PDA

View Full Version : iOS7 is the slowest operating system I've ever used.

Spooner83
Aug 19, 2013, 03:27 PM
I installed it earlier & I want to downgrade to iOS 6. Simple texting cn't keep up with my texting speed like iOS 6 can, & also navigating through my iPhone & closing out multitask apps in the menu. It lags! The speed cant keep up with iOS 6. I'm slowly moving toward Android. iOS7 looks like Android & I feel like its helping me get use to Android, not stay with Apple. I mean the speed of everyday navigating through my iPhone is horrible on iOS7. Why is Apple failing at so many things lately? I know it's still in Beta but cmon, speed is a fix that they can solve in a day. It's already close to the Golden Master release. They shouldve fixed this by now. This is so frustrating. I already miss iOS6.

MacDawg
Aug 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
What phone are you using?

matttye
Aug 19, 2013, 03:29 PM
You said you know it's a beta, but the rest of your post contradicts that.

Spooner83
Aug 19, 2013, 03:29 PM
iPhone 5 64GB.

ionjohn
Aug 19, 2013, 03:31 PM
It's a beta you're not even supposed to try so walk out boy

Stupotpot
iPhone 5 64GB.

That's what I have and it works a dream. Sounds like you may want todo a fresh install? I've always OTA'd but this May speed things up.

TheKrs1
iPhone 5 64GB.
You're having a way different experience than me. My iPhone 5 on iOS 7 destroys my gf's iPhone 5 on iOS 6. Try a restore.

Stupotpot
Aug 19, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's a beta you're not even supposed to try so walk out boy

How do you know he isn't a developer??

MozMan68
Aug 19, 2013, 03:33 PM
That's YOUR experience...and probably because you didn't do the proper beta loading sequence. Runs PERFECTLY on my iPhone with zero lag.....iPad 2 is a different story. :rolleyes: Still smooth, but apps crash on occasion and lock up the device. No such issues on my phone though. Love it.

sik08amg
Aug 19, 2013, 03:34 PM
Clean restore with iCloud backup of b6 will kill 99% of the problems. Can't say I've even had a glitch since the latest update.

VSMacOne
Aug 19, 2013, 03:35 PM
I call crap. You posted the same thing after installing iOS6. Since you've decided to move to Samsung is this thread supposed to be your parting gift?

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 03:36 PM
All of the betas up until now was slow. Which is why I chose to delete it from my iPhone 5.

So, I will probably download the Grand Master.

Cougarcat

If he were a developer he'd know it's a beta...

Spooner83
I'm a developer for a firm. I did a fresh install. iOS7 lags. I want it to be fast but it cant keep up with a fast texting speed. Now I'm stuck with this operating system until I can find a downgrade firmware. Damn.

Brittany246
Aug 19, 2013, 03:37 PM
Ok... Then downgrade and wait until iOS 7 is released to the public in September.

Spooner83
Aug 19, 2013, 03:37 PM
I didn't post to be made fun of, I posted to make an issue aware that needs fixing. I'm not mad. Just frustrated that they take forever to fix little things. Remember iOS 6 beta & how Apple Maps was horrible but they released it to the public with it being that horrible? I bet they release this one with it being slow.

nooaah
Aug 19, 2013, 03:38 PM
I'm a developer for a firm. I did a fresh install. iOS7 lags. I want it to be fast but it cant keep up with a fast texting speed. Now I'm stuck with this operating system until I can find a downgrade firmware. Damn.

If you were a competent developer you'd know how to downgrade. You haven't even stated if you did a clean install or upgrade from an older OS. I don't trust you.

Intell
Aug 19, 2013, 03:40 PM
Have you used iOS 4.0 on an iPhone 3G?

Armen
Aug 19, 2013, 03:40 PM
Troll much?

matttye
Aug 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
I didn't post to be made fun of, I posted to make an issue aware that needs fixing. I'm not mad. Just frustrated that they take forever to fix little things. Remember iOS 6 beta & how Apple Maps was horrible but they released it to the public with it being that horrible? I bet they release this one with it being slow.

You need to report the problem to Apple, not to MR. Nobody on here can fix the issue.

VSMacOne

There's nothing to fix. This is not a released product. How hard is this to understand?

Chazz08
You said you know it's a beta, but the rest of your post contradicts that.

It's almost out of beta. Shouldn't have too many problems. I'm pretty tired of the "beta excuse" when it's only a few weeks out from being deployed. Oh well. Keep saying it. We don't really need to acknowledge anything is wrong. :rolleyes:

venetian-glass
It's almost out of beta? Uh oh.

richard6r
He's right in all respects.

Don't fool yourselves that iOS 7 actually runs faster than iOS 6. I had to restore back to 6.1.4 temporarily and immediately noticed that my phone responded faster , and this is coming from me using beta 6 WHICH is supposed to be the LAST beta.

Don't believe me? Go back to 6.1.4/6.1.3 and try it. There is a difference regardless if you want to notice it or not.

Chazz08
Aug 19, 2013, 03:42 PM
There's nothing to fix. This is not a released product. How hard is this to understand?

Obviously there is something to be fixed. Maybe he isn't a developer and wants a developer here to report it. You basically contradict yourself though when you say there's nothing to fix, but that it's not a released product yet.....It's not released because there's things to fix.

Rogifan
Aug 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
Obviously there is something to be fixed. Maybe he isn't a developer and wants a developer here to report it. You basically contradict yourself though when you say there's nothing to fix, but that it's not a released product yet.....It's not released because there's things to fix.

It's not a released product because it won't come out until new phones are announced.

GSPice
Aug 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
Wow.. there is so much fail in this I don't know where to begin.

Geckotek
Aug 19, 2013, 03:47 PM

But as you can see from everyone else's reply, you're wrong and it does not need fixing. Seems you've got issues unrelated to the beta and more likely related to a botched upgrade.

FYI, iPhone 5 64 GB here as well and I have no performance issues. A few bugs (expected in a beta), but no performance issues.

I suggest you do a fresh install.

venetian-glass
Troll much?

MR users don't like hearing bad things about Apple. They will tell on you. Better say something good.

Uh... iOS 7 is marvelous, it's the fastest I've ever used in life.

VSMacOne

It's not a released product because it won't come out until new phones are announced.

This. When iOS 7 GM comes out and it's still slow, THEN there will be something that needs fixing.

Geckotek
Aug 19, 2013, 03:50 PM
Obviously there is something to be fixed.

No, not obviously. What he is reporting is a performance issue that the rest of us are not experiencing. It's likely that the issue is related to his upgrade, not iOS 7 itself.

VSMacOne
MR users don't like hearing bad things about Apple. They will tell on you. Better say something good.

Here's the problem. Beta process is intended to be used for testing and bugs. It's not anywhere close to finished. Each beta comes with different issues. The final OPTIMIZED version won't be available until the GM. People's argument that "it's already in beta 6 it should be better by now" doesn't hold up.

kre62
I feel that beta 4 had faster animations. Im hoping the speed will be dialed up by GM. It would be great to have the animation speed in the ios7 promo video...

Geckotek
Aug 19, 2013, 03:53 PM

That may be true of some people, but not all of us. The truth is the title "slowest operating system" is clearly indicative of some other issue and is not true of the OS itself since most people are not having the same experience.

lcmazza
Aug 19, 2013, 03:54 PM
If you want Android because you think a beta OS lags, then wait and see... LOL

:rolleyes:

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 03:57 PM
Here's the problem. Beta process is intended to be used for testing and bugs. It's not anywhere close to finished. Each beta comes with different issues. The final OPTIMIZED version won't be available until the GM. People's argument that "it's already in beta 6 it should be better by now" doesn't hold up.

I understand that. When people don't acknowledge the fact that it is buggy and say its perfect, that's where they draw the line.

We're going to have to start doing some verification of claims here because it is far from perfect. If you can show me it's fast and perfect then I will believe you.

jacobss
Aug 19, 2013, 03:59 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1461218

Chazz08
Aug 19, 2013, 04:06 PM

And because there are things to be fixed. It's not finished. That's why it's still called "beta".

----------

This. When iOS 7 GM comes out and it's still slow, THEN there will be something that needs fixing.

I know you've been around awhile, but did the word "beta" slip your mind or something? It's a beta because it's not done and there ARE things to be fixed...Beta 6 was just that. An emergency release to fix an issue....

PBF
Aug 19, 2013, 04:07 PM
The OP is right, iOS 7 does lag, at least in its beta form.

The phone will not react to any gestures until the animations are 100% complete.

Here's how to check it for yourself:

1. Double-click the home button to trigger the multitasking switcher.
2. Look for the Mail app (or any app with scrolling space).
3. Tap on it and IMMEDIATELY start scrolling with your fingers uninterruptedly. Once again, make sure you start swiping with your fingers as soon as your tap on the Mail app in the multitasking switcher.

It will not scroll until the animation is 100% complete.

I hate iOS 7 for that. :mad::mad::mad:

Damolee
Aug 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
Isn't all of the debug stuff still running in the background up until this point? Wouldn't that cause slowdown?

Just a thought.

matttye
Aug 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
It's almost out of beta. Shouldn't have too many problems. I'm pretty tired of the "beta excuse" when it's only a few weeks out from being deployed. Oh well. Keep saying it. We don't really need to acknowledge anything is wrong. :rolleyes:

How do you know it's nearly out of beta?

lulla01
Aug 19, 2013, 04:10 PM
I hope they are purposely withholding the "full" version of the OS so it will WOW the public.

TheKrs1
Aug 19, 2013, 04:10 PM
The OP is right, iOS 7 does lag, at least in its beta form.

The phone will not react to any gestures until the animations are 100% complete.

Here's how to check it for yourself:

1. Double-click the home button to trigger the multitasking switcher.
2. Look for the Mail app (or any app with scrolling space).
3. Tap on it and IMMEDIATELY start scrolling with your fingers uninterruptedly. Once again, make sure you start swiping with your fingers as soon as your tap on the Mail app in the multitasking switcher.

It will not scroll until the animation is 100% complete.

I hate iOS 7 for that. :mad::mad::mad:
I followed your directions. Could not reproduce.

Zeeshee
Aug 19, 2013, 04:17 PM
Then try beta 7

Chazz08
Aug 19, 2013, 04:20 PM
How do you know it's nearly out of beta?

How do you not know? iPhone announced Sept. 10. Week before they release it to employees. Week before iPhone 5S goes on sell it's released to the rest of the public....

DerekS
Aug 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
I call crap. You posted the same thing after installing iOS6. Since you've decided to move to Samsung is this thread supposed to be your parting gift?

Very good catch!! A quick look at the OPs posts confirms he's a serial troll.

Thierry ba
Aug 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Then try beta 7

Where is beta7?

Op is right. iOS7 is bullsht. It lags lags lags.

Risco
Aug 19, 2013, 04:29 PM
He's right in all respects.

Don't fool yourselves that iOS 7 actually runs faster than iOS 6. I had to restore back to 6.1.4 temporarily and immediately noticed that my phone responded faster , and this is coming from me using beta 6 WHICH is supposed to be the LAST beta.

Don't believe me? Go back to 6.1.4/6.1.3 and try it. There is a difference regardless if you want to notice it or not.

The animations are faster in iOS 6, that is why you think it is quicker. In terms of the OS, 7 is light years ahead...

Armen
Aug 19, 2013, 04:31 PM

Let's take a look at the facts shall we?

- The General experience with users on this forum who have iOS 7 installed seems to be positive even with older hardware. For those having difficulty they ask for help with issues they are experiencing.

- What does the OP do? He complains, complains, throws in an Android comment and complains and not ONCE asks for help.

Carry on nothing to see here.

mavis
Obviously the OP never used iOS 2.0 (what was it even called back then?) where application installs took several minutes and rebooting took even longer. iOS 7 is incredibly polished and ridiculously fast, by comparison.

Zerilos

If you've already moved to Android, just how is iOS 7 pushing you towards Android?

Thierry ba
Aug 19, 2013, 04:36 PM
The animations are faster in iOS 6, that is why you think it is quicker. In terms of the OS, 7 is light years ahead...

What is light years ahead? To me its just different skin for iOS6 which lags like hell.

matttye
Aug 19, 2013, 04:37 PM
How do you not know? iPhone announced Sept. 10. Week before they release it to employees. Week before iPhone 5S goes on sell it's released to the rest of the public....

As far I know it's all rumours at this point, nothing official...?

sk1wbw
Aug 19, 2013, 04:41 PM
I remember DOS on a cartridge. Slowest OS you've ever used? Really?

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 04:44 PM
>:i

richard6r
Aug 19, 2013, 04:53 PM

Exactly my point, it feels 10x slower and mundane to unlock your phone, WAIT a second or two, and then be able to tap an app. The app switcher on iOS 6 comes up within .1 second. Basically all the animations that are new to iOS 7 makes the whole experience kind of...bogged down. I know it isn't just me and everyone can attest to this.

nikicampos
Aug 19, 2013, 05:06 PM
I installed it earlier & I want to downgrade to iOS 6. Simple texting cn't keep up with my texting speed like iOS 6 can, & also navigating through my iPhone & closing out multitask apps in the menu. It lags! The speed cant keep up with iOS 6. I'm slowly moving toward Android. iOS7 looks like Android & I feel like its helping me get use to Android, not stay with Apple. I mean the speed of everyday navigating through my iPhone is horrible on iOS7. Why is Apple failing at so many things lately? I know it's still in Beta but cmon, speed is a fix that they can solve in a day. It's already close to the Golden Master release. They shouldve fixed this by now. This is so frustrating. I already miss iOS6.

Why do people encourage this kind of thread, three pages, pointless, please, in the future, let people complain about a "beta" but don't reply, it's that easy.

vigilant
Aug 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
Troll much? I don't see how you've ever worked in development and make the following statement.

I know it's still in Beta but cmon, speed is a fix that they can solve in a day. It's already close to the Golden Master release. They shouldve fixed this by now. This is so frustrating. I already miss iOS6.

If speed is something you can fix in a day, I'd encourage you to login using your developer credentials and fill out a bug report with the modifications you'd make in an 8 hour period that are being overlooked.

If you are a developer, I'd encourage you to do a full clean restore. When it asks you if you want to restore from your backup on iCloud or iTunes, click no. My iPhone 5 32GB has been running as fast as iOS 6. The first 2 beta's had horrible slowness issues but they have for the most part disappeared. Biggest issues I've seen are application specific.

BlockEight88
Aug 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
To everyone sitting here saying its in beta, it's going to be slow and lag, that's one thing. But the fact that iOS 7 beta 6 still lags and is just as slow as beta 2 and 3 says a lot. There is no way the GM version will be a smooth as iOS 6. I even think on the iPhone 5s its going to hiccup occasionally. They have a lot of optimizing to do.

Once its publicly available, everyone will be crying and asking how they can downgrade back to iOS 6. You guys mark my words.

They need at least another couple months to optimize it for the iPhone 4/4s and 5.

vigilant
Aug 19, 2013, 05:31 PM
To everyone sitting here saying its in beta, it's going to be slow and lag, that's one thing. But the fact that iOS 7 beta 6 still lags and is just as slow as beta 2 and 3 says a lot. There is no way the GM version will be a smooth as iOS 6. I even think on the iPhone 5s its going to hiccup occasionally. They have a lot of optimizing to do.

Once its publicly available, everyone will be crying and asking how they can downgrade back to iOS 6. You guys mark my words.

They need at least another couple months to optimize it for the iPhone 4/4s and 5.

Have you used it yet?

Other then the guy who started this topic with magical stories of single day of work fixing speed problems, I have had a pretty good experience on an iPhone 5.

iPad's have been a different matter. The iPad builds need some more love.

BlockEight88
Aug 19, 2013, 05:43 PM
Have you used it yet?

Other then the guy who started this topic with magical stories of single day of work fixing speed problems, I have had a pretty good experience on an iPhone 5.

iPad's have been a different matter. The iPad builds need some more love.

I wouldn't make a statement like that if I hadn't used it. Seems like its hit or miss with a lot of people. Some think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. For now, and probably a month or two from now I'll be sticking with iOS6.

Defender2010
Aug 19, 2013, 05:45 PM

I feel you are utterly wrong. iOS 7 is really fast on my iphone 5. Plus, betas contain debugging code which will make the device slower. Your post will only be revelant once the official build is out...though even then it will be wrong.

vigilant
Aug 19, 2013, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't make a statement like that if I hadn't used it. Seems like its hit or miss with a lot of people. Some think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. For now, and probably a month or two from now I'll be sticking with iOS6.

Greatest thing since sliced bread it is not.

There is some good spit polish before it's ready.

For me it's about as fast as iOS 6 for the most part.

More so then actual iOS 7 performance I am curious how the new multitasking model will work with many apps installed that use it.

nikicampos
Aug 19, 2013, 06:00 PM

Wow, what a statement buddy, there's not even a release day for iOS 7, minimum one month away and if by that time iOS 7 is not under Apple standards or even iOS 6 like, guess what, they don't have to release it until it's ready.

Mark my words, Apple will launch iOS 7 when it's ready and it will be at least as smooth and fast as iOS 6, MARK MY WORDS.

cpenner
Aug 19, 2013, 06:44 PM

Yes, iOS 7 is still in beta. Is it near release? Yes. But that's beside the point. Beta software still has debug code in it that will slow it down. I'm sure iOS 7 will feel just as polished upon public release as iOS 6 was.

And I dunno, iOS 7 is incredibly responsive on my iPhone 5. Still a tad laggy on my iPad 3, but to say "just as slow as beta 2 and 3" is just flat out wrong.

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 06:48 PM
Well it is an iOS in development.

cpenner
Aug 19, 2013, 06:48 PM

Their main focus isn't just trying to "fix" speed during the beta. It's also trying to improve functionality and reliability. You don't "fix" speed until everything else works reliably the way you want it to.

ntrigue
Aug 19, 2013, 06:52 PM

Hahaha this is wonderful!

cpenner
Aug 19, 2013, 06:55 PM
I installed it earlier & I want to downgrade to iOS 6. Simple texting cn't keep up with my texting speed like iOS 6 can

I'm a developer for a firm. I did a fresh install. iOS7 lags. I want it to be fast but it cant keep up with a fast texting speed

We get it, you're a fast texter. Go switch to Android so you can play with swype or something, although I'm sure Android betas won't let you show off your fast texting speed either... Or better yet, get a phone with a physical keyboard! Flex those fast texting muscles!

stuffradio
Aug 19, 2013, 06:56 PM
Have you used iOS 4.0 on an iPhone 3G?

I'm getting the same experience I did with iOS 4 on iPhone 3G as my iPhone 4 with iOS 7. I am upgrading next year because that's when my contract allows me. I have had the iPhone 4 since 2010.

Risco
Aug 19, 2013, 06:57 PM

Ladys and gentlemen we have been well and truly trolled. Time for the mod to throw this in the trash!

evorc
Aug 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
it's a beta you're not even supposed to try so walk out boy

:d

vigilant
Aug 19, 2013, 07:01 PM
Ladys and gentlemen we have been well and truly trolled. Time for the mod to throw this in the trash!

We have absolutely been trolled.

iOS 7 on iPhone 5 is pretty good.

My wife has been using it for a couple weeks and has had success.

iPad as I've said before is getting there just needs a bit more love.

uberpooter
Aug 19, 2013, 07:05 PM

Everyone in this thread who thinks this guy is wrong cleary hasn't put iOS 7 next to iOS 6 on two iPhone 5's. iOS 7 is indeed in beta, and is MUCH slower than iOS 6 in reacting to gestures, clicking the home button, leaving and entering applications. I can't believe how many replies are saying 7 is faster than 6 right now, it's pure opinion!!!!

It's frustrating as hell how slow it is, but I believe they will speed it up for GM. I noticed that in B5 i'm able to quickly tap an icon while exiting an app and it will blink, registering my touch, but not open until the first animation finishes. Where-as iOS 6 is INSTANT.

So, in short, thanks for making this thread OP. I haven't seen any complaints about it elsewhere and it's concerning.

-Pooter

Gutwrench
Aug 19, 2013, 07:11 PM
If you were a competent developer you'd know how to downgrade. You haven't even stated if you did a clean install or upgrade from an older OS. I don't trust you.

Wouldn't it depend on which platform he develops on? Maybe it's QBasic.

Mr. Retrofire
Aug 19, 2013, 07:18 PM
OK. He/she is a troll. It is obvious.

1080p
Aug 19, 2013, 07:22 PM
All of the betas up until now was slow. Which is why I chose to delete it from my iPhone 5.

So, I will probably download the Grand Master.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zf0lmx.jpg

KdParker
Aug 19, 2013, 07:24 PM

Thinking the same thing....this guys story doesn't add up.

vigilant
Aug 19, 2013, 07:24 PM
Everyone in this thread who thinks this guy is wrong cleary hasn't put iOS 7 next to iOS 6 on two iPhone 5's. iOS 7 is indeed in beta, and is MUCH slower than iOS 6 in reacting to gestures, clicking the home button, leaving and entering applications. I can't believe how many replies are saying 7 is faster than 6 right now, it's pure opinion!!!!

It's frustrating as hell how slow it is, but I believe they will speed it up for GM. I noticed that in B5 i'm able to quickly tap an icon while exiting an app and it will blink, registering my touch, but not open until the first animation finishes. Where-as iOS 6 is INSTANT.

So, in short, thanks for making this thread OP. I haven't seen any complaints about it elsewhere and it's concerning.

-Pooter

I want to be clear on something, the things you are saying come down to fit and finish of software. The things that the guy posted are comments made by someone probably bought his way into the beta with his udid or is making it up.

Interactions with objects as they animate and how the timing of that working isn't a major priority compared to all of the other moving pieces in this big os update.

I've beta tested software for years and things getting ironed out like that are just part of the process.

To say that all of the problems can be fixed in a single day shows either ignorance of development (probably shouldn't be beta testing then) or malicious intent.

Everyone absolutely has a right to an opinion. Everyone also has the right to be judged by the merit of their statements.

unobtainium
Aug 19, 2013, 07:25 PM

Beta software is often slow because it's running debug code in the background. The final release could be dramatically faster. There is really no way to know at this point, which is why his post is so uncalled for. His criticisms are way too premature. In his first post he stated that "slow speeds are something they can fix in a day" instantly revealing that he knows nothing about betas and likely isn't even a developer.

Also, I'm running b6 on my iPhone 5 and don't have any lag.

pottyvick
Aug 19, 2013, 07:27 PM
Image (http://i42.tinypic.com/2zf0lmx.jpg)

Greatest reply ever lol

unobtainium
Aug 19, 2013, 07:29 PM
But the fact that iOS 7 beta 6 still lags and is just as slow as beta 2 and 3 says a lot.

Except...it doesn't. Each beta (except the last one, which was just an iTunes hot fix) has improved speed dramatically. I don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

thejadedmonkey
Aug 19, 2013, 07:31 PM

Because any developer would know how much overhead debug code adds, and that naturally leads to a slower system.

ravenvii
Aug 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
Four pages?

Wow, successful troll is certainly quite successful.

NM08SRT8
Aug 19, 2013, 08:01 PM

Thread rating: *

Armen
Aug 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
I called him a troll early on and someone try to beat me with the fanboy stick.

ajvizzgamer101
Aug 19, 2013, 08:29 PM
iPhone 5 64GB.

I am using iPhone 5 16GB and I think it's the fastest mobile OS ever. But I think Beta 5 was better than Beta 6.

zeromarquee
Aug 19, 2013, 08:32 PM
Clean restore. Keep your iphone has less app on the background.

venetian-glass
Aug 20, 2013, 02:13 AM
I have a question guys.

Why is it that when people try to warn that iOS 7 GM won't be ready, they like to call troll?

That's not fair because its not trolling, just because you're mad.

Chazz08
Aug 20, 2013, 03:34 AM
As far I know it's all rumours at this point, nothing official...?

Official Sept. 10 event....

Defender2010
Aug 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
I called him a troll early on and someone try to beat me with the fanboy stick.

I called him a troll and was given a warning!

Armen
Aug 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
I called him a troll and was given a warning!

We should demand justice lol.

BvizioN
Aug 20, 2013, 01:43 PM

slower phone after ios 6

my phone is so slow after upgrading to ios 6. Siri never completes anything, she says i've had a problem. I think apples 4g iphone 5 is hogging all the bandwidth since its such a fast phone. Maybe i'm wrong but it seems my iphone 4s and alot of my friends with the same phone are having slow network speed and lack of siri. We all have verizon, live in orlando fl.

Anyone else have these issues?

I have screenshots of siri lagging, i'll post shortly

ios7 is the slowest operating system i've ever used

i installed it earlier & i want to downgrade to ios 6. Simple texting cn't keep up with my texting speed like ios 6 can, & also navigating through my iphone & closing out multitask apps in the menu. It lags! The speed cant keep up with ios 6. I'm slowly moving toward android. Ios7 looks like android & i feel like its helping me get use to android, not stay with apple. I mean the speed of everyday navigating through my iphone is horrible on ios7. Why is apple failing at so many things lately? I know it's still in beta but cmon, speed is a fix that they can solve in a day. It's already close to the golden master release. They shouldve fixed this by now. This is so frustrating. I already miss ios6.

Thierry ba
Aug 21, 2013, 04:49 AM
Wtf is debug code? I wonder how iOS6 betas with "debug code" were not laggy as hell.

jabingla2810
Aug 21, 2013, 05:33 AM
I can't believe the replies to this thread and the abuse the OP is getting.

This has been an issue since BETA 1.

It has nothing to do with processor speed, lag, specs, open applications etc.

It is a conscious decision by Apple to make the experience seem smooth and elegant. However it is a bad decision and will lead to frustration if it's not fixed before the GM, which, by the way, I think it will be.

The OP is VERY aware this is a BETA and he is VERY aware things change, however, after 6 BETA's he believes it is close enough to the final release to warrant some discussion, and I agree with him.

Yes it's only seconds, but for anybody who develops software, and by the looks of it not many in this thread do, you would know how important feedback to user input is. Why do you think the rubber banding that iOS uses at the end of lists became a massive deal last year when other companies wanted to use it?

I'm not saying this is a serious, "I'm going to Android!" type issue, and neither is the OP, but it IS an issue and this is the place to discuss those issues.

If this thread doesn't interest you then kindly sod off and stop making this a rather unpleasant corner of the internet.

Paradoxally
Aug 21, 2013, 05:42 AM
Y'all need to stop with the trolling statements. OP is right, regardless of the Android comment.

iOS 7 IS slow. It just is. I have an iPhone 5, and compared to iOS 6 it takes twice or more time to perform some animations. Unlocking, going back to the home screen, multitasking popping up.....it's very tedious after a while.

I honestly do not think they will fix these because they aren't really bugs. Apple wants smooth animations and they are. They're just too slow.

That's fine though...if Apple doesn't change the speed this will likely be the least widely adopted iOS once the public are able to get their hands on it. Most will realize the multitasking cards are just a gimmick and quickly revert back to productivity land (iOS 6) - regardless of how ugly it is.

Rogifan
Aug 21, 2013, 06:59 AM
How can people make blanket statements when not everyone is having the same experience?

Solomani
Aug 21, 2013, 07:01 AM
Betas + n00bs = teh fail

LOLZpersonok
Aug 21, 2013, 07:07 AM
I know it's beta too. I got it a while ago (but I went back to iOS 6, only because it was very buggy) and even though the animations were smooth with the odd lag here and there it was slightly slower. I have the iPhone 5 and my friend has a 5th generation iPod and he put iOS 7 on it it was notably slower than it was on my iPhone.

I'm sure they'll work that out of the system though.

ra4oasis
Aug 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
Y'all need to stop with the trolling statements. OP is right, regardless of the Android comment.

iOS 7 IS slow. It just is. I have an iPhone 5, and compared to iOS 6 it takes twice or more time to perform some animations. Unlocking, going back to the home screen, multitasking popping up.....it's very tedious after a while.

I honestly do not think they will fix these because they aren't really bugs. Apple wants smooth animations and they are. They're just too slow.

That's fine though...if Apple doesn't change the speed this will likely be the least widely adopted iOS once the public are able to get their hands on it. Most will realize the multitasking cards are just a gimmick and quickly revert back to productivity land (iOS 6) - regardless of how ugly it is.

You do realize that "most" people aren't going to have any idea how to revert back to iOS 6 right? If you honestly think most people will stay with iOS 6, or figure out how to revert back and then do so, I think you'll be disappointed. I'd bet a year from now, 90% or more will be on iOS 7, and maybe 1% of users will actually complain about the slowness. I know 5 people, other than myself, who have iOS 7 installed, and not one has complained about the slowness. They all love the OS, and are excited for everyone to be on it so features like Airdrop will be more widely available for use.

Thierry ba
Aug 21, 2013, 07:39 AM
I don't want fancy slow animations, I want snappy operating system. The op is totally right. It's better to install iOS7 cydia theme on iOS6 who fancy this.

staked
Aug 21, 2013, 09:22 AM

How are you an iOS developer and you don't know that you can downgrade to iOS 6 using iTunes? There's absolutely no "find a downgrade firmware" involved. :confused:

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 11:43 AM
Betas + n00bs = teh failThe post itself is an excellent illustration of that concept. Well done.

matttye
Aug 21, 2013, 03:41 PM
How can people make blanket statements when not everyone is having the same experience?

You should assume that everything someone posts is subjective unless they specifically say otherwise.

Beyinsis
Aug 21, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm a developer (not ios). I never use betas and never use X.0 versions. I'll wait for 7.0.1 at least 😉

Trius
Aug 22, 2013, 05:56 PM
Wtf is debug code? I wonder how iOS6 betas with "debug code" were not laggy as hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debug_code

Google FTW

----------

You people are hopeless. There's a reason why non-developers are not supposed to be using the betas.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 06:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debug_code

Google FTW

----------

You people are hopeless. There's a reason why non-developers are not supposed to be using the betas.And at least as far as animation durations are concerned, could that possibly be by design and not related to debugging, beta, or anything else?

Trius
Aug 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
And at least as far as animation durations are concerned, could that possibly be by design and not related to debugging, beta, or anything else?

Sure. But I do not agree that the animation durations will be any issue come GM. I think alot of what people are contributing to longer animation durations are really caused by the slight delay in the actual starting of the animations. I predict that once iOS7 is released, it will be just as quick, if not faster, than the current iOS6.

My point is, it's too early to make judgements like this. People that are involved in software development understand the steps that are required. The slowness issues that people complain about are moot points. It is not fully optimized for speed at this point.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 11:26 PM
Sure. But I do not agree that the animation durations will be any issue come GM. I think alot of what people are contributing to longer animation durations are really caused by the slight delay in the actual starting of the animations. I predict that once iOS7 is released, it will be just as quick, if not faster, than the current iOS6.

My point is, it's too early to make judgements like this. People that are involved in software development understand the steps that are required. The slowness issues that people complain about are moot points. It is not fully optimized for speed at this point.Assuming some of that is not by design. Too early to know for sure, as you said, but the possibility of it being by design is there and it's probably more than a minor one.

Tamagotchi
Aug 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
I love all the cockiness and superiority that users like to display in this forum:

Anonymous 1: If you were a developer you'd know this is a beta, duuuh.
Anonymous 2: I am a developer - ijustdontknowhowtodowngradewhenitsaseasyasdownloadingIOS6ipsw-thenALTrestore...
Anonymous 1: You like Android, so you are a troll, we "developers" and fanboys will bash you to the end :mad:

Come on guys. Let's cool it down. Who cares, really? Just from the comments it's obvious that most people here aren't devs either, but who cares?

PS: It's amazing how anonymity gives us all this sense of entitlement and that our opinions or ideas are superior and/or more knowledgeable than others'.

ross1998
Aug 22, 2013, 11:44 PM
I call bs, there is no operating system slower than windows vista;)

No, but seriously it's just a beta and save judgement till final release. Plus no one is telling you that you have to use ios 7, like my math teacher once said "the only thing you have to do is die someday". ( He says that whenever someone asks if we have to take notes)

downyball
Aug 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
How about this... last one to post in this thread wins!!!

C DM
Aug 23, 2013, 12:02 AM
I call bs, there is no operating system slower than windows vista;)

No, but seriously it's just a beta and save judgement till final release. Plus no one is telling you that you have to use ios 7, like my math teacher once said "the only thing you have to do is die someday". ( He says that whenever someone asks if we have to take notes)You might not have to, but likely as more and more apps become updated to be iOS 7 (and up) compatible you might actually need to depending on the apps you might need/want to use (not counting any other iOS 7 improvements/changes that you might need/want).

darster
Aug 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
I see his problem. If he would not have sold his iPhone 5 in March, it would have work. I think he tried installing on his Samsung. What a troll.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16997304&postcount=339

abshole765
Aug 23, 2013, 06:46 AM
The animations are what makes it slow. Sure they look nice but after so long they slow you down.

bobbysmith
Aug 23, 2013, 07:20 AM
Isn't all of the debug stuff still running in the background up until this point? Wouldn't that cause slowdown?

Just a thought.
All public betas are compiled with full optimization. This is a general rule in software development. You want to test the code that people will be actually running. Debug code differs from actual shipping code and so affects the software's behavior, as does differences in optimization.

Now you might have some minor monitoring and logging going on in the background, especially if something crashes, but it has no discernable impact on performance. If you want to see something slow, you should try a debug version of Windows. It will bring even the most powerful computer to its knees. Normal optimized betas however won't.

Sodner
Aug 23, 2013, 07:28 AM
I know internet forums have all types of people and one must accept this or just stop visiting sites such as this. But man, the complaining and whining that goes on here is hard to take some times.

I want a bigger screen!! Apple never innovates anymore!! I hate the icons!!
Gold phone? Apple is doomed!! Plastic phones? Cheap!! Ugly Colors!!
Steve would never let this happen!!

Just WOW.

Personally I've been on iOS 7 since Beta 2 on my daily driver and right now beta 6 is a hair (for those at home that's means SMALL) away from being a GM candidate. ie it's SOLID.

Let the complaining resume................

C DM
Aug 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
The animations are what makes it slow. Sure they look nice but after so long they slow you down.Thats more or less it. Hopefully it's more of a beta type of thing and not an actual design decision that will still be there when iOS 7 is final.

Gogurt48
Aug 23, 2013, 12:19 PM
The animations are what makes it slow. Sure they look nice but after so long they slow you down.

I don't mind how long the animations take, I mind that I can't interrupt them. When you unlock the phone, I think the animation where the icons seem to fall onto the screen like raindrops looks nice. But I have to wait until it finishes before I can swipe to the next page. I hope that in the GM I'll be able to interrupt the animation and swipe to the next page as soon as I want to. When I touch the screen, that should take precedence over any animation.

Trius
Aug 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
Assuming some of that is not by design. Too early to know for sure, as you said, but the possibility of it being by design is there and it's probably more than a minor one.

Anything is possible. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I have faith in Apple's designers. I trust they will ensure that it's a smooth, slick OS that's an improvement over the previous iteration. I understand people's concern, but this isn't Apple's first OS. I think they know what they're doing at this point. They are also using the OS and I doubt they would be satisfied with an update that slows everything down. But again, we need to revisit this topic in a few weeks..

munakib
Aug 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Anything is possible. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I have faith in Apple's designers. I trust they will ensure that it's a smooth, slick OS that's an improvement over the previous iteration. I understand people's concern, but this isn't Apple's first OS. I think they know what they're doing at this point. They are also using the OS and I doubt they would be satisfied with an update that slows everything down. But again, we need to revisit this topic in a few weeks..

I had faith in Apple Designers, until they outsourced it (through their marcomms team) to god knows which creative house!

iOS7 is definitely slow on my iPhone 4S (beta 6), and I dont have any high hopes for the final release as its almost showtime. I might just upgrade to an iPhone 5 (with iOS6) right after iOS7 with 5s is released (5's should definitely be a better bargain then).

The design elements are in many areas incoherent. Yes the multitasking app/control panel/notifications etc were brilliant/long due incorporations but i just dont feel the team had worked together; instead pieces were made separately and stitched together in a rush. Someone re-designed the Phone App (only knowing the preset color code), another person made the Music app and so on. Extremely immature coming from Apple IMHO.

glitch82
Aug 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
No, not obviously. What he is reporting is a performance issue that the rest of us are not experiencing. It's likely that the issue is related to his upgrade, not iOS 7 itself.

Not necessarily true. How do you know others aren't experiencing this? Also, it could be due to the data he has on this phone and bugs in the OS that are causing memory leaks, among other things, given his specific phone's configuration and data set.