PDA

View Full Version : Translucency on iPad 4

syd430
Aug 18, 2013, 12:44 AM
Has anyone else completely lost the translucent effect on their keyboard on the iPad 4? All the discussions that i've read through about this seem to refer to the the iPad 2/3/Mini and not the 4.

Edit: Yes "increase contrast" is switched off.

MinEderPlayz
Aug 18, 2013, 01:25 AM
Yes, all keyboards have been unblurred.
Lucky you, on iPad 2/3 there is no blur at all...

syd430
Aug 18, 2013, 01:35 AM

How do you know this? I can't find anyone mentioning this about iPad 4 except for me.

If you're basing it on this post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17747004#post17747004

Then that's also me.

syd430
Aug 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
Can anyone with an ipad 4 with beta 5 or higher post if their keyboard is translucent or solid?

Tyler23
Aug 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
Has anyone else completely lost the translucent effect on their keyboard on the iPad 4? All the discussions that i've read through about this seem to refer to the the iPad 2/3/Mini and not the 4. Asking in those threads doesn't seem to get any kind of response.

Settings-->general-->accessibility-->increase contrast-->turn off

iapplelove
Aug 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
To the best of my knowledge beta 4 only took away translucency on iPad 2 and 3 not mini or 4

syd430
Aug 18, 2013, 09:39 AM

Yes it's off. That setting also turns off all translucency, not just the keyboard.

Do you have an ipad 4 with beta 5 or higher? What does your keyboard look like?

hamiltonDSi
Aug 18, 2013, 10:06 AM
I don't wanna be that guy to ask you this but here it goes :
Are you sure you have the 4th generation iPad, not the 3rd ? They look the same.
Apple disabled the "frosted" look on the 2nd and 3rd gen, not the 4th.

syd430
Aug 18, 2013, 10:20 AM
I don't wanna be that guy to ask you this but here it goes :
Are you sure you have the 4th generation iPad, not the 3rd ? They look the same.

Haha yes it's definitely the 4th gen, unless I have an ultra rare 3rd gen with a lightning port :D

Apple disabled the "frosted" look on the 2nd and 3rd gen, not the 4th. do you have an ipad 4 running b5 or higher?

nalk7
Aug 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
The keyboard lost its translucency and frosted effect, the rest of the OS is still blurred. Honestly I think it's better this way.

It's on the beta 4 release notes, they tweaked translucency across all devices.

Septillion
Sep 18, 2013, 01:09 AM
Lucky you, on iPad 2/3 there is no blur at all...

I'm heart-broken. It really hurts. Using an iPad 3 and the f+++ing translucency just don't work.

crammedberry
Sep 18, 2013, 01:55 AM
I'm heart-broken. It really hurts. Using an iPad 3 and the f+++ing translucency just don't work.

I feel you... got an iPad 3 that can't even handle what the mini can.

MagicHAM
Sep 18, 2013, 05:31 AM

I discovered this by accident and finally turned off the transluscent effects. They are horrible.

pojo1806
Sep 18, 2013, 05:49 AM
I have an iPhone 4 and hear I wont get translucency on that, anyone got any screenshots of iPhone 4 and 5 side by side so I know what the difference is?

gomoq13
Sep 18, 2013, 05:59 AM
The iPhone 4S gets all the translucent effects, but the iPad 3 does not. I don't get it. iPad 3 internals is better than that iPhone, isn't it? Hmm ...

Futurix
Sep 18, 2013, 06:48 AM
Good god, did people learn nothing from iPhone 4?

When Apple switched to retina displays for iPhone, the amount pixels went up (4 times more pixels) but GPU wasn't 4 times more powerful to handle that - hence iPhone 4 was relatively underpowered in graphics department. Exactly the same thing happend to iPad 3 - 4 times more pixels, GPU not powerful enough.

In both cases follow-ups (iPhone 4S, iPad 4) fixed the problem. You can say that the same thing can even be extrapolated to first gen retina MacBooks (and this is also the reason why I won't buy first gen retina iMac or first gen retina iPad mini).

P.S. This is of course an off-topic. I have no idea why iPad 4 has this issue - perhaps large area of keyboard meant that even iPad 4 couldn't handle it well enough? Don't forget that transparency/translucency is one of the most taxing things in graphics.

macdim
Sep 18, 2013, 06:54 AM
The differences on which effects work and which don't on the various devices is really stupid.

iPad 2 = iPad mini but iPad mini gets all effects and iPad 2 does not.

iPad 3 was supposed to have much higher performance than iPad 2 (graphics hardware at least), but now has less effects than the mini.

I am guessing it is either that the iPad 2 and 3 have less efficient hardware and battery life would suffer if all these graphical effects were applied, OR you know.... Apple wants to sell new hardware.

Salvor Hardin
Sep 18, 2013, 06:54 AM

And yet the 2 which has the same hardware as the Mini also lacks it. Either Apple wants to make these older models look dated down to the UI level or iOS 7 development for the iPad is one spectacular confusing trainwreck so maybe the effect might might return by the time they push the inevitable update that fixes up 7 for iPad.

stooovie
Sep 18, 2013, 07:39 AM
The differences on which effects work and which don't on the various devices is really stupid.

iPad 2 = iPad mini but iPad mini gets all effects and iPad 2 does not.

iPad 3 was supposed to have much higher performance than iPad 2 (graphics hardware at least), but now has less effects than the mini.

I am guessing it is either that the iPad 2 and 3 have less efficient hardware and battery life would suffer if all these graphical effects were applied, OR you know.... Apple wants to sell new hardware.

It's simple really. You have got to take resolution into account.

With iPad 2, GPU drives little bit under 800 000 pixels.
With iPad 3, GPU needs to drive more than 3,2 million pixels - 4x the amount of iPad 2. GPU/CPU in iPad 3 is not 4x as fast as in iPad 2. Hence, iPad 3 GUI IS a bit slower than in the previous model.

Salvor Hardin
Sep 18, 2013, 09:03 AM
It's simple really. You have got to take resolution into account.

With iPad 2, GPU drives little bit under 800 000 pixels.
With iPad 3, GPU needs to drive more than 3,2 million pixels - 4x the amount of iPad 2. GPU/CPU in iPad 3 is not 4x as fast as in iPad 2. Hence, iPad 3 GUI IS a bit slower than in the previous model.

The iPad 2 and the iPad Mini have the same GPU and push the same number of pixels so why is one getting this thing and not the other?

Septillion
Sep 18, 2013, 08:04 PM

Seems like Apple is about to give up old users. iPad 3 really sucks. iWork will only be free to new-bought devices.

----------

Good god, did people learn nothing from iPhone 4?

When Apple switched to retina displays for iPhone, the amount pixels went up (4 times more pixels) but GPU wasn't 4 times more powerful to handle that - hence iPhone 4 was relatively underpowered in graphics department. Exactly the same thing happend to iPad 3 - 4 times more pixels, GPU not powerful enough.

In both cases follow-ups (iPhone 4S, iPad 4) fixed the problem. You can say that the same thing can even be extrapolated to first gen retina MacBooks (and this is also the reason why I won't buy first gen retina iMac or first gen retina iPad mini).

P.S. This is of course an off-topic. I have no idea why iPad 4 has this issue - perhaps large area of keyboard meant that even iPad 4 couldn't handle it well enough? Don't forget that transparency/translucency is one of the most taxing things in graphics.

Yeah, great. I've got the first-gen Retina iPad and the first-gen rMBP. Did I just make the worst decisions on the planet? Seems like the disappearance of translucency is not about performance. Before beta 5, they look great and work fluently.

Stetrain
Sep 18, 2013, 08:16 PM
The iPad 2 and the iPad Mini have the same GPU and push the same number of pixels so why is one getting this thing and not the other?

Because putting better graphics effects on the iPad 2 than on the iPad 3 would be admitting that the iPad 3's GPU was underpowered.

MinEderPlayz
Sep 19, 2013, 12:56 PM
Because putting better graphics effects on the iPad 2 than on the iPad 3 would be admitting that the iPad 3's GPU was underpowered.

And what are they admitting now? That they are money-focused bastards? Making hardware look outdated and old next to the same hardware in a shiny new case?

TroyBoy30
Sep 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
can someone post comparison screenshots? ive turned that setting on and off and have yet to see any difference

WeegieMac
Sep 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
I feel sorry for iPad 3 owners, being one myself up until three months ago. The A5X really is showing it wasn't good enough for that display and the resolution it packs.

The keyboard isn't supposed to be translucent, not in Safari anyway. It's a plain grey background with white keys on iPad 4 and my iPhone 4s, both of which have full translucency and blur effects throughout the OS.

I've told my wife, who now has my iPad 3 as well as an iPhone 4, not to upgrade from iOS 6 ... the performance hit and slower devices would see her make my life a living hell! :D

crammedberry
Sep 19, 2013, 01:25 PM
And what are they admitting now? That they are money-focused bastards? Making hardware look outdated and old next to the same hardware in a shiny new case?

Apple is above all a profit driven corporation just like all others, the sooner people realize that the less pain there will be.

stevemiller
Sep 19, 2013, 07:20 PM
Apple is above all a profit driven corporation just like all others, the sooner people realize that the less pain there will be.

Profit is a two-way street. There comes a point when disenfranchising your customers will end up hurting you more. Not saying that is what will happen here, but it's worth acknowledging that we as customers play a role in the equation as well.

crammedberry
Sep 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
Profit is a two-way street. There comes a point when disenfranchising your customers will end up hurting you more. Not saying that is what will happen here, but it's worth acknowledging that we as customers play a role in the equation as well.

I think Apple may see some backlash over this, but as long as the masses keep handing over their money and Apple is racking in billions they will continue to burn people for their next buck.