Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
See attached screenshot.

System folder clocks in at 5.43 GB and Library folder at 3.39 GB. So what is this "other" taking up 50GB???

Mind you, this is brand-spanking new 13" MBA, less than two months old.

Attachments

• mba-storage-use.png
    mba-storage-use.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 150

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

get daisy disk or something like it and go fishing.

alternatively you can do it finder. go into folder options (command-j) and select "calculate all sizes" then apply as default.

give it a few minutes to do the math, sort folders by size, and do some top down processing starting with / and find the offending files.

do you run vmware or parallels?

by the way, not to lecture you but you really should be backing up your system with TM or something like it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
See attached screenshot.

System folder clocks in at 5.43 GB and Library folder at 3.39 GB. So what is this "other" taking up 50GB???

Mind you, this is brand-spanking new 13" MBA, less than two months old.

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I did. Turns out there is 12GB mailbox cache, and 9GB app support in library. That explains a lot.

I use SuperDuper for that. I dislike TimeMachine.

Thanks all for your replies!

oh good - as long as you are for scuba err backing up, i am at pee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.