Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gailcalder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
When to replace iMac air laptop battery? Mine is really holding charge for only two or so hours now.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is called "MacBook Air", as written on the bottom bezel. The "iMac" is a desktop computer.

As for the battery, how old is it and how do you use it and have you read this FAQ yet?

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
When to replace iMac air laptop battery? Mine is really holding charge for only two or so hours now.

Apple says about 1000 full cycles to 80% capacity which is around when you'd need to replace the battery. That could be several years for some and only a couple of years for others depending on usage.
The bottom line is, if your battery capacity is drastically less than when it was new, I'd take it into an Apple store (or to an Apple Authorized Seller or repair facility) and have them check it out. They will let you know if you do indeed need to replace the battery.
You might also download an app like coconutBattery which will tell you how old your Mac is and what the battery capacity is now compared to when it was new. You should also be able to get this information from the system report (click "About This Mac" in the black Apple on the upper left of the Menubar).

Last edited:

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
iMac Air... you just gave Apple their new entry level desktop idea.

gailcalder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
MacBookAir

Thanks for the links, the helpful responses and the jocularity. I forgot to mention that the laptop now feels very warm when it actually sits on my lap.'

I will have the local Appel guys check it out next week when I am in their "hood.

I purchased it (Macbook air) new in late Nov.2011 and use it pretty regularly, but not 1000 charges worth.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I just sold my 13" 2011 MBA about three weeks ago. It would still hold a charge good enough to get through a 12 hour day with a little sensible power management. I did a test recently with full screen brightness and a movie playing in iTunes. I got around 5 hours IIRC.

I don't know if this will help on the MBA, but it cured a bunch of issues on my 2008 MBP: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.