PDA

View Full Version : The iOS 8 Speculation Thread

SJism23
Aug 17, 2013, 11:20 PM
Some would say it's early, but considering that we've already seen everything there is to see in iOS 7, I'd say that it's a good time to start speculating about the future of Apple with iOS 8. Besides, it's never too early to speculate. ;)

This past year, Apple's team has been hard at work with redesigning iOS. As a result, big changes to the way iOS works didn't happen. Since iOS 8 will already have a visual framework to work off of, the focus this next year, I think, will be on what we do with and how we do these things with iOS 8. Of course there will be some visual changes.

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes

App-to-App Communication: apps will be able to work together; the current closed, sandboxed system will be freed up with new APIs.
Filesystem: Yes, Apple doesn't want a FS for iOS due to its "steep learning curve," but I'm not talking about a legacy approach. I'm thinking of a repository of documents that can be accessed system-wide. This is exactly how photos are accessed by different apps. With the document repository, I imagine basic FS features will exist, like folders (much like we see in iCloud). Imagine: no need to email or "Open in…" documents between apps, which creates multiple documents everywhere.

Major Features

Offline and Improved Siri: we’ll be able to do basic things like opening apps without an Internet connection. Maybe offline diction, too. Siri will be become much smarter and faster with an overhaul in how voice input is analyzed; it'll be like Google Now where the voice input doesn't have to be sent all together after it's said. By smarter, I mean that Siri will be able to do more things (no, not simply adding the Worldwide Ping Pong Championship scores to Siri :p). (Any ideas as to what these things could be, please share.)
3rd Party Siri APIs: we can use Siri to do specific things in other apps, like adding todos in the Things app (instead of relying on the Reminders app) or asking Siri to download articles from Zite to Instapaper.
Offline Maps: we'll be able to cache specific cities or regions (maybe even whole countries). Off course, this will require a lot of storage space.
Better Personal Data Interaction: I imagine that iOS 8 will use a lot of data from its users to personalize information to them, kind of like how iOS 7 tells users about traffic conditions to their place of work and the new smart multitasking updates apps in the background based on app usage. It’ll get quite personal! I'm thinking of Google Now and the new Moto X phone with all it's sensors.

Visual Changes
I won't get into this since I like iOS 7's refreshed UI and don't absolutely loathe the new icons. Of course, visual tweaks may occur in the following betas and/or 7.x releases.

So if you guys have anything to add or speculate about, or even to refute some of my ideas, go right ahead!

jav6454
Aug 17, 2013, 11:24 PM
Dear God no... this thread has been reported.

iPhone OS 7 isn't even out. What's with people and trying to have that "one thread with multiple pages"

SakuraSuki
Aug 18, 2013, 12:00 AM
Some would say it's early, but considering that we've already seen everything there is to see in iOS 7, I'd say that it's a good time to start speculating about the future of Apple with iOS 8. Besides, it's never too early to speculate. ;)

This past year, Apple's team has been hard at work with redesigning iOS. As a result, big changes to the way iOS works didn't happen. Since iOS 8 will already have a visual framework to work off of, the focus this next year, I think, will be on what we do with and how we do these things with iOS 8. Of course there will be some visual changes.

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes

App-to-App Communication: apps will be able to work together; the current closed, sandboxed system will be freed up with new APIs.
Filesystem: Yes, Apple doesn't want a FS for iOS due to its "steep learning curve," but I'm not talking about a legacy approach. I'm thinking of a repository of documents that can be accessed system-wide. This is exactly how photos are accessed by different apps. With the document repository, I imagine basic FS features will exist, like folders (much like we see in iCloud). Imagine: no need to email or "Open in…" documents between apps, which creates multiple documents everywhere.

Major Features

Offline and Improved Siri: we’ll be able to do basic things like opening apps without an Internet connection. Maybe offline diction, too. Siri will be become much smarter and faster with an overhaul in how voice input is analyzed; it'll be like Google Now where the voice input doesn't have to be sent all together after it's said. By smarter, I mean that Siri will be able to do more things (no, not simply adding the Worldwide Ping Pong Championship scores to Siri :p). (Any ideas as to what these things could be, please share.)
3rd Party Siri APIs: we can use Siri to do specific things in other apps, like adding todos in the Things app (instead of relying on the Reminders app) or asking Siri to download articles from Zite to Instapaper.
Offline Maps: we'll be able to cache specific cities or regions (maybe even whole countries). Off course, this will require a lot of storage space.
Better Personal Data Interaction: I imagine that iOS 8 will use a lot of data from its users to personalize information to them, kind of like how iOS 7 tells users about traffic conditions to their place of work and the new smart multitasking updates apps in the background based on app usage. It’ll get quite personal! I'm thinking of Google Now and the new Moto X phone with all it's sensors.

Visual Changes
I won't get into this since I like iOS 7's refreshed UI and don't absolutely loathe the new icons. Of course, visual tweaks may occur in the following betas and/or 7.x releases.

So if you guys have anything to add or speculate about, or even to refute some of my ideas, go right ahead!

People will tell you just switch to Android.... I have countless arguments with people here over app to app communication and file system. It seems majority people here hate the idea of file system. So there goes file system.

----------

iPhone OS 7 isn't even out. What's with people and trying to have that "one thread with multiple pages"

iOS 7 will be like current beta, it won't change much. Nothing major will change from this point and it is kind unrealistic to hope major changes at this point of time, what younger now is what you get, beside bug fixes.

Black Magic
Aug 18, 2013, 12:19 AM
A folder like photos where you can save certain files too. Only Office type files to keep it simple. Emailing attachments and stuff from your iPad would be easy then. I imagine that could happen.

aimee.elizabeth
Aug 18, 2013, 12:27 AM
The only things I really want is some kind of a file managing system like the one you proposed, and quick reply would be nice as well.

mcdj
Aug 18, 2013, 12:37 AM

Reported? Oh relax Nancy.

Austin M.
Aug 18, 2013, 12:49 AM

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes

Major Features

Visual Changes

It will be a full year. Hold your horses there buckaroo.

WhackyNinja
Aug 18, 2013, 01:47 AM
And so it begins...

Shadyriley
Aug 18, 2013, 03:13 AM
Select multiple apps at once while putting them into a folder

Group FaceTime

Visual Voicemail 2 (voicemail transcribed into text)

Quick Reply for iMessage and Facebook

The ability to have certain setting automatically turn on or off, depending on your location, location based settings..( for example when I get to work my phone turns it's self on silent, and when I leave it goes back)

Widgets...Swipe left on home screen to reveal

Droidrage729
Aug 18, 2013, 03:20 AM
I would expect for them to add minor features and improvements. Save the ground breaking stuff for ios 10. As it is ios 7 is awesome I can't think of anything I need to add to it.

ritmomundo
Aug 18, 2013, 03:26 AM
I want to see location based setting changes (turn off wifi when I leave my house, turn off my passcode when I'm home, dim my screen and turn off my ringer when I'm at the movie theater, etc.)

ritmomundo
Aug 19, 2013, 12:50 PM
This thread has been brought back from the wasteland. Since we already know all that iOS 7 has/will have to offer (even though it hasn't been released officially), the mods have agreed its fine for us to begin speculating about iOS 8.

Thanks stridemat.

HenryJobs
Aug 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
New icons
Quick reply
NFC support in passbook
New color scheme - dial it back a little
Widgets, maybe where spotlight used to be
Customizable control center

Hopefully ios 8 will focus much more on the ipad, as it got the short end of the stick because of the quick turnaround for ios 7.

I want to see apps that are more ipad specific, not just blown up versions of iphone apps.
Also on ipad, splitscreen w/ multiple apps! Maybe you could swipe two apps down at once in multitasking to enter split screen.
The iPad needs more poweruser features like this to keep its control of the tablet market

haydn!
Aug 19, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm fairly certain, especially with some of the earlier versions of iOS, Apple introduced some new features and big changes with point releases, so I wouldn't say we've seen everything iOS7 has to offer just yet.

adildacoolset
Aug 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
For me, Siri is just as good– if not better– than google now in responsiveness and accuracy.

SJism23
Aug 19, 2013, 01:09 PM
For me, Siri is just as good– if not better– than google now in responsiveness and accuracy.

Are you using it on the iOS 7 beta? Is it a big improvement over iOS 6's Siri?

adildacoolset
Aug 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
Are you using it on the iOS 7 beta? Is it a big improvement over iOS 6's Siri?

Yep. It's a very big improvement.

- A nice new interface that's very neat and pleasant to use.
- Good responsiveness and accuracy. Noticeably better. It's only slower than now when it has to pull data from wikipedia or wolfram alpha.
- New voices are also very good.
- Although you can toggle settings, it's just better to use control centre for that.

----------

A file system is a bad idea. If they can improve communication (in a way that's done better than android), then there's no need for a file system.

SakuraSuki
Aug 19, 2013, 01:32 PM

Well, you reported, this thread went to wasteland, then came back. Cycle of life always amazed me.

Applefan 2013
Aug 19, 2013, 02:31 PM
How about wondering what iOS 47 will be like?
----------
This thread should not have come up until at LEAST Mid-March of next year

gmanist1000
Aug 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
I would really love a way to set priority over Wi-Fi connections.

With multiple networks in my house, it's a must!

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 02:56 PM
Ooh, iOS 8. How about this.

•Integrate QR codes into the camera app.

•Make Passbook more like CardStar.

•Make Siri integrate with Apple TV.

maflynn
Aug 19, 2013, 03:23 PM
[MOD NOTE]
If you're not interested in speculating about what iOS8 could be, then don't post in the thread.

LostSoul80
Aug 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
File system access seems like a great feature that should have been added since iOS 2.

matttye
Aug 19, 2013, 03:35 PM
A global sharing system.

If Apple doesn't want to trouble users with a fully fledged file system, they could at least implement a decent sharing system.

Every app can register as a file sharer and a file receiver for certain file types. You could import files from any app which shares that type of file, or export files into any app which receives that type of file.

SJism23
Aug 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
Every app can register as a file sharer and a file receiver for certain file types. You could import files from any app which shares that type of file, or export files into any app which receives that type of file.

This would also be great for setting default applications to use, kind of like how it's done on the Mac with specific file types. However, I doubt Apple would add the ability to set defaults, even in iOS 8.

Chazz08
Aug 19, 2013, 03:49 PM
I would expect for them to add minor features and improvements. Save the ground breaking stuff for ios 10. As it is ios 7 is awesome I can't think of anything I need to add to it.

I can. They can add quick reply. I love iOS 7, but there's still some enhancements they can make. :) It would be AWESOME to see bluetooth transfers with other devices. I didn't realize how useful this is until I moved to the Middle East a year and a half ago. Everyone is always sharing videos and pictures with each other (and not movies, just videos they made on trips or outings), but even with Airdrop it won't help. Most people here have Android devices. :(

SakuraSuki
Aug 19, 2013, 04:49 PM
File system access seems like a great feature that should have been added since iOS 2.

This. File System is definitely need for god's sake. I still cannot understand why would people rather want hard way to operate than a easy way

rrares1996
Aug 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
Oauhh:(, the ios 8 thread was my idea in another post but just so you know, I was...mhhh...how do you say...ohh... SARCASTIC!!!!!

C DM
Aug 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
Oauhh:(, the ios 8 thread was my idea in another post but just so you know, I was...mhhh...how do you say...ohh... SARCASTIC!!!!!Yes...this "idea" unfortunately has been predicted by various people before (e.g., http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17740695#post17740695). :rolleyes:

bp1000
Aug 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
New icons

Runs

Hides

WhackyNinja
Aug 19, 2013, 05:36 PM
Yes...this "idea" unfortunately has been predicted by various people before (e.g., http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17740695#post17740695). :rolleyes:

Im surprised the thread was made this early and not on the release date.

So Close..

C DM
Aug 19, 2013, 05:40 PM
Im surprised the thread was made this early and not on the release date.

So Close..I wouldn't be surprised if there are even some from earlier this year if not even last year (that haven't been posted in for some time or perhaps ended up in Wasteland).

WhackyNinja
Aug 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are even some from earlier this year if not even last year (that haven't been posted in for some time or perhaps ended up in Wasteland).

I doubt it. The hype for iOS 7 was too big people forgot about iOS 8 til now.

Osullivan1
Aug 19, 2013, 07:28 PM
A proper file system will never happen because... well, Apple.

Offline Siri and Maps won't happen until 32GB is the base model of iPhone/iPodTch as it would use up 100/mb's of space (maybe even GB's).

Otherwise I agree with you on all at least in part.

Joseph H
Aug 19, 2013, 08:29 PM
Quick reply (from Notifications) + Quick Actions API for developers

Dark theme (can replace default or in low light only)

Homescreen widgets (max 2x2 size in icon grid)

Silent Siri (type queries)

VoiceTime (HD FaceTime audio used automatically for calls like iMessage)

Scrapbook (replaces Notes, also launches for Mac, allows clipping of webpages and images as well text notes, Evernote rival)

Finder App (shows all files within apps on system, Open In facilities, tagging synced to OS X, remote access to Mac files)

AirDrop to Mac (send files to and from Macs as well as iOS devices)

iCloud Photos (view all your photos on all your devices with 50GB free space)

App-specific orientation lock (enable rotation on selected apps, i.e. Safari)

Security enabled apps (require fingerprint/passcode unlock for certain apps with sensitive data like Mail, Messages, developers can add to their own apps, optional)

Up Next in Music (brings the play queue from iTunes 11 to iOS, syncs queue across devices, auto mix using iTunes Radio)

Remote merged into Music (control Mac or iPad's music from your iPhone, switch playback between devices (i.e. "Continue playing here" on Mac from iPad)

Guest Mode (configurable guest mode which provides options for vanilla versions of apps like Safari, restricts access to apps like messages)

Camera and Photos improvements (line and circular depth of field in editor like Instagram, clarity slider, new filters, edits sync across all devices including OS X, brightness/contract sliders, photos and edits sync across devices, improved PhotoStream)

New Mail app (snooze Mail that needs action at some point, Junk Mail filtering)

Nagging Reminders (never forget to tick a reminder off again with an adjustable snooze option and persistent alerts for Reminders)

Natural language input in Calendar ("Lunch at 2 for an hour with Julie at McDonalds" and Calendar does the rest)

Self-destructing iMessages (direct swipe at Snapchat, iMessages can self-destruct after 3, 5 or 10 seconds if sender desires, users notified of screenshotting)

Would do me nicely.

Decbaux
Aug 19, 2013, 08:37 PM
I think there will be a huge and complete push towards gestures for navigation.
If they do decide to increase size of the screen for something like iphone 6, it makes sense to be able to move around between screens without having to reach the top or bottom corner to hit the 'back' button.

byke
Aug 20, 2013, 03:37 AM
I predict that apple will be licking its wounds for ios 8 and looking to bring back more ios 6 layouts but passing it off as ios 8 new retro ..... Blackberry got to os 10 before looking to sell the company.

BlankStar
Aug 20, 2013, 04:37 AM
I think iOS10 will be called iOS X and will be for the Mac aswel. And it will have a feature that your iPhone 6 can make your macbook pro run so hot you can bake some eggs on it, and the temp will be on the iPhone screen, all via NFC.

awesomeness!

"it's never too early to speculate".

/sigh

sk1wbw
Aug 20, 2013, 07:04 AM

After using Android for two months, Siri is clearly the better system. So much easier to use and requires much less screen touching to use.

adildacoolset
Aug 20, 2013, 07:52 AM
After using Android for two months, Siri is clearly the better system. So much easier to use and requires much less screen touching to use.

Same here. It looks like the only thing people care about is being a few seconds faster. They seem to have forgot that siri has a broad spectrum of answers.

SakuraSuki
Aug 20, 2013, 02:40 PM

Same here. It looks like the only thing people care about is being a few seconds faster. They seem to have forgot that siri has a broad spectrum of answers.

Google Now can track your activities, tells you when should you go work, gives you bus direction, displays news you often read. For example, if i visit my workplace several times during the week, Google Now will remember this and tell me it is time to go work and display route information. Google Now also tracks your browsing activities, so it shows news you read most often. It also helps you tracking your shipping info.

Google now is way better than beta forever Siri. I cannot live without Google Now on my Nexus 4, but i rarely use Siri on iPhone.

sk1wbw
Aug 20, 2013, 03:00 PM
Google Now can track your activities, tells you when should you go work, gives you bus direction, displays news you often read. For example, if i visit my workplace several times during the week, Google Now will remember this and tell me it is time to go work and display route information. Google Now also tracks your browsing activities, so it shows news you read most often. It also helps you tracking your shipping info.

Google now is way better than beta forever Siri. I cannot live without Google Now on my Nexus 4, but i rarely use Siri on iPhone.

I know when I have to go to work.
I have a car.
I know routes to work.

Trust me, Siri does more without having to touch the screen. I've used both and have experience with both.

Sky Blue
Aug 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
Silent Siri (type queries)

It's called google.com

WhackyNinja
Aug 20, 2013, 03:14 PM
It's called google.com

But Apple now uses Bing ;)

betabeta
Aug 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
This brings to mind an interesting dream I had....was watching a movie late and feel asleep

In the dream I asked Jony if icons would change with the next major ios upgrade.

He said: New icons? where we're going we don't need icons..

He then said: look! and he held out his hand and in it was nothing..?

I said: where's the iPhone?

he said: exactly!

So when he said the icons and interface shouldn't get in the way, I think he meant it.

Either that or I watched BTTF just one too many times.

WhackyNinja
Aug 20, 2013, 05:18 PM
This brings to mind an interesting dream I had....was watching a movie late and feel asleep

In the dream I asked Jony if icons would change with the next major ios upgrade.

He said: New icons? where we're going we don't need icons..

He then said: look! and he held out his hand and in it was nothing..?

I said: where's the iPhone?

he said: exactly!

So when he said the icons and interface shouldn't get in the way, I think he meant it.

Either that or I watched BTTF just one too many times.

You had....a...dream....about iOS...

fullauto
Aug 20, 2013, 05:27 PM
I'd like to ask siri to turn the AC on at home if I'm at work, boil the jug when I've just woken up, turn the washing machine on and re-rinse the load I left sitting there all night by accident, call home for messages on my answering machine, adjust light settings, open the garage roller door, preheat the oven to 180 degrees.. Some sort of :apple:Home service that runs through ios, osx and the 'new' Apple TV. I know there are apps to do some of these things now, but it needs to be controlled from the OS through a central system / app / service.

Surely they could make some sort of wifi/Bluetooth adapter and team up with LG to make it happen.. They patented similar things in many categories to cover this sort of automation years ago... I don't know what's taking them so long..

Maybe they need to step beyond making computers and mobile devices.

uhaas
Aug 20, 2013, 06:42 PM
I predict that apple will be licking its wounds for ios 8 and looking to bring back more ios 6 layouts but passing it off as ios 8 new retro ..... Blackberry got to os 10 before looking to sell the company.

You mean an admittance like New Coke?

macxbone
Aug 20, 2013, 06:43 PM
new icons?

WhackyNinja
Aug 20, 2013, 06:45 PM
new icons?

Wouldn't be surprised if Ive tweaks the icons.

joejoejoe
Aug 20, 2013, 08:49 PM

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes

Major Features

Visual Changes

I've been ignoring this thread because I figured it'd be filled with nonsensical babble.

But these ideas are all good and likely IMO (other than offline maps).

Switchback666
Aug 21, 2013, 01:49 AM
For the love of god a proper auto-brightness :eek:

Zaid
Aug 21, 2013, 08:15 AM
The one thing I'd like to see, which hopefully isn't a pipe dream, is the ability to tag photos in the camera roll and then search for photos using tags.

In terms of tagging, I'm thinking hit a tag button and start typing with auto-complete suggestions based on previous tags or contacts. Also they could make the GPS tags serachable.(They're already using the meta data from GPS tags to do segmentation of the camera roll into events so i don't think it's impossible)

You could then use tags to create auto-updating live folders or streams and it would make finding photos in large camera rolls really easy as well. So I could create a folder which automatically includes a photo which is tagged with a member of my family or my bf or combine tags to create a folder of pics of me and the bf that are taken in London.

If they wanted to be really out there, any photos on the cloud could tag suggestions by looking for faces and comparing to previously tagged photos (much like they do in iPhoto)

Gogurt48
Aug 21, 2013, 08:26 AM
The one thing I'd like to see, which hopefully isn't a pipe dream, is the ability to tag photos in the camera roll and then search for photos using tags.

In terms of tagging, I'm thinking hit a tag button and start typing with auto-complete suggestions based on previous tags or contacts. Also they could make the GPS tags serachable.(They're already using the meta data from GPS tags to do segmentation of the camera roll into events so i don't think it's impossible)

You could then use tags to create auto-updating live folders or streams and it would make finding photos in large camera rolls really easy as well. So I could create a folder which automatically includes a photo which is tagged with a member of my family or my bf or combine tags to create a folder of pics of me and the bf that are taken in London.

If they wanted to be really out there, any photos on the cloud could tag suggestions by looking for faces and comparing to previously tagged photos (much like they do in iPhoto)

Excellent ideas. I hope they do something like that.

jutte64
Aug 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
What is everyone's obsession with Widgets? Am I the only one that thinks they are a bad idea? They usually look tacky, they get in the way, they use memory to stay up to date, they use extra data, and they effect the ever precious battery life of your phone.

So where is the up side to them? Is it really harder to just tap the icon and open the app then try to look at a little widget, which you are going to eventually tap and open the app anyway?

I guess I just don't get it with the Widgets. Isn't the notification center pretty much the same thing only better? It tells you when you should open an app because there is something there you need/should look at.

On to the topic of this post, quick reply is really the only thing left I would like to see. It will be the only reason I jailbreak, if/when it is available.

SJism23
Aug 21, 2013, 12:17 PM
What is everyone's obsession with Widgets? Am I the only one that thinks they are a bad idea? They usually look tacky, they get in the way, they use memory to stay up to date, they use extra data, and they effect the ever precious battery life of your phone.

So where is the up side to them? Is it really harder to just tap the icon and open the app then try to look at a little widget, which you are going to eventually tap and open the app anyway?

I guess I just don't get it with the Widgets. Isn't the notification center pretty much the same thing only better? It tells you when you should open an app because there is something there you need/should look at.

On to the topic of this post, quick reply is really the only thing left I would like to see. It will be the only reason I jailbreak, if/when it is available.

I agree with you about the widgets. That's why I didn't include it in my speculation because I don't think Apple intends to add widgets in iOS 8. I don't care for them either.

As for quick reply, I think Apple will add it in a 7.x update because they have it in Mavericks, so...

HenryJobs
Aug 21, 2013, 02:18 PM
Ooh, iOS 8. How about this.

•Integrate QR codes into the camera app.

That's a great idea.

Also, something i forgot to mention earlier, LIVE UPDATING ICONS
Developers could do a lot of great things with that

jutte64
Aug 22, 2013, 07:31 AM
I agree with you about the widgets. That's why I didn't include it in my speculation because I don't think Apple intends to add widgets in iOS 8. I don't care for them either.

As for quick reply, I think Apple will add it in a 7.x update because they have it in Mavericks, so...

I'm really hoping the quick reply is announced when the GM comes out and the new iPhone is announced. However, I also have a feeling that if that is the case they will make it only available on the new iPhones.. Although all else fails I hope you are right and it comes out in one of the dot releases.

Switchback666
Aug 24, 2013, 12:06 AM
I'm really hoping the quick reply is announced when the GM comes out and the new iPhone is announced. However, I also have a feeling that if that is the case they will make it only available on the new iPhones.. Although all else fails I hope you are right and it comes out in one of the dot releases.

If they add quickreply and only to the new iphone lol Apple is not getting my money anymore :) atleasr for phones and tablets, if they do something like that it will be the most disgusting move 💩

adildacoolset
Aug 24, 2013, 05:38 AM
My hope: Improved developer authentication for the betas. The idiots who don't know what they're signing up for will see the bugs, then cry on forums about it.

WhackyNinja
Aug 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
I would like for iOS 8 to add a little bit more of color to the UI

vigilant
Aug 24, 2013, 11:30 PM
My hope: Improved developer authentication for the betas. The idiots who don't know what they're signing up for will see the bugs, then cry on forums about it.

Right, crack down on people selling udid slots.

----------

The user interface will probably evolve and adapt much faster after iOS 7.

Think of how different the original iMac was compared to the FireWire based ones.

I'd expect more improvements in the Apis released in iOS 7. Things like trusted cross app communication and more customizations to the springboard and Control Center.

iOS 7 is an upgrade to us. I'd imagine to Ives, iOS 7 is more of a first step then an iterative upgrade.

----------

I would like for iOS 8 to add a little bit more of color to the UI

I think that depends on who's developing the apps you are using more then it depends on Apple.

I'd recommend going through the different WWDC sessions on the new UI, and what you can do it customize appearance.

The way to look at the new UI isn't how Apple has done it for their apps. What Apple did with their apps is their implementation of things. There appears to be a lot of control.

I'd expect third parties will run with it the same way they did with current pre-iOS 7 apps.

EricNau
Aug 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
MODERATOR NOTE

Please keep this thread on topic.

If you don't like the subject of this thread, post elsewhere. :)

benji888
Aug 25, 2013, 05:39 AM
... Filesystem: Yes, Apple doesn't want a FS for iOS due to its "steep learning curve," but I'm not talking about a legacy approach. I'm thinking of a repository of documents that can be accessed system-wide. This is exactly how photos are accessed by different apps. With the document repository, I imagine basic FS features will exist, like folders (much like we see in iCloud). Imagine: no need to email or "Open in…" documents between apps, which creates multiple documents everywhere.
[/LIST]...
This sounds great, needed!

I would really love a way to set priority over Wi-Fi connections.

With multiple networks in my house, it's a must!
Couldn't this be done easily with location services...set it to connect to wifi1 when you are on this end of house, then go to other end and set it to connect to wifi 2...but, in the middle, I guess it should go by signal strength? Is this what you mean? I don't see why this isn't already possible...iOS 7.1??
Quick reply (from Notifications)

AirDrop to Mac (send files to and from Macs as well as iOS devices)

iCloud Photos (view all your photos on all your devices with 50GB free space)

Up Next in Music (brings the play queue from iTunes 11 to iOS, syncs queue across devices, auto mix using iTunes Radio)

Remote merged into Music (control Mac or iPad's music from your iPhone, switch playback between devices (i.e. "Continue playing here" on Mac from iPad)
your iCloud Photos thing already works in iOS 7, as far as I know, not sure what you mean about the free space tho.

Quick reply should be by 7.1! :D (IMO) ...really, if not in 7, then Apple is too slow to add this!

AirDrop is already on Mac (since Lion), just need to enable it between iOS 7 & OS X, probably simply on the iOS 7 device...Macs already do this between each other...I was expecting this already, but, hopefully by GM...if not Apple is just being stupid/weird about it, and would have called it something else...so either GM or iOS 7.1?

I'd also like to see Up Next RIGHT NOW, lol...but, seriously, if not GM, iOS 7.1, it just should be there already ('been looking for this since I first put iOS 7 beta on)
Security enabled apps (require fingerprint/passcode unlock for certain apps with sensitive data like Mail, Messages, developers can add to their own apps, optional)

Guest Mode (configurable guest mode which provides options for vanilla versions of apps like Safari, restricts access to apps like messages)
These would be doable, IMO. Being realistic, yeah, Guest Mode probably not likely in iOS 7, but, should be there...at least for iPads. ...especially since, as they head on up to iOS 10/X...and OS XI/11, they will be more alike, if not merged. (If what I'm thinking in my head makes sense here...if not catch me on it).

If that's what you really think, then go get a blackberry or an iOS device that cannot be upgraded past iOS 6. ...After using iOS 7, anything older, looks just that: OLD. :p

TheRainKing
Aug 25, 2013, 05:57 AM

This is possible.

I expect iOS 7 will receive some kind of backlash and drive a few more people away from Apple products. If it happens on a large scale then Apple will definitely try to undo the damage in iOS 8. I wouldn't be surprised if iOS 8 has a different colour scheme and new icons.

tigertazz
Aug 25, 2013, 06:09 AM
It's been said before in this thread but I really want "up next" on the music player. Just because I select a new song doesn't mean I want it to start now. It can't take that much processor power to insert a song into the current playlist.

Ed91
Aug 25, 2013, 06:48 AM
As others have said:

1) A file library (a la photos library) would be awesome. Filesystems are problematic, but the problem was solved on the desktop with libraries a long time ago. iOS needs one badly, and anyone that's created multiple copies of a document by using "open in"; Or deleted an app that contained a file they needed; or drafted an email, only to wonder how to attach a PDF, and have to jump through hoops etc. will have realised this. It's pretty bad.

2) Small but simple: a separate folder in the photos.app for screenshots.

3) Expanded control centre with more / optional quick toggles. In my opinion the flashlight should move to the quick toggles up top (as it's a toggle, not an app) and be replaced with a settings icon, so you can quickly access the full system settings from CC. Whatever replaces it, it should be an actual app to fit the paradigm.

4) Clear out old programs from the switcher. I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. The task manager is not a launcher for programs you haven't opened in a month, and I see no reason for it to compile a list of every application I've ever opened but not explicitly removed from the list - a list that may be hundreds of apps long. It just encourages people to endlessly swipe through it in search of an app they could find in a few seconds via Spotlight or the home screen. Even just an option in Settings would be nice (Multitasking: Clear inactive apps after x days/weeks). Maybe that's just me.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of for now. iOS 7 is providing some awesome features, and really, I'd be happy if only the file library was removed from my list in iOS 8.

I'm almost wondering if we may get some extra features in a 7.x update though with features that weren't quite ready for primetime, or polished quite enough for release. Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

hakr100
Aug 25, 2013, 06:53 AM
Has IOS 8 been jailbroken yet?

:D

zbarvian
Aug 25, 2013, 06:58 AM
I think there's going to be a palpable disapproval to iOS 7. I'm not talking about the icons or general ugliness, I'm talking about how disorienting it can be. I'm pretty quick and have been using iOS for ages now, but occasionally the screens confound me. Everything is white with some sketched outlines or text. I foresee many people being put off by the new look for aesthetic and also usability reasons.

That is why in iOS 8 I think a redesign is in store for us again. They have an entire year this time to right many of the design wrongs they're committing with iOS 7. Hopefully that's enough.

SJism23
Aug 25, 2013, 07:45 AM
I think there's going to be a palpable disapproval to iOS 7. I'm not talking about the icons or general ugliness, I'm talking about how disorienting it can be. I'm pretty quick and have been using iOS for ages now, but occasionally the screens confound me. Everything is white with some sketched outlines or text. I foresee many people being put off by the new look for aesthetic and also usability reasons.

That is why in iOS 8 I think a redesign is in store for us again. They have an entire year this time to right many of the design wrongs they're committing with iOS 7. Hopefully that's enough.

I agree with you about some redesign to fix the oft-dissapproved changes, but I doubt that there will be disapproval from the masses. They'll adjust to it and some will like it while others will… live with it. I think the feedback on iOS 7 has been generally well received. I guess we'll have to wait till the public gets it to see what happens.

zbarvian
Aug 25, 2013, 07:57 AM
I agree with you about some redesign to fix the oft-dissapproved changes, but I doubt that there will be disapproval from the masses. They'll adjust to it and some will like it while others will… live with it. I think the feedback on iOS 7 has been generally well received. I guess we'll have to wait till the public gets it to see what happens.

I'm betting on a vocal minority that gets broadcasted by the tech sites. Most people might be fine with it, but that's not how it will be framed.

SJism23
Aug 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
I'm betting on a vocal minority that gets broadcasted by the tech sites. Most people might be fine with it, but that's not how it will be framed.

Can't say I disagree with you there. It happens every time.

SeenJeen
Aug 26, 2013, 08:16 AM
This. File System is definitely need for god's sake. I still cannot understand why would people rather want hard way to operate than a easy way

Yup, agreed. Going into an App where you downloaded a file to "Open In" another App is nonsensical.

The filesystem, for sake of ease of use, should be like "All My Files" in Mountain Lion's Finder, where everything is organized by filetype.

This is a no brainer.

iphonehype
Aug 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
I know a guy, who knows a guy, thats knows a guy who says iOS 8 will be able to read your mind. That take for innovation :apple:

ritmomundo
Aug 27, 2013, 03:03 AM
I'd like to see more features in Maps/GPS (alternate routes due to traffic, Siri being able to answer questions like "what is the speed limit here?," etc).

Also, multiple user profiles. For instance, my nephew frequently borrows my iphone to play games. A separate user profile would give him access to the games, but not to the apps or notifications for my emails/texts/social media/etc.

benji888
Aug 28, 2013, 12:26 AM
... Siri being able to answer questions like "what is the speed limit here?," etc)....

the GPS units that show the speed limit are not necessarily accurate...

...apple not likely to do this, unless they can have "live" info., otherwise, if you miss the speed limit change in a construction zone, Siri will likely tell you the regular posted speed, not today's speed limit due to construction....

I doubt construction speed limits are updated wherever highway speed limit info is kept. on each states DOT server.

BvizioN
Aug 28, 2013, 01:44 AM

I don't think quikck reply is something that would be limited to a hardware. And if there is no more betas coming, I don't think they will include it on GM. Maybe on the x betas, if not iOS 8.

jutte64
Aug 28, 2013, 07:18 AM
I don't think quikck reply is something that would be limited to a hardware. And if there is no more betas coming, I don't think they will include it on GM. Maybe on the x betas, if not iOS 8.

I say there is a very small chance it comes out on the GM, but a 7.x release I could see that happening.

kevpan815
Aug 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
In my opinion, this post got posted here way too early as IOS 8 won't even hit Beta until Next Year's WWDC, and won't be Released until sometime Next Year at or around the same time that the IPhone 6 is released. Moderators, Please Lock this Thread.

lamerica80
Aug 28, 2013, 07:32 AM
I cant believe nobody has mentioned hologram video calls yet!

L T
Aug 28, 2013, 07:36 AM
I'll tell you what I think for iOS 8 when I've had a chance to use iOS 7!

Some kind of multitasking would be good, being able to watch a YouTube video in one corner of the screen whilst still being able to browse Safari would be good

SJism23
Aug 28, 2013, 07:47 AM
In my opinion, this post got posted here way too early as IOS 8 won't even hit Beta until Next Year's WWDC, and won't be Released until sometime Next Year at or around the same time that the IPhone 6 is released. Moderators, Please Lock this Thread.

You're not the first to ask the mods close this thread. They initially moved this to the Wasteland, but moved it back the following day because this thread breaks no forum rules. Please refer to the Mod Note on post #63.

And honestly, I think one thread about the future of iOS shouldn't be getting your knickers in a knot when there are countless threads asking if the next beta will be released this Monday, or Tuesday, or next Monday, etc. Completely pointless threads in my opinion.

bbfc
Aug 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
I say there is a very small chance it comes out on the GM, but a 7.x release I could see that happening.

I can imagine it being on Apple's list of future features, but they tend to take their time over the implementation of things.

I bet they've been working on it but haven't figured out the best way to implement it. Apple's philosophy is to not introduce features for the sake of it, but when they are actually useful (and ready).

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/
We value utility above all else. We don’t add features simply because we can, because it’s technologically possible. We add features only when they’re truly useful. And we add them in a way that makes sense.

ritmomundo
Sep 4, 2013, 04:11 PM
I would like to see Siri integrate with Shazam (or have Apple-branded Shazam-like music recognition capabilities). "What song is this?"

WhackyNinja
Sep 4, 2013, 05:13 PM
I would like to see Siri integrate with Shazam (or have Apple-branded Shazam-like music recognition capabilities). "What song is this?"

SoundHound would be the best IMO. If that happens then the Fandroids will say "GOOGLE NOW ALREADY HAD THIS" etc etc etc

Rodster
Sep 4, 2013, 05:22 PM
Ooh ooh, new wallpaper !

http://gossipextra.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hoshack.jpg

ritmomundo
Sep 4, 2013, 06:33 PM
SoundHound would be the best IMO. If that happens then the Fandroids will say "GOOGLE NOW ALREADY HAD THIS" etc etc etc

SoundHound or Shazam. Either would be fine as long as that capability comes built into Siri. The fact that Google Now already has this feature is all the more reason Siri needs to keep up.

WhackyNinja
Sep 4, 2013, 08:03 PM
SoundHound or Shazam. Either would be fine as long as that capability comes built into Siri. The fact that Google Now already has this feature is all the more reason Siri needs to keep up.

Fandroids think that any progress what-so-ever on their competitor's part is in a way "copying" Android. But thats another discussion.

Tar Sniffer
Sep 4, 2013, 11:39 PM
Shadows need to return ASAP, just not as overused as iOS 6. Hopefully this is done in 7.1.

Additinal at-a-glance info in Notification Centre would be welcome. Eg. 7 day forecast, 7 day calander view, exchange rates, News updates on areas of interest (international news, tech or finance for instance).

woodynorman
Sep 5, 2013, 12:40 AM
Some kind of multitasking would be good, being able to watch a YouTube video in one corner of the screen whilst still being able to browse Safari would be good

How would you even see anything with a 4" screen? The video in the corner would have to be pretty tiny. Even on a 5 or 6" screen, that doesn't seem like something most people would want or need or use.

matttye
Sep 5, 2013, 01:57 AM
A proper file system will never happen because... well, Apple.

Apple also said 3.5" was the perfect screen size and, so far, they've only targeted the premium market, but look like they're going for mid-range with the iPhone 5C.

They have deviated from their normal path quite a bit lately, so it's not impossible that they'll one day implement a file system.

L T
Sep 6, 2013, 02:12 AM
How would you even see anything with a 4" screen? The video in the corner would have to be pretty tiny. Even on a 5 or 6" screen, that doesn't seem like something most people would want or need or use.

Sorry, was more thinking about iPad on this one. And I find it easy enough to watch the little screen in the corner of the Youtube app when searching for a new video

cambookpro
Sep 6, 2013, 09:23 AM
Apple also said 3.5" was the perfect screen size and, so far, they've only targeted the premium market, but look like they're going for mid-range with the iPhone 5C.

They have deviated from their normal path quite a bit lately, so it's not impossible that they'll one day implement a file system.

I think that OS X going the way of iOS's file system is much more likely than the other way round. 99% of iOS users don't want to mess around with a visible file system, and Apple generally don't cater to 1%.

jackal123uk
Sep 6, 2013, 09:50 AM
Yup, agreed. Going into an App where you downloaded a file to "Open In" another App is nonsensical.

How is that different to going into a "finder" type app and having to open the same "other app" for editing?

What I would rather have is a type of integrated remote access to my mac such that were I to download a file from an ios device (Safari or Mail for example) it gives to option to download direct to the mac. Then a notification is sent to the mac and if it's online the download starts immediately and all your files are waiting for you on your return.

hagr182
Sep 6, 2013, 10:02 AM
Visual refinements from iOS7, let´s face it, many of us here like the visuals, but they could use some tweaks.

Camera integration with instagram would be cool!

OHHH, here I call this is going to happen, MARK MY WORDS:
"Snappier Safari"

SJism23
Sep 6, 2013, 10:15 AM
How is that different to going into a "finder" type app and having to open the same "other app" for editing?

But the difference is that you create a new version of that file every time you open in another app. There is no centralized location to keep documents that all apps can easily access and save to.

SuperPolli
Sep 6, 2013, 05:14 PM
For iOS 8 My Wishlist is pretty short. I want the option for multiple users on all devices. That way a family can share an iPad like they share a desktop or a kid can have games on their parent's iPhone without the games being in the parent's way all the time. I'd also like the option for folders to have either a grid or a list of apps. That way if you had a folder with 20 or 30 apps it would show up as a list instead of several pages in a folder. I'm trying to get away from multiple pages when I use folders, so it's kind of frustrating to open a folder just to be presented with more pages.

That's pretty much it.

Zaid
Sep 9, 2013, 07:38 AM
Just thought of another thing i'd like to see in addition to taggable searchable photos.

Siri being able to read selected blocks of text back to you.

Say you're in 'reader' mode in Safari, and Siri could read the content to you.

Klosefabrinio
Sep 9, 2013, 07:58 AM
i'd like to see a better notification bar, this one is really bad
accurate apple maps app would also be cool

Todd B.
Sep 9, 2013, 08:26 AM
Honestly, I love iOS7 as it is so there's really not too much I would change but I would love them to bring Launchpad to iOS (the thing on the Mac where you can keep all your apps without having them on the desktop) and a 'sort by' = None on the home screens like on the Mac where you can move the icons around as you want.

I never understood them either - I usually always forget about the dashboard on my Mac even after I set them up. I just never remember them. Seems like a waste of time.

tripleg
Sep 9, 2013, 08:26 AM
Some form of UI customization so the user can choose if they want a more 3D look or a flat look.

BvizioN
Sep 9, 2013, 08:36 AM
What I would like to see on iOS 8 is private folders. There is many apps that I use and i want them to be descreet (for my own reasons) Ideally there should be a togle on the folder "Private ON/OFF" so when you turn it ON it places some sort of wallpaper on the folder, hiding the apps in it and it will ask for a passcode if you want to open it.

ritmomundo
Sep 9, 2013, 11:12 AM
Siri being able to read selected blocks of text back to you.

Say you're in 'reader' mode in Safari, and Siri could read the content to you.

You can do that now. Just select a block of text, and tap "Speak" to have Siri read it aloud.

You can also activate VoiceOver in Accessibilities if you want longer blocks of text (like books) read back to you.

The Phazer
Sep 9, 2013, 12:26 PM
I think that OS X going the way of iOS's file system is much more likely than the other way round. 99% of iOS users don't want to mess around with a visible file system, and Apple generally don't cater to 1%.

This is the same sort of bollocks people said about a camera with more than 1 megapixel in resolution, MMS, text messages to more than one person, bluetooth keyboard support and a background downloading API.

It was nonsense then and it is now.

Apple's attack on the file system has failed, and is now hurting them. They are going to have to do something about it.

brendu
Sep 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
Apple's attack on the file system has failed, and is now hurting them. They are going to have to do something about it.

I find this to be an odd statement. I follow apple pretty closely and while im not disagreeing with you, I don't really understand what your talking about... How is their file system (or lack thereof) in iOS hurting them at all? I know of hundreds of people with iPhones and not once - ever - has someone mentioned wishing they had a better file system, or even talking about one. Aside from a small but vocal number of "power" users I really don't see anyone caring about it.

I personally think it would be nice to have something similar to the dropbox app for use as a file system but I don't think it is a necessary thing they have to do something about.

Todd B.
Sep 10, 2013, 07:40 AM
This is the same sort of bollocks people said about a camera with more than 1 megapixel in resolution, MMS, text messages to more than one person, bluetooth keyboard support and a background downloading API.

It was nonsense then and it is now.

So, wait, they sell record amounts of iOS devices but they're "failing"?

You do realise that, aside from hardcore tech nerds, nobody cares about a file system, right?

syan48306
Sep 10, 2013, 08:38 AM
As mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing a group facetime feature. Though I don't see why it's a feature that would have to be pushed off to iOS8