PDA

View Full Version : EMI irks Apple over iPod anti-rip CD compatibility claim

MacBytes
Nov 19, 2005, 11:55 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: EMI irks Apple over iPod anti-rip CD compatibility claim (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051119125547)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Captain Canuck
Nov 20, 2005, 03:08 PM
The last CD I bought touted it was "copy protected" but that seemed to only affect PC users. As a Mac user I could import the tracks as I saw fit with no DRM. So does Apple's reluctance to licence Fairplay mean all the PC users are basically left with a useless CD if they use iTunes and an iPod?

If that's the case then Apple should get onboard as I'm sure there are a lot of PC users that own iPods. But from a strictly Mac centric point of view the longer they hold out the better. The only reason I buy CDs anymore is so I don't have to deal with DRM and I can encode tracks at a higher bit rate than the Apple Music Store provides.

It sounds like if the record companies have their way with "copy protected" CDs they are basically going to kill the CD as a distribution method -- no longer a difference between a DRM CD vs. a DRM download so why buy a CD!

The record companies should focus more on making their back catalogues available for download and removing the boundries between countries so the consumer can purchase what they want instead of trying to locking us into a DRM scheme. The only reason I've ever used P2P sites is to get songs unavailable to me in this country or tracks I own on vinyl that are not available on CD. I'd happily re-purchase those tracks/albums again if they were made available.

Where's Bono and Geldof with a "Free the Music" concert. Or the "Artists agaist the RIAA" campaign....

shamino
Nov 21, 2005, 05:53 PM
So does Apple's reluctance to licence Fairplay mean all the PC users are basically left with a useless CD if they use iTunes and an iPod?
I doubt it. If the disc is going to be compatible with an audio CD player, then it is, by definition, rippable.

All of the copy protection schemes involve one of the following:

Introduce errors into the audio. Audio decks should apply error correction and play it OK. Computers will rip noise. This doesn't work because many audio players don't have error correction, and many software rippers do.
Make a hybrid audio/data CD, and put an auto-run program on the data portion that hides the audio part from computers. So your computer only sees the data part, which contains DRM-protected files. This only works if your computer is running a compatible OS and will auto-run the program. Macs can't auto-run anything, and very few CDs have Mac software on them. (Sony's recent fiasco being a notable exception.)

The only reason I buy CDs anymore is so I don't have to deal with DRM and I can encode tracks at a higher bit rate than the Apple Music Store provides.
With these protected discs, you can no longer rip anything. You instead copy protected (and compressed) files from the CD. You end up with the same thing you'd buy from iTMS, at twice the price.
It sounds like if the record companies have their way with "copy protected" CDs they are basically going to kill the CD as a distribution method -- no longer a difference between a DRM CD vs. a DRM download so why buy a CD!
You got it pegged. And when they finally kill the CD business, they'll blame it on file-sharing. All of their problems in the last 5-10 years have been self-inflicted, but their collective ego will refuse to ever recognize this fact.
Where's Bono and Geldof with a "Free the Music" concert. Or the "Artists agaist the RIAA" campaign....
This is a joke, right? They're just as beholden to their record labels as all the rest.

They'll threaten to sue fans selling Live8 tickets on eBay, but they won't dare go up against the companies they're contracted with. For all their good works, they aren't about to give up their entire livelihood in order to make a political statement.