PDA

View Full Version : 20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS

MacRumors
Aug 19, 2013, 02:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/)

Between July 2012 and June 2013, 20% of Apple's customers came from the Android operating system and 7% of Samsung's new customers during the time period switched from an iOS device, according to a new report from CIRP (http://www.cirp.net).

The majority of iPhone purchases came from customers who previously owned an iPhone, with 42% of customers already in Apple's ecosystem. The same holds true for Samsung, with 43% of former Android customers choosing to stick with the Android platform.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/previousos.jpg
Both companies attracted former basic phone users, though Samsung attracted a good deal more at 37% vs. Apple's 26%. New phone buyers were more likely to choose a Samsung phone.

When taking into account only customers who switched brands, 33% of Apple's new customers came from Samsung, while just 11% of Samsung's new customers came from Apple. Samsung attracted more customers from HTC, Motorola, and Nokia, while Apple garnered more BlackBerry users.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/brandswitch.jpg
The study also found that customers who purchased iPhones tended to be younger than those who purchased Samsung phones. 69% of those that bought an iPhone were between the ages of 18 and 34 compared to only 64% of Samsung buyers. Apple buyers had a slightly higher income, with 38% reporting an income over $75,000 compared to 29% of Samsung buyers. 48% of Apple buyers also had a college degree, compared to 32% of Samsung buyers.

CIRP's data comes from four quarterly surveys between July 2012 and June 2013, and with each survey, 500 subjects who purchased a mobile phone in the preceding 90 days were queried.

Article Link: 20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/)

Mactendo
Aug 19, 2013, 02:27 PM
Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!...

SJism23
Aug 19, 2013, 02:28 PM
The study also found that customers who purchased iPhones tended to be younger than those who purchased Samsung phones.

But… Samsung's ads told me that only old people and parents use iPhones.

Ventilatedbrain
Aug 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
I can't explain why I am happy when I hear good news about apple .. That being said ... I do believe that the underdogs are making very decent phones these days and them being underdogs makes them try this much harder :)

Go apple

Aussi3
Aug 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
Because the s4 isn't as good as they thought and its all gimmicks

tbrand7
Aug 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
But… Samsung told me in their ads that only old people and parents use iPhone.

Samsung lies!

w0lf
Aug 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
I am the 69%.

robjulo
Aug 19, 2013, 02:31 PM
Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!...

Out of curiosity, why do you say that is as if your favorite sports team has just one something, or as if you've accomplished something personally?

MonstaMash
Aug 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
I see it happen every day in my job. Honestly speaking, many customers are choosing Android simply due to the screen size. Many customers need the large size of the S3 or S4 due to their eyesight. Some choose it for productivity reasons.

It's sad seeing so many people leave iOS for such a trivial reason, and a reason that Apple could easily remedy.

Good to know that the Apple churn isn't as high as I thought though. 7% isn't terrible, but it is something Apple could fix by diversifying their product line with more options.

ValSalva
Aug 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
It's not surprising that a lot of people buying their first smart phone would choose Samsung/Android. Many purchase primarily based on price and what the workers in the carrier stores sway them towards.

Once they've owned Samsung/Android I'd guess many either give up and don't use the 'smart' features of the phone (thus the disproportionately lower web usage numbers despite market share) or switch to iPhones. I wonder what demographic is going from iPhones to Samsung/Android?

TheRealTVGuy
Aug 19, 2013, 02:37 PM
So the smart money is on Apple! Nice...

And NO, they don't need to produce a giant screen size just to appease/appeal to a certain segment.

Sodner
Aug 19, 2013, 02:38 PM
Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!...

Out of curiosity, why do you say that is as if your favorite sports team has just one something, or as if you've accomplished something personally?

I think Mactendo summed it up perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Unggoy Murderer
Aug 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
Apple buyers had a slightly higher income, with 38% reporting an income over $75,000 compared to 29% of Samsung buyers. 48% of Apple buyers also had a college degree, compared to 32% of Samsung buyers.

Well, that could explain a lot...

To be honest, I'm quite surprised at the number of people coming from Android, though. There seems to be so much more "that's it, I'm going to Samsung!" posts than "I'm climbing aboard the Mothership." posts.

Northgrove
Aug 19, 2013, 02:40 PM
I'm actually surprised so many choose Samsung. If I were to pick an Android phone, it would be a Google Nexus 4 or Moto X. Those huge, plastic Samsung Galaxy S's where you're updated at Samsung's whim... Uggh.

Unggoy Murderer
Aug 19, 2013, 02:40 PM
More like he's just delighted that there's more hard evidence to back up what virtually everyone has been downplaying for the last year. *stares

jycr753
Aug 19, 2013, 02:41 PM
Well this is good news, but I do actually feel kinda disappointed since apple will make a low end phone. Apple is changing all his values and trading it for market share, just for selling a low end phone, even tho there is such thing now, it is call iphone 4, which it has a great quality... so right now Steve Jobs is really piss off looking at his company signing his own for sale sign...:eek:

sportsfan
Aug 19, 2013, 02:51 PM
I would guess a good number of people only buy their phones based on price, and do not care about the manufacturer or buying apps.

While as an Apple shareholder I would like those people to buy an Apple phone, I really do not consider these as a "win" for the competition as these customers provide no extra revenue after purchase/contract.

Technarchy
Aug 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
Well this is good news, but I do actually feel kinda disappointed since apple will make a low end phone. Apple is changing all his values and trading it for market share, just for selling a low end phone, even tho there is such thing now, it is call iphone 4, which it has a great quality... so right now Steve Jobs is really piss off looking at his company signing his own for sale sign...:eek:

What low end phone?

empire01
Aug 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
I've stuck with Apple because I much prefer IOS over Android. Having said that I hate the 16:9 form factor and wish they have retained the 4:3 form factor when they enlarged the screen.
I have a big investment in Apple iphone apps but just wish for a larger (not enormous) screen.
Not sure if I'm the exception here but hay ho.

HenryDJP
Aug 19, 2013, 02:56 PM

Sigh, let it go. It's better that more people can get an iPhone in their hands than it being known as a boutique item that not everyone can afford.

Another thing, let it go also Steve Jobs. For goodness sake, you don't know his MO and the man is dead. Sure, a dead is Pissed Off about how his previous company is marketing it's phones. :rolleyes:

techpr
Aug 19, 2013, 03:01 PM
Be ready for the 5C and 5S (Gold) those numbers will be up ;)

jycr753
Aug 19, 2013, 03:02 PM
Sigh, let it go. It's better that more people can get an iPhone in their hands than it being known as a boutique item that not everyone can afford.

Another thing, let it go also Steve Jobs. For goodness sake, you don't know his MO and the man is dead. Sure, a dead is Pissed Off about how his previous company is marketing it's phones. :rolleyes:

I do understand the business model, and probably it is going to be a good thing for developers, a least when it comes to ad supported app, but only time will tell if it is a good move or not, but i'm absolutely getting a cheap iPhone to for going out and dont break again my iPhone :rolleyes:

----------

What low end phone?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324747104579022993954766508.html:D

sclawis300
Aug 19, 2013, 03:03 PM
percentages don't mean anything.

Northgrove
Aug 19, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hmm, I have to wonder about this. Back when Steve Jobs was in charge, Apple hadn't quite seen this problem with dropping profit margins develop. It's a nice thought to simply move the earlier iPhones into the cheaper segments, but that doesn't make them any cheaper to build. I wonder what he would have done here. I think chances are that things wouldn't have been all too different.

One other option might be to sell the 5S even more expensive than the 5's introduction price, keep the 5 price, drop anything below 5 and then move on like that. That seems like a "bordering on too bold" Jobs move, but also what you might get from a guy with insane confidence in his products.

JGIGS
Aug 19, 2013, 03:09 PM
I'd like to know how many iphone users went to htc one and the LG nexus 4. The HTC one seems like the hotest android device at the moment. S4 still seems like a great device but I agree that some of the touchwiz features are getting a little gimicky.

lunaoso
Aug 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've stuck with Apple because I much prefer IOS over Android. Having said that I hate the 16:9 form factor and wish they have retained the 4:3 form factor when they enlarged the screen.
I have a big investment in Apple iphone apps but just wish for a larger (not enormous) screen.
Not sure if I'm the exception here but hay ho.

Not to nitpick but it was 3:2 before. :p ;)

Well, that could explain a lot...

To be honest, I'm quite surprised at the number of people coming from Android, though. There seems to be so much more "that's it, I'm going to Samsung!" posts than "I'm climbing aboard the Mothership." posts.

That's because most people that prefer an easier apple experience don't post on forums. We are the minority.

GenesisST
Aug 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
I've always said that the best phone is the one you prefer. I don't care that people are switching... You guys don't need to be have your preference validated by a chart, do you? If so, then I pity you.

AppleVsAndroid
Aug 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
hmmm :eek: but :confused:

bearda
Aug 19, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'd like to know how many iphone users went to htc one and the LG nexus 4. The HTC one seems like the hotest android device at the moment. S4 still seems like a great device but I agree that some of the touchwiz features are getting a little gimicky.

Having owned a Nexus 4 and switching to an S4 I'll say that most of the TouchWiz features are gimmicky for sure. The upside is that you can turn them off and it's still a great device that does what I need.

The Nexus 4 is a cool device for attracting new users, but it's shortcomings became apparent pretty quick for me. That said, I switched to another Android device instead of back to an iPhone because of the things I liked about the Nexus 4.

jycr753
Aug 19, 2013, 03:27 PM

Actually my gf move from a HTC One to Nokia Lumia 920, and she is happier than ever with a windows phone ...:eek:

Technarchy
Aug 19, 2013, 03:36 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324747104579022993954766508.html:D

No what is the name of this so called low end product? Specs? RAM? Screen size?

What exactly makes it low end? Like exactly?

driceman
Aug 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/)

Between July 2012 and June 2013, 20% of Apple's customers came from the Android operating system and 7% of Samsung's new customers during the time period switched from an iOS device, according to a new report from CIRP (http://www.cirp.net).

Both companies attracted former basic phone users, though Samsung attracted a good deal more at 37% vs. Apple's 26%. New phone buyers were more likely to choose a Samsung phone...

When taking into account only customers who switched brands, 33% of Apple's new customers came from Samsung, while just 11% of Samsung's new customers came from Apple. Samsung attracted more customers from HTC, Motorola, and Nokia, while Apple garnered more BlackBerry users.

Article Link: 20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/20-of-apple-iphone-customers-switched-from-android-7-of-samsung-buyers-switched-from-ios/)

Sounds to me like people see the Samsung ads and choose a Galaxy, then dislike their phone and choose an iPhone instead. :P A friend of mine is switching from an S3 to an iPhone because he hates his phone. He's told me his is unreliable for phone calls and he'd prefer a more straightforward, reliable phone. Plus he's seen how satisfied I am with my iPhone 5. :D

B4U
Aug 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
Oh boy...
Angry fandroid incoming in 1, 2, 3...

olowott
Aug 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
seems the battle is still hot, next year will make a serious change

introducing
Firefox OS
Ubuntu OS

While
Blackberry fades out

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2013, 03:48 PM
I see it happen every day in my job. Honestly speaking, many customers are choosing Android simply due to the screen size. Many customers need the large size of the S3 or S4 due to their eyesight. Some choose it for productivity reasons.

It's sad seeing so many people leave iOS for such a trivial reason, and a reason that Apple could easily remedy.

Good to know that the Apple churn isn't as high as I thought though. 7% isn't terrible, but it is something Apple could fix by diversifying their product line with more options.

Most of the bigger screens I have seen have a smaller font size set then my iPhone 4S...

blackcrayon
Aug 19, 2013, 03:53 PM

The rumors suggest Apple isn't making a low end phone, just a lower-cost-than -iPhone-5 phone. Look at the iPod mini. Wasn't a piece of junk but was lower cost than the iPod, and really exploded in sales.

Cuban Missles
Aug 19, 2013, 03:56 PM
From my own personal experience, there are many reasons people choose a particular phone. Different people have different needs. Different people have different preferences. Different people have different biases. And then there is the carrier sales people who try to influnce the purchase. In the end what this is saying is that people get into the smartphone in different ways, but it is interesting that that there a lot more people leaving android for apple than the other way around.

riay388
Aug 19, 2013, 03:57 PM
Can anyone link me to the actual report of CIRP's?

I want to find out more information. I'm interested in stuff like this.

Thanks!

youdidntreadit
Aug 19, 2013, 04:05 PM
What exactly makes it low end? Like exactly?

Pride and ego. It is no longer as exclusive. That is pretty much the gist of those complaining about the so called low end phone.

shartypants
Aug 19, 2013, 04:11 PM
Sounds about right.

StarPower
Aug 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
So Samsung buyers are unintelligent, poor morons who don't know any better....

.... sounds about right.

And yes when I bought my current POS GSIII I was being an unintelligent, price-conscious moron. :D

Jibbajabba
Aug 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
Yet another nonsense comparison. Device vs. OS and OS vs. Company.

Why is that Frontpage ? Its like comparing Sony VAIO and Linux.

firewood
Aug 19, 2013, 04:15 PM
No what is the name of this so called low end product?

"Low end" is relative. A bigger Tiffany's has some lower priced bling on one end of the store that the staff tries to move your focus away from to the more profitable bling at the other end of the store (if you look like you can afford it). The big box plastic junk store has some higher priced junk in nicer boxes on the shelves to make their typical customers think they are getting a better deal buying more of the regular junk on the next shelf.

VanillaCracker
Aug 19, 2013, 04:23 PM
So I guess no one else noticed that they are comparing people switching to iOS from only Samsung. If they were to compare people switching from iOS to android (all brands, not just samsung) then the percentage would be much high in Android's favor...

But yes, from Samsung to Apple, it's true samsung doesn't have as many coming in. But from iOS to Android, that's a different story.

auero
Aug 19, 2013, 04:23 PM
So Samsung buyers are unintelligent, poor morons who don't know any better....

.... sounds about right.

And yes when I bought my current POS GSIII I was being an unintelligent, price-conscious moron. :D

You sound so childish. People buy what works for them. There are plenty of satisfied customers.

macnisse
Aug 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
How about some stats for us that use both ios and android phones... iphone5=daily driver, nexus4=backup ;-)

bushman4
Aug 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
Point of interest : gene Minster has been wrong more times in his predictions than is believable. He is a true ANAL-IST in the real sense. Paying attention to his posts is a waste of time

Enough said

kas23
Aug 19, 2013, 04:40 PM
These switching numbers is merely just a function of Android having a greater market share. Due to the large multitude of Android phones out there, there is a much greater probability of switching away from one of them. A greater number of switch events is likely proportional to cellphone owners.

Oops, just released this is only counting Samsung. These numbers are meaningless.

blabliblu
Aug 19, 2013, 04:49 PM
I hate iPhones. But I still have an iPhone 5, don't care about the ****** uninnovative upcoming iPhone 5S and C, and I'm disappointed by iOS7.

The problem is Samsung still sells disgustingly ugly pieces of plastic crap with an awful Android OS. They do innovate more than Apple now but they lack of talented and rigorous industrial designers and interface designers.

MDJCM
Aug 19, 2013, 05:00 PM
I've met enough people and had enough conversations now to make a simple statement: I don't need to know or talk to people who decided it was good idea to go from an iPhone to an Android. It speaks volumes when you can't handle just settling for the better product. Something is off.

mac1984user
Aug 19, 2013, 05:05 PM
I wonder what demographic is going from iPhones to Samsung/Android?

I can only speak for myself and possibly a few friends, but we're late 20s in paid employment seeking greater features/screen size/customisability and a faster overall experience. I switched from an iPhone 4 to Nexus 4. Another of my friends went over to the HTC One from an iPhone 5 and my brother's girlfriend (30s-something professional) went from an iPhone 4S to a Galaxy 4. We're all generally happy with our moves. While I would never discount Apple, there are certainly things Android does better (more intuitively and smoother). That said, there's no replacement for iMovie, sadly. In any case, the number of people I know switching from Apple is greater than the other way around. Perhaps it's due to stagnant hardware and operating systems? Maybe this will change with iOS 7 and new iPhone models. There was a time I'd have considered a move back, but the price is unjustifiable for me. £280 with no costly contract is too sweet of a deal. A £16 monthly bill is so nice. =)

AppleVsAndroid
Aug 19, 2013, 05:09 PM
I just know one thing doctors, lawyers and business people are buying :apple:
I do not know what the rest of the herd is doing. They are poor, dumb. I am sure many are (not all) :p
Spamdroids says :apple: users have ego. I say they are dumb. People are either jealous of success or they are scared to go near it :D

akm3
Aug 19, 2013, 05:17 PM

For me it's because I own AAPL stock.

Mwa-hahaha!

ValSalva
Aug 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
I can only speak for myself and possibly a few friends, but we're late 20s in paid employment seeking greater features/screen size/customisability and a faster overall experience. I switched from an iPhone 4 to Nexus 4. Another of my friends went over to the HTC One from an iPhone 5 and my brother's girlfriend (30s-something professional) went from an iPhone 4S to a Galaxy 4. We're all generally happy with our moves. While I would never discount Apple, there are certainly things Android does better (more intuitively and smoother). That said, there's no replacement for iMovie, sadly. In any case, the number of people I know switching from Apple is greater than the other way around. Perhaps it's due to stagnant hardware and operating systems? Maybe this will change with iOS 7 and new iPhone models. There was a time I'd have considered a move back, but the price is unjustifiable for me. £280 with no costly contract is too sweet of a deal. A £16 monthly bill is so nice. =)

I am not familiar enough with Android to comment of its intuitiveness. But screen size is definitely a factor to be considered. I think Apple will release a bigger iPhone with decreased screen resolution to avoid 'fragmentation' at some point, probably in 2014. But in the meantime Apple will lose customers who want bigger phones.

iMacBooked
Aug 19, 2013, 05:22 PM
I am not familiar enough with Android to comment of its intuitiveness. But screen size is definitely a factor to be considered. I think Apple will release a bigger iPhone with decreased screen resolution to avoid 'fragmentation' at some point, probably in 2014. But in the meantime Apple will lose customers who want bigger phones.
Exactly. Definitely the screen size is what matters here.

cdmoore74
Aug 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
I wonder if people realize that Motorola and HTC folks may be jumping over to Samsung. Or what about Apple folks jumping over to the HTC One or Motorola X. At the end of the day it's Apple vs Android; not Apple vs Samsung. What will people say if LG takes over Samsung or if HTC makes a come back?
So many of you guys/girls are failing to see the big picture. It's also Samsung vs HTC vs Motorola vs LG vs Sony. Thats 5 major players trying to steal customers from each other and Apple.

adildacoolset
Aug 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
I'm actually surprised so many choose Samsung. If I were to pick an Android phone, it would be a Google Nexus 4 or Moto X. Those huge, plastic Samsung Galaxy S's where you're updated at Samsung's whim... Uggh.

Samsung: keep a plastic design, slap on a new processor, flood it with gimmicks, and try to convince the world with aggressive marketing that the specs and gimmicks are worth it.

Their success lies in their marketing. Of course, people will realize that it's not what the hype was about. This type of growth doesn't look like it can be sustained, unlike apple.

Casiotone
Aug 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
I'm not surprised. A good chunk of the Android phones sold over the last few years are cheap crippled phones that shouldn't even be called smartphones.

You know, the ones that Android apologists only acknowledge when talking about marketshare, but never when talking about the quality of the Android experience and ecosystem support.

These phones don't do anything to encourage their users to stay with Android, which more than probably did not invest themselves in the ecosystem (because their phones are crippled, use old versions of Android and are sold/given with very limited data plans).

If anything, those crippled Android featurephones are actually encouraging their users to choose an iPhone when they do decide to get a "real smartphone" and leaves them with a bad aftertaste about Android.

Porco
OK, my brain hurts now.

Percentages of sales of iPhones sold between July 2012 and June 2013 compared to sales of Android phones in the same period. um… sales figures are where though (in the report I guess?)?

And the percentage of a subset of Android sales (Samsung sales) compared to the total sales of iOS device sales… why?

I am confused.

So 20% of something and 7% of another thing that isn't directly comparable and … wait, what if, like someone I know, they switched to one, hated it, and switched back? Now my brain is frying.

I understood around 35% of this actual post myself, though a further 23.5% made sense to me at some point.

uhhh… Go Apple! … ? Maybe! I think...

springsup
These figures are useless. 7% of Samsung's customers may be many more people than 20% of Apple's customers.

OneMike
Aug 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
Honestly I think the galaxy s4 is better than the iPhone 5 as s3 was better than 4s. That's hardware though. I just can't use android as my phone os. I need ios.

cdmoore74
Aug 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
So I guess no one else noticed that they are comparing people switching to iOS from only Samsung. If they were to compare people switching from iOS to android (all brands, not just samsung) then the percentage would be much high in Android's favor...

But yes, from Samsung to Apple, it's true samsung doesn't have as many coming in. But from iOS to Android, that's a different story.

Exactly. It's like saying that more people are switching from a Ford Mustang (Samsung S4) to a mini cooper (Apple 5) not taking into account that the big three auto makers (Google) have over 100 models combined. And that some of those mini cooper customers are now buying Chevy Camero's (HTC One).
Apple has already lost. They need to invent a game changer; not iPhone 20, not iPad 16 and not some plastic iPhone.

LaDirection
Aug 19, 2013, 06:22 PM
I can't explain why I am happy when I hear good news about apple .. That being said ... I do believe that the underdogs are making very decent phones these days and them being underdogs makes them try this much harder :)

Go apple

That's not good news at all.

Android has 80% of the market, iOS 20%. 20% of Apple's 20% is 4% of the overall market.

7% of 80% is 5% of the overall market.

In other words, MORE people switch to Android than they do to iOS.

Di4mondz
Aug 19, 2013, 06:22 PM
Keep in mind that Samsung has extremely low-end phones with Android that meet the bare minimum to become an Android phone. Not everyone uses their flagship phones. Also, Samsung releases many phones in a year and not just their flagship Galaxies. Compared to Apple, they only have iPhones released yearly at a cost of about $700. See where I'm trying to get at?

Rocketman
Aug 19, 2013, 06:24 PM
Since Android is about 80% of the market, this means 5.6/100 switched to iOS and 4/100 switched to Android.

5.6/4=1.4. That's net positive for Apple.

Rocketman

thefrustum
Aug 19, 2013, 06:42 PM
A new smartphone user is more likely to choose Samsung’s Android phone over Apple’s iPhone, but he/she is more likely to switch to Apple’s iPhone and is more likely to stay with the iPhone thereafter!

http://thefrustum.com/blog/2013/8/19/another-day-another-ios-vs-rest-survey

donutbagel
Aug 19, 2013, 07:19 PM
How come I'm never surveyed for these things? Oh yeah, because they only asked 500 people :rolleyes:

Klae17
Aug 19, 2013, 07:20 PM

Oh did you speak to Steve jobs lately? How ridiculous. He approved this phone in his FIVE YEAR PLAN.

Apple is doing it for money and profit. For example, I rather have 2 sales profiting 1.50 each for a total of $3 versus one sale for a total of $2 profit.

More people in the ecosystem means more iTunes and App Store sales and even more hardware sales. I'm glad you're not making the executive decisions.

donutbagel
Aug 19, 2013, 07:23 PM
Samsung: keep a plastic design, slap on a new processor, flood it with gimmicks, and try to convince the world with aggressive marketing that the specs and gimmicks are worth it.

Ugh, those Samsung SAFE ads hurt my eyes. Samsung For Enterprise because Samsung phones are "safe". Why? They never explain why. They just say that they're SAFE and safe and that iPhones get hacked.

----------

Oh did you speak to Steve jobs lately? How ridiculous. He approved this phone in his FIVE YEAR PLAN.

Am I the only one wondering what will happen to AAPL's share price exactly 5 years after Steve Jobs's death?

AaronEdwards
Aug 19, 2013, 07:25 PM
Without actual sales figures too, this is meaningless.

Comparing the percentages between two companies with different sales figures is like comparing apple and oranges.

To make a point:

100% of of the customers of Company A makes $300,000+/year.
10% of of the customers of Company B makes $300,000+/year.

Company A has 10 customers, so 10 of its customers make $300,000+/year.
Company B has 200 customers, so 20 of its customers make $300,000+/year.

donutbagel
Aug 19, 2013, 07:27 PM
Without actual sales figures too, this is meaningless.

Comparing the percentages between two companies with different sales figures is like comparing apple and oranges.

To make a point:

100% of of the customers of Company A makes $300,000+/year.
10% of of the customers of Company B makes $300,000+/year.

Company A has 10 customers, so 10 of its customers make $300,000+/year.
Company B has 200 customers, so 20 of its customers make $300,000+/year.

Well it means something, just not the data you appear to be looking for. It's probably bogus anyway, especially with only 500 surveyed.

paulsdenton
Aug 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
They've tried the rest, now try the best.

cameronjpu
Aug 19, 2013, 08:49 PM
Given Apples incredibly strong customer retention rate, the goal at Apple should be to increase the likelihood of getting the customer in the first place.

While I think that the iPhone 5C Is essentially aimed at China and India, you would wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to market it into the United States to try to get those first time smartphone buyers.

Right now, customers must buy a two-year-old model to get into the iPhone ecosystem. Meanwhile, android can offer them a cheap current model for free. The user is much more likely to stay within whatever ecosystem he starts in, so Apple needs to compete harder for the first time buyer.

mogwat
Aug 19, 2013, 09:03 PM
A pointless argument. They're phones. I have 4 Macbooks of different flavours in the house, 2 iPads (wife and Child), ATV and a time machine. I am on my 3rd Android phone because I hate the restrictions on iOS devices. I shouldn't have to jailbreak a device to make it do what I want! Contrary to what has been said on this thread every app I want is available for Android. If I ever need a Tablet then apps will be an issue and I will have to deal with iOS but until then it's Android all the way I'm afraid.

Chatter
Aug 19, 2013, 09:39 PM

I have similar anecdotal evidence. A cpl ppl I know got the Note due to bad eyesight. Again, its anecdotal but I agree that this is something that Apple can easily fix.

dannyyankou
Aug 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
48% of Apple buyers also had a college degree, compared to 32% of Samsung buyers.]

That education paid off.

clibinarius
Aug 19, 2013, 10:04 PM
I would guess a good number of people only buy their phones based on price, and do not care about the manufacturer or buying apps.

While as an Apple shareholder I would like those people to buy an Apple phone, I really do not consider these as a "win" for the competition as these customers provide no extra revenue after purchase/contract.

I bought my sister an S4 (She didn't want an iPhone) and I have an iPhone 5. Anyone who is buying an S4 isn't doing it because it is cheaper than an iPhone. It isn't. This is absolute nonsense.

Krimsonmyst
Aug 19, 2013, 10:13 PM
I bought my sister an S4 (She didn't want an iPhone) and I have an iPhone 5. Anyone who is buying an S4 isn't doing it because it is cheaper than an iPhone. It isn't. This is absolute nonsense.

It's something Apple zealots try to preach - that Android phones are cheaper and therefore inferior.

In reality, a Galaxy S4 or a HTC One will set you back about the same (ballpark) as an iPhone (at least, they do here in Australi), and flagships make up the large majority of these manufacturer's sales (S3, S4), while their feature phones/low end handsets are a very small minority.

VTECaddict
Aug 19, 2013, 11:11 PM

It's something Apple zealots try to preach - that Android phones are cheaper and therefore inferior.

In reality, a Galaxy S4 or a HTC One will set you back about the same (ballpark) as an iPhone (at least, they do here in Australi), and flagships make up the large majority of these manufacturer's sales (S3, S4), while their feature phones/low end handsets are a very small minority.

Of course cheaper isn't referring to the flagship Galaxy S3/S4/Note devices. Samsung makes a number of Android phones that are carrier branded, carrier specific or sold by the cheap prepaid carriers for like $200 or less no contract. That's what people are talking about with the "cheap" Samsung/Android phones.

Technarchy
Aug 19, 2013, 11:33 PM

I own both.

Price was absolutely not a factor.

macs4nw
Aug 20, 2013, 12:17 AM
Well, that could explain a lot….To be honest, I'm quite surprised at the number of people coming from Android, though. There seems to be so much more "that's it, I'm going to Samsung!" posts than "I'm climbing aboard the Mothership." posts.

I strongly suspect, many of those are idle threats, but if they do, power to them!

Lower priced phone does not (and in this case, definitely will not) mean low-end phone.

Don't be so pessimistic; Apple is not going to hell in a handbasket, yet. They're seizing a fantastic opportunity to increase market penetration --with it's incumbent iOS ecosystem penetration-- without sacrificing quality.

MGMetz327
Aug 20, 2013, 01:46 AM

Personally, I have apple stock… So its a win! Got to support my investment!

mac1984user
Aug 20, 2013, 01:58 AM
Right now, customers must buy a two-year-old model to get into the iPhone ecosystem. Meanwhile, android can offer them a cheap current model for free. The user is much more likely to stay within whatever ecosystem he starts in, so Apple needs to compete harder for the first time buyer.

Yes. This is yet another reason why a slightly more competitively priced new-model iPhone is needed. When I was on the market to replace my iPhone 4, I was shocked to find that a new iPhone 4 cost more off-contract than a 16GB Nexus 4. Considering the processing power of both (which is necessary, I'm afraid), it becomes a clear decision. I've been so frustrated at Apple's decision to simply continue selling archaic models for 'cheap' as an alternative to offering decent - albeit not the best - hardware at a lower cost. For instance, the Nexus does not compare to the HTC One or S4 in terms of overall quality (camera, lack of 4G). Some sacrifices were made to minimise the cost to the end user, but the result is a really fast operating system that has ample features and at half the price of the iPhone 5. I would have been happy paying £100 more for an iPhone, but £300, no. It's a bit of an insult to expect me to pay more for a phone with an 800Mhz (or 600Mhz?) processor (iPhone 4 - please correct me on detail) than the Nexus. Part of the reason I was in the market for a new phone was because of how slowly the OS was operating on the iPhone 4 and because of a broken power button (fairly common, it seems). Yet there was no offering in my price range for an off-contract phone that Apple could satisfy. And when one is willing to spend £350-£400 on a phone, that seems like a bit of lost opportunity in my eyes.

aloshka
Aug 20, 2013, 02:25 AM

Android has 80% of the market, iOS 20%. 20% of Apple's 20% is 4% of the overall market.

Let's not choose random numbers like android has 80% of the market share. You cannot make a point by randomly choosing numbers and further trying to complicate it with more random numbers.

Also, the interesting thing is the sample for this is stupid. It's based on 500 people. That's like having a sample of 2 people. One chose Samsung, the other chose apple and then post and say there is 50% that choose apple and 50% choose samsung.

----------

How come I'm never surveyed for these things? Oh yeah, because they only asked 500 people :rolleyes:

Exactly!!

Macist
Aug 20, 2013, 02:53 AM
Cheap smartphones have now totally replaced feature phones on even cheap contracts and most of these are Android.

Mac OS X still only has small market share because millions of Windows machine are dumped into offices to run Word and the company database. Mac OS X doesn't suffer from being a niche product. It wipes the floor with Windows.

Android always feels like using one of the better desktop Linux distros to me. At first glance laden with features but somehow not pleasing to use all day long compared to iOS.

kopitedavo
Aug 20, 2013, 03:36 AM
i'd give a samsung or htc 1 a go if their software for macs had anyway decent reviews

mrxak
Aug 20, 2013, 03:45 AM
A sample size of 500 is not terrible. Of course, you always want more, if you have the money to get more, but 500 will definitely tell you plenty. The margin of error is quite reasonable for a survey that size. There is clear statistical significance between 20% and 7%, or 33% and 11%.

mike.longden
Aug 20, 2013, 05:36 AM
It's not surprising that a lot of people buying their first smart phone would choose Samsung/Android. Many purchase primarily based on price and what the workers in the carrier stores sway them towards.

Once they've owned Samsung/Android I'd guess many either give up and don't use the 'smart' features of the phone (thus the disproportionately lower web usage numbers despite market share) or switch to iPhones. I wonder what demographic is going from iPhones to Samsung/Android?

I would guess that it is the demographic that is inteligent enough to realise that apple is over priced and only gives you access to a fraction of the potential of their products.

AaronEdwards
Aug 20, 2013, 06:31 AM
Well it means something, just not the data you appear to be looking for. It's probably bogus anyway, especially with only 500 surveyed.

I guess I would have preferred if they had asked another 500 to 1000, but as long those 500 were picked correctly the margin of error would be below 5%, so I wouldn't call it bogus if that's the case.

KentuckyHouse
Aug 20, 2013, 07:17 AM
I just know one thing doctors, lawyers and business people are buying :apple:
I do not know what the rest of the herd is doing. They are poor, dumb. I am sure many are (not all) :p
Spamdroids says :apple: users have ego. I say they are dumb. People are either jealous of success or they are scared to go near it :D

The irony in this post is incredible. :rolleyes:

bbeagle
Aug 20, 2013, 07:34 AM

The Android zealots try to preach that openness is better too, which for a very few is good, but for the vast majority is not. No matter what phone you buy, you're stuck in that phone's ecosystem and can only do what the software and operating system for that phone allows you to do.

mac1984user
Aug 20, 2013, 08:12 AM
Android always feels like using one of the better desktop Linux distros to me. At first glance laden with features but somehow not pleasing to use all day long compared to iOS.

I can see your point here, but I'd say it feels slightly more like a Windows OS experience than Linux. When I think of Linux, I think of a lot of Linux applications that are meant to mimic applications found on Mac and Windows, but that seem to exist too much in the Linux bubble (if that makes any sense). The issue with Android is that added functionality will likely only happen if you download an app from the Play Store. These can be hit or miss and basic tasks often take a few more steps. For instance. If I want to drag something off my Nexus to my Mac, I could do it using the Android File Transfer utility, BUT that utility causes all USB devices to hang the trackpad upon being plugged in for about five seconds. Therefore, every time I want to transfer from Android to Mac, I have to reinstall/uninstall the program. There are ways around this without relying on AirDroid (which is an extremely slow transfer solution for large files), but they take extra steps like turning your phone into its own WiFi access point and then linking your Mac's wireless to that network to explore the phone's files.

It can be a real hassle sometimes, but the unintended effect can be as rewarding as it is cumbersome. For instance, I found a wonderful way to transfer files directly from my phone to my iPad without relying on a shared WiFi network, NFC, USB or Bluetooth. So, part of the joy and headache of Android is in the hunt/discovery of useful utilities. I haven't quite made up my mind which environment I prefer, but I would say the experience is more like long-term usage of Windows and long-term usage of Mac OS. iOS is much more locked down than Android and can be frustrating on those grounds if, for instance, I want to navigate the file system or use an application other than those recommended to open/edit a file. That said, like Windows, Android can feel a bit clinical to operate in after a while and the green tint to most Android phones can be unbearable. I have an overlay that increases the blue hue slightly so I don't feel like I'm going to vomit. Apple certainly got that right.

cheesyappleuser
Aug 20, 2013, 08:21 AM
Not new. Always interesting to see Apple to snatch a lot more users from Android though. More if it wasn't for the ridiculous prices in Europe.

BaldiMac
Aug 20, 2013, 08:38 AM
Honestly I think the galaxy s4 is better than the iPhone 5 as s3 was better than 4s. That's hardware though. I just can't use android as my phone os. I need ios.

It's funny that people always compare this way, even though the S3 was released closer to the iPhone 5 and the next iPhone will be released closer to the S4. :)

Since Android is about 80% of the market, this means 5.6/100 switched to iOS and 4/100 switched to Android.

5.6/4=1.4. That's net positive for Apple.

Rocketman

Except the statistics were for Samsung, not Android as a whole. (And I suspect US only, even though the article does not say that.)

In reality, a Galaxy S4 or a HTC One will set you back about the same (ballpark) as an iPhone

That's just a mis-characterization of the argument.

and flagships make up the large majority of these manufacturer's sales (S3, S4), while their feature phones/low end handsets are a very small minority.

And you just made that part up.

Let's not choose random numbers like android has 80% of the market share. You cannot make a point by randomly choosing numbers and further trying to complicate it with more random numbers.

Also, the interesting thing is the sample for this is stupid. It's based on 500 people. That's like having a sample of 2 people. One chose Samsung, the other chose apple and then post and say there is 50% that choose apple and 50% choose samsung.

You'd be surprised how few people you need to have reasonably accurate results as long as your respondents are a sufficiently random sample of the larger population.

A sample size of 500 is not terrible. Of course, you always want more, if you have the money to get more, but 500 will definitely tell you plenty. The margin of error is quite reasonable for a survey that size. There is clear statistical significance between 20% and 7%, or 33% and 11%.

Exactly.

ricosuave
Aug 20, 2013, 08:44 AM
percentages don't mean anything.

Next time you're negotiating a loan, make sure you mention this to your banker!

appleii.c
Aug 20, 2013, 08:56 AM

Apple IS my favorite sports team!

GO APPLE!!

Mactendo
Aug 20, 2013, 09:02 AM
More like he's just delighted that there's more hard evidence to back up what virtually everyone has been downplaying for the last year. *stares
Exactly! :D

----------

It's my favourite computer team ;)

phr0ze
Aug 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
Strangely, looking at chart 1, More Android users stay with android than ios users stay with ios.

Its close though, but looks like android is retaining more users.

jmerchlinsky
Aug 20, 2013, 09:07 AM
Sloppy reporting. This is a survey limited to the US market. Let's be clear. Apple is doing great in the US market where the cost of the phone is hidden in your data fees and they get twice the subsidy of their competitors. Apple is struggling in the World market where typically the customers has to purchase the phone separately, and competitor's phones are much more affordable.

Mactendo
Aug 20, 2013, 09:08 AM
I think Mactendo summed it up perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Thank you, pal )

Digital Skunk
Aug 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
That education paid off.

Not much. Given that most college students have issues with going into debt and spending money on things that may not pay off in the long run e.g. tuition, iPhones, etc. /jk

----------

Pretty soon i am gonna join the 20% club of the iPhone users..i am just fed up with my Samsung Galaxy S plus..the config is great on paper but when it comes to handling tasks..it sucks..i guess iPhone's are just the best..was using the 4S and gonna switch back to it.

You'd have to be dense to compare a Galaxy S plus to an iPhone 4s.

Also, handling tasks is the most bizarre way of criticizing a device. The iPhone handles FAR LESS TASKS than an Android phone, and what the iPhone does well an Android will do just the same . . . . because most of the apps are agnostic. So far the iPhone handles only two things well, Apple specific apps, and having a small screen.

BaldiMac
Aug 20, 2013, 09:14 AM
Strangely, looking at chart 1, More Android users stay with android than ios users stay with ios.

Its close though, but looks like android is retaining more users.

It does not show that at all.

phr0ze
Aug 20, 2013, 12:56 PM
It does not show that at all.

Sure it does. Previous OS of Samsung phone buyers is Android at about 43%. Previous OS of iphone buyers is iOS at about 42%.

So a greater percentage of users stay android than ios.

topper24hours
Aug 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
I do understand the business model, and probably it is going to be a good thing for developers, a least when it comes to ad supported app, but only time will tell if it is a good move or not, but i'm absolutely getting a cheap iPhone to for going out and dont break again my iPhone :rolleyes:

----------

I think his point was.... in a pig's eye is the iPhone 5C a "low-end" phone.. Budget, for sure- but as inbetween 4S and 5, neither of which are low-end... it sounds like a mid to high end device @ an inexpensive price point.

BaldiMac
Aug 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
Sure it does. Previous OS of Samsung phone buyers is Android at about 43%. Previous OS of iphone buyers is iOS at about 42%.

So a greater percentage of users stay android than ios.

No, it doesn't. The graph shows where purchasers are coming from. Not where they are moving to.

To use your numbers, the 42% of iPhone buyers that are coming from iOS could be 100% of all iOS users that are buying new phones. The graph does not specify.

What you are looking for is a graph that shows which OS iPhone users choose when they buy a new phone. Compared to Android phone users.

Digital Skunk
Aug 20, 2013, 01:33 PM
I think his point was.... in a pig's eye is the iPhone 5C a "low-end" phone.. Budget, for sure- but as inbetween 4S and 5, neither of which are low-end... it sounds like a mid to high end device @ an inexpensive price point.

I am game for an iPhone 5C, but its not going to be a high end device at an inexpensive price point. That would be a total oxymoron. In other words, it's not going to be a 5S in a plastic body, or even a 4S in a plastic body.

If Apple can do such a thing, why charge a premium for glass?

I hope the 5C is the limited toned down iPod Touch with a cell antennae and 8GB of storage that one can just pay $300 off contract for.

macs4nw
Aug 20, 2013, 01:54 PM
…..Apple is struggling in the World market where typically the customers has to purchase the phone separately, and competitor's phones are much more affordable.

A discrepancy, the 5C is meant to address.

topper24hours
Aug 20, 2013, 06:05 PM
I am game for an iPhone 5C, but its not going to be a high end device at an inexpensive price point. That would be a total oxymoron. In other words, it's not going to be a 5S in a plastic body, or even a 4S in a plastic body.

If Apple can do such a thing, why charge a premium for glass?

I hope the 5C is the limited toned down iPod Touch with a cell antennae and 8GB of storage that one can just pay $300 off contract for.

Hmm, I guess all that I can tell you is to read specs rumors more closely. It sounds like the 5C will have the screen of the 5, with the processor & camera of the 4S. That DEFINITELY puts it between 4S & 5 (as reported here).
I would consider a 4S a mid-end phone, personally... certainly a phone even BETTER than that, I'd have a hard time calling "low-end".

adnbek
Aug 20, 2013, 06:12 PM

You're incorrect sir. Most Android devices sold worldwide are the low-end models. The flagships are actually the small minority of sales of devices sold if you look at global sales. Perhaps dollar-wise you are right as the low-end stuff don't bring in much profit, but number of devices sold? Not true at all.

It may seem not to be the case from personal observation if you live or work in areas with higher wealth where all you see are premium devices all around you: iPhones, GS4, HTC Ones and iPads, but the great majority of the world are buying the lower end stuff which explains the marketshare numbers we see every other week around here.

itjw
Aug 20, 2013, 08:08 PM
So iPhone users (on average):

Make more money
Are better educated
AND are younger

Shocker...

But on the downside we can't bang our phones together to transfer stuff. That's the real point everyone is missing. It's really depressing.

That and plastic. Lots and lots of plastic. It never "scuffs" I am told...

Iconsonly
Aug 20, 2013, 10:03 PM

I products reload every time you switch from your web browser so duhh

ValSalva
Aug 21, 2013, 04:37 AM
I products reload every time you switch from your web browser so duhh

Yeah, that's the reason Android web usage numbers are low compare to iOS :rolleyes: You don't know what you are talking about.

Digital Skunk
Aug 21, 2013, 07:20 AM
Hmm, I guess all that I can tell you is to read specs rumors more closely. It sounds like the 5C will have the screen of the 5, with the processor & camera of the 4S. That DEFINITELY puts it between 4S & 5 (as reported here).
I would consider a 4S a mid-end phone, personally... certainly a phone even BETTER than that, I'd have a hard time calling "low-end".

I agree, it's not going to be a low end phone at all. But Apple won't be able to charge $200 or even $300 unsubsidized for a phone that's better than a 4s.

FatLip
Dec 26, 2013, 04:30 PM
Samsung lies!

and Apple does not?

Sony and Samsung make parts for apple,
not to mention Finger recognition home buttons existed for 10 years,

a lie is something someone tells people to conceal the truth, the simple truth is capitalism and American innovators are responsible for bringing better competitive products to the public every time while tons of ideas float around in Asia, and since the get go, we bring light upon how to use these innovations, how to present them and how to live with them daily, no offense to anyone in Asia, we love them and Apple is living proof, we even sell their own inventions back to them with ways to use them better then they ever imagined, why again? ...because Capitalism works in this area very well.

ill be honest about one thing that bugs me today about apple, and that is i love to have a7 inch tablet phone, not a iphone and a tablet and a iMac like now, may of been clever of apple to make a bang for the buck but i use google and i think i love the nexus google 32gb android phone more then our 3 iPhones and the 900 dollars of apps and accessories i paid for over the years., i dont even need to buy a google compatible calendar ( i am linked to several work accounts) a task manager app or anything more., even has angry birds etc., camera and brighter then retina display.

aloshka
Dec 26, 2013, 04:33 PM
and Apple does not?

Sony and Samsung make parts for apple,
not to mention Finger recognition home buttons existed for 10 years,

a lie is something someone tells people to conceal the truth, the simple truth is capitalism and American innovators are responsible for bringing better competitive products to the public every time while tons of ideas float around in Asia, and since the get go, we bring light upon how to use these innovations, how to present them and how to live with them daily, no offense to anyone in Asia, we love them and Apple is living proof, we even sell their own inventions back to them with ways to use them better then they ever imagined, why again? ...because Capitalism works in this area very well.

ill be honest about one thing that bugs me today about apple, and that is i love to have a7 inch tablet phone, not a iphone and a tablet and a iMac like now, may of been clever of apple to make a bang for the buck but i use google and i think i love the nexus google 32gb android phone more then our 3 iPhones and the 900 dollars of apps and accessories i paid for over the years., i dont even need to buy a google compatible calendar ( i am linked to several work accounts) a task manager app or anything more., even has angry birds etc., camera and brighter then retina display.

I think a 7 inch tablet/phone may be a bit of a niche market. A 4.5-5 in screen on a phone is more feasible and would sell. Otherwise use skype on an ipad mini. It would be awful as a phone. How would you even hold that thing to your ear?

pickaxe
Dec 28, 2013, 07:46 AM
But… Samsung's ads told me that only old people and parents use iPhones.

But... MacRumors told me iPhone isn't just for the young and impressionable!

aloshka
Dec 28, 2013, 10:43 AM
And Google told me that they use hardware to track you now and will give you "personal" advertisements. Google has finally defeated privacy!!!