PDA

View Full Version : NFL app in the works?

Nalmond92
Aug 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
Was looking getting a season pass and found the following:

For iOS, similar to last season, the NFL Game Pass app on iPhone and iPad will include the ability to Airplay to your AppleTV. Unfortunately, an AppleTV app will not be available this season. That said, the video quality from Airplay to AppleTV will be improved for the Regular Season.

Sounds like they might be trying to work something out with Apple? Or I'm reading too much into it :p

boomhower
Aug 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
My guess is it largely depends on how long the contract with DirecTV lasts on who is willing to pay to most to carry it. The NFL is all about the money, whoever is willing to write the biggest check will get to carry the programming. I doubt Apple will be able to justify the size of the check needing to be written with the amount of people willing to pay for it on the AppleTV compared to the subscriber base of DirecTV.

lunaoso
Aug 18, 2013, 07:22 PM
It might happen if the NFL decides not to sign an exclusive deal with anyone and just sign contracts with multiple companies. Although who knows how long the current deal with DirectTV.

Irishman
Aug 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
I hope so!

linds15
Aug 18, 2013, 08:23 PM
in the meantime airplay works pretty well

brentsg
Aug 18, 2013, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that this upcoming season is the final one for the current DirecTV deal.

Also, they just pulled Sunday Ticket from PS3.

Edit: I've read several articles that say it ends after "the 2014 season". Is that this one, or next?

Nalmond92
Aug 19, 2013, 03:47 AM
Well I hope apple is able to sort something when the directTV contract ends! Would be great to be able to watch it straight from my Apple TV, I hope they add it to the UK apple tv though...

Go Dolphins

Lord Hamsa
Aug 19, 2013, 07:27 AM
Edit: I've read several articles that say it ends after "the 2014 season". Is that this one, or next?

That would be the season starting in September 2014. If DirecTV does not sign an exclusive extension (and I think I'm reading the same articles as you, which implies that they won't), you might be able to subscribe to it separately on ATV starting with the season beginning September 2015.

paulrbeers
Aug 19, 2013, 08:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that this upcoming season is the final one for the current DirecTV deal.

Also, they just pulled Sunday Ticket from PS3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

Definitive. 2014-2015 season the contract runs thru.

alent1234
Aug 19, 2013, 09:11 AM
unless you live away from your favorite team, i would just get cable or Direct TV. MLB TV and NBA TV both cost a lot of money. enough that you might as well just pay for cable TV

JAT
Aug 19, 2013, 04:40 PM
unless you live away from your favorite team, i would just get cable or Direct TV. MLB TV and NBA TV both cost a lot of money. enough that you might as well just pay for cable TV

But you still have to buy the sports packages with cable/sat. It's not like they all come free with a basic cable package. Sometimes you can get a startup deal that includes a Ticket, but that's one year.

alent1234
Aug 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
But you still have to buy the sports packages with cable/sat. It's not like they all come free with a basic cable package. Sometimes you can get a startup deal that includes a Ticket, but that's one year.

Not in NYC
Not the basic package, but the standard package will have sports channels. Not the special all team packages, just lots of local games

JAT
Aug 19, 2013, 09:56 PM
Not in NYC
Not the basic package, but the standard package will have sports channels. Not the special all team packages, just lots of local games

So, you're bringing up new subjects? You should announce that so we don't think you are talking about the thread topic.

boomhower
Aug 20, 2013, 10:23 PM
Google may be stealing the show. (http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube/#continued)