PDA

View Full Version : the oculas - what on earth is it?

satans_banjo
Nov 18, 2005, 05:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-OCULAS-G5-Genuine-Auction-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ8721249836QQcategoryZ4607QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

can anyone fill me in about this?

MacTruck
Nov 18, 2005, 05:57 PM
Hmm... A game room?

Counterfit
Nov 18, 2005, 06:13 PM
I wonder which cost more, the seat/room, or the iMac in it...

Makosuke
Nov 18, 2005, 08:45 PM
I think the auction explains it pretty well; it's basically a funny little plastic chamber with a comfortable seat, a nice sound system, and an iMac inside. It'd be a weird way to use a computer, but probably neat for at least a little while.

It's based on something from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and a few were built as a promo for the recent movie version. After the movie ran its course, they sold or gave away most (all?) of them, and obviously for whatever reason this one made its way to eBay. If you were a big fan (with a big house) or just into weird toys like that, it'd probably be fun to own.

SpaceMagic
Nov 18, 2005, 09:00 PM
This whole topic has already been on MacRumors 6 months ago. Look it up.

MacTruck
Nov 18, 2005, 11:29 PM

Too much work. :o

satans_banjo
Nov 19, 2005, 10:05 AM

i already searched for 'oculas' but there were no results. that's what the auction was calling it

katie ta achoo
Nov 19, 2005, 10:28 AM
Pft, it's not an iSight iMac?

/not gonna bid now
//was totally gonna bid before
///yeah, right

Danksi
Nov 19, 2005, 10:32 AM
I friend took a picture of one (the same one?) on a business trip earlier this year...

satans_banjo
Nov 19, 2005, 11:36 AM
looks similar, but the one in your photo doesn't have the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy branding on it

Counterfit
Dec 2, 2005, 12:56 AM
Pft, it's not an iSight iMac?

/not gonna bid now
//was totally gonna bid before
///yeah, right
Just replace it. It's probably mounted on a VESA arm. Buy a new one, take the old one off the arm. Remove the VESA adapter from the old one, and install it on the new one. Then put the new iMac on the arm, put the old one on the stand (which hopefully came with it) and sell/donate it.

tag
Dec 2, 2005, 01:09 AM
Ok thats a weird setup. Has anyone here ever watched the show Mutant-X? Rember that computer chair they used in their base/headquarters? Now that was pretty cool. Here I found a pic of it, you can actually buy these from a company in Europe. And hey, it even has an apple setup in there! Think its a powermac. :D

sk3pt1c
Dec 3, 2005, 04:53 AM
www.theoculas.com

this is the website

it's an english designer that made it

it costs around 20.000 pounds

and it's not an imac

it's just a flat panel

the oculas can accomodate a tv, pc or mac, xbox or ps all in the same capsule
the seat can massage you and there is a surround sound system and as far as i know once you get in it should be sound proof
so all that equipment and only one plug for the wall outlet, pretty cool huh?
i'd buy it if i could afford it :)

Counterfit
Dec 3, 2005, 08:38 PM
and it's not an imac

it's just a flat panel
The one on eBay has an iMac, see? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8721249836&indexURL=4#ebayphotohosting)

crazysaxchris
Dec 3, 2005, 09:14 PM
hasn't there been a thread about this??

Counterfit
Dec 3, 2005, 09:36 PM
As far as I know, this is the thread on it. :confused:

Meyvn
Dec 3, 2005, 10:31 PM
Just replace it. It's probably mounted on a VESA arm. Buy a new one, take the old one off the arm. Remove the VESA adapter from the old one, and install it on the new one. Then put the new iMac on the arm, put the old one on the stand (which hopefully came with it) and sell/donate it.

The new iMacs are not VESA compatible.

OutThere
Dec 3, 2005, 10:41 PM
Looks really special to me...so special that I might go buy a few sheets of plywood, a recliner, an iMac and a sound system and then call it the seam that holds together the junction between technology and luxury. :p

Danksi
Dec 3, 2005, 11:55 PM
Looks really special to me...so special that I might go buy a few sheets of plywood, a recliner, an iMac and a sound system and then call it the seam that holds together the junction between technology and luxury. :p

... don't forget the silver duct tape. :)

Counterfit
Dec 14, 2005, 02:41 PM
The new iMacs are not VESA compatible.
Ah poo, [/url]you're right[/url]. :(

Daedalus256
Dec 14, 2005, 08:37 PM
That looks incredibly badass. If I had money to throw away I would probably have to bid on it.