PDA

View Full Version : Considering Apple TV, worth it?

pbateman
Aug 19, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hey guys
I am interested in getting a streaming box and I was about to get the Roku because, honestly it is cheaper after all (50 bucks for the LT), and one of my main reasons for getting it was for HBO GO. however I found out Roku does not stream HBO GO if you have Comcast. This made me start looking into ATV in which HBO Go apparently does work.
I have not been up to date with news on ATV but it does not seem that a new release is imminent.
After reading a bit about it seems nice that you can display whatever is on your iPhone trough the ATV.
Jut looking for some opinions, how do you like it. is the ATV worth it? Is HBO Streaming good? As I said I have not heard of rumors of any hw updates to it coming up soon, not sure if you have? and I should hold off on getting it till then?

Thanks!

ZeRoLiMiT
Aug 19, 2013, 09:49 AM
Depends on your needs and what you have. If you have Mac computers, iPhones, iPads and everything Apple :apple: YES!!!!

HBO Go works perfect!

pbateman
Aug 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks! I am looking to use it mostly for HBO Go since I don't have netflix. Hope they eventually add Amazon Prime Video but HBO go is the main one for now, and youtube of course. I have an Iphone and my GF an Iphone and Ipad so even though that's not much (no mac laptops), hopefully its wroth getting it.
Hoping to also use it to stream music/radio apps from my iphone...

blujacket
Aug 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
Apple Tv is the only Apple product I have ever purchased. I stream HBO Go & Netflix and it does both great.

pbateman
Aug 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks, sounds like its worth it, will get!

whooleytoo
Aug 19, 2013, 12:09 PM
I use it all the time for playing my music. There are many solutions for streaming from PC/Mac to TV, but if you're using something like a DLNA client to play it, it's not a pleasant experience scrolling through thousands of entries via a joypad. Using the Remote app on an iPad to select music to play on the AppleTV is far nicer experience.

Add to that Netflix and Airplay, and it's an easy decision, IMO.

oldhifi
Aug 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks! I am looking to use it mostly for HBO Go since I don't have netflix. Hope they eventually add Amazon Prime Video but HBO go is the main one for now, and youtube of course. I have an Iphone and my GF an Iphone and Ipad so even though that's not much (no mac laptops), hopefully its wroth getting it.
Hoping to also use it to stream music/radio apps from my iphone...

Apple TV makes it nice to stream music from my iPad Mini. I use the HBO to GO and Netflix, the video and audio quality is great..it is a great buy

pbateman
Aug 19, 2013, 12:41 PM
Just ordered it thanks all, can't wait!

ogee
Aug 21, 2013, 12:08 AM
Im also thinking of getting 1 or 2 ATV. Any rumours of a hardware updated version soon ?

Mrbobb
Aug 21, 2013, 01:00 PM
I found out Roku does not stream HBO GO if you have Comcast.

Say what?

I thought they let you stream HBO, IF you already have a paid HBO TV subscription.

linds15
Aug 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
Say what?

I thought they let you stream HBO, IF you already have a paid HBO TV subscription.

you have to have an HBO sub with a provider who lets you sign into HBO Go

pbateman
Aug 21, 2013, 04:36 PM
you have to have an HBO sub with a provider who lets you sign into HBO Go

Correct which Comcast is not...so even if you pay for HBO in Comcast it will not allow you to stream HBO Go tru the Roku. Comcast will let you watch HBO Go in your laptop or ipad or iphone and Apple TV but not with the Roku... go figure

pbateman
Aug 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
Just a follow up on this, got my ATV yesterday afternoon, have not played around much with it but so far looks good.
I will try to stream something in HBO Go today, yesterday I just watched a couple of movie trailers and streamed music form my desktop itunes, so far so good.
One thing though when you use airplay to display something from your iphone/ipad, it does not take up the entire TV screen, I did not try this with say HBO GO app or Youtube yet, but its that the default? Do only certain apps stream to the entire TV screen? or is this just not possible?
The way I see things is basically centered in my TV but does not even take up half of the TV screen. I guess I am trying to see if there's a way to 'maximize' the image displayed on the TV so it takes up all of the TV screen instead of just a small centered area.

linds15
Aug 22, 2013, 09:59 AM
Just a follow up on this, got my ATV yesterday afternoon, have not played around much with it but so far looks good.
I will try to stream something in HBO Go today, yesterday I just watched a couple of movie trailers and streamed music form my desktop itunes, so far so good.
One thing though when you use airplay to display something from your iphone/ipad, it does not take up the entire TV screen, I did not try this with say HBO GO app or Youtube yet, but its that the default? Do only certain apps stream to the entire TV screen? or is this just not possible?
The way I see things is basically centered in my TV but does not even take up half of the TV screen. I guess I am trying to see if there's a way to 'maximize' the image displayed on the TV so it takes up all of the TV screen instead of just a small centered area.
there is a difference between airplay and airplay-mirroring. airplay has to be built into an app, like youtube for example, which will optimize the output for a tv, airplay mirroring is when you select it on your device and it simply shadows whats on your device.

boomhower
Aug 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
Apple TV is worth it to me just for Aiplay itself. Great feature to be able to through my desktop onto the TV screen.

H00513R
Aug 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
Just ordered it thanks all, can't wait!

Grats! You won't be disappointed.

pbateman
Aug 29, 2013, 05:28 AM
Grats! You won't be disappointed.

I'm loving it! HBO Go works great, and having a blast playing my fave videos/concerts in youtube on the big screen...

susa
Sep 18, 2013, 02:02 AM
Apple TV is worth it to me just for Aiplay itself. Great feature to be able to through my desktop onto the TV screen.

Does this mean I'd be able to watch YouTube on the TV screen wirelessly? If so, is it complicated to do? I was thinking of getting Roku because of YouTube, but just as much because it looks simple to use with their remote. I'm technically challenged, but less so than my husband who i really want to enjoy using it too.

joel6653
Sep 18, 2013, 06:05 AM
Does this mean I'd be able to watch YouTube on the TV screen wirelessly? If so, is it complicated to do? I was thinking of getting Roku because of YouTube, but just as much because it looks simple to use with their remote. I'm technically challenged, but less so than my husband who i really want to enjoy using it too.

You could stream it from another iOS device wirelessly, but you wouldn't want to do that necessarily, since YouTube is one of the apps built into the Apple TV.

oddsbodkins
Sep 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
And don't underestimate WatchESPN. I usually spend $110/yr on ESPN Full Court to watch out of market college basketball. Now that I can stream ESPN3 in glorious 1080p, I can save the $110 which automatically funded my ATV.

Nightarchaon
Sep 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
i Love the Apple TV, i have a gen 1, modded so it can decode 1080p (at the cost of its wifi capabilities) which is ideal to load up with 140gb of movies or tv shows and travel with (or do a movie night at friends house with)

i have two apple TV gen 3s, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, but i do have a 16TB raid thats currently 57% full of TV shows and Movies, and mostly stream that content and netflix via them.

I haven't watched live TV in years, i use Elgatos eyetv to record shows, tag and convert them using iVI pro and drop them into iTunes for later consumption once the adverts are stripped out.

For a time shifted lifestyle i cant recommend the Apple TV enough .

crzdcolombian
Sep 18, 2013, 08:42 AM
Sony going to come out with a $100 buck apple tv competitor that is going to allow you to stream PS4 to any tv as long as you have a PS4. IT will also let you play PS VIta games on your TV even if you don't have a Vita !!!

PS TV is going to have all the channels Apple TV has for the same price + games minus the Apple store. As does every single gaming device out there. Hell buy the PS3 used for $150 or less and have the same thing + a blu ray player!! It has sunday ticket if your a football fan + basically all the sports special packages.

Then there is the google chromecast for $35 bucks + a few months free of netflicks making it basically free !!!!

Apple needs to lower the price of the Appletv big time(basically every smart tv, blu ray and gaming system does the same function).

Apple TV for me to buy it needs to be $30-50 bucks to compete with Chromecast or start letting us play video games on our TVs for $100 bucks.

Question is why do you want a Appletv and then search for a cheaper better option. Unless it is you really want another apple product I think you have way better and cheaper options. If you just want your itunes to work with your tv. Then buy a 3 dollar connector on ebay.

You have a ton of movies on itunes you want to watch. I ahve a 50 inch screen and most digital copies I got with blu rays came as DVD quality(WHY !!!!). You want to rent a movie? So much cheaper on Amazon or Netflix. Apple charges the same comcast does !!!Don't be lazy go to a redbox and get a blu ray for $1.50.

palmharbor
Sep 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
For about $80 you can buy a Sony Bluray player that has built in wifi-receiver and play movies and get most of the streaming sites on Apple Tv including youtube, Netflix and others.

senseless
Sep 18, 2013, 06:32 PM
You could stream it from another iOS device wirelessly, but you wouldn't want to do that necessarily, since YouTube is one of the apps built into the Apple TV.

Is the quality better playing YouTube movies with the Apple TV app instead of my ipad? It's so difficult to navigate around without the ipad keyboard.

FlatlinerG
Sep 18, 2013, 06:32 PM
For about $80 you can buy a Sony Bluray player that has built in wifi-receiver and play movies and get most of the streaming sites on Apple Tv including youtube, Netflix and others.

Except no iTunes Store, no AirPlay, etc.

crzdcolombian
Sep 18, 2013, 08:08 PM
Except no iTunes Store, no AirPlay, etc.

I take playing blu rays over itunes any day of the week. Do most of you pay for itunes movies? I like my Digital copies but only for my iphone or iPad or computer. Watching even the HD ones that aren't 1080p blu ray quality on my tv isn't good enough. I have 50 legal digital copies and probably around 50 movies I downloaded elsewhere. I just don't see a $100 value in the Apple TV. So many better cheaper options out there. Itunes can be achieved with a cheap cable that connects your comp to your TV. Airplay the express does it for the same price and better I think. Main reason to get it is for nextflix, hulu and basically every device that can get internet now has both. Hell get a used wii off craiglist for $20 bucks.... not HD but w/e.

linds15
Sep 18, 2013, 08:12 PM
I take playing blu rays over itunes any day of the week. Do most of you pay for itunes movies? I like my Digital copies but only for my iphone or iPad or computer. Watching even the HD ones that aren't 1080p blu ray quality on my tv isn't good enough. I have 50 legal digital copies and probably around 50 movies I downloaded elsewhere. I just don't see a $100 value in the Apple TV. So many better cheaper options out there. Itunes can be achieved with a cheap cable that connects your comp to your TV. Airplay the express does it for the same price and better I think. Main reason to get it is for nextflix, hulu and basically every device that can get internet now has both. Hell get a used wii off craiglist for $20 bucks.... not HD but w/e.

blu rays are obviously better than itunes, majority in here are taking the convenience of sifting through a list over changing disks
also, if you have more than 1 tv a macbook + wire doesn't do you much good

xlr8or
Sep 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
As the title says, I'm considering an Apple TV. Within the house so far we have two iPhones, an iPad mini, and soon hope to get a Mac mini when the new upgrades become available later this year. With three Apple IDs around the house, how does the Apple TV work in this situation? Will content (movies/music/TV show seasons) from all three Apple IDs be available for viewing/listening on the ATV via iTunes, or will it just show the content that has been purchased by the Apple ID that is logged in or signed on the ATV unit? Can multiple Apple IDs sign onto the ATV?

We're still new to the Apple ecosystem and I appreciate any pointers that you could provide in how this all works. Thanks in advance for your responses.

StinDaWg
Sep 18, 2013, 09:22 PM
And don't underestimate WatchESPN. I usually spend $110/yr on ESPN Full Court to watch out of market college basketball. Now that I can stream ESPN3 in glorious 1080p, I can save the $110 which automatically funded my ATV.
Sorry, but you're not getting a 1080p stream. The max resolution for WatchESPN is 540p.

linds15
Sep 18, 2013, 09:24 PM
As the title says, I'm considering an Apple TV. Within the house so far we have two iPhones, an iPad mini, and soon hope to get a Mac mini when the new upgrades become available later this year. With three Apple IDs around the house, how does the Apple TV work in this situation? Will content (movies/music/TV show seasons) from all three Apple IDs be available for viewing/listening on the ATV via iTunes, or will it just show the content that has been purchased by the Apple ID that is logged in or signed on the ATV unit? Can multiple Apple IDs sign onto the ATV?

We're still new to the Apple ecosystem and I appreciate any pointers that you could provide in how this all works. Thanks in advance for your responses.

you will login with 1 apple id, to use as the account you purchase content through, however, with home sharing enabled, each device can share its content with the ATV, you just have to enable home sharing on each device. for example in my home i have a mac mini with all the main content, but when others macs are open with their own itunes libraries open, their content is also displayed.

susa
Sep 19, 2013, 03:31 AM
Thank you. I am finally 99.9% sure I will go for ATV versus Roku. If DH can't learn to use it, he'd likely have problems with Roku too. Besides, I rarely (never yet?) stray from Apple. Always have been very pleased with their products. I am in Canada, getting US and elsewhere Netflix with unblock-us, so I only have to make sure now that it'll work with an ATV bought from Canada, or else go to ebay. Apologies for getting strayed off the main topic.

FlatlinerG
Sep 19, 2013, 07:36 AM

I own over 250 DVDs and blurays. I do have a bluray player if it's something I feel like watching but for everything else the Apple TVis the way to go. If we do download something or have a video on one of our computers then we use Air Video Server and the iOS app to stream it to the Apple TV.

linds15
Sep 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
Thank you. I am finally 99.9% sure I will go for ATV versus Roku. If DH can't learn to use it, he'd likely have problems with Roku too. Besides, I rarely (never yet?) stray from Apple. Always have been very pleased with their products. I am in Canada, getting US and elsewhere Netflix with unblock-us, so I only have to make sure now that it'll work with an ATV bought from Canada, or else go to ebay. Apologies for getting strayed off the main topic.

it doesnt matter where you get the ATV from, just follow the guide on unblock. im in canada and do the same thing, USA netflix + hulu plus = happy user

xlr8or
Sep 19, 2013, 10:27 AM
you will login with 1 apple id, to use as the account you purchase content through, however, with home sharing enabled, each device can share its content with the ATV, you just have to enable home sharing on each device. for example in my home i have a mac mini with all the main content, but when others macs are open with their own itunes libraries open, their content is also displayed.

Do all the devices have to be turned on & logged in to use home sharing or does this just work off of the Apple IDs that have enabled home sharing? For example, does the desktop PC or Mac have to be on with a user logged in for home sharing to work on an ATV? I'm not finding much about how this works on Apple's website. Thanks.

jdechko
Sep 19, 2013, 11:10 AM
crzdcolombian & palmharbor

No one is denying that there are cheaper alternatives to the AppleTV, and no one is saying that the device couldn't be improved. But for $100, it's a very capable device that serves a big function for many people.

Personally, I like the fact that I don't have to deal with DVDs or BluRay discs. I have 2 young kids that can navigate the AppleTV interface quite well, and I don't have to worry about their scratching the discs.

When the wife and I decide to rent a movie, we can easily find a movie on iTunes. Redbox is great when you can plan ahead (esp. for newer releases), but for spontaneity, the AppleTV wins.

Finally, the AppleTV is constantly improving. New channels are being added and I would be surprised if there wasn't an app store available in the near future. Gaming on the ATV is already a reality with Airplay and Airplay mirroring.

Eckscaliber
Sep 20, 2013, 06:07 PM
I have an Apple TV 3 and I wish I had a Roku with it's 5.0 software instead. If I were you, I would definitely buy a Roku.

crzdcolombian
Sep 20, 2013, 07:55 PM
crzdcolombian & palmharbor

No one is denying that there are cheaper alternatives to the AppleTV, and no one is saying that the device couldn't be improved. But for $100, it's a very capable device that serves a big function for many people.

Personally, I like the fact that I don't have to deal with DVDs or BluRay discs. I have 2 young kids that can navigate the AppleTV interface quite well, and I don't have to worry about their scratching the discs.

When the wife and I decide to rent a movie, we can easily find a movie on iTunes. Redbox is great when you can plan ahead (esp. for newer releases), but for spontaneity, the AppleTV wins.

Finally, the AppleTV is constantly improving. New channels are being added and I would be surprised if there wasn't an app store available in the near future. Gaming on the ATV is already a reality with Airplay and Airplay mirroring.

iTunes is probably the most expensive way to rent a movie.... and again every single thing I listed does this and much better/cheaper. If you have a cable box it does the same function..... $100 bucks can get you a used PS3 that has 50x the value in it. FOr the price the Apple tv is just too much money.

Other than really wanting another apple product it really serves little purpose for people who don't have hundreds of movies on itunes.

linds15
Sep 20, 2013, 08:20 PM
iTunes is probably the most expensive way to rent a movie.... and again every single thing I listed does this and much better/cheaper. If you have a cable box it does the same function..... $100 bucks can get you a used PS3 that has 50x the value in it. FOr the price the Apple tv is just too much money.

Other than really wanting another apple product it really serves little purpose for people who don't have hundreds of movies on itunes.

i have maybe 3 iTunes movies and find tons of value in ATV. im not saying its for everyone, but its by no means useless unless you have itunes movies

jdechko
Sep 20, 2013, 09:47 PM

On Demand digital streaming is more expensive, but not necessarily iTunes. Apple doesn't set the prices, the studios do. And for almost all movies, iTunes, Amazon and On Demand (comcast, because that's what I know) are going to charge you the same amount.

Unless I've planned ahead, it's much more of a hassle to get in the car, drive to the nearest redbox and hope that it has the new release I want to watch. So I, and many others, will gladly pay an extra $4-5 for the convenience.

And "better" is subjective. I think the AppleTV interface is better than just about all other interfaces (PS3, comcast box, blu-Ray, and smartTV). Admittedly, I've only spent limited time with the other devices (except the comcast box, which is terribly slow and still in SD).

Yes, it appeals more to people who are invested heavily in the Apple ecosystem. I'm not saying the device is perfect for everyone. Clearly it's not, as you don't see the value in it. But tons of other people do.

slu
Sep 20, 2013, 10:00 PM
Do all the devices have to be turned on & logged in to use home sharing or does this just work off of the Apple IDs that have enabled home sharing? For example, does the desktop PC or Mac have to be on with a user logged in for home sharing to work on an ATV? I'm not finding much about how this works on Apple's website. Thanks.

Not only do they have to be on, but iTunes has to be open. Except for iTunes in the cloud stuff, which can be steamed from Apple.

crzdcolombian
Sep 20, 2013, 10:02 PM
Not only do they have to be on, but iTunes has to be open. Except for iTunes in the cloud stuff, which can be steamed from Apple.

DING DING DING !!! Exactly why I got rid of mine !!!

:D

oddsbodkins
Sep 24, 2013, 06:23 AM
Sorry, but you're not getting a 1080p stream. The max resolution for WatchESPN is 540p.

Well I'll be... makes sense. But, it's much better than the SD feeds they load Full Court down with.

Uofmtiger
Sep 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
The differences between the Roku and the AppleTV are significant. The Roku offers a lot more channels. You can run Plex, Amazon, and many other apps.

The main benefit to the AppleTV, for me, is Airplay. I use my iPhone to stream photos, audio, and video all the time. As an example, the Roku does not have a Lynda (videos for photography, design and business) app. However, Lynda does have an iOS app that I can stream video to my AppleTV with Airplay. Also, the ability to control music with the iPhone rather than through the TVs interface is a major benefit.

I pay $25 a year for iTunes Match. It is mainly a convenient music backup, but it also allows streaming to the AppleTV when the computer with iTunes is off.

I have a fat PS3 and the main issue with it is the noise caused by the fan. It also doesn't have Airplay, so that is the main downside. You do get the benefit of Bluray, but to be honest, I prefer streaming (even though the video and audio are not as good). Also, it does not have as many apps available as Roku.

In other words, while the PS3, Roku, and AppleTV has some overlap, I think they all have different capabilities that make them better than others in certain areas. I have all three and use the AppleTV the most.

Toltepeceno
Sep 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have an Apple TV 3 and I wish I had a Roku with it's 5.0 software instead. If I were you, I would definitely buy a Roku.

Same exact here, I am going to get a roku 5 and move the atv3 to a spare tv. I thought the atv3 would be jailbroken when I goot it and roku 5 was not out yet. I would definitely go roku 5. I like the idea of the headphone connection in the remote also. There are channels to "airplay" with on roku and being without itunes would be a plus. The wife wants ewtn spanish and some other channels roku has.

I buy nothing from itunes, have to have it open to stream my movies and have to "register" the computer. I have had to register the same computer 4 times even though nothing has changed. Apple likes to "mess" with you.

Eckscaliber
Sep 24, 2013, 04:40 PM
Same exact here, I am going to get a roku 5 and move the atv3 to a spare tv. I thought the atv3 would be jailbroken when I goot it and roku 5 was not out yet. I would definitely go roku 5. I like the idea of the headphone connection in the remote also. There are channels to "airplay" with on roku and being without itunes would be a plus. The wife wants ewtn spanish and some other channels roku has.

I buy nothing from itunes, have to have it open to stream my movies and have to "register" the computer. I have had to register the same computer 4 times even though nothing has changed. Apple likes to "mess" with you.

I have zero media on my computer and iPhone. I'm just not into it. I have no files to share anywhere. The Apple TV was a birthday present. I would have never personally bought one. Have you seen the Roku app in the App Store? It's quite impressive, and almost reason enough to buy a Roku.

Toltepeceno
Sep 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
I have zero media on my computer and iPhone. I'm just not into it. I have no files to share anywhere. The Apple TV was a birthday present. I would have never personally bought one. Have you seen the Roku app in the App Store? It's quite impressive, and almost reason enough to buy a Roku.

I have not, I will check it out though. Thanks. I have media, about 100 movies (not a lot), but it's ALL ripped stuff and none through itunes. It would be easier to use with roku and no itunes. Not to mention losing communication and having to reboot both the atv and computer.

I use headphones a lot also and the cable across the room is a pain.

Uofmtiger
Sep 24, 2013, 06:00 PM
I have not, I will check it out though. Thanks. I have media, about 100 movies (not a lot), but it's ALL ripped stuff and none through itunes. It would be easier to use with roku and no itunes. Not to mention losing communication and having to reboot both the atv and computer.

I use headphones a lot also and the cable across the room is a pain.
I have the Roku app and I don't really see that it is anything special. It has a list with icons of your Roku apps. When you choose one, it will start that app on the Roku, but you get a simple navigation page. The Apple Remote app works in a similar manner for the AppleTV. It just doesn't show the first page of icons.

Using Airplay is a much better way to handle some of the same apps. For example, you can open Pandora using the Roku iPhone app, but you have to have the TV on to navigate. With Airplay, you simply need to start the Pandora app on your iPhone and use Airplay to send audio to your AppleTV. If you have it hooked up to a receiver, you don't even need a TV on. You can navigate using the Pandora app.

I have been using AppleTV with headphones for a while. There was (is?) an app called Airfoil Speakers that turns the iPhone into an Airplay receiver. You simply start the app and tell the AppleTV to send the audio to the iPhone Airfoil app and the audio plays over your iPhone. I am not sure if the Airfoil app is still available, but the version I have works fine with iOS7. My iPhone is not jailbroken.

The main upside to the Roku is the apps like Vudu, Amazon, and Plex. However, it doesn't have airplay, which is the main downside. Personally, I don't think there is a clear winner. They both have capabilities that the other doesn't.

jdechko
Sep 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
I have been using AppleTV with headphones for a while. There was (is?) an app called Airfoil Speakers that turns the iPhone into an Airplay receiver. You simply start the app and tell the AppleTV to send the audio to the iPhone Airfoil app and the audio plays over your iPhone. I am not sure if the Airfoil app is still available, but the version I have works fine with iOS7. My iPhone is not jailbroken.

Unfortunately, Apple forced the developer to remove that feature.

The main upside to the Roku is the apps like Vudu, Amazon, and Plex. However, it doesn't have airplay, which is the main downside. Personally, I don't think there is a clear winner. They both have capabilities that the other doesn't.

Exactly, each device has it's merits.

If you are heavily invested in iTunes or Apple, the AppleTV is the winner.

If you want a lot of apps/ channels, then the Roku is a good choice.

For the best quality and occasional streaming, a blu-ray player is for you.

Pick up a PS3 if you want a decent n-in-one machine.

Pick up a chrome cast if most of your viewing is done in a browser.

cloroxbleach4
Sep 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
I have a question about Apple TV. Is there anyway to use it with my Macbook Pro? I am wanting to display my desktop wirelessly. Does it do either mirroring or be able to extend my desktop at all? I'm also assuming that it will carry the audio as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

linds15
Sep 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
I have a question about Apple TV. Is there anyway to use it with my Macbook Pro? I am wanting to display my desktop wirelessly. Does it do either mirroring or be able to extend my desktop at all? I'm also assuming that it will carry the audio as well.

macs from mid 2011 (early 2011 for mbp) and later have native support for airplay mirroring with mountain lion. so in your case it will works just fine

for those who have older macs you can use a 3rd party app such as airparrot

jdechko
Sep 25, 2013, 05:47 PM

To expand a little bit about what linds15 said,

Most newer Macs have mirroring enabled, so you can show what is on your MBP screen on your ATV.

One of the "tent pole" features of Mavericks (OS X 10.9, which will be available later on this fall) is the ability to use the AppleTV as an additional display (extend the desktop).

zxc2009
Oct 2, 2013, 07:59 AM
Well guys,

Its with much regret that I am ditching my 'suite' of Apple TV 1's after years of solid service.

For me though, local storage (or the ability to add some) is paramount. While all the content was streamed to ATV 1's via the NAS/Laptop running iTunes when in the house i need local storage when I'm on the road. I travel with work a lot and holiday in a cottage out in the country that has no broadband internet connection. I want a device I can walk into a hotel with, or my holiday cottage in and plug into a tv with enough content to keep me occupied for a couple of weeks away from home.

Unfortunatley, the Apple TV 1 can't handle high(er) resolution/profile 720p and can't even think about 1080 unless the innards are modified which is something I'm not prepared to do. Re-encoding into compliant formats is also a pain but I've alwasy accepted that and kind of understand Apple's desire to be quite format specific.

I tried ATV 2, but found the requirement to navigate content stored in-house (ie on the NAS) in the 'Computers' menu infruriating. I loved the fact with ATV 1 all Films, TV Shows, Music would appear in the same place regardless of where they are stored (if the NAS was off and the ATV could only access local content it would only show local content in the library).

I waited for the latest ATV3 update in the hope Apple would allow me to connect a storage device into the Micro USB port - but alas this did not happen.

So - I went out and bought a Raspberry Pi and am running Openelec XBMC on it. It allows me USB attached storage, plays 1080 HD, doesn't require re-code of downloaded content and pretty much plays everything I've thrown at it, and stores all my content in one menu (although if the NAS is off the content is still listed and you are presented with 'content unavailble' message if the NAS is unreachable). Raspberry Pi + IR remote cost me less than 50 (although I already had USB storage and didn't have to buy it).

I've lost arond 10% of my content bought from iTunes which no longer works, but everything else has been ripped from DVD or recorded off TV apart from the odd other download.

It's really sad as the ATV1 was a qualilty product and even more sad that Apple don't always listen from the feedback from its customers. Many many people want the facility to add USB storage to the ATV but it never comes.

Now that I can't play my iTunes purchased content I have little reason to carry on using iTunes to sync my iPod classic - might as well use a media manager that plugs in nicely with XBMC.

Sad day really.