Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New photos of the rumored gold iPhone 5S have been published by the French site MacBoutic (via iPhon.fr). Similar images have appeared before and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has offered accurate information on Apple's upcoming product plans numerous times, said yesterday the 5S would be available in gold.

goldiphone.jpg
Alleged gold iPhone 5S shell from MacBoutic
Several days ago, BGR shared different images suggesting the color will be more subtle, calling it 'Champagne' and providing its own images of the volume and mute switches. Japanese blog Mac Otakara reported separately earlier this week that the iPhone 5S would have a gold option.

NewImage3.png
'Champagne' parts from BGR
Oddly, MacBoutic claims they "deliberately blurred the "Apple" logo and the words "iPhone" on the back of the chassis", though there are no traces in the image of such blurring. It's possible that this is a preproduction sample and that sort of lettering was missing entirely, or possibly a knockoff part not manufactured for Apple.

The new iPhone is expected to be announced at a media event on September 10th.

Update: Rene Ritchie of iMore, who has had accurate sources in the past, echoes these rumors.
There are a bunch of rumors and speculation making the rounds about Apple adding gold to the color options for the upcoming iPhone 5S. I've heard the same thing, but probably from different sources.

Article Link: New Photos of Gold/Champagne iPhone 5S Parts Leak

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Finally, an iPhone with the same color tone as pennies! Well, weird looking pennies…

bxbw1Pv.png

Last edited:

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Seriously how much does "KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has offered accurate information on Apple's upcoming product plans numerous times" pay macrumors to advertise his business?

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I kinda want to get it in gold. I just thought I'd let you all know. In case you were wondering.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Does it look "gold" to you on the inside? I would think the anodizing dip would cover all the aluminum.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not buying this leak. Gold just doesn't fit the Apple aesthetic, especially the new iOS7 look.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Haha. Well I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's hard to judge exactly which color it is though. All leaks seem to show different hues, I guess depending on lighting. The more light and champagne-ish it is, the better.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
That looks like a photoshop. The color does not appear to match other part leaks.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
This has the same aesthetic appeal as someone deciding to spraypaint their Bentley.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.