Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanNL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Hong kong
For me. Screen real estate.
I switched iPhone 4 from a 2g little screen Sony.
And then I'm using note 1, and now I m waiting for Xperia z ultra

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I bought a Nexus 4 and 7 back in February because I thought it was time to try Android. Was happy for a few months and then I started getting bored. I started wanting an iPad because I would see pictures of apps that looked better on the iPad then they did on the Nexus 7 I had.

I finally bought an iPad back in June and it was the best decision I have ever made. Had I bought the iPad Mini first, I never would have thought of buying a Nexus 7. I want to sell my Nexus 4 and 7 now.

I've also been using my 4S now as my main phone again. Too bored with the Nexus 4. It's not all about bigger screens and specs if the app quality isn't there.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I have been using both Android & iPhones since the very beginning. For me it's the ideal solution. Having the best of both worlds I enjoy the various experiences and stay well informed via first hand experience.

Each have their strengths and I don't have a desire to declare which is the best. In addition my years of experience reveal what many overlook... And that's there is no perfect smartphone. Each and everyone of us has a choice. It doesn't get any better than that.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Screen estate is the no1 consideration. Also, it helps that today's android phones have surpassed ios in terms of usefulness/customizability as well.

I still love ios and if the ipod touch were 5 inches , i would buy it instantly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Mostly out of boredom or wanting something to try something new. I am like this with most things in my life....cars, phones, computers, hair cuts, etc.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
What made me switch from a Nokia N97 running Symbian to an HTC Desire Z running Android is that the N97 software sucked. I was considering getting a Nokia E7, but after hearing some bad reviews about Symbian and the browser, I looked elsewhere. I tried the Desire Z at a store, mulled it over and then pulled the trigger on it. I've been on Android ever since.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Because it was $25 on contract. I didn't have the money to spare at the moment to go buy another iPhone and I couldn't cancel my data plan. I wasn't going to wait out 7 months with a half broken phone.

What is making me move back to iOS is that my S2's camera broke within a year. I cannot deal with a phone that has the camera lens made out of plastic. Stupid reason, sure, but dead serious.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
A mixture of complacency, curiosity, and knowing I can sell a phone online if I dont like it.

There was a time I tried 5 different platforms in a span of two months. I thought Windows Phone and WebOS UI were the most intuitive. I disliked Android at first and thought it looked like a cheap knockoff of iOS. This was before ever trying out Ice Cream Sandwich and then Jelly Bean. But then the lack of apps started to sink with WP and webOS was R.I.P. by that point with terrible hardware. And the complacency of iOS started to sink it as well.

So I eventually started to like Android. It was like watching The Big Lebowski or Dr. Strangelove the first few times. Hardly laughed. Then the quotes and outrageous situations started to grow on me. I realized Android was truly brilliant. I will likely stick with them knowing it is the most flexible and open PS out there and their app catalog is the closest to iOS'. I no longer have the urge to try out more obscure OSes like BB10, Sailfish, or Firefox OS.

I'm generally bored of cell phones as a whole right now. Might try out a different hobby. Maybe go back into gaming. I will just stick to ONE platform, lessen the complications of being stuck or trapped into an ecosystem, and enjoy what I like without restrictions. And even if I preferred an ecosystem, I wouldnt mind being married to a Sony/Google one instead of Apple or Microsoft. Right now Android is my mobile platform of choice even if I know it isnt perfect. But if I can put up with Windows XP for nearly a decade then I can put up with Android for the rest of THIS decade. Google user for life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.