Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Some would say it's early, but considering that we've already seen everything there is to see in iOS 7, I'd say that it's a good time to start speculating about the future of Apple with iOS 8. Besides, it's never too early to speculate. ;)

This past year, Apple's team has been hard at work with redesigning iOS. As a result, big changes to the way iOS works didn't happen. Since iOS 8 will already have a visual framework to work off of, the focus this next year, I think, will be on what we do with and how we do these things with iOS 8. Of course there will be some visual changes.

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes
  • App-to-App Communication: apps will be able to work together; the current closed, sandboxed system will be freed up with new APIs.
  • Filesystem: Yes, Apple doesn't want a FS for iOS due to its "steep learning curve," but I'm not talking about a legacy approach. I'm thinking of a repository of documents that can be accessed system-wide. This is exactly how photos are accessed by different apps. With the document repository, I imagine basic FS features will exist, like folders (much like we see in iCloud). Imagine: no need to email or "Open in…" documents between apps, which creates multiple documents everywhere.
Major Features
  • Offline and Improved Siri: we’ll be able to do basic things like opening apps without an Internet connection. Maybe offline diction, too. Siri will be become much smarter and faster with an overhaul in how voice input is analyzed; it'll be like Google Now where the voice input doesn't have to be sent all together after it's said. By smarter, I mean that Siri will be able to do more things (no, not simply adding the Worldwide Ping Pong Championship scores to Siri :p). (Any ideas as to what these things could be, please share.)
  • 3rd Party Siri APIs: we can use Siri to do specific things in other apps, like adding todos in the Things app (instead of relying on the Reminders app) or asking Siri to download articles from Zite to Instapaper.
  • Offline Maps: we'll be able to cache specific cities or regions (maybe even whole countries). Off course, this will require a lot of storage space.
  • Better Personal Data Interaction: I imagine that iOS 8 will use a lot of data from its users to personalize information to them, kind of like how iOS 7 tells users about traffic conditions to their place of work and the new smart multitasking updates apps in the background based on app usage. It’ll get quite personal! I'm thinking of Google Now and the new Moto X phone with all it's sensors.

Visual Changes
I won't get into this since I like iOS 7's refreshed UI and don't absolutely loathe the new icons. Of course, visual tweaks may occur in the following betas and/or 7.x releases.

So if you guys have anything to add or speculate about, or even to refute some of my ideas, go right ahead!

Last edited:

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Some would say it's early, but considering that we've already seen everything there is to see in iOS 7, I'd say that it's a good time to start speculating about the future of Apple with iOS 8. Besides, it's never too early to speculate. ;)

This past year, Apple's team has been hard at work with redesigning iOS. As a result, big changes to the way iOS works didn't happen. Since iOS 8 will already have a visual framework to work off of, the focus this next year, I think, will be on what we do with and how we do these things with iOS 8. Of course there will be some visual changes.

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes
  • App-to-App Communication: apps will be able to work together; the current closed, sandboxed system will be freed up with new APIs.
  • Filesystem: Yes, Apple doesn't want a FS for iOS due to its "steep learning curve," but I'm not talking about a legacy approach. I'm thinking of a repository of documents that can be accessed system-wide. This is exactly how photos are accessed by different apps. With the document repository, I imagine basic FS features will exist, like folders (much like we see in iCloud). Imagine: no need to email or "Open in…" documents between apps, which creates multiple documents everywhere.
Major Features
  • Offline and Improved Siri: we’ll be able to do basic things like opening apps without an Internet connection. Maybe offline diction, too. Siri will be become much smarter and faster with an overhaul in how voice input is analyzed; it'll be like Google Now where the voice input doesn't have to be sent all together after it's said. By smarter, I mean that Siri will be able to do more things (no, not simply adding the Worldwide Ping Pong Championship scores to Siri :p). (Any ideas as to what these things could be, please share.)
  • 3rd Party Siri APIs: we can use Siri to do specific things in other apps, like adding todos in the Things app (instead of relying on the Reminders app) or asking Siri to download articles from Zite to Instapaper.
  • Offline Maps: we'll be able to cache specific cities or regions (maybe even whole countries). Off course, this will require a lot of storage space.
  • Better Personal Data Interaction: I imagine that iOS 8 will use a lot of data from its users to personalize information to them, kind of like how iOS 7 tells users about traffic conditions to their place of work and the new smart multitasking updates apps in the background based on app usage. It’ll get quite personal! I'm thinking of Google Now and the new Moto X phone with all it's sensors.

Visual Changes
I won't get into this since I like iOS 7's refreshed UI and don't absolutely loathe the new icons. Of course, visual tweaks may occur in the following betas and/or 7.x releases.

So if you guys have anything to add or speculate about, or even to refute some of my ideas, go right ahead!

People will tell you just switch to Android.... I have countless arguments with people here over app to app communication and file system. It seems majority people here hate the idea of file system. So there goes file system.

----------

Dear God no... this thread has been reported.

iPhone OS 7 isn't even out. What's with people and trying to have that "one thread with multiple pages"

iOS 7 will be like current beta, it won't change much. Nothing major will change from this point and it is kind unrealistic to hope major changes at this point of time, what younger now is what you get, beside bug fixes.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
A folder like photos where you can save certain files too. Only Office type files to keep it simple. Emailing attachments and stuff from your iPad would be easy then. I imagine that could happen.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
The only things I really want is some kind of a file managing system like the one you proposed, and quick reply would be nice as well.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington

Here are some ideas:

Underlying Changes
Major Features

Visual Changes

It will be a full year. Hold your horses there buckaroo.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Select multiple apps at once while putting them into a folder

Group FaceTime

Visual Voicemail 2 (voicemail transcribed into text)

Quick Reply for iMessage and Facebook

The ability to have certain setting automatically turn on or off, depending on your location, location based settings..( for example when I get to work my phone turns it's self on silent, and when I leave it goes back)

Widgets...Swipe left on home screen to reveal

Last edited:

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I would expect for them to add minor features and improvements. Save the ground breaking stuff for ios 10. As it is ios 7 is awesome I can't think of anything I need to add to it.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I want to see location based setting changes (turn off wifi when I leave my house, turn off my passcode when I'm home, dim my screen and turn off my ringer when I'm at the movie theater, etc.)

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This thread has been brought back from the wasteland. Since we already know all that iOS 7 has/will have to offer (even though it hasn't been released officially), the mods have agreed its fine for us to begin speculating about iOS 8.

Thanks stridemat.

HenryJobs

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
  • New icons
  • Quick reply
  • NFC support in passbook
  • New color scheme - dial it back a little
  • Widgets, maybe where spotlight used to be
  • Customizable control center

Hopefully ios 8 will focus much more on the ipad, as it got the short end of the stick because of the quick turnaround for ios 7.
  • I want to see apps that are more ipad specific, not just blown up versions of iphone apps.
  • Also on ipad, splitscreen w/ multiple apps! Maybe you could swipe two apps down at once in multitasking to enter split screen.
  • The iPad needs more poweruser features like this to keep its control of the tablet market

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I'm fairly certain, especially with some of the earlier versions of iOS, Apple introduced some new features and big changes with point releases, so I wouldn't say we've seen everything iOS7 has to offer just yet.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Are you using it on the iOS 7 beta? Is it a big improvement over iOS 6's Siri?

Yep. It's a very big improvement.

- A nice new interface that's very neat and pleasant to use.
- Good responsiveness and accuracy. Noticeably better. It's only slower than now when it has to pull data from wikipedia or wolfram alpha.
- New voices are also very good.
- Although you can toggle settings, it's just better to use control centre for that.

----------

A file system is a bad idea. If they can improve communication (in a way that's done better than android), then there's no need for a file system.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Dear God no... this thread has been reported.

iPhone OS 7 isn't even out. What's with people and trying to have that "one thread with multiple pages"

Well, you reported, this thread went to wasteland, then came back. Cycle of life always amazed me.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
How about wondering what iOS 47 will be like?
----------
This thread should not have come up until at LEAST Mid-March of next year

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I would really love a way to set priority over Wi-Fi connections.

With multiple networks in my house, it's a must!

venetian-glass

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Ooh, iOS 8. How about this.

•Integrate QR codes into the camera app.

•Make Passbook more like CardStar.

•Make Siri integrate with Apple TV.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
If you're not interested in speculating about what iOS8 could be, then don't post in the thread.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
File system access seems like a great feature that should have been added since iOS 2.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
A global sharing system.

If Apple doesn't want to trouble users with a fully fledged file system, they could at least implement a decent sharing system.

Every app can register as a file sharer and a file receiver for certain file types. You could import files from any app which shares that type of file, or export files into any app which receives that type of file.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Every app can register as a file sharer and a file receiver for certain file types. You could import files from any app which shares that type of file, or export files into any app which receives that type of file.

This would also be great for setting default applications to use, kind of like how it's done on the Mac with specific file types. However, I doubt Apple would add the ability to set defaults, even in iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.