PDA

View Full Version : Lack of last name in texts is annoying and pointless

furam90
Aug 16, 2013, 08:27 PM
Why in gods name do they feel they have to remove the persons last name or last name initial in a text message?

As someone who has friends with common names like Mike, Tom, Kelly etc it's so damn annoying that sometimes I have to go through my messages to see who I'm texting. Just leave the god damn last name or last initial there!

Sure this is a minor issue, but was it really an aesthetic issue to have the last name there? What was the point in changing something that wasn't broken , but better?

The UI should be about displaying relevant information quickly. To me this is another example of Jonny Ive going overboard in his simplicity obsession and taking away from that. Just such a pointless and annoying change.

If you want to get rid of the name why not join the 21st century and let there be a picture of the contact in the Message UI?

skwood
Aug 16, 2013, 08:30 PM
This is an option you can easily change in Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Short Name

It's just in the later betas the default has been changed is all.

HeyKatie
Aug 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
This is an option you can easily change in Setting -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Short Name

Thanks! I had no idea about this :)

furam90
Aug 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
This is an option you can easily change in Setting -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Short Name

Thanks that was driving me insane!

skwood
Aug 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
No worries :)

Defender2010
Aug 17, 2013, 04:31 AM
Perhaps having a look in the settings app before mouthing off and saving us all from your insanity is a smart idea next time?

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 04:34 AM
Perhaps having a look in the settings app before mouthing off and saving us all from your insanity is a smart idea next time?

Why would someone look in Mail, Contacts & Calendar settings to change a text message setting?

LostSoul80
Aug 17, 2013, 04:36 AM

No, it's better to blame Apple and their inferior minds for being so stupid.

----------

Why would someone look in Mail, Contacts & Calendar settings to change a text message setting?

Because it's related to contacts? :confused:

canterbury55
Aug 17, 2013, 04:37 AM
ive got a macbookm and mac i installed crossover and tried downloading esignal on both my mac and macbook but it wont download and come up with runtime error and doesnt download :-( i would be very grateful if someone could help :)

orpheus1120
Aug 17, 2013, 04:37 AM

Because anything that concerns names falls under Contacts that's why.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 04:38 AM
Because it's related to contacts? :confused:

No it isn't.

Mail, Contacts & Calendar

Every one of the above things is an app in its' own right. I wouldn't necessarily think to look in that part of the settings unless I wanted to change something to do with one of those three apps.

That short name option would make more sense in general!

LostSoul80
Aug 17, 2013, 04:42 AM
No it isn't.

Mail, Contacts & Calendar

Every one of the above things is an app in its' own right. I wouldn't necessarily think to look in that part of the settings unless I wanted to change something to do with one of those three apps.

That short name option would make more sense in general!

Any application that uses contacts goes through Contacts.
There is an unique place where they get stored and managed, and that is within Contacts. Makes sense to have contacts related options in the Contacts section.
:confused:

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 04:44 AM
Any application that uses contacts goes through Contacts.
There is an unique place where they get stored and managed, and that is within Contacts. Makes sense to have contacts related options in the Contacts section.
:confused:

Short names isn't really a contacts option though, it's a display option. All it does it change how names are displayed.

Defender2010
Aug 17, 2013, 04:55 AM

ummm,,,,contacts? Perhaps?

haydn!
Aug 17, 2013, 05:20 AM
No wonder Apple consumers have a reputation for arrogance.

Regardless of where the setting is, the thread starter raised a concern about something where the fix wasn't necessarily obvious.

So maybe, drop the attitude towards them?

Parise
Aug 17, 2013, 06:54 AM
No wonder Apple consumers have a reputation for arrogance.

Regardless of where the setting is, the thread starter raised a concern about something where the fix wasn't necessarily obvious.

So maybe, drop the attitude towards them?

This is why many hate this community.

This is not a "contacts" option considering my contacts app still shows full name even after selecting short name. This is a messages contact display option. Guess what? So does my mail app!

It's fun to watch how some of you would defend this company to the death.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 07:07 AM
Because anything that concerns names falls under Contacts that's why.

I beg to differ.

The option doesn't change how contacts are displayed in the contacts app - only throughout the rest of the OS. It's more like an anti-contact option than a contact option.

It should be in general.

ummm,,,,contacts? Perhaps?

Thanks for clearing that up, your contribution is invaluable :rolleyes:

Tammster
Aug 17, 2013, 07:07 AM
It's fun to watch how some of you would defend this company to the death.

I personally think the attitudes in the responses directly relate to the extremely negative attitude of the original poster. That same question could have been asked in many different more pleasant ways.

profets
Aug 17, 2013, 07:15 AM
I love the option. If you don't just turn it off.

Honestly it's not that big of a deal even. I have the option on, and you still see full names in Messages until you go into the specific conversation.

haydn!
Aug 17, 2013, 07:33 AM
I personally think the attitudes in the responses directly relate to the extremely negative attitude of the original poster. That same question could have been asked in many different more pleasant ways.

I disagree. It wasn't posted as a question, it was a statement. A rant at Apple, about something they believed could not be resolved by the flick of setting. The responses, with the exception of the one that kindly pointed out it could be fixed, talked down to the poster like they were some second rate citizen.

mfldmike
Aug 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
I'm glad it was brought up...just not a fan of the way it was. The issue would've bugged me too but the approach was very hostile.

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
I beg to differ.

The option doesn't change how contacts are displayed in the contacts app - only throughout the rest of the OS. It's more like an anti-contact option than a contact option.

It should be in general.

Lol. You are trying so hard. An "anti-contact option."

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
I don't know why everyone's saying my OP was rude or hostile. Maybe a little irritated but I didn't insult anybody or call other people names. I said something is annoying (which it is) and all hell breaks lose. Some of you need to take a look in the mirror. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly.

I think the setting should be in messages rather than mail and contacts, that is pretty confusing.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 07:50 AM
Lol. You are trying so hard. An "anti-contact option."

You know it makes sense ;)

aimee.elizabeth
Aug 17, 2013, 08:45 AM
I don't know why everyone's saying my OP was rude or hostile. Maybe a little irritated but I didn't insult anybody or call other people names. I said something is annoying (which it is) and all hell breaks lose. Some of you need to take a look in the mirror. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly.

I think the setting should be in messages rather than mail and contacts, that is pretty confusing.

Just like your so called "fanboys" are so willing to defend Apple, people like you are always so willing to jump on the bandwagon to criticize Apple, and in your OP you even attacked Jony Ive personally and you presumed that it was a change that was instated. So you could have come on MR and asked if there was a way to fix this or an option to toggle this, but instead you presumed that you are smarter than Apple and Jony Ive and went on a rant based on your incorrect presumptions. People would have gladly helped if you were humble and asked the question instead of turning a simple oversight into a mistake on Apple's part.

So no, I think you're the one that needs to look in the mirror, because if I had posted earlier, I would not have been courteous either. Anyways I'm glad your problem is resolved. :)

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 08:48 AM
Just like your so called "fanboys" are so willing to defend Apple, people like you are always so willing to jump on the bandwagon to criticize Apple, and in your OP you even attacked Jony Ive personally and you presumed that it was a change that was instated. So you could have come on MR and asked if there was a way to fix this or an option to toggle this, but instead you presumed that you are smarter than Apple and Jony Ive and went on a rant based on your incorrect presumptions. People would have gladly helped if you were humble and asked the question instead of turning a simple oversight into a mistake on Apple's part.

So no, I think you're the one that needs to look in the mirror, because if I had posted earlier, I would not have been courteous either. Anyways I'm glad your problem is resolved. :)

Some criticism is still deserved IMO, for two reasons; 1) this setting appears to be on by default and 2) the location of the setting isn't intuitive.

SakuraSuki
Aug 17, 2013, 08:51 AM

How do you know his presumption is incorrect? And in which way that people cannot criticize Apple? You guys criticizing Android, bashing Microsoft, joking About BlackBerry all the time, yet you guys cannot handle slightly criticism or any presumption at all?

aimee.elizabeth
Aug 17, 2013, 08:55 AM
Some criticism is still deserved IMO, for two reasons; 1) this setting appears to be on by default and 2) the location of the setting isn't intuitive.

Sure I agree that it's not as intuitive as it's supposed to be, because when the change was made in previous betas I was not aware of the location of the toggle either until I looked around a bit. But these criticisms are based on mostly facts, as opposed to OP's rant. And if these are that bothersome, you can start another thread to discuss them properly. :)

----------

How do you know his presumption is incorrect? And in which way that people cannot criticize Apple? You guys criticizing Android, bashing Microsoft, joking About BlackBerry all the time, yet you guys cannot handle slightly criticism or any presumption at all?

..? Because it was incorrect? He assumed that Apple or Jony Ives took out the display options for last names, and it's clearly incorrect. I don't care that people criticize Apple if the criticisms are based on more than one person's incorrect assumptions or their personal wants and needs. There are many things that one can criticize about ios 7.

And yeah I'm sure people over at Microsoft/Andriod forums criticize and bash Apple too, what's your point?

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 08:59 AM

What's with all the reaches and presumptions? I never said I was smarter than apple or Johnny Ive nor did I attack him personally simply by saying I think he went overboard with simplicity (he did). Also I never used the word "fanboys" in my post so I don't know why you falsely quoted that.

As for people being glad to help... they did. In the first post after mine. Yet others still found the need to fire breath and go on a crusade to protect apple. This is a beta iOS discussion forum, not an arm of apple PR.

aimee.elizabeth
Aug 17, 2013, 09:05 AM
What's with all the reaches and presumptions? I never said I was smarter than apple or Johnny Ive nor did I attack him personally simply by saying I think he went overboard with simplicity (he did). Also I never used the word "fanboys" in my post so I don't know why you falsely quoted that.

As for people being glad to help... they did. In the first post after mine. Yet others still found the need to fire breath and go on a crusade to protect apple. This is a beta iOS discussion forum, not an arm of apple PR.

No you never stated that but you behaved like it, if you can go read your post and not glean from that you sound like you know what you're talking about, then I don't even know what to say. I didn't misquote you, I don't like the word fanboys so I put it in quotes.

And if you'd bother to look around this forum you'd realize that the many of the threads are criticisms. And there are some criticism that are grounded, legitimate, and deserve to be talked about. But your angry rant base off of your irritation and ignorance isn't a worthy criticism, in fact it's not a criticism at all, because it's not a real problem.

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 09:12 AM
No you never stated that but you behaved like it, Please cite examples of your assertation of me personally attacking Jonny Ive and saying I'm smarter than apple. Thanks

if you can go read your post and not glean from that you sound like you know what you're talking about, then I don't even know what to say. I didn't misquote you, I don't like the word fanboys so I put it in quotes. Ok and no where in my first two original posts did I use the word fanboys or anything related to it in context. Again please provide examples.

And if you'd bother to look around this forum you'd realize that the many of the threads are criticisms. And there are some criticism that are grounded, legitimate, and deserve to be talked about. But your angry rant base off of your irritation and ignorance isn't a worthy criticism, in fact it's not a criticism at all, because it's not a real problem.

My angry rant where I used a grand total of 1 exclamation point... ok. And yes it is a real problem, because they changed something that wasn't broken and then hid it in settings unrelated to the messaging app. What was the point?

Claefer
Aug 17, 2013, 09:14 AM
It makes sense that Greg Christie and team, not Jony Ive, put short names in Contacts because that's where Messages, Mail, Phone, etc., pulls users' info from. For me, it was the first place I looked.

SakuraSuki
Aug 17, 2013, 09:20 AM
Sure I agree that it's not as intuitive as it's supposed to be, because when the change was made in previous betas I was not aware of the location of the toggle either until I looked around a bit. But these criticisms are based on mostly facts, as opposed to OP's rant. And if these are that bothersome, you can start another thread to discuss them properly. :)

----------

..? Because it was incorrect? He assumed that Apple or Jony Ives took out the display options for last names, and it's clearly incorrect. I don't care that people criticize Apple if the criticisms are based on more than one person's incorrect assumptions or their personal wants and needs. There are many things that one can criticize about ios 7.

And yeah I'm sure people over at Microsoft/Andriod forums criticize and bash Apple too, what's your point?

Nobody knows for sure what Jony Ives think. Certainly we do see over simplified OS and that made his statement somewhat correct.

My point is that you guys should not pissed off if someone criticizing Apple even if he/she based on wrong information, because people here do that a lot when bashing Microsoft, Android using wrong information as well.

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 09:25 AM

1) Not everybody dislikes it. 2) It's perfectly intuitive. You go to contacts settings to change the way your contacts appear.

aimee.elizabeth
Aug 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
Please cite examples of your assertation of me personally attacking Jonny Ive and saying I'm smarter than apple. Thanks

Ok and no where in my first two original posts did I use the word fanboys or anything related to it in context. Again please provide examples.

My angry rant where I used a grand total of 1 exclamation point... ok. And yes it is a real problem, because they changed something that wasn't broken and then hid it in settings unrelated to the messaging app. What was the point?

Lol. I'm not going to repeat myself 10x if you can't get it through to your head. And the misquote thing, I already said I wasn't quoting you... I used the word that I THOUGHT TO USE ON MY OWN, and put quotes around it, how hard is that to understand... And Christ you went on a 3 paragraph RANT, yes that's what it was, about something you didn't know about. And the only thing they have changed is the default option, the option to change display names has been there a long time. So I'm not sure how they hid it. Because it's all right there, only if you bothered to look. All in all, there is no way you can justify a rant based on your own ignorance. And this conversation is over, I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 09:28 AM
1) Not everybody dislikes it. 2) It's perfectly intuitive. You go to contacts settings to change the way your contacts appear.

It's not intuitive at all. First off the contacts appear normal in the contacts app by default- even when they are short in messages, so it doesn't make sense that you would have to change short name in contacts setting to affect the display of a name in messages.

nikicampos
Aug 17, 2013, 09:31 AM

See, even though my previous reply was erased, I wasn't the only one that thought you were rude, if you ask for something in a good way you'll get a good answer, when you make a negative attitude statement, well, you get negative comments and create a thread that will probably get someone suspended when a simple question could've resolved this in 5 min.

SakuraSuki
Aug 17, 2013, 09:31 AM

When someone has issue with one particular app, they go to setting for that app? Isn't that what normally people do? If it is perfect intuitive, then the confusion won't be there. At least it seems to me that OP isn't the only one who get confused

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 09:37 AM
See, even though my previous reply was erased, I wasn't the only one that thought you were rude, if you ask for something in a good way you'll get a good answer, when you make a negative attitude statement, well, you get negative comments and create a thread that will probably get someone suspended when a simple question could've resolved this in 5 min.

It was literally resolved in the first post after my own. But not we are having a discussion on why it is in the contacts settings .

----------

Lol. I'm not going to repeat myself 10x if you can't get it through to your head. And the misquote thing, I already said I wasn't quoting you... I used the word that I THOUGHT TO USE ON MY OWN, and put quotes around it, how hard is that to understand... Umm you said:

Just like your so called "fanboys" Implying usage by me. Thats generally what the word your means in the English language.

And Christ you went on a 3 paragraph RANT, yes that's what it was, about something you didn't know about. Oh wow three whole paragraphs,it took me about a minute less to write than it took me to read your current caps filled rant.

And the only thing they have changed is the default option, the option to change display names has been there a long time. So I'm not sure how they hid it. Because it's all right there, only if you bothered to look. All in all, there is no way you can justify a rant based on your own ignorance. And this conversation is over, I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Well I've never seen it. Maybe they should put the option in messages instead of Mail, Contacts and Calendars. It makes more sense.

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 09:39 AM
When someone has issue with one particular app, they go to setting for that app? Isn't that what normally people do? If it is perfect intuitive, then the confusion won't be there. At least it seems to me that OP isn't the only one who get confused

Except it's not for one particular app. It affects multiple apps, the OP just noticed it in the messaging app. It's perfectly intuitive to go to contact settings to edit contact settings.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 09:40 AM

The way contacts appear in the messages app (or mail app), but not the contacts app.

It is a setting that only vaguely relates to contacts at all. It's more of a display option, or a messages/mail option.

aimee.elizabeth
Aug 17, 2013, 09:41 AM
It was literally resolved in the first post after my own. But not we are having a discussion on why it is in the contacts settings .

----------

Umm you said:

Implying usage by me. Thats generally what the word your means in the English language.

Oh wow three whole paragraphs,it took me about a minute less to write than it took me to read your current caps filled rant.

Well I've never seen it. Maybe they should put the option in messages instead of Mail, Contacts and Calendars. It makes more sense.

Yes your is the 2nd person possessive, but in English there is no differentiation between the singular and plural, so you assumed that I was talking about you directly when I was using the general plural possessive.

And you know what? It would've taken even less than that to just ask "how do I turn off short names in messages?"

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 09:47 AM
Yes your is the 2nd person possessive, but in English there is no differentiation between the singular and plural, so you assumed that I was talking about you directly when I was using the general plural possessive. Right

And you know what? It would've taken even less than that to just ask "how do I turn off short names in messages?"

I already had attempted to turn it off by going through the Message settings and finding a way.

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 09:47 AM
The way contacts appear in the messages app (or mail app), but not the contacts app.

It is a setting that only vaguely relates to contacts at all. It's more of a display option, or a messages/mail option.

That's not what the setting is for. The setting is there for the entire OS, not just the messaging app. It specifically says, and I quote, "Short names are sometimes used to fit more names on the screen." Anything about that statement exclusive to messaging? No? Then the setting should not be in the messaging app, because that would unintuitive.

Reach9
Aug 17, 2013, 09:50 AM
This forum is filled with people with inflated egos.

The OP did come off somewhat as a rant, because he was irritated. Especially since this is a system wide redesign of an OS that people have been used to for so long, you have to cut some people some slack for getting annoyed.

The question was answered, the thread is done.

It's not necessary for people to post condescending answers after it was already answered.

Literally the discussion should have been like this:

1. OP's post
2. Someone replied with an answer to OP's problem
3. OP thanks the poster

Done.

There's no need for people to come an say (I'm paraphrasing) "how did you not know where the settings for that was?" And to tell the OP how he should have asked the question.
We've seen anti-Apple posts, this wasn't one of them.

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 09:51 AM
That's not what the setting is for. The setting is there for the entire OS, not just the messaging app. It specifically says, and I quote, "Short names are sometimes used to fit more names on the screen." Anything about that statement exclusive to messaging? No? Then the setting should not be in the messaging app, because that would unintuitive.

Serious question: where else in the OS is the shortform name displayed besides Messaging?

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 10:00 AM
Serious question: where else in the OS is the shortform name displayed besides Messaging? I don't know. It's not exclusive to the messaging app though, it affects the entire OS. The OS is still in beta, and more uses of the short name may be seen by the time public release. I also haven't seen multiple names a lot. It may show up in the airdrop menu, who knows. The point is, the setting is fine where it is as it affects the entire OS and not just messaging.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 10:00 AM

Where else is it used? Can third party apps use it? If so, then clearly it wouldn't make sense to put it in messages.. it should be in general or some kind of display area.

It's something that changes the display.. it's not really anything to do with contacts.

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 10:05 AM
Where else is it used? Can third party apps use it? If so, then clearly it wouldn't make sense to put it in messages.. it should be in general or some kind of display area.

It's something that changes the display.. it's not really anything to do with contacts.

It is only related to contacts. It is the setting of how your CONTACTS are displayed. I'm sure the OP appreciates you attempting to defend his frustration, but your position makes no sense. I would never think to look in general settings for a setting for the display of my contacts.

As for if third parties can use it, go ask them. Apple can use it though.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
It is only related to contacts. It is the setting of how your CONTACTS are displayed. I'm sure the OP appreciates you attempting to defend his frustration, but your position makes no sense. I would never think to look in general settings for a setting for the display of my contacts.

As for if third parties can use it, go ask them. Apple can use it though.

Options that change the way things are displayed are best left to a 'display' section of the options.

This could house the short names option, the battery % option, etc.

It's an option more relevant to 'display' than 'contacts' - it doesn't change the contacts in any way, shape or form, it just changes how they are 'displayed' throughout the OS. It is purely a GUI option.

Gogurt48
Aug 17, 2013, 10:14 AM
Options that change the way things are displayed are best left to a 'display' section of the options.

It's an option more relevant to 'display' than 'contacts' - it doesn't change the contacts in any way, shape or form, it just changes how they are 'displayed' throughout the OS. It is purely a GUI option.

That makes sense. I guess I can see why Apple put that option where they did, but I don't think I would have thought to look there.

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 10:16 AM

It's an option more relevant to 'display' than 'contacts' - it doesn't change the contacts in any way, shape or form, it just changes how they are 'displayed' throughout the OS. It is purely a GUI option. There is also an option to change how the contacts are sorted, which changes the order in which they are displayed on the screen. By your logic, that too should be moved. This of course would make the contacts section empty.....The accessibility section has settings for the size of font, changing how text is displayed on the screen. I suppose that should be moved to general as well. Notification center settings changes what kind of notifications are displayed on the screen. It doesn't change the content of the notifications in any way, just the manner in which they are displayed. Those should be moved then right?

Summary: You're not making any sense. By your logic, everything that remotely affects the GUI (Read: Everything) should be in general, or in some new setting called GUI.

furam90
Aug 17, 2013, 10:19 AM

Yeah it doesn't make sense. It's in contacts but has zero effect on how the contacts themselves are displayedin the app itself.

"Short names are sometimes used to fit more names on screen" doesn't really cut it, especially if its in the section its in. You would think it would shorten the actual contact in the app.

Maybe an option to customize where and if not, put the option in things it changes... like messages. Because as of now thats the only thing it changes.

matttye
Aug 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
There is also an option to change how the contacts are sorted, which changes the order in which they are displayed on the screen. By your logic, that too should be moved. This of course would make the contacts section empty.....The accessibility section has settings for the size of font, changing how text is displayed on the screen. I suppose that should be moved to general as well. Notification center settings changes what kind of notifications are displayed on the screen. It doesn't change the content of the notifications in any way, just the manner in which they are displayed. Those should be moved then right?

Summary: You're not making any sense. By your logic, everything that remotely affects the GUI (Read: Everything) should be in general, or in some new setting called GUI.

That doesn't change the display, it changes the sort order. I don't think you're getting the premise of my suggestion. Displaying short names so as to fit more names in changes the display. Sorting the names a different way doesn't change the display, it just changes the order.

Accessibility section should be duplicated if a display section is added, so that you can see all accessibility options in the usual place, and the ones only related to display in display > accessibility.

nikicampos
Aug 17, 2013, 10:59 AM

No, there's not even a "Display" setting in iPhone, by your logic then everything should go into "Display" settings, almost everything changes the display, usually, the "display" menu/submenu/setting is meant for "Screen" as in resolution/brightness/wallpaper.

Gutwrench
Aug 17, 2013, 11:52 AM
It seems some people are thinking like programmers while others are thinking like users

cmChimera
Aug 17, 2013, 12:37 PM
That doesn't change the display, it changes the sort order. I don't think you're getting the premise of my suggestion. Displaying short names so as to fit more names in changes the display. Sorting the names a different way doesn't change the display, it just changes the order.

Accessibility section should be duplicated if a display section is added, so that you can see all accessibility options in the usual place, and the ones only related to display in display > accessibility.

What you are describing is nonsensical and extremely unintuitive.