PDA

View Full Version : iBook Res Limit

WaxTheories
Nov 18, 2005, 10:02 PM
Is there a hack to increase the resolution on my 12" iBook?

Yeah.. not much more to say... lol

Xephian
Nov 18, 2005, 11:00 PM
No, that's not possible.

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 02:10 AM
Yes, use the screen mirror hack and plug in an external screen.:p

WaxTheories
Nov 19, 2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, that's what I've been told before. Thought I'd ask anyways.

Is it a limitation in the hardware or just a switch in OSX itself (like the screen spanning doctor)?

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 07:42 AM
LCD's have a limit to what resolution they can display.

TodVader
Nov 19, 2005, 10:00 AM
I know this isint like changing the resolution but you can make everything smaller! (Text, Icons, Dock, Everything!) that will simulate to a point a resolution increase.

mkrishnan
Nov 19, 2005, 11:40 AM
Buy another powerbook and duct tape it to the side of your powerbook. :D

As for your second question...what causes the limitation. Are you familiar with the basic way an LCD screen works? The number of pixels is fixed. This is true of every LCD from every manufacturer used on every kind of device, as far as I know. You can display lower resolutions than the number of hardware pixels, and it will map these resolutions onto the screen, but you can't go higher.

So the only way for a powerbook to have a higher internal LCD resolution than it has now is to put a different screen in it.

This is also true for non-Apple notebook computers and desktop LCD screens.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 19, 2005, 12:56 PM
If there was a hack to increase the iBook's resolution, I think Apple would be singing and dancing about the fact, as it would be a major selling point! :p Like the others have said, the max resolution is fixed by the number of LCD pixels. Certainly wishful thinking though. :)

WaxTheories
Nov 20, 2005, 11:41 AM
I know this isint like changing the resolution but you can make everything smaller! (Text, Icons, Dock, Everything!) that will simulate to a point a resolution increase.

How about... the menu bar? :D