startup time, and some minor annoyances like Safari nearly always crashing. Seriously, I feel like I'm using an iPod touch 4G running iOS 5.0...that thing used to crash Safari every time you loaded a few tabs.

pickaxe
Aug 16, 2013, 06:58 AM
No, it feels quite unpolished, and the GM is right around the corner. It was obvious that this will happen - there was no way that Apple could go from Beta 1/2 (whatever version was the most recent at WWDC) to a finished, coherent project in just a few months. Development takes way longer than that.

IMO Apple started development of iOS7 no earlier than Q4 2012. And rather than holding the release another year, to deliver a mostly-finished product like the Apple of old, they'll just go ahead and release it.

But my opinion doesn't matter - it's the masses' opinion that would decide iOS7 - aka the casuals. And these guys are a lot harder to please.

atlatnesiti
Aug 16, 2013, 07:04 AM
Absolutely no.
Absolutely YES!
Icons are crap, UI is crap, iPhone 5S is crap,...
Have I missed any other crap?
iOS 7 = LOVE IT :)
Oh Crap.,,

CanesDrew
Aug 16, 2013, 07:11 AM
No, it feels quite unpolished, and the GM is right around the corner. It was obvious that this will happen - there was no way that Apple could go from Beta 1/2 (whatever version was the most recent at WWDC) to a finished, coherent project in just a few months. Development takes way longer than that.

IMO Apple started development of iOS7 no earlier than Q4 2012. And rather than holding the release another year, to deliver a mostly-finished product like the Apple of old, they'll just go ahead and release it.

But my opinion doesn't matter - it's the masses' opinion that would decide iOS7 - aka the casuals. And these guys are a lot harder to please.

Please tell me more, kimosabe.

AluminumQ45
Aug 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
are iCloud Safari tabs showing for anyone on beta 6? (or any beta for that matter)

They show up from my Mac to my iPad, but not the other way. And nothing shows up on the iPhone.

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 07:25 AM
are iCloud Safari tabs showing for anyone on beta 6? (or any beta for that matter)

They show up from my Mac to my iPad, but not the other way. And nothing shows up on the iPhone.

They seem to be working fine for me, not had a single crash i have noticed that the music app no longer displays artists pictures from iTunes just the Album art of the albums. Defiantly feels polished to me i have no long startup time maybe to a DFU restore ? B5 had terrible UI lag this is completely gone in B6. Feels faster than iOS 6.1.4 on another iP5

Menge
Aug 16, 2013, 07:28 AM
Nope. Still too many bugs and some slowdown. Beta 7 on the 23rd/26th, I hope.

LostSoul80
Aug 16, 2013, 07:37 AM
There are some known bugs to be fixed yet, but I'd say it's a pretty solid OS already. The most important issues seem to have been addressed, and it's now a usable OS, without stutterings or major stability problems.

Nothing says we won't get Beta 7 and Beta 8 before the GM anyways. Apple can push an update whenever they feel like doing it.

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 07:37 AM
There's a rumour that iOS 7 beta 6 will be the final beta release before Apple pushes out its final gold master build, which is expected to be released to partners on 5 September, ahead of its public release on 20 September. Such a release date would make sense.

LostSoul80
Aug 16, 2013, 07:41 AM
There's a rumour that iOS 7 beta 6 will be the final beta release before Apple pushes out its final gold master build, which is expected to be released to partners on 5 September, ahead of its public release on 20 September. Such a release date would make sense.

Source of those dates?
The public release will have to come out before the release of the new iPhone, so 20th september seems too late.

n-evo
Aug 16, 2013, 07:42 AM
I've been using iOS 7 since beta 1. With the exceptions of a few bugs I'd say the it feels pretty solid. The only thing that makes the whole experience feel unpolished is third-party apps that are still modeled after iOS 6.

Tyler23
Aug 16, 2013, 07:43 AM

...This was a hotfix, an issue they apparently felt was important enough to release a fix for without many other fixes included.

There wasn't much option to call this anything but beta 6.

The "beta 6" that had been rumored about will most likely be pushed next week as beta 7, and will be more of a complete update, with bug fixes and improvements more on par with the previous betas.

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 08:01 AM
Beta5 would respring/restart every hour or so after leaving apps open etc now i don't have that issue. if it was just a simple HOTFIX update then why couldn't they have waited till monday and bundled it with said beta7.

Daveoc64
Aug 16, 2013, 08:32 AM
Apple said there were known issues in Beta 5.

As mentioned, Beta 6 only seems to fix one particular thing. It's therefore very logical to assume that it's not "finished".

why couldn't they have waited till monday and bundled it with said beta7.

It sounds like the particular bug could have allowed people to download iTunes Store content that they hadn't paid for - a pretty serious issue.

abshole765
Aug 16, 2013, 08:46 AM
Beta 7 is needed.

They should fix the startup time, and some minor annoyances like Safari nearly always crashing. Seriously, I feel like I'm using an iPod touch 4G running iOS 5.0...that thing used to crash Safari every time you loaded a few tabs.

Dont use safari.

hamiltonDSi
Aug 16, 2013, 08:51 AM
When a product it's called beta it's never finished.
:)

MEJHarrison
Aug 16, 2013, 10:50 AM

Are you a developer? Just curious. I am. And like Apple, we've been working on a major upgrade of our system this year. Going live this weekend in fact.

My point is, for months now we've been working on bugs. But until just 2 days ago, the system felt very unpolished and ready to go. Why? Well, because we've spent the past few months working on the big things and important bugs. Those that would prevent us from going live with the new system. It wasn't until the majority of the bigger bugs were out of the way that we started looking into the little things. Primarily cosmetic issues, although there are still a few genuine bugs that may not be fixed until after the go-live. But they tend to be more uncommon things that people are more unlikely to run into (for example, enrolling a dependent on your health insurance, and then declining medical coverage; it's a silly thing, but we need to account for people doing silly things).

I don't work at Apple, so I don't know how they do their betas. But I've never seen a situation where people worried about the little cosmetic things before the bigger issues are handled.

So just because it may not feel polished at this point doesn't mean that it won't be when they release it. Like most developers, they're more likely to save silly little cosmetic issues (and perhaps some of the more uncommon bugs) until the very end once all the major issues are handled. And most bugs in this category tend to be fixable very quickly. Like us, I'm sure they meet regularly (I'd guess at least daily at this point) and go over their bugs and prioritize them. I'm sure they've already identified those cosmetic type issues that actually WILL take a long time to fix and jumped on them sooner. That's just the way software development works.

So to me, us being this close to iOS being released doesn't really bug me. I have no doubt that a lot of the polish will come at the end. And I'm not really worried at this point.

batting1000
Aug 16, 2013, 10:52 AM

Except beta 6 was an urgent bug fix so I don't think it'll count as the "one more beta". I think we'll still see a beta 7 this coming week.

Appledict
Aug 16, 2013, 11:08 AM
explain

Here is your explain.

When a product it's called beta it's never finished.
:)

C DM
Aug 16, 2013, 11:34 AM
Beta 6 isn't that much different than beta 5, so there are still known issues from beta 5 that are still there. Clearly not finished given that at the very least there would be a GM build, which in itself would have some more changes, and it seems that there will likely be at least one more beta before the GM build. So, no, not finished just yet.

michjosi
Aug 16, 2013, 11:41 AM
To me also beta 6 does not feel like GM. Especially the annoying calendar / contacts bug when birthdays show with a day +/- 1 is not acceptable in my opinion for a release. But overall system runs quite smoothly. I also noted a bug in task manager. When closing apps by swiping always 2 at once to the top after 1 or 2 times you do that system no longer shows one thumbnail. Hard to describe, i'll give screenshots later when back to my pc.

Tyler23
Aug 16, 2013, 11:42 AM
To me also beta 6 does not feel like GM. Especially the annoying calendar / contacts bug when birthdays show with a day +/- 1 is not acceptable in my opinion for a release. But overall system runs quite smoothly. I also noted a bug in task manager. When closing apps by swiping always 2 at once to the top after 1 or 2 times you do that system no longer shows one thumbnail. Hard to describe, i'll give screenshots later when back to my pc.

Beta 6 is not supposed to be the GM..it's a hotfix that had to be released before the full newest beta was meant to be released next week (which would've been beta 6.) Now, the beta next week will be beta 7, followed 3 weeks later by the GM on September 10th.

(Supposedly.)

michjosi
Aug 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
Yes, you are right. Also waiting for beta 7 hoping to sort the last bugs out :).

benji888
Aug 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
Nah, not finished. And I'm using iPhone 5 A1428.

I say two more betas to go, beta 8...maybe even a third beta 9 before GM.

Announcement Sept. 10th? Maybe, if so, it will be 3 weeks b4 new iPhones & iOS 7 is ready for public consumption. (Oct. 6th is current beta expiration date).

• Oct. 4th for new iPhone deliveries & iOS 7 public release.

deuxani
Aug 16, 2013, 12:06 PM
Well my iPad 2 still resprings everytime I open the Smart Cover (clean install) and my iPhone 5 has some UI inconsistencies, so no, this doesn't feel finished to me.

rwilliams
Aug 16, 2013, 12:12 PM
On my iPhone 5, Beta 5 & 6 both run like a GM-quality release. The only problem I remember having is the Contacts app will crash if you try to edit a contact and scroll quickly.

On my iPad 2, Beta 5 was sluggish, there was a bug where if you rotated the iPad at the lockscreen and then unlocked it, part of the screen would be missing. You had to rotate it again for the rest of the screen to appear. From what I've read, it seems that the betas have worked a lot better on the iPhone than the iPad.

rockyroad55
Aug 16, 2013, 12:13 PM
Needs one more beta. On the iPad 4, I'm getting that stuttering from when you close out an app and back to the home screen.

C DM
Aug 16, 2013, 12:19 PM

Announcement Sept. 10th? Maybe, if so, it will be 3 weeks b4 new iPhones & iOS 7 is ready for public consumption. (Oct. 6th is current beta expiration date).

• Oct. 4th for new iPhone deliveries & iOS 7 public release.Beta expiration doesn't really have much in relation to actual final release.

jonnyb098
Aug 16, 2013, 12:26 PM

• Oct. 4th for new iPhone deliveries & iOS 7 public release.

Wrong. Beta 7 will be final. Not sure where you pulled beta 9 from.....

Paradoxally
Aug 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
Dont use safari.

Why not? That is ridiculous.

C DM
Aug 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
Wrong. Beta 7 will be final. Not sure where you pulled beta 9 from.....We don't really know that for sure. There were even claims from insiders that beta 6 will be the final beta and will be released next week...just hours before beta 6 was released the same day...so, if the "insiders" don't really know everything, how would anyone know.

apollo1444
Aug 16, 2013, 12:44 PM
absolutely not

some animations lag from time to time, even if some iSheep iOS n00bs blindly say "no issues on mine" tho' I've tested two iPhone 5's 2 iPhone 4S's one iPad 2 and 1 iPhone 4. They all have some stuttering at times and some form of laggy thingies here and there SOMETIMES.

Do I believe Apple will get this thing running fast? No question about it.

Is Beta 6 polished and almost done? Hell no.

Beta 7 could probably make me eat my words and that's what I'm hopping next week

nas2344
Aug 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
yeah its still got some ways too go, imessage is a mess for me

benji888
Aug 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
Wrong. Beta 7 will be final. Not sure where you pulled beta 9 from.....

I pulled it out of my arse.

But, most people think Apple will follow previous iOS patterns...thing is, this is a total overhaul of iOS, nothing like this has been done before. I stick with my Oct. 4th date, maybe only beta 8, but 6 is most definitely not the last.

jonnyb098
Aug 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
We don't really know that for sure. There were even claims from insiders that beta 6 will be the final beta and will be released next week...just hours before beta 6 was released the same day...so, if the "insiders" don't really know everything, how would anyone know.

Beta 6 is a hot fix, there is very little if anything that has changed. It was a very "odd" release. And the GM is already being tested and perfected. Its going to be have to loaded on the the new phones within days as they are already in production.

benji888
Aug 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
We don't really know that for sure. There were even claims from insiders that beta 6 will be the final beta and will be released next week...just hours before beta 6 was released the same day...so, if the "insiders" don't really know everything, how would anyone know.

Exactly!

C DM
Aug 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
Beta 6 is a hot fix, there is very little if anything that has changed. It was a very "odd" release. And the GM is already being tested and perfected. Its going to be have to loaded on the the new phones within days as they are already in production.Within days can mean a range of days, so that doesn't really point to much more than iOS being released sometime in the fall, as Apple said when it introduced iOS 7.

So, yes, given everything so far it seems it's more likely that it will happen earlier in the fall rather than later, but at the same time no one seems to really know anyway.

jonnyb098
Aug 16, 2013, 01:08 PM
Within days can mean a range of days, so that doesn't really point to much more than iOS being released sometime in the fall, as Apple said when it introduced iOS 7.

So, yes, given everything so far it seems it's more likely that it will happen earlier in the fall rather than later, but at the same time no one seems to really know anyway.

What I mean by that is the gold master is probably very close to complete and close to being put on the new phones even though the devs wont get it for a few weeks yet.

Futhark
Aug 16, 2013, 01:18 PM
I noticed one of my contacts business address was incorrectly stored so I pressed edit and then went to scroll down to edit the address but it crashes every time on the scroll down :-(

iapplelove
Aug 16, 2013, 01:20 PM
Far from polished

Stuke00
Aug 16, 2013, 01:25 PM
They seem to be working fine for me, not had a single crash i have noticed that the music app no longer displays artists pictures from iTunes just the Album art of the albums. Defiantly feels polished to me i have no long startup time maybe to a DFU restore ? B5 had terrible UI lag this is completely gone in B6. Feels faster than iOS 6.1.4 on another iP5

Mine still shows artists pictures from iTunes. I love that.

----------

I noticed one of my contacts business address was incorrectly stored so I pressed edit and then went to scroll down to edit the address but it crashes every time on the scroll down :-(

edit it on icloud.com?

lulla01
Aug 16, 2013, 01:30 PM
After using it for a month, it's already boring and dated. In my opinion there wasn't enough added. Few things which would have been nice

1. Options for a 5 icon dock/ ui
2. Ability to close all open apps
3. Ability to hide apps from the screen from settings
4. Ability to change color scheme
5. More lockscreen customization.
6. Widgets
7. Gesture configurations for quickly opening apps:
8. Quick reply for SMS

I know not everyone agrees but this is just my feeling.

All in all it isn't as snappy navigating as iOS 6 was.

ajiuo
Aug 16, 2013, 01:52 PM
After using it for a month, it's already boring and dated. In my opinion there wasn't enough added. Few things which would have been nice

6. Widgets
8. Quick reply for SMS

I still think that quick reply and possibly some form of widgets / live icons will be a 5s only option.. In fact i think there could possibly be some sort of dashboard where spotlight use to be.

abshole765
Aug 16, 2013, 02:00 PM
Why not? That is ridiculous.

Safari is garbage.

C DM
Aug 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
What I mean by that is the gold master is probably very close to complete and close to being put on the new phones even though the devs wont get it for a few weeks yet.It's probably close, but it's also probably still not quite done yet and could likely need more than just a few days still. Again, no one really knows for sure (at least no one that will talk about it), but that seems fairly likely.

VSMacOne
Aug 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
It definitely needs more refinement so I say yes to beta 7. I think we'll see some speed enhancements like we did from b4 to b5, and more polish all around. I'm still hoping for a couple of surprises between beta 7 and GM on Sept. 10th (perhaps Quick Reply and some 5S specific features).
But boy, has iOS 7 come a long way since beta 1. Might be a while before we see another beta process as dramatic as this!

Gogurt48
Aug 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
Safari is garbage.

I used to think so, too, which is why I've always used a third-party browser. But I tried Safari with iOS 7 and I really like it now. I'm using it exclusively.

Rocko1
Aug 16, 2013, 02:58 PM
Absolutely no.

Not even close, Bud!

Shawzborne
Aug 16, 2013, 03:10 PM
Beta 8 is needed cell data toggle is needed more betas are needed

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 03:23 PM
Sorry but even the last beta will have one form of issue otherwise it would be GM so your argument is invalid otherwise you could say there's going to be 20betas lol if beta 7 came out you all would be like "yeah there's an issue with 'whatever' so there's going to be another beta. Who's to say all the beta 6 Bugs will be completely polished and goes straight to GM on the 5th ?

----------

Ios6 had 4 weeks from the last beta to GM take a look for yourself http://willhains.com/iOS-version-history there will be NO October GM as the iPhone will go on sale around 24/27th September GM is always released on the keynote which will be the 10th (for developers) and 5th (for apple employees)

JamesM
Aug 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
It's running great on my 5S, no startup problems, boots in just over 30 seconds.

ra4oasis
Aug 16, 2013, 03:35 PM
On my iPhone 5, with the exception of boot time, and no unlock sound, yes, it feels finished. It runs great.

On the iPad 2 however, I am still getting the random reboots that I got with Beta 5, many times when I open the smart cover. So it does not feel ready on the iPad 2 unfortunately.

DrFillster
Aug 16, 2013, 03:44 PM
It's a lot more stable than previous releases.

Still has a ways to go. Its doing some funky stuff with exchange invitations, frequently freezes with disconnecting phone calls, still having issues with font sizes.

Common Joe would complain endlessly about this release if bugs not fixed. Expect beta 7

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 03:44 PM
I think the slow startup issue is for people without a passcode or non dev install ? However Just tried a DFU restore without passcode and it boots in 30s so I don't know what's up with your iPhones maybe you did OTA ?

Paradoxally
Aug 16, 2013, 03:47 PM
Safari is garbage.

It works for me and looks better than any third party browser, which is also slower.

illyb2000
Aug 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
Not yet...still random crashes; I try to edit my number as a contact and crash

JamesM
Aug 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
I think the slow startup issue is for people without a passcode or non dev install ? However Just tried a DFU restore without passcode and it boots in 30s so I don't know what's up with your iPhones maybe you did OTA ?

Mine was OTA, I do have a passcode as well. How would a passcode affect boot time though?

MarcusCarpenter
Aug 16, 2013, 04:00 PM
Mine was OTA, I do have a passcode as well. How would a passcode affect boot time though?

Some users were reporting the slow boot was due to not having a passcode or non dev (undid activated) installs

SMIDG3T
Aug 16, 2013, 04:06 PM
No.

But the point I want to make is that Beta 6 came in at 13.5MB. There will be no improvements overall to iOS 7. Beta 6, I heard, fixes a critical bug so Apple wanted to fix it and release right away.

I have a feeling we will get, what will now be, Beta 7 on the Monday or Tuesday next week.

mavis
Aug 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
Dont use safari.

Exactly. Phone crashes a few minutes after turning it on? Solution: don't turn it on. :)

I've been using iOS7 on my iPhone 5 (A1429) since beta 1 - never downgraded back to 6.1.4 - and beta 5/6 seem pretty solid to me. I've been getting great battery life even with everything enabled, and the only UI issue I continue to have is that buttons aren't clearly marked, but I doubt they'll change that unless there's a massive uproar once iOS7 is made public.

So yeah - I think it's as ready as they're gonna make it.

dictoresno
Aug 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
My autobritness seems buggy. I have it on and dimmed low. I go to unlock the phone and it turns itself up brighter out of nowhere. I reset it to where I want it for this light level and lock it. Check it a few minutes later and it's on full dim. This wasn't happening in beta 5.

BasicGreatGuy
Aug 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
I still have very slow boot time (no passcode). 101 seconds. In previous betas, I was in the 20s.

Parise
Aug 16, 2013, 07:44 PM
Safari crashing for me ALL the time.

Messages crashing immediately after opening which requires a reboot.

UI transitions in the notification center still choppy.

Definitely needs more work.

teknikal90
Aug 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
explain

unlock phone. mid animation, try to swipe.
you can't. you could on ios 6.
that sort of polish is missing

Will2145
Aug 16, 2013, 07:49 PM
Are they going to make the dock more transparent cause the one they show at the keynotes looks a lot better than it is right now

mytakeontech
Aug 16, 2013, 08:02 PM
iPad3 multitasking bug is still not fixed.

Paddle1
Aug 16, 2013, 09:43 PM
Sorry but even the last beta will have one form of issue otherwise it would be GM so your argument is invalid otherwise you could say there's going to be 20betas lol if beta 7 came out you all would be like "yeah there's an issue with 'whatever' so there's going to be another beta. Who's to say all the beta 6 Bugs will be completely polished and goes straight to GM on the 5th ?

----------

Ios6 had 4 weeks from the last beta to GM take a look for yourself http://willhains.com/iOS-version-history there will be NO October GM as the iPhone will go on sale around 24/27th September GM is always released on the keynote which will be the 10th (for developers) and 5th (for apple employees)
It's planned to be released at a certain time, if it's still too buggy they can still delay it, and they can release betas until it reaches a stable enough usability level and it is the proper time to release iOS 7.

iOS 7 Beta 6 proves that if there are bugs that they find significant or urgent enough to fix they will release "extra" new betas.

iOS 7 Beta 6 is just Beta 5 with one big iTunes bug fixed. I think all other changes made since Beta 5 are being held for Beta 7 next week.

bushman4
Aug 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
Not finished. Apple will release Betas till issues are resolved and GM may not come out when Iphone5S comes out. Don't panic! all is well. Polishing comes last. and yes it definitely needs polish once issues are resolved.

Cougarcat
Aug 16, 2013, 10:48 PM
Not finished. Apple will release Betas till issues are resolved and GM may not come out when Iphone5S comes out.

You mean, announced? There's no way Apple will ship the 5S with iOS 6.

ntrigue
Aug 16, 2013, 10:51 PM
Not finished. Apple will release Betas till issues are resolved and GM may not come out when Iphone5S comes out. Don't panic! all is well. Polishing comes last. and yes it definitely needs polish once issues are resolved.

Uh, the new iOS releases on the new iPhone. They will not release 5C/5S without iOS 7.0.

nikicampos
Aug 16, 2013, 10:57 PM
Not finished at all, I think the UI won't have any more significant changes, but under the hood it still needs speed and performance and in one month or so until release it certainly will be ready.

fullauto
Aug 16, 2013, 11:04 PM
Still much needed work on the iPad version.

Feels ok on the 4S.

ntrigue
Aug 16, 2013, 11:06 PM
I think it is quite stable for majority of users. That said, there are MANY edge cases that still cause crashes: toggles, scrolling in certain areas, quickly editing photos.

matty.p
Aug 16, 2013, 11:07 PM
Still much needed work on the iPad version.

Feels ok on the 4S.

I wonder if we'll get the iOS 7 version for iPhone with the 5S and 5C releases but wait on the iPad version until a month later with the new iPad versions. It wouldn't be unheard of but would be odd. I agree with you though, the iPad versions feel less polished than where the iPhone is at now.

TyPod
Aug 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
My iPhone 5 crashes whenever I try to connect to a suggested WiFi. Anybody having this issue as well?

jamesnajera
Aug 17, 2013, 01:28 AM
Calendar subscriptions do not seem to be working. US Holidays iCal from apple.com install but do not show. Does anyone else have the same problem?

iOS beta 5 and iOS beta 6

syd430
Aug 17, 2013, 01:39 AM
The placebo effect is strong in this one.

Mad4clay
Aug 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
Are you a developer? Just curious. I am. And like Apple, we've been working on a major upgrade of our system this year. Going live this weekend in fact.

My point is, for months now we've been working on bugs. But until just 2 days ago, the system felt very unpolished and ready to go. Why? Well, because we've spent the past few months working on the big things and important bugs. Those that would prevent us from going live with the new system. It wasn't until the majority of the bigger bugs were out of the way that we started looking into the little things. Primarily cosmetic issues, although there are still a few genuine bugs that may not be fixed until after the go-live. But they tend to be more uncommon things that people are more unlikely to run into (for example, enrolling a dependent on your health insurance, and then declining medical coverage; it's a silly thing, but we need to account for people doing silly things).

I don't work at Apple, so I don't know how they do their betas. But I've never seen a situation where people worried about the little cosmetic things before the bigger issues are handled.

So just because it may not feel polished at this point doesn't mean that it won't be when they release it. Like most developers, they're more likely to save silly little cosmetic issues (and perhaps some of the more uncommon bugs) until the very end once all the major issues are handled. And most bugs in this category tend to be fixable very quickly. Like us, I'm sure they meet regularly (I'd guess at least daily at this point) and go over their bugs and prioritize them. I'm sure they've already identified those cosmetic type issues that actually WILL take a long time to fix and jumped on them sooner. That's just the way software development works.

So to me, us being this close to iOS being released doesn't really bug me. I have no doubt that a lot of the polish will come at the end. And I'm not really worried at this point.

Does this mean that my ability to shuffle genre's is a thing of the past? :(

benji888
Aug 17, 2013, 04:41 PM
Here's the timeline proposed out there back in June:

"...So if Apple keeps to this schedule with iOS 7, here are the iOS 7 release dates we’re looking at:
Beta 2 – Monday, June 24th
Beta 3 – Wednesday, July 10th
Beta 4 – Thursday, July 25th
Beta 5 – Monday, August 12th
Beta 6 – Friday, August 30th
Gold Master – Tuesday, September 10th
iOS 7 Final – Friday, September 20th..."

See here for their explanation: http://www.cultofmac.com/232580/when-will-the-next-ios-7-beta-arrive-when-will-ios-7-be-released-ios-7-timeline/#UV5SmKrPXqMVCKew.99

Now here's my explanation why I think that will not happen (it already hasn't):

Why anyone would think that Apple would stick with how they've done other iOS's is beyond me. All iOS updates have been incremental so far. iOS 7 is not an incremental update like all other iOS's. It is a total overhaul of the OS, so, it will not follow (and has not) previous patterns as this has not been done before.

Some of you can't seem to get this into your heads, you're so into this fantasy timeline based on past incremental update patterns.

It's not ready, still bugs and issues. I say beta 8 before the GM. IF, and I mean IF there is an Apple event September 10, that does not necessarily mean things will follow past patterns here either:
1) they are introducing 2 (count 'em TWO) new iPhones. (When has Apple done this before?).
2) iOS 7 is a complete overhaul, not just another update.
I say if it follows any pattern it'll be like iPhone 4 release, three weeks out: October 4th for new iPhone deliveries. And I'm sticking with it.

fullauto
Aug 17, 2013, 05:01 PM
I wonder if we'll get the iOS 7 version for iPhone with the 5S and 5C releases but wait on the iPad version until a month later with the new iPad versions. It wouldn't be unheard of but would be odd. I agree with you though, the iPad versions feel less polished than where the iPhone is at now.

Someone else suggested this, sounds probable.

When is the rumored iPad event? Sometime in October?

Cougarcat
Aug 17, 2013, 05:07 PM

"...So if Apple keeps to this schedule with iOS 7, here are the iOS 7 release dates we’re looking at:

See here for their explanation: http://www.cultofmac.com/232580/when-will-the-next-ios-7-beta-arrive-when-will-ios-7-be-released-ios-7-timeline/#UV5SmKrPXqMVCKew.99

Why anyone would think that Apple would stick with how they've done other iOS's is beyond me. All iOS updates have been incremental so far. iOS 7 is not an incremental update like all other iOS's. It is a total overhaul of the OS, so, it will not follow (and has not) previous patterns as this has not been done before.

Some of you can't seem to get this into your heads, you're so into this fantasy timeline based on past incremental update patterns.

It's not ready, still bugs and issues. I say beta 8 before the GM. IF, and I mean IF there is an Apple event September 10, that does not necessarily mean things will follow past patterns here either:
1) they are introducing 2 (count 'em TWO) new iPhones. (When has Apple done this before?).
I say if it follows any pattern it'll be like iPhone 4 release, three weeks out: October 4th for new iPhone deliveries. And I'm sticking with it.

It got a complete overhaul in terms of the UI, yes. But that doesn't necessarily make iOS 7 the biggest update. I would argue iOS 5 was bigger--notification center, iCloud integration, and PC-free were all big additions.

The September 10 event at this point is a given. Though I grant you it's completely possible we won't see the GM that day as usual. Instead, we could get it a week later if iPhones don't come till October 4. But I doubt it.

I think a more likely scenario is that the buggier iPad iOS 7 will be released in oct with the new iPads.

benji888
Aug 18, 2013, 01:14 AM
It got a complete overhaul in terms of the UI, yes. But that doesn't necessarily make iOS 7 the biggest update. I would argue iOS 5 was bigger--notification center, iCloud integration, and PC-free were all big additions.

The September 10 event at this point is a given. Though I grant you it's completely possible we won't see the GM that day as usual. Instead, we could get it a week later if iPhones don't come till October 4. But I doubt it.

I think a more likely scenario is that the buggier iPad iOS 7 will be released in oct with the new iPads.

I disagree, iOS 7 is totally different, not just the entire UI, functionality as well, and I notice it with my iPhone 5. A lot of things work differently, including multitasking, Maps changes, including yelp integration (wish it was foursquare instead:p), notifications, iCloud keychain, siri improvements (much faster, great sounding voices), addition of iTunes Radio to Music (which also has been overhauled), much more changed than iOS 5. (Are you using iOS 7?)

I could be wrong on my dates, but I will be surprised if we see new iPhones before October. I also don't think the predictions of Sept. 10th are a "given" as people seem to think, but, based on old info. & previous patterns. I don't think anyone at Apple has leaked anything, especially not after the dev. center being down and slowing the process.

mirzank
Aug 18, 2013, 01:35 AM
feel finished to me. ofcourse there is still some roughness around the edges, but i've been using ios 7 since beta 1 as a daily driver, and with beta 4/5/6 i really couldn't tell it was beta any more. only thing beta about 4 was skype didnt work. not that i used it that much but it was something to remind one that its a beta.

but once skype got fixed, the only thing that broke post beta 4 with my iphone 4s is whatsapp push notifications stopped working. they work for everything else. just not whatsapp. so thats a bit of a mystery. if it wasnt for this minor issue it really does seem done to me.

I'm sure they'll use whatever time and betas remain to polish out the inconsistencies, the small minor bugs, etc. I can see it easily getting done soon.

Also keep in mind that ios 7 is a huge redesign and undertaking. lots of already established things to fix. its not like previous ios updates where sure under the hood things changed but the overall feel of the os didn't.

So i'm sure we will still see some visual inconsistencies and things to complain about after gm. those will get polished up with successive update i'm sure.

Cougarcat
Aug 18, 2013, 06:37 AM
I disagree, iOS 7 is totally different, not just the entire UI, functionality as well, and I notice it with my iPhone 5. A lot of things work differently, including multitasking, Maps changes, including yelp integration (wish it was foursquare instead:p), notifications, iCloud keychain, siri improvements (much faster, great sounding voices), addition of iTunes Radio to Music (which also has been overhauled), much more changed than iOS 5. (Are you using iOS 7?)

I could be wrong on my dates, but I will be surprised if we see new iPhones before October. I also don't think the predictions of Sept. 10th are a "given" as people seem to think, but, based on old info. & previous patterns. I don't think anyone at Apple has leaked anything, especially not after the dev. center being down and slowing the process.

Yes, I'm using iOS 7. I think you're underestimating the under-the- hood changes required in iOS 5 to make it PC free. It was a big undertaking. Both OSes have about the same number of new APIs for developers.

The sept. 10 date is a given because Jim Dalrymple confirmed it. That's basically Apple unofficially confirming it.

jafingi
Aug 18, 2013, 06:59 AM
It feels pretty solid, but there are still a few things stability and UI wise that needs to be fixed.

I reported a bug in beta 2 that still have not been fixed.

However, I think we could see the next version as a GM.

bushido
Aug 18, 2013, 07:48 AM
keyboard in the weather app is not transparent on my iPhone 5 / it should be the dark keyboard like on spotlight in this case anyway (i reported it).

http://i40.tinypic.com/2h68znl.png

ErikGrim
Aug 18, 2013, 07:59 AM

6. Widgets
8. Quick reply for SMS

Got to love them jailbreakers… :rolleyes:

----------

The media syncing / storing bugs that have persisted throughout the betas and gotten worse with iTunes 11 betas are far too huge and pervasive to warrant any positive outlook on the beta progression towards a Sept 10 release.

utsavtalwar
Aug 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
It seems pretty much ready for release IMO just really really hope they would bring back those flat buttons for the phone app and the thin font

veneto
Aug 18, 2013, 08:19 AM
I don't think iOS 7 will be done. They might want to just delay it now.

Tyler23
Aug 18, 2013, 08:35 AM
I don't think iOS 7 will be done. They might want to just delay it now.

It's very close, one more beta then GM, it'll be done.

mcfly88
Aug 18, 2013, 09:09 AM
Animations are still lagging a bit and the music app needs a lot of work!

Bswartz95
Aug 18, 2013, 09:52 AM
Messages crashing immediately after opening which requires a reboot.

Definitely needs more work.

This is the biggest problem that remains for me. Random message threads crashing and then having to reboot to open them. Ugh.

jonnyb098
Aug 18, 2013, 10:19 AM

Apparently you haven't been reading much news. The September 10 event has been confirmed by All Things D which Apple constantly leaks to as they were the journalists Steve trusted the most. They have an insanely accurate track record.

Second while this is a very large update. It's not a complete overhaul. It's till a grid of icons and many apps function much the same with a new coat of white paint. Once again, many articles have stated that Apple pulled engineers from the Mac team to work on iOS to keep things on track. Your claim of a October release is bogus. Since a lot of companies are having media events in early September,Apple wil hose them as usual stealing the spotlight. October releases will be new iPads as iOS 7 is behind on the iPads and it makes perfect sense to release it with those devices in October.

benji888
Aug 18, 2013, 12:16 PM
keyboard in the weather app is not transparent on my iPhone 5 / it should be the dark keyboard like on spotlight in this case anyway (i reported it).

http://i40.tinypic.com/2h68znl.png

that's what mine looks like too.

My safari is dark (translucent) w/light progress bar instead of blue. It started off white w/blue (I started at beta 2). Not sure if this changed when fiddling with accessibility settings to see what they do or when I went from beta 2 to 3, but, been the same since. If it's going to be dark, I'd like to have color in the progress bar!

I hope they offer choices to the translucent look: white/dark/colors ...it would make sense to have colors with color iPhones/ipods, but they might just have white with color accents that match the color of idevice. :confused:

Jeanloup
Aug 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
My only problem with the iPhone and bκta 6 is battery life. However it is very glitchy on my iPad 3. There's a lot of UI problems like the calendar icon showing the icon of another app or the keyboard not showing.

benji888
Aug 18, 2013, 12:36 PM
Apparently you haven't been reading much news. ... Your claim of a October release is bogus....

I read lots of news, but, they are going by a pre-planned idealistic schedule idea made up in June, not new "leaked" information (I posted it for you to see). The Sept. 10th people said beta 6 would come the following week, hours after this announcement, there's beta 6. I don't care if it was a quick fix, there it is. Dev center downtime, that delays things also.

You say "large update" I say "complete overhaul", in any case, it IS the biggest change for iOS since the iPhone (Apple even says so)...this combined with the fact they are releasing TWO (2) new iPhones...want iOS 7 to be right and not have negative stuff they did with iOS 6 because of Maps...AND..iOS 7 is being more integrated with OS X Mavericks...with all of that in mind...whatever timeline they've used before will not be used here.

whenever it is announced, they will not have 2 iPhones available the following week. Maybe 5S in two weeks, 5C in three, but, no way in one week, this is not happening as fast as everyone thinks/wants. I don't care who says what. reliable. source. bogus. iPads will come later (mid-late October probably).

Apple may announce in timing to "steal the show", but the products will not be available as soon as you all think. ...If I am wrong about Oct 4th, then Sept 27th at earliest, no sooner.

lazybump91
Aug 18, 2013, 12:57 PM
hey guys, how do you differentiate your battery is fully charged on ios beta 6? My "electric" icon doesn't shine/flashing anymore. I can't differentiate whether the batt is fully charged or not

stooovie
Aug 18, 2013, 01:03 PM
Still buggy and glitchy on the iPad (4 in my case).

marvz
Aug 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
I read lots of news, but, they are going by a pre-planned idealistic schedule idea made up in June, not new "leaked" information (I posted it for you to see). The Sept. 10th people said beta 6 would come the following week, hours after this announcement, there's beta 6. I don't care if it was a quick fix, there it is. Dev center downtime, that delays things also.

[...]

whenever it is announced, they will not have 2 iPhones available the following week. Maybe 5S in two weeks, 5C in three, but, no way in one week, this is not happening as fast as everyone thinks/wants. I don't care who says what. reliable. source. bogus. iPads will come later (mid-late October probably).

Apple may announce in timing to "steal the show", but the products will not be available as soon as you all think. ...If I am wrong about Oct 4th, then Sept 27th at earliest, no sooner.

The Sept. 10th is given. Jim Dalrymple was always right.
And about your release date. I've heard because of the financial quarter ending on the very end of Sept. and Apple didn't released any new product in this quarter and they said in the fall, there is only a short one-week timeframe to release new products if they don't wanna a "bad" last (financial) quarter of 2013.

jonnyb098
Aug 18, 2013, 04:29 PM

You say "large update" I say "complete overhaul", in any case, it IS the biggest change for iOS since the iPhone (Apple even says so)...this combined with the fact they are releasing TWO (2) new iPhones...want iOS 7 to be right and not have negative stuff they did with iOS 6 because of Maps...AND..iOS 7 is being more integrated with OS X Mavericks...with all of that in mind...whatever timeline they've used before will not be used here.

Seriously apple is becoming very very transparent. For the past couple years there is very very little that is a shock during apple announcements. Everything leaks out. Not all is correct but nothing is a surprise. We will soon know the shipping details of all the phones within a couple weeks. It always leaks and this year will be no different.

Also during the analyst call they said we will talk next quarter in regards to profit questions. The final quarter is over after September. Your October prediction and late September prediction is just wrong it will be the following week.

sik08amg
Aug 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Are they going to make the dock more transparent cause the one they show at the keynotes looks a lot better than it is right now

Check your contrast under accessibility. Minimal difference but it probably depends on your background.

knoxtown
Aug 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
A couple things I've noticed recently...

1. iTunes (on the iphone) crashes upon opening a lot.
2. The camera (stock camera app) is very delayed when taking a photo.

AaronMT
Aug 18, 2013, 05:17 PM
I've filed about two dozen reports over this beta program and none have been triaged yet. I am a sole beta tester out of hundreds in the internal program testing and I am quite frankly worried at this point in the number of issues related and how close to release target they are heading.

jhfenton
Aug 18, 2013, 10:47 PM
No, to the original question. The iPod Touch/iPhone version is reasonably close overall, but as AaronMT said, there are quite a number of bugs still not fixed. I have a few reported myself that are still open. The Music app in particular is loaded with bugs. For one egregious example, just try "Download All" on a playlist. There are several bugs in that functionality. I'm still battling my iPod Touch 5th gen to download my main 2,772-song playlist after I wiped it yesterday to update to Beta 6 and run the cloud music and videos reset. If anything, it's worse than under Beta 4, where they added that functionality back. (It was missing in Beta 3 and earlier, and I didn't try it under Beta 5 because I just OTA'd it and kept the music library.)

And the iPad version is way, way behind the iPod Touch/iPhone version. There are still major cosmetic and crashing bugs.

John

sb22
Aug 19, 2013, 10:00 AM
Nope, I still find things crashing, I had a bug yesterday (while in the Aplle Store no less) where the flash light came on and wouldnt go off without a reboot.

benji888
Aug 19, 2013, 12:48 PM
A couple things I've noticed recently...

1. iTunes (on the iphone) crashes upon opening a lot.
2. The camera (stock camera app) is very delayed when taking a photo.

what iPhone? I don't know about iTunes, use it more on my computer than in my phone, but, my iPhone 5 (A1428/AT&T), the camera is faster at taking photos.

...maybe try deleting all apps from the multitasking carousel, power cycle your phone and see if that makes a difference. ...I've notice that more than one power cycle can clear things up with beta iOS, something I learned when I jailbroke an old iphone.

MadRed
Aug 19, 2013, 01:36 PM
beta 6 crashes for me in 2 scenarios:
1. While editing contact and clicking on linked accounts at the bottom.
2. While charging with Bluetooth connection established, switching to second call crashes the phone.

So, for those who have same or other issues it would be nice to have Apple address them. However, it's totally up to Apple. They can just call this GM and release it, and then a month or two later provide iOS 7.1 update to take are of those bugs.

In short: "NOBODY KNOWS, BUT APPLE"

zeromarquee
Aug 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
No any issues?
I just noticed this as well on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 beta 5. I had a panoramic wallpaper active before I upgraded to beta 5 and it still worked after the upgrade but when I tried to set a different panoramic wallpaper it wouldn't move when I moved my phone. I could still scroll the image and set a wallpaper from any part of the panoramic image but I can't see any way to activate scrolling wallpapers. I hope this is just a bug.

macpro2000
Aug 19, 2013, 09:54 PM
Still has some bugs, but light years better than beta 1...not even close.

dictoresno
Aug 19, 2013, 10:32 PM
I thought emails, name icloud, are supposed to sync across devices. If I get an email and check it on my iPhone, my iPad still shows one u read until I open the email app. Wasn't this supposed to be am iOS 7 feature?

zeromarquee
Aug 20, 2013, 04:13 AM
Still has some bugs, but light years better than beta 1...not even close.

agree

BlankStar
Aug 20, 2013, 04:28 AM
Still some things that need to be fixed, smoothed and added.

I love the new travel time feature in the new calendar of Mavericks, but iOS7 doesn't support it. Yet.
Same for adding smart locations in the calendar. Although, iOS7 supports the ones added into the calendar with OS X 10.9

But it's coming along well, still 22 days till the iPhone 5S event, so plenty of time left to polish this beauty of an OS.

balcis
Aug 20, 2013, 05:04 AM
there are several bugs;

first of all when lock screen is on and starts to dim, you can not wake the screen up by a touch, it should be.

when you close more than one apps by swiping up, it sends the preview up but the icon stays there.

and yet some things that i don't remember.

jafingi
Aug 20, 2013, 06:58 AM
It feels overall finished, but there are some annoying UI bugs around.

For example in the Reminders app:

You can have multiple "More - Delete" open when swiping, and then changing list:
http://i.imgur.com/O8rjqbY.png

Video can be seen here: http://cl.ly/3H0p1N3D0z2N

+ I experienced a weird UI bug that I cannot reproduce:

http://i.imgur.com/JOyEyRM.png
http://i.imgur.com/BhJMJWB.png

There are more like these many placed in the UI throughout the system.

So I suggest you all to submit all bugs found to bugreport.apple.com so we can get this thing polished!