PDA

View Full Version : Help! New Powerbook User!

nicole786
Nov 18, 2005, 10:05 PM
Hi guys,

i recently "switched" from a PC to a PowerBook after much consideration. Now, i'm pretty savvy with computers including macs because i've done my research, but im having a proble that i don't know is fixable:

I have 3 PC's in my house. A desktop and 2 laptops. The desktop computer that is located in the office is connected to a linksys wireless router that lets the 2 laptops (and also my new powerbook) access the internet. If i stay in the office with my powerbook than i have a semi-great connection (3 out of the 4 airport bars) but if i move into the living room, my connection becomes unstable switching back and forth from one airport bar to two airport bars. However, the 2 PC laptops have an "excellent" connection. Any ideas? What gives? is it fixable? is there something that i did wrong?

thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.

-Nicole

RBMaraman
Nov 18, 2005, 10:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with your PowerBook. It's a well known fact the Airport reception on the PowerBook's is not very good. It probably has something to do with the metal case.

I recently switched from an iBook to a PowerBook. Right now, the PowerBook is showing 2 bars of Airport signal, and the iBook has 4. Both machines are sitting right next to each other.

YunusEmre
Nov 18, 2005, 10:27 PM
I've had problems with my wireless network once in a while. Playing with the position of the antenna on the router helps sometimes. Also I noticed that using the microwave owen means my wireless is going to be really bad unless I am in the same room with the router. Do you have other wireless equipment? You may also have a lot of other wireless networks near by that may interfere. Anyhow sorry I cannot offer any specific answer.

shwc
Nov 18, 2005, 11:27 PM
There is a skeleton in every closet. You found the powerbooks. Lousy wireless reception. I use an airport express (wireless router) in my living room to boost the signal coming from my main airport (wireless router hooked to internet). You might wish to look into the possibilities of doing the same. I am not sure if airport express can boost/relay your linksys signal. Somebody must know, however.

loktin
Nov 19, 2005, 11:52 PM
Another thing is that the reception varies even within the same powerbook models. I have two new powerbooks (rev.E) sitting side by side and no matter how I switch their positions, one gets disconnected continuously and the other gets 2 bars. Weird.

fklehman
Nov 20, 2005, 12:26 AM
Metal PowerBooks DO get lousy reception. My Pismo gets fantastic reception, but then it's only 802.11a; what can you do. You could add a second router as a bridge to extend the range of your network. If you have a 2.4 gHz phone you're gonna be stepping on your network all the time as well. I don't know if it really affects the internet, but I know that the phone is often affected by my AEBS. If I'm on the phone in the same room I get a rapid blipping noise unless I switch channels, and I eventually had to get a 5.8 gHz phone to avoid the conflict.

generik
Nov 20, 2005, 12:58 AM
There is a skeleton in every closet. You found the powerbooks. Lousy wireless reception. I use an airport express (wireless router) in my living room to boost the signal coming from my main airport (wireless router hooked to internet). You might wish to look into the possibilities of doing the same. I am not sure if airport express can boost/relay your linksys signal. Somebody must know, however.

Just to add to the skeleton you mentioned:

1) Lousy wireless reception
2) Horizontal lines on display (15" PB)
3) USB ports not having enough juice
4) Audio looping issues
5) Occassional flickering screen.

Does makes you wonder why you didn't just buy a Dell right? :rolleyes:

Morn
Nov 20, 2005, 08:44 AM
:confused: Wow, they put an antenna under metal. Heh, perhaps they should consider using the case as the antenna :P

bigandy
Nov 20, 2005, 09:35 AM
you see those two plastic strips near the top of the display on the sides? they're for BT and AirPort..

i've never had a single problem with my PB that could be down to Apple. not one.

quit your complaining :p ;)