PDA

View Full Version : Why .dmg Beta download?

MBX
Aug 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hey there

The Betas used to be up as original installation packages in the Dev center. But ever since like Beta 4 they put it up as .dmg's.

Slightly annoying as the download is 1.2GB and then you have to copy the package out of the dmg container in order to manually update it as I do.

Wish they wouldn't do that and revert back to straight installation packages downloads.

Peace
Aug 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
As far as I know they have always been in .dmg files.

Cougarcat
Aug 16, 2013, 10:03 AM
.dmgs need to die.

outie2k
Aug 16, 2013, 10:04 AM
If you were getting beta w/o dmg, you weren't getting them from dev center.

MBX
Aug 16, 2013, 10:37 AM
If you were getting beta w/o dmg, you weren't getting them from dev center.

Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear Beta3 was not in a .dmg. Or was I dreaming?

jmmo20
Aug 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
dmgs are preferred because you can do a checksum before using the ipcc file. I actually had a scare quite a while ago with a corrupted IPSW file..

gwang73
Aug 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
Slightly annoying as the download is 1.2GB and then you have to copy the package out of the dmg container in order to manually update it as I do.

Why don't you just manually update directly from the dmg? It mounts like an external drive so there's no need to copy the package out of the dmg.

C DM
Aug 16, 2013, 11:32 AM
Perhaps similar reasons as to why pretty much any software installation on a Mac comes as a .dmg file?

DDustiNN
Aug 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
Why don't you just manually update directly from the dmg? It mounts like an external drive so there's no need to copy the package out of the dmg.

Yeah, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. I've never had to "copy" the ipsw out of the .dmg file.

Daveoc64
Aug 16, 2013, 03:03 PM
Apple used to distribute the updates as a .zip for Windows users.

You could access the download by just changing the extension of the link for the .dmg version to .zip.

macdim
Aug 16, 2013, 03:13 PM
I just use 7zip to extract the ipsw from the DMG on Windows.