PDA

View Full Version : Why iOS 7 will drive some of you nuts: UI lag due to slow animations [video inside]

Pages : [1] 2

PBF
Aug 19, 2013, 05:05 PM
I've created this video for you to see how slow animations cause the UI lag.

The screen does not react to the finger swipes until the animation is 100% complete. The 1-2 second delay can surely drive you nuts, especially when you're in a hurry. It definitely affects your general workflow on the phone.

Unlocking screen is not the only place where it lags. Multitasking switcher is another one.

Anyway, here's the video, please note that the swiping speed is intentionally exaggerated in order to make it obvious how long the delay really is:

M6fRMy0zHoI

P.S. Here's another video of the multitasking switcher lag:

LZQC_W0c-C8

ionjohn
Aug 19, 2013, 05:09 PM
If it don't get fixed by the G.M, then it'll be a real issue, not that big of a deal tho since I hadn't even realized that probably like most people

iMacBooked
Aug 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
If it don't get fixed by the G.M, then it'll be a real issue, not that big of a deal tho since I hadn't even realized that probably like most people
True story. No fix = no update for me, and probably others will do the same.

g35
Aug 19, 2013, 05:16 PM
Using iOS 7 feels a bit like using a pogo stick to get around. It's fun to bounce around the backyard for 10 minutes, but less fun if you have to use it to get to the store a mile down the street.

I remember on a previous iteration of iOS. Big fuss was made about being able to press things while an animation was going on, now Apple seems to have tossed that out the window.

C DM
Aug 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
Looks like this discussion has already taken place: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1611268

PBF
Aug 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
I've uploaded another video that shows the lag within the multitasking switcher.

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
You should show the spotlight search lag. And the Control Panel and Siri.

And watch how hard it is to use folders.

Mrg02d
Aug 19, 2013, 05:40 PM
My 4s lags as well on ios6. The unlock isn't that big a deal. Multitasking kinda sucks though...

This is what the iPhone 5s will be for...More power for faster unlocks.

PBF
Aug 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
My 4s lags as well on ios6. The unlock isn't that big a deal. Multitasking kinda sucks though...

This is what the iPhone 5s will be for...More power for faster unlocks.
I don't think you understand the root of the problem; iPhone 5 has nothing to do with the lag, it's the iOS 7.

Currently, your swipes are NOT registered until the animations are 100% complete. Whether it's iPhone 4S, 5 or 5S, the swipes still will not register. iOS 7 is to blame, not the hardware.

Mrg02d
Aug 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
I don't think you understand the root of the problem; iPhone 5 has nothing to do with the lag, it's the iOS 7.

Currently, your swipes are NOT registered until the animations are 100% complete. Whether it's iPhone 4S, 5 or 5S, the swipes still will not register. iOS 7 is to blame, not the hardware.

Well ios6 on my 4s is the same way...Just slow down some. Name an application where one needs to be in such a rush?

PBF
Aug 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Well ios6 on my 4s is the same way...Just slow down some. Name an application where one needs to be in such a rush?
It's not apps, it's various situations where waiting the extra 2-3 seconds may not be an option.

batting1000
Aug 19, 2013, 06:10 PM

I've definitely noticed it because I'm used to the faster animations of iOS 6.

Di4mondz
Aug 19, 2013, 06:11 PM
OMG...Yes, Apple please fix this delay/lag. This is bugging the hell out of me, especially what is shown in the first video.

venetian-glass
Aug 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
It's just not that responsive. Most times when you touch something. Nothing happens.

Which is bad because its supposed to be a touch screen interface.

whocaresit
Aug 19, 2013, 06:17 PM

The screen does not react to the finger swipes until the animation is 100% complete. The 1-2 second delay can surely drive you nuts, especially when you're in a hurry. It definitely affects your general workflow on the phone.

Unlocking screen is not the only place where it lags. Multitasking switcher is another one.

Anyway, here's the video, notice how many swipes it takes to go to the next home screen after unlocking the phone:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=M6fRMy0zHoI)

P.S. Here's another video of multitasking switcher lag:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZQC_W0c-C8)

I would definitely suggest filing an official bug report to Apple. That way they will notice how serious this problem is. http://bugreport.apple.com

Mlrollin91
Aug 19, 2013, 06:23 PM
The multitasking lag is almost identical on iOS 6.1.3. There is also a delay with unlocking your phone on iOS 6.1.3, though not as long still present.

TheRainKing
Aug 19, 2013, 06:24 PM
It's not a bug, they just expect you to wait for the animation to fully complete before doing anything. They same problem existed when swiping between full screen apps on OS X but they eventually tweaked it after they found out it was annoying people.

Vegasryn
Aug 19, 2013, 06:36 PM
Not sure its lag because who uses their phone like that? Under normal use, I've never experienced it.

teknikal90
Aug 19, 2013, 06:38 PM
I myself am definitely annoyed by the unlock lag.
not sure who DOESNT use their phone like that....

uberpooter
Aug 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
Ah perfect, I just made a long reply in the other thread about iOS 7 being slow as dog ****. Glad you made these videos OP. But it'd be even better if we had iOS 6 next to it. It's insanely annoying how slow it is but I have faith.

Osullivan1
Aug 19, 2013, 07:18 PM
They seem to be fixing these issues now. Things like scrolling through folders before the animation finished work now, so I'd say these will be fixed before GM. Will defo be annoying though if not fixed.

adnbek
Aug 19, 2013, 07:37 PM
I sure hope they speed up the animations from what they are now. I recently restored my jailbroken phone in preparation for ios 7 and I think even 6 is painfully slow. I'm really hating the phone on stock after using fakeclockup (at 1.6x) for the past few months.... I'm so adapted to the fast animations that I find it currently unbearable at its current speed. :( I don't even understand why Apple even wants to artificially slow down the phone when it could be so much....ahem.... snappier by speeding up the animations.

If 7 is even slower, that really sucks.

peacenfunk
Aug 19, 2013, 07:45 PM
Who really swipes like that?

kre62
Aug 19, 2013, 07:48 PM
Beta 4 animations were faster.

I'm hoping for the animation speed of the iOS7 Video on apples website

thekingofnerds
Aug 19, 2013, 07:50 PM
That is a little nuts - there's a good quarter to a half second delay between the animation ending and the swiping. May not sound like a lot - but there's no reason for the delay.

Paddle1
Aug 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
Beta 4 animations were faster.

I'm hoping for the animation speed of the iOS7 Video on apples website

This: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/ is much faster, I hope it's that quick in the GM.

mKTank
Aug 19, 2013, 08:05 PM

People other than you. This whole "it doesn't apply to me therefore it shouldn't be fixed" mentality is annoying as hell and you should be ashamed.

bigpoppamac31
Aug 19, 2013, 08:07 PM

Anyway, here's the video, notice how many swipes it takes to go to the next home screen after unlocking the phone:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=M6fRMy0zHoI)

P.S. Here's another video of multitasking switcher lag:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZQC_W0c-C8)

Also, please note that the swiping speed is intentionally exaggerated in order to make it clear and obvious how awful the delay really is.

Okay in the first video you started swiping before the apps had all fallen into place. No wonder the page did not swipe to the next set of Apps. If this is in fact an "issue" then my only suggestion to Apple would be to have the option to turn off animations. Keep in mind that Apps fell into place in similar fashion in iOS 6 once the phone was unlocked.

Armen
Aug 19, 2013, 08:10 PM
The unlock lag is most apparent if you put every app in a folder. The screen unlocks and for a brief moment you can't do anything even if there is no animation to wait for. Try it

PBF
Aug 19, 2013, 08:16 PM
Okay in the first video you started swiping before the apps had all fallen into place. No wonder the page did not swipe to the next set of Apps. If this is in fact an "issue" then my only suggestion to Apple would be to have the option to turn off animations. Keep in mind that Apps fell into place in similar fashion in iOS 6 once the phone was unlocked.
You have to admit, the animation is still unacceptably slow.

Also on iOS 6, apps fall into place all at once, simultaneously, whereas on iOS 7, they fall into place one by one, kinda 'row by row'.

All Apple need to do is speed it up.

peacenfunk
Aug 19, 2013, 08:37 PM
People other than you. This whole "it doesn't apply to me therefore it shouldn't be fixed" mentality is annoying as hell and you should be ashamed.

Merry Christmas

E2EK1EL
Aug 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
The animation takes long to animate and there's processing lag which is shown in the videos, all takes away from the user experience of enjoyment.

The IP5 on iOS6 is super nice; the moment you tapped on anything, it's already loaded by the time you lift your finger off the screen.

Mrg02d
Aug 19, 2013, 09:44 PM

And Vice versa.

Mrg02d
Aug 19, 2013, 09:54 PM

And Vice versa.

TrenttonY
Aug 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
Also change the lock/unlock times.

jabingla2810
Aug 20, 2013, 12:24 AM
The multitasking video is how it works in iOS 6. It's because the apps aren't "running" in the background so they take a little time to get back into a "running" state. Nothing to fix there.

The unlock one however is infuriating when you live with iOS 7 and needs to be fixed. iOS 6 lets you swipe to other home screen pages before the animation is finished.

Tander
Aug 20, 2013, 01:26 AM
I wish these sort of threads would stop. It's BETA FFS. Unless we see GM release with these issues - stop bitchng.

matttye
Aug 20, 2013, 01:31 AM
Hmm one of those two things happens in iOS 6 too and I've never noticed it before, so I guess this wont affect me at all.

When you switch to an app using the app switcher it suffers the same lag, but when you unlock the device you can swipe about instantly.

Another one, is press the home button to minimise an app and try to scroll the home screens; it won't let you for about a second.

Grohowiak
Aug 20, 2013, 01:38 AM
And Vice versa.

With a difference that your approach leaves something that bothers people out while his makes (hopefully) apple to fix it and let others have a good experience while you stay unaffected.

Ignorance ain't a bliss dude.

lsutigerfan1976
Aug 20, 2013, 01:43 AM
Simple fix for the OP, you're holding it wrong! ;)

jabingla2810
Aug 20, 2013, 01:52 AM
I wish these sort of threads would stop. It's BETA FFS. Unless we see GM release with these issues - stop bitchng.

If we can't discuss these things here then where can we?

We all know what a BETA is, we all get that, so i suggest if you see a thread that isn't something you're interested in, just don't click it.

The unlock animation has been slow for all 6 BETA's, and as we get closer to the GM it's becoming a concern that either, Apple won't fix it, or more worryingly, Apple doesn't see it as a problem.

fabytmHD
Aug 20, 2013, 03:51 AM
Second one is not iOS 7 specific!It's what all iOS device do until they load the app!It's normal!

BlankStar
Aug 20, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have no clue why, but my 4S 32Gb doesn't have any lag at all...

Upgraded from iOS 6.1.1 to 7b1 and have been updating ever since, no clean installs or nothing. iPhone is filled for 29Gb's with loads of apps, pics, music, etc...

No animations lags anymore, the early beta's were slow, but now all the lag is gone, not for spotlight, unlocking, nothing...

Must say I have the parallax thingie disabled cause I don't like the background moving, and I disabled the background refresh feature to save battery.

TC03
Aug 20, 2013, 04:08 AM
Multitasking lag was present in iOS 6 as well.

I agree with the unlock animation.

----------

Who really swipes like that?Nobody, but the video shows that during an animation you could have easily swiped through three different screen. It shows that the delay is quite big.

Jack97
Aug 20, 2013, 06:43 AM
oh my what a huge issue! You have to wait a whole 2 seconds for your phone to unlock?!

get some perspective, man.

johnnyboy360
Aug 20, 2013, 07:00 AM
^ This was along the lines of what I was gonna say,

But yeah I see 100% why this is absolutely catastrophic and gonna ruin Apple's image. If you are held at gunpoint by robbers who say that unless you can beat their high score at Angry Birds (which is on page 9 of their iPhone, inside a folder) within 30 seconds, they will kill you. Those extra 2 seconds could make all the difference...

This "lag" has been present since beta 1. Why are you now complaining about it.

Paddle1
Aug 20, 2013, 07:02 AM
2 seconds builds up over time.

MacDawg
Aug 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
Meh, doesn't look like normal usage to me, and that is what the OS and UI are designed for

jabingla2810
Aug 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
^ This was along the lines of what I was gonna say,

But yeah I see 100% why this is absolutely catastrophic and gonna ruin Apple's image. If you are held at gunpoint by robbers who say that unless you can beat their high score at Angry Birds (which is on page 9 of their iPhone, inside a folder) within 30 seconds, they will kill you. Those extra 2 seconds could make all the difference....

When you live with iOS 7 it becomes annoying.

Sure we're talking first world problems here, but things should get faster as we move forward, not slower. And if you unlock your iPhone 30 times a day (And thats being VERY conservative) it adds up and it becomes annoying.

So if somebody hasn't mentioned something by now, we can never discuss it?

So what if the OP only now made this topic, so what, if you're not interested in it just move along.

PBF
Aug 20, 2013, 09:12 AM
Because I was quite certain that by around 5th or 6th beta, the issue would have been long resolved. :rolleyes:

Zerilos
Aug 20, 2013, 10:11 AM

This is a forum for iOS 7, which is in beta...how are people supposed to discuss non-beta issues with the OS? Perhaps petion MR to remove this forum if it bothers you that concerns are discussed here.

----------

The multitasking video is how it works in iOS 6. It's because the apps aren't "running" in the background so they take a little time to get back into a "running" state. Nothing to fix there.

The unlock one however is infuriating when you live with iOS 7 and needs to be fixed. iOS 6 lets you swipe to other home screen pages before the animation is finished.

True. I've noticed the same issue on my Note 8".

iphonehype
Aug 20, 2013, 10:13 AM
BUT.....ITD NOT GOLD :eek:

sandwicher
Aug 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
I'm on 6.1.4 and the unlocking or multitasking "test" produced on iOS6 is almost identical to the one you posted.

What lag are you talking about? Its been there even on iOS6. Nobody scrolls that quickly.

Mrg02d
Aug 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
When you live with iOS 7 it becomes annoying.

Sure we're talking first world problems here, but things should get faster as we move forward, not slower. And if you unlock your iPhone 30 times a day (And thats being VERY conservative) it adds up and it becomes annoying.

So if somebody hasn't mentioned something by now, we can never discuss it?

So what if the OP only now made this topic, so what, if you're not interested in it just move along.

So, 1min max time lost in a day then? Surely you jest?

jonnyb098
Aug 20, 2013, 11:20 AM

Impatient little child trolls like this one, thats who. Seriously I knew kids are much more ADD now a days, but this takes it to a whole new level.

Maybe some meds will help.....:D

whocaresit
Aug 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
Impatient little child trolls like this one, thats who. Seriously I knew kids are much more ADD now a days, but this takes it to a whole new level.

It's tens of millions of loyal long time iPhone users who are devastated by this unlock lag.:eek:

EricSjos
Aug 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
Beta 7 is being released today to fix this issue. Please be patient. :)

Geckotek
Aug 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
Meh, doesn't look like normal usage to me, and that is what the OS and UI are designed for

During day to day normal usage, this has not caused me any frustration. Only someone purposely testing it is truly going to be bothered....and probably even more annoyed now that they are so aware and focused on it.

rhett7660
Aug 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
OP,

Are you a beta tester on this? If so, have you submitted this "bug" to Apple yet?

Tyler23
Aug 20, 2013, 11:25 AM
Beta 7 is being released today to fix this issue. Please be patient. :)

We can only hope beta 7 is coming soon.

Fzang
Aug 20, 2013, 11:27 AM
So, 1min max time lost in a day then? Surely you jest?

Imagine if your mentality was implemented thirty years ago, and every year people would say "only 1 minute improvement on this new generation of hardware? Lets not waste our time with that"

Fast forward to today and you're waiting 30 minutes more to boot your device rather than 1 minute less.

Little strokes... ;)

Apollo 13
Aug 20, 2013, 11:30 AM
Omg I would not update if its like that. I went through this same problem on my jailbroken iPhone for a few days before finding out it was caused by one of the packages I installed. It was annoying.

neurodave
Aug 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
You have to be kidding me. An 0.5 second lag and you felt the necessity to not only moan about it, but also post it online?

Wow, talk about first world problems.

Not only is this a BETA (pre-release software which contains a plethora of bugs) but also....who uses their phone like that? Who actually does an app switch and at the same time tries to swipe around?

Some people are just ridiculous. If you don't like it, make your own mobile OS.

BvizioN

I don't use the phone like that either, it loosk like having a seasure or being on fire, lol. That said, the animoation is a bit slow but personally have not come accross a situation when I felt annoyed by it. Ideally animation speed should be adjusted to the user's preferences on the Accessibility section of settings. Just like the text size, reduce motion etc.

TreeDude
This thread is useless without the same demo on iOS 6. I have been using iOS 7 since beta 1 and the animations have yet to bother me.

canucksfan88
considering i've used iOS 7 since beta 1, and have never swiped like that....i don't think i will ever be driven nuts by that....

actually...now that i think about it...who the heck uses their phone like that!?:confused:

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 11:55 AM
With multiple threads on this very topic we already established and agreed on that there are extra animations in iOS 7 that last longer in duration. It's unclear if this might be something that will be changed by the time GM is released or not, as it's unclear if this is by design (basically to make things look more "cool"/"interesting" in some way--form over function) or not and is either due to some extra debugging code in betas and/or an actual bug of some sort.

At this point the only thing we can really do is wait and see what it will be like when the GM/final is out and what it looks like then (and even compare it what it will be like on the new iPhone model when it will be released). It's likely that it will be mostly the same where all of this was added for looks at the cost of some usability unfortunately. That's ultimately more or less all there's to it at this point.

Gogurt48
Aug 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
considering i've used iOS 7 since beta 1, and have never swiped like that....i don't think i will ever be driven nuts by that....

actually...now that i think about it...who the heck uses their phone like that!?:confused:

I do. If I know the app I want is in a folder on page 2, I start to swipe immediately after I unlock the phone. As the video shows, I have to do it several times before it takes. That annoys me, but I do expect that the GM won't have that lag.

If you recall, there used to be a similar lag when opening a folder. You had to wait for the animation to complete before tapping an icon. That usually resulted in one or two false taps. That lag was gone in beta 5. I think they'll optimize swiping, too.

teknikal90
Aug 20, 2013, 12:26 PM
oh my what a huge issue! You have to wait a whole 2 seconds for your phone to unlock?!

point is, it's not better than the product it is replacing - ios 6.

mKTank
Aug 20, 2013, 12:27 PM

That's quite a dumb reply you have there. The animations are slow OS-wide. It makes operating the phone a slower process than before. If anything, maybe you need some meds to speed up reaction time since you seem to have no problem with staring at animations for 3 seconds.

lazyprojector
Aug 20, 2013, 12:37 PM
I think he's just pointing out that the lack of interactivity during animations makes iPhone's appear slower compared to Windows Phones and Androids. The only thing that impressed me about the Windows Phone was the responsiveness. If that speed was carried over to the iPhone I would be ecstatic.

And as one of the earlier commenters noted with jailbroken mods, it is certainly possible.

cleo1
Aug 20, 2013, 01:00 PM
What is this thread about? Animation lag or not being able to interact with the UI until the animations are complete? Two completely different topics—the first is hardware: Remember beta 4 where the animations were sped up at the expense of smoothness? Even on the 5? This will be solved with the 5S, as someone already mentioned. What's funny is that when someone rebutted that not being able to swipe in-transition UI elements was a software issue, nobody noticed that the posters (indeed, all the posters on this thread) were talking about two separate issues. Usually the moderators are responsible for this type of mess due to thread consolidation. This time, they can be the instruments of reason and split the damn thing.

richard6r
Aug 20, 2013, 01:11 PM
What is this thread about? Animation lag or not being able to interact with the UI until the animations are complete? Two completely different topics—the first is hardware: Remember beta 4 where the animations were sped up at the expense of smoothness? Even on the 5? This will be solved with the 5S, as someone already mentioned. What's funny is that when someone rebutted that not being able to swipe in-transition UI elements was a software issue, nobody noticed that the posters (indeed, all the posters on this thread) were talking about two separate issues. Usually the moderators are responsible for this type of mess due to thread consolidation. This time, they can be the instruments of reason and split the damn thing.

The iPhone 5 is by no means slow, it shouldn't have this problem. Running a dual core 1.3gHz cpu should make the animations pretty smooth.

jonnyb098
Aug 20, 2013, 01:38 PM
That's quite a dumb reply you have there. The animations are slow OS-wide. It makes operating the phone a slower process than before. If anything, maybe you need some meds to speed up reaction time since you seem to have no problem with staring at animations for 3 seconds.

First off, the animations are not three seconds. Yes its slower and yes its annoying. However these videos are grossly exaggerated. No one swipes their phone that quickly.

portishead
Aug 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
iOS7 doesn't drive me nuts, I think it's great.

shandyman
Aug 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
Because I was quite certain that by around 5th or 6th beta, the issue would have been long resolved. :rolleyes:

This is a forum for iOS 7, which is in beta...how are people supposed to discuss non-beta issues with the OS? Perhaps petion MR to remove this forum if it bothers you that concerns are discussed here.

----------

True. I've noticed the same issue on my Note 8".

If we can't discuss these things here then where can we?

We all know what a BETA is, we all get that, so i suggest if you see a thread that isn't something you're interested in, just don't click it.

The unlock animation has been slow for all 6 BETA's, and as we get closer to the GM it's becoming a concern that either, Apple won't fix it, or more worryingly, Apple doesn't see it as a problem.

It can be discussed, but the title states that this is how it will be like once released, which is highly unlikely. The GM will have the tightened up and finalised code, where this problem will, most likely, be sorted. Taking a beta and saying its not gonna change is ridiculous.

Additionally, the builds for beta are quite further behind the internal builds being used, so are more likely to be tighter. Developers are given older builds to test their API.

It's been noticed in previous iOS betas, like iOS 5 and 6, that there was lag during the beta, which disappeared with GM. So this thread is mostly people getting their knickers in a twist, showing a video claiming that GM and final release will be laggy.

Additionally, the animations were sped up from beta 1, to 2 to 3, so there are things being done.

iCarabma
Aug 20, 2013, 01:47 PM
I agree with the OP!!!

If you paw at your phone like a crazed meth head the animations will RUIN YOUR LIFE!!!!!

Unlocking the phone 30 times a day will cost WEEKS AND YEARS!!!

This is time that you don't have because you will be DEAD soon, as Meth is very dangerous.

We could wait until it's out of BETA to freak out, but that is not the METH way!

Attack my brothers!!!!

Stupotpot
Aug 20, 2013, 02:02 PM
I certainly haven't noticed this delay from unlocking my phone and obviously don't use my phone in the same way.

That being said, I see the OP's point here...just because you personally don't demand action as soon as you unlock your phone doesn't mean that it isn't something which should be improved upon.

At the end of the day, you unlock your phone to carry out a task. You shouldn't have to wit for an animation to complete before you're able to do what you set out to do!

Let's see what the GM has to offer!

canucksfan88
Aug 20, 2013, 02:04 PM
I do. If I know the app I want is in a folder on page 2, I start to swipe immediately after I unlock the phone. As the video shows, I have to do it several times before it takes. That annoys me, but I do expect that the GM won't have that lag.

If you recall, there used to be a similar lag when opening a folder. You had to wait for the animation to complete before tapping an icon. That usually resulted in one or two false taps. That lag was gone in beta 5. I think they'll optimize swiping, too.

ahh that makes sense. i guess i've never had the need to immediately swipe, but i can see how that would cause annoyance.

i just tested it out, and i agree with you that i dont expect the GM to lag. if it does, i guess people will eventually get used to it

PBF
Aug 20, 2013, 02:17 PM
Everyone, please chill.

As stated in my original post: the swiping speed is intentionally exaggerated in order to make it obvious how long the delay really is:

:)

mKTank
Aug 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
First off, the animations are not three seconds. Yes its slower and yes its annoying. However these videos are grossly exaggerated. No one swipes their phone that quickly.

I do, and a lot of other people do, and that's why these threads exist. People like you going "lol who swipes that fast" need to stop force-participating in discussions that don't concern them. If you have nothing to add to the topic, then don't reply. Otherwise, pretentious comments like yours telling people to get meds for their complaints aren't needed and you should spend your time on something less useless.

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 03:12 PM
First off, the animations are not three seconds. Yes its slower and yes its annoying. However these videos are grossly exaggerated. No one swipes their phone that quickly.Doesn't change the fact that they are still noticeably slower.

cleo1
Aug 20, 2013, 04:06 PM
The iPhone 5 is by no means slow, it shouldn't have this problem. Running a dual core 1.3gHz cpu should make the animations pretty smooth.

While iPhone 5 is by no means slow, iOS 7 will be optimized for the 5S just like iOS 6 was optimized for the 5. A7 processor will be the new 'normal', and Apple will utilize whatever enhancements can be smoothly accommodated, and while old hardware will still be factored into the equation, it is only a secondary priority.

rrares1996
Aug 20, 2013, 04:16 PM
ios 6 was never slow in terms of animations, take a look at the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDb4Q1X_Uk

Paddle1
Aug 20, 2013, 04:20 PM
ios 6 was never slow in terms of animations, take a look at the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDb4Q1X_Uk

Is that an iPhone 4?

iCarabma
Aug 20, 2013, 04:23 PM
Scenario:

You are walking in the middle of the street when you see a TRUCK Flying right at you!! You pull out your trusty iPhone to call for help, BUT no matter how quickly you move you meat paw over the screen iOS 7 is Animating TOOO SLOOOOOOW.

Now you are taking a dirt nap!

How many people have to DIE, Tim Cook!

Let's not give them the chance! Pitchforks, everyone!!!!

shandyman
Aug 20, 2013, 04:54 PM
Doesn't change the fact that they are still noticeably slower.

As stated, the speed has increased over the betas. Additionally, it's not final release yet, so judging it on a developer beta that is significantly many builds behind what apple are using internally is an absurd idea.

rrares1996
Aug 20, 2013, 05:04 PM
Is that an iPhone 4?

Yes.

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 05:18 PM
As stated, the speed has increased over the betas. Additionally, it's not final release yet, so judging it on a developer beta that is significantly many builds behind what apple are using internally is an absurd idea.That is correct, as I've actually stated that myself as well. That particular post was in reply to one that was in relation to a slightly different aspect of this whole thing.

JarScott
Aug 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
True story. No fix = no update for me, and probably others will do the same.

Rubbish. You'll update.

----------

Doesn't change the fact that they are still noticeably slower.

If you're in that much of a rush you should calm down, take a deep breath and enjoy the swishy animations. Then continue using your phone.

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 05:38 PM
Rubbish. You'll update.

----------

If you're in that much of a rush you should calm down, take a deep breath and enjoy the swishy animations. Then continue using your phone.Yes, that's totally what that's about.

mKTank
Aug 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
Rubbish. You'll update.

----------

If you're in that much of a rush you should calm down, take a deep breath and enjoy the swishy animations. Then continue using your phone.
Or you could stop telling people how to use their phones. I mean, seriously? We're at "you're using it too fast" now? Don't poke your nose in other people's way of using their phones. It's not so much to ask when we want iOS 6 animation speeds back.

I swear, this community makes me want to go to Android more than any iOS shortcoming does. It's just snobby people left and right trying to tell you the "right" (read: their) way of using the phone. I need a second opinion from these armchair designers like I need lung cancer.

JarScott
Aug 20, 2013, 06:00 PM
or you could stop telling people how to use their phones. I mean, seriously? We're at "you're using it too fast" now? Don't poke your nose in other people's way of using their phones. It's not so much to ask when we want ios 6 animation speeds back.

I swear, this community makes me want to go to android more than any ios shortcoming does. It's just snobby people left and right trying to tell you the "right" (read: Their) way of using the phone. I need a second opinion from these armchair designers like i need lung cancer.

k

jonnyb098
Aug 20, 2013, 06:59 PM
I do, and a lot of other people do, and that's why these threads exist. People like you going "lol who swipes that fast" need to stop force-participating in discussions that don't concern them. If you have nothing to add to the topic, then don't reply. Otherwise, pretentious comments like yours telling people to get meds for their complaints aren't needed and you should spend your time on something less useless.

This has been discussed over and over again in other threads. What exactly are you adding by discussing something that's been discussed for 2 months?
They already sped up response to touches when opening folders by beta 3 or 4.
Nothing changes the fact the videos posted here are a joke and gross exaggeration.

How about you guys post a video of hitting the keyboard 50 times while waiting for your computers to wake from sleep. Since that takes a whole 2 seconds.

----------

Or you could stop telling people how to use their phones. I mean, seriously? We're at "you're using it too fast" now? Don't poke your nose in other people's way of using their phones. It's not so much to ask when we want iOS 6 animation speeds back.

I swear, this community makes me want to go to Android more than any iOS shortcoming does. It's just snobby people left and right trying to tell you the "right" (read: their) way of using the phone. I need a second opinion from these armchair designers like I need lung cancer.

Then go, you won't be missed. Is hilarious how many people keep saying that, yet here they stay.

----------

Also love how there is no iOS 6 comparison. I just did it has its barely any faster from unlock to a swipe registering.

----------

It's not apps, it's various situations where waiting the extra 2-3 seconds may not be an option.

Omg, god forbid it takes you an extra 2 seconds to get to snap chat.

petehepple
Aug 20, 2013, 07:09 PM
So many people in a hurry these days - let's just calm down and enjoy the ride :)

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 07:16 PM
So many people in a hurry these days - let's just calm down and enjoy the ride :)By the same thinking though, why should we need to watch extra animations when we don't even care about them and they serve no useful purpose? I'd like to enjoy actual useful things in life, not animations on my phone that serve no real purpose.

TonyC28
Aug 20, 2013, 07:29 PM
I've used most of the betas so far and this is definitely something I noticed. If it stays this way when iOS 7 goes public I can see this being one of the major complaints.

Mrg02d
Aug 20, 2013, 07:57 PM

Ever thought about the idea that Apple might not want you to use your phone like that?

I'd suggest android. No lag there, at all.

It may not be a simple fix...You do realize that the OS is loading files while you wait, right?

----------

By the same thinking though, why should we need to watch extra animations when we don't even care about them and they serve no useful purpose? I'd like to enjoy actual useful things in life, not animations on my phone that serve no real purpose.

Sounds like a small few are finding of that iOS isn't for them anymore. I love the animations myself.

iCarabma
Aug 20, 2013, 08:09 PM
So many people in a hurry these days - let's just calm down and enjoy the ride :)

Scenario:

You are walking to the bank when BAM!!!

Out of the Foot Locker next door comes a BLACK BEAR... You go to open your phone to google what to do and

TOO LATE. During the icon animation the bear steals your wallet and EATS YOU.

Now thanks to Jony Ive you are DEAD and BROKE! Not an easy ride to enjoy!!!

Think about it!!! This is a major issue. Let's Class Action Apple. Who's with me!

whocaresit
Aug 20, 2013, 08:15 PM
Can some one just file a bug report on this already!

jonnyb098
Aug 20, 2013, 08:50 PM
Can some one just file a bug report on this already!

It's not a bug you dope. It's a simple change of the animation timing that they have been tweaking though the beta process.

Next time try 80 point font you might get some more attention.

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 08:58 PM
Ever thought about the idea that Apple might not want you to use your phone like that?

I'd suggest android. No lag there, at all.

It may not be a simple fix...You do realize that the OS is loading files while you wait, right?

----------

Sounds like a small few are finding of that iOS isn't for them anymore. I love the animations myself.Just because there are those who think there's not much point to longer and extra animations that accomplish nothing but do sacrifice some usability, doesn't mean that somehow iOS isn't for those people. There are decision choices that are made that can be discussed and even criticized without simply turning ones back on the larger part of it all (the OS itself).

----------

Can some one just file a bug report on this already! What makes you think that feedback about this hasn't already been submitted to Apple (on more than one occasion more than likely).

mKTank
Aug 20, 2013, 09:15 PM
Lol'd at the "loading files" suggestion. No it isn't. It's made slower by design and to look all cool and hip, not to mask loading time.

But keep defending Apple. They're in short supply of noses to stain.

ominx
Aug 20, 2013, 09:18 PM
It's not a bug, it's the balance between usability and eye candy that Apple thinks is appropriate. You may or may not agree, but there is no way they can make every user happy.

But to think that they are hammering out code struggling to speed up animations is somewhat funny. They can do it, the switch is already there and they can flip it at anytime to increase or decrease animation speed as they deem necessary, but they feel (at the time of the current release) it is appropriate.

whocaresit
Aug 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
It's not a bug, it's the balance between usability and eye candy that Apple thinks is appropriate. You may or may not agree, but there is no way they can make every user happy.

But to think that they are hammering out code struggling to speed up animations is somewhat funny. They can do it, the switch is already there and they can flip it at anytime to increase or decrease animation speed as they deem necessary, but they feel (at the time of the current release) it is appropriate.

The animation speed i.e. duration is great. HOWEVER IT BLOCKS 'USER INTERACTION'. It didn't happen in older versions of iOS.

Mrg02d
Aug 20, 2013, 09:44 PM
Lol'd at the "loading files" suggestion. No it isn't. It's made slower by design and to look all cool and hip, not to mask loading time.

But keep defending Apple. They're in short supply of noses to stain.

Oh, I had no idea that you were an Apple dev? Thank God someone here TRULY knows what the REAL reason is...

chrf097
Aug 20, 2013, 09:45 PM
This is unrealistic, the unlocking at least. The multitasking is more understandable.

I don't really see how the unlocking part is going to affect real world usage. The multitasking is more understandable but still, not that big of a deal.

you're making mountains out of molehills here.

Mrg02d
Aug 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
The animation speed i.e. duration is great. HOWEVER IT BLOCKS 'USER INTERACTION'. It didn't happen in older versions of iOS.

My 4s on iOS 6 does this...so...

mKTank
Aug 20, 2013, 10:26 PM
Oh, I had no idea that you were an Apple dev? Thank God someone here TRULY knows what the REAL reason is...

I'm actually a developer and tested this quite a bit. Everything is "loaded" within milliseconds of turning the screen on, with the exception of apps (if you locked the phone in the middle of using an app). The animations don't do anything.

But go ahead and keep being sarcastic. Makes you look so precious to the argument.

iCarabma
Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 PM
This is unrealistic, the unlocking at least. The multitasking is more understandable.

I don't really see how the unlocking part is going to affect real world usage. The multitasking is more understandable but still, not that big of a deal.

Scenario:

You are going to ask your girlfriend to marry you, so you take her to lookout point and YOU GUESSED IT....

MOLE PEOPLE jump out. You whip your iPhone and try call for help but the animations are too slow. Its iOS 7's fault your girl is KIDNAPPED.

They release her a week later, but she was Stockholm'd and doesn't want to marry you anymore.

Now you are going to DIE ALONE. Thanks, Steve Jobs! Still think MOLEHILLS are no big deal!!!

Gogol
Aug 21, 2013, 02:48 AM
What a ridiculous thread. OP is trying to drive his car without starting his engine. Did he complain about that to the manufacturer?

The lag is introduced by himself. If he waits about half a second (huhuh, that's long) everything works ok.

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 03:11 AM
What a ridiculous thread. OP is trying to drive his car without starting his engine. Did he complain about that to the manufacturer?

The lag is introduced by himself. If he waits about half a second (huhuh, that's long) everything works ok.Way to completely misunderstand the situation and to go further down the wrong path based on that misunderstanding. A+

Paradoxally
Aug 21, 2013, 05:52 AM

The lag is introduced by himself. If he waits about half a second (huhuh, that's long) everything works ok.

.............what. :confused:

Andy-V
Aug 21, 2013, 07:06 AM
I think it's fair to say that in the unlock video, there's one swipe that should definitely work that doesn't. It should be possible to change the page the moment the animation completes without any delay. If that's an artificial limit (not the phone actually lagging) then it should be fixed.

But maybe it was just a one-off issue that didn't register that final swipe that didn't work?

Giuly
Aug 21, 2013, 07:08 AM
If you'd allow .5 seconds for the animation to finish like your hand-eye coordination dictates, you wouldn't even have a problem here.

Gogurt48
Aug 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
The unlock animation (where the icons fall onto the screen like raindrops) is one of the longest in iOS 7. We shouldn't have to wait for it to complete in order to swipe to the next page if we want.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying the animation is too long or too slow. I'm saying I'd like to be able to interrupt it by swiping to the next page before it finishes.

iMacBooked
Aug 21, 2013, 08:10 AM
Rubbish. You'll update.
No, I really won't update then. Rubbish..? Are you able to read peoples minds or something? :rolleyes:

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
If you'd allow .5 seconds for the animation to finish like your hand-eye coordination dictates, you wouldn't even have a problem here.It still wouldn't change the fact that in iOS 7 (so far) animations are longer without any adding anything useful.

mKTank
Aug 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Welp, it's official guys. The new argument is now "you're using it too fast." Start operating the phone like a senior and everything will be fine.

the-prophet
Aug 21, 2013, 12:05 PM
Welp, it's official guys. The new argument is now "you're using it too fast." Start operating the phone like a senior and everything will be fine.

Look

pR6wktNWVeU

mKTank
Aug 21, 2013, 02:45 PM
Look

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pR6wktNWVeU)

What does that have to do with anything?

the-prophet
Aug 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

I can't do it. :(

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
I can't do it. :(Do what? How is it (whatever it is) related to what's being discussed in this thread?

madmaxmedia
Aug 21, 2013, 03:22 PM
2 seconds builds up over time.

Yeah, at the very least it will get annoying over time.

The responsiveness of the interface is one of the reasons why iOS is/was so amazing. It took a long time for Android to catch up, so that you felt like you were actually manipulating objects with your finger, instead of entering commands and waiting for the GUI to catch up.

This is not quite the same thing, but it really shouldn't be necessary to wait 2 seconds for unlock animations to complete.[COLOR="#808080"]

Generally, it's not a big deal IMO. But sometimes you really are in a hurry, on the run, needing to get at something on your phone...why add unnecessary time for users to be able to use their phone?

The first couple of sarcastic examples of getting hit by a truck or attacked by a bear were kinda funny, but not really necessary any more.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying the animation is too long or too slow. I'm saying I'd like to be able to interrupt it by swiping to the next page before it finishes.

This would be nice.

twigman08
Aug 21, 2013, 03:32 PM

Because it's how this stuff gets fixed, by people so called "b!tching."

If no one ever said anything and just treated betas by how you want them to then most stuff would never get fixed. That's how bugs and issues in Betas get fixed most of the time in software...

mKTank
Aug 21, 2013, 04:20 PM
The problem with this is that this isn't guaranteed to be a beta thing. It could very well be the design they're aiming for. It's not a "bug."

the-prophet
Aug 21, 2013, 04:41 PM
What needs to happen is zipping in and out of apps should be fast.

Snappier comes to mind. Yes, what once was a joke is very important.

It needs to be snappier.

petehepple
Aug 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
By the same thinking though, why should we need to watch extra animations when we don't even care about them and they serve no useful purpose? I'd like to enjoy actual useful things in life, not animations on my phone that serve no real purpose.

And how exactly is that "by the same thinking" as me? It looks to me like you mean "by the complete opposite thinking".

----------

Scenario:

Out of the Foot Locker next door comes a BLACK BEAR... You go to open your phone to google what to do and

Think about it!!! This is a major issue. Let's Class Action Apple. Who's with me!

:D Now I see the error of my ways!

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
And how exactly is that "by the same thinking" as me? It looks to me like you mean "by the complete opposite thinking".

----------

:D Now I see the error of my ways!I assumed your thinking was about not rushing through life and enjoying it, so it would seem like enjoying the meaningful moments of life would fit into that thinking, meaning that it would be better not to spend more time on anything that's essentially meaningless (in order to have more time for meaningful things), which in turn fits in with that thinking.

Now, if that thinking is purely about enjoying any part of life, no matter how meaningless it is, then, no, it doesn't fit into that, but I don't think anyone would really want to "enjoy" spending more time on meaningless things (nor would there be any enjoyment to gain from that really), at least it certainly would make little to no sense to the vast majority of people when it comes to that.

phpmaven
Aug 21, 2013, 06:31 PM
Not sure its lag because who uses their phone like that? Under normal use, I've never experienced it.

Totally agree. I've never even noticed this until now. I guess I don't start swiping like a psycho the millisecond after I come out of sleep or switch apps as shown in the videos.

iCarabma
Aug 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
Totally agree. I've never even noticed this until now. I guess I don't start swiping like a psycho the millisecond after I come out of sleep or switch apps as shown in the videos.

Scenario:

You are at home eating breakfast buritos when a news report comes on A LOCAL PSYCHO has broken out of CRAZY PERSON PRISON!

Just then a man with a AX breaks down your door! You try and unlock your iPhone to see if this man is the Psycho but THE ANIMATIONS ARE TOO SLOW.

He knocks over your plate and AXES YOU TIL YOU DIE. It was the Psycho (!!!) but now you're DEAD AND YOU HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACE.

Change your mind yet!!! APPLE is playing with our lives. Let's go to Cupertino and pass out flyers!

Mrg02d
Aug 21, 2013, 09:57 PM
I think I saw this on Sesame Street this morning...

Elmo was also unhappy with the animations.

----------

I'm kinda psycho and even I don't swipe that fast...

ominx
Aug 21, 2013, 10:05 PM
Scenario:

You are walking in the middle of the street when you see a TRUCK Flying right at you!! You pull out your trusty iPhone to call for help, BUT no matter how quickly you move you meat paw over the screen iOS 7 is Animating TOOO SLOOOOOOW.

Now you are taking a dirt nap!

How many people have to DIE, Tim Cook!

Let's not give them the chance! Pitchforks, everyone!!!!

Scenario:

Scenario:

You are going to ask your girlfriend to marry you, so you take her to lookout point and YOU GUESSED IT....

MOLE PEOPLE jump out. You whip your iPhone and try call for help but the animations are too slow. Its iOS 7's fault your girl is KIDNAPPED.

They release her a week later, but she was Stockholm'd and doesn't want to marry you anymore.

Now you are going to DIE ALONE. Thanks, Steve Jobs! Still think MOLEHILLS are no big deal!!!

Scenario:

You are at home eating breakfast buritos when a news report comes on A LOCAL PSYCHO has broken out of CRAZY PERSON PRISON!

Just then a man with a AX breaks down your door! You try and unlock your iPhone to see if this man is the Psycho but THE ANIMATIONS ARE TOO SLOW.

He knocks over your plate and AXES YOU TIL YOU DIE. It was the Psycho (!!!) but now you're DEAD AND YOU HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACE.

Change your mind yet!!! APPLE is playing with our lives. Let's go to Cupertino and pass out flyers!

If these arguments haven't convinced everyone, nothing will.

Giuly
Aug 21, 2013, 11:32 PM
It still wouldn't change the fact that in iOS 7 (so far) animations are longer without any adding anything useful.

Well, in order for something to be considered art it must have no purpose other than itself, no function. And this has quite literally has no function whatsoever for .8 seconds, but then again, it's Jony Ive's work we're talking about here.

It's not a bug, it's a feature art.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 12:48 AM
Well, in order for something to be considered art it must have no purpose other than itself, no function. And this has quite literally has no function whatsoever for .8 seconds, but then again, it's Jony Ive's work we're talking about here.

It's not a bug, it's a feature art.Art and OS functionality/usability really shouldn't be related, at the very least certainly not when something like art would come at some cost of essentially intrinsic and inherent OS concepts like functionality and usability.

Tander
Aug 22, 2013, 01:09 AM
Because it's how this stuff gets fixed, by people so called "b!tching."

If no one ever said anything and just treated betas by how you want them to then most stuff would never get fixed. That's how bugs and issues in Betas get fixed most of the time in software...

Apple don't read these forums. They don't take feedback from these forums infact that couldnt care less about these forums. You want to let Apple know about an issue (bugs or whatever) send them a bug report where they will actually read it!! :rolleyes:

!GS51!
Aug 22, 2013, 05:26 AM
Scenario:

I dont think if some psycho axed your door your gonna unlock ur iPhone and check if hes the psycho as a matter of fact your going to run like a little girl or face him like a man not unlock ur device.....

rodrigomarrafao
Aug 22, 2013, 06:54 AM
I dont think if some psycho axed your door your gonna unlock ur iPhone and check if hes the psycho as a matter of fact your going to run like a little girl or face him like a man not unlock ur device.....

Wrong! Most people would try to take a nice picture of him and Instagram it.

"Me and the Axe psycho, gonna die xoxoxoxoxo" :-(

!GS51!
Aug 22, 2013, 07:10 AM

Wow that actually makes sense how could i have forgotten, instagram and social networking comes first we gotta share the moment, let the world know iam going to get slaughtered :o

DDustiNN
Aug 22, 2013, 07:59 AM
This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation to finish.

Speaking of animations, I also hate the "fade in/out" animation when waking/sleeping the device. I very much preferred the instant on and off of previous iOS. It fits much better with the solid click of the Power button. Now it just feels delayed and slow.

the-prophet
Aug 22, 2013, 08:17 AM
At least we're not seeing this:

http://macyay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/waitcursor-300p.jpg

iCarabma
Aug 22, 2013, 08:23 AM

Ha HA. You think everything is games and dancing, but I didn't tell you the whole story.

Scenario (appendex):

You are BETA testing the new iOS but something is wrong. The slow animations are MAKING FUN WITH YOUR MIND!!!

It eventually drives you CRAZY! That's right! YOU are the PSYCHO. ORIGIN STORY!!!!!

You escaped from CRAZY PERSON JAIL when the guard tried to unlock his phone. HE just wanted to check Facebook but now he is FACEDEAD.

Phil Schiller is laughing. This serious matter is costing us lives! Maybe BUG REPORT it?

This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation...

SEE!!!!!!!!!

Mrg02d
Aug 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation to finish.

Speaking of animations, I also hate the "fade in/out" animation when waking/sleeping the device. I very much preferred the instant on and off of previous iOS. It fits much better with the solid click of the Power button. Now it just feels delayed and slow.

See, I love all the new color, animations, and special fx. iOS seemed too DOS like before. I understand wanting to get crap done, but live a little people...Humans are all artistic to some degree. iOS 7 looks ALIVE!

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
See, I love all the new color, animations, and special fx. iOS seemed too DOS like before. I understand wanting to get crap done, but live a little people...Humans are all artistic to some degree. iOS 7 looks ALIVE!Longer animations don't really make it look alive, nor is it something that's actually useful for a mobile device. The vast majority of people don't have and use a mobile device for some sort of pretty looks it provides while using it to actually do something (and if they are, while it's certainly up to them, it's not the primary or even the secondary use for such devices anyway).

Mrg02d
Aug 22, 2013, 03:10 PM
Longer animations don't really make it look alive, nor is it something that's actually useful for a mobile device. The vast majority of people don't have and use a mobile device for some sort of pretty looks it provides while using it to actually do something (and if they are, while it's certainly up to them, it's not the primary or even the secondary use for such devices anyway).

Link to your sources please?

I'm guessing you don't dress to impress, do you?

Edit: tell that to the car industry.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
Link to your sources please?

I'm guessing you don't dress to impress, do you?

Edit: tell that to the car industry.Yes, function over form. The fact that it's form over function when it comes to various other things, doesn't mean that it's actually good or better, does it? That said, if the form doesn't really interfere with the function, then by all means.

Mrg02d
Aug 22, 2013, 03:54 PM
Yes, function over form. The fact that it's form over function when it comes to various other things, doesn't mean that it's actually good or better, does it? That said, if the form doesn't really interfere with the function, then by all means.

Hmm...What IF, the majority of iOS users ARENT hindered by this "lag" and DO appreciate the glitter?

I do agree that if Apple can easily allow you to "skip" the animation, then they should.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
Hmm...What IF, the majority of iOS users ARENT hindered by this "lag" and DO appreciate the glitter?

I do agree that if Apple can easily allow you to "skip" the animation, then they should.I guess it doesn't impact those people, but it still doesn't mean that it's actually good/better. Just because some (even a majority) aren't bothered by something, doesn't mean it's actually good or at least could (and probably still should) be better, right? So, yeah, maybe not a widespread issue or something people would really care about, but it is there and it can definitely be better in general (and of course for those who would care about it).

roadbloc
Aug 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
People need to chill out. This is a beta version of a phone OS, not the saviour of mankind from the horrible darkness that lies ahead for our species.

iCarabma
Aug 23, 2013, 11:26 AM
People need to chill out. This is a beta version of a phone OS, not the saviour of mankind from the horrible darkness that lies ahead for our species.

Scenario:

You are on the International Space Station (ISS!!) watching Community reruns on Hulu. Suddenly you see a MASSIVE SPACE ASTEROID heading for Earth!!!

You grab your iPhone to warn the President but UH-OH those animations!!! Too slow. And now the asteroid has DESTROYED THE PLANET. You could have been the SAVIOR OF MANKIND, but thanks to Tim Cook's ego you will DIE ALONE in the HORRIBLE DARKNESS.

Still think this is funny? Thanks to people like you the humans are dead and Hulu isn't working. No more COMMUNITY!!!!

Let's DO SOMETHING!!! Kickstarter?

#sixseasonsandnotoslowanimations

marvz
Aug 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
Scenario:

You are on the International Space Station (ISS!!) watching Community reruns on Hulu. Suddenly you see a MASSIVE SPACE ASTEROID heading for Earth!!!

You grab your iPhone to warn the President but UH-OH those animations!!! Too slow. And now the asteroid has DESTROYED THE PLANET. You could have been the SAVIOR OF MANKIND, but thanks to Tim Cook's ego you will DIE ALONE in the HORRIBLE DARKNESS.

Still think this is funny? Thanks to people like you the humans are dead and Hulu isn't working. No more COMMUNITY!!!!

Not really funny.

Tammster
Aug 23, 2013, 11:58 AM
Certainly the time people are spending participating in this post is way more than the cumulative lag time on their phone.

Seems funny that milliseconds are so precious yet some people will write a multi-paragraph post complaining about it.

C DM
Aug 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
Certainly the time people are spending participating in this post is way more than the cumulative lag time on their phone.

Seems funny that milliseconds are so precious yet some people will write a multi-paragraph post complaining about it.Probably because over daily use of their phone those milliseconds will still add up to be more than the time it takes to even compose and write a multi-paragraph post. ;)

Tammster
Aug 23, 2013, 12:03 PM
Probably because over daily use of their phone those milliseconds will still add up to be more than the time it takes to even compose and write a multi-paragraph post. ;)

Hardly, especially if you factor in that person checking back to see if comments were made and maybe even replying with another witty complaint. ;)

C DM
Aug 23, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hardly, especially if you factor in that person checking back to see if comments were made and maybe even replying with another witty complaint. ;)Even then, the complaining and responding actually serves some use to a person like that (even if just entertainment), while the extra duration of animations has no use at all to such a person (and in fact can even have annoying attributes).

Gogurt48
Aug 23, 2013, 12:13 PM
Probably because over daily use of their phone those milliseconds will still add up to be more than the time it takes to even compose and write a multi-paragraph post. ;)

I don't think it's that the milliseconds add up, it's that it's frustrating to perform a gesture on your phone and have it ignored. If I want to go to page 2, I typically don't wait for the animation to finish. I swipe, and I keep swiping until it takes. I personally like the animations, I just hope we'll be able to interrupt them in the GM. My input to the screen should take precedence over an animation.

bigred7078
Aug 23, 2013, 12:20 PM
Scenario:

I'm sure that seemed hilarious in your head...

Grolubao
Aug 23, 2013, 08:16 PM
For me the animation speed in ios6 was already very annoying (that's why I jailbreak). If it's this bad in ios7 I will not install it. P
Oh wait, I wouldn't install it anyway without a jailbreak :cool:

venividivigor
Aug 23, 2013, 09:09 PM
Oh man, I totally know what you mean. It's really annoying how you have to wait. When I workout I log each my workout sets in an app and I always get frustrated with waiting until my phone can function.

Mrg02d
Aug 23, 2013, 10:13 PM
I'm failing to understand what one needs to be swiping so fast for, so can someone here explain what they are doing that requires such immediate response by the OS?

Give real examples, please?

matttye
Aug 24, 2013, 03:29 AM
I'm failing to understand what one needs to be swiping so fast for, so can someone here explain what they are doing that requires such immediate response by the OS?

iOS has usually always prioritised user input over everything else. By the sounds of it, this has changed.

Can you still start scrolling in the other direction mid scroll? That's the main time I can think of where I regularly interrupt animations.

watchthisspace
Aug 24, 2013, 03:56 AM

In the videos, they were swiping fast to show you the delay between unlocking the iPhone and being able to swipe between pages of apps or when changing app using the multitasking and before the app is usable.

I compared the two videos to my iPhone 4 (Running iOS:6), my 4 was definitely faster in both cases. This must be just a beta related thing.

MarcBook
Aug 24, 2013, 04:34 AM
I think they sped up some of the other animations, such as actually going into an app, but yes... the unlock one is still absolutely terrible. They need to speed it up a lot and make it interactive while it's still mid-animation.

If you're on iOS 6, try swiping to the next home screen page while it's still doing the unlock animation. It carries on doing the animation as it's being pushed off the page.

It needs to be like that again!

benji888
Aug 24, 2013, 04:34 AM
point is, it's not better than the product it is replacing - ios 6.
This actually does drive me nuts, and has since beta 1. I hate that I have to wait for the animation to finish....
^^please see quote from shandyman below \/
The problem with this is that this isn't guaranteed to be a beta thing. It could very well be the design they're aiming for. It's not a "bug."
HIGHLY UNLIKELY (see quote from shandyman below \/).
It's been noticed in previous iOS betas, like iOS 5 and 6, that there was lag during the beta, which disappeared with GM. So this thread is mostly people getting their knickers in a twist, showing a video claiming that GM and final release will be laggy.

Additionally, the animations were sped up from beta 1, to 2 to 3, so there are things being done.
...Speaking of animations, I also hate the "fade in/out" animation when waking/sleeping the device. I very much preferred the instant on and off of previous iOS. It fits much better with the solid click of the Power button. Now it just feels delayed and slow.
I happen to like the fading there and at other times w/iOS 7, and the animation/fade when turning it off was sped up about beta 4 or 5, so it will likely be a bit faster...but, what makes you think there will be clicking lock sounds anymore? That was skewmorphic, they could give us all new sounds in the GM, and I hope they do, it's time for a change!

It's not a bug, it's a feature art.
If all you care about is function then go get a blackberry!! Some of us like art, and this is functional art, I like the animations, but, read quote above from shandyman^^ so, you see, if you care so much about function, then why are you wasting your time posting about something Apple is working on, this is one thing with betas that is very likely to change by the time it goes GM.

OP and all of you that agree with OP: you people act as if iOS 7 is finished and this is how it will be!? It's a total overhaul of iOS, so let them finish it! Everyone knows betas are not optimized for speed until the GM. If you can't deal with it go back to iOS 6 until the GM is released or shut the ef up already, this kind of post is driving me nuts, not iOS 7, iOS 7 is great!
Thanks iCaramba for the sarcasm, made me laugh, ...the only reason I kept reading this thread! :D

One good thing...at least no one mentioned battery drain in this thread, ...or the Photos icon. ;O)

teknikal90
Aug 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
I remember when people like you were sympathetic of the maps in ios 6. Calling it as just a beta.
Guess what, the GM came out and it still sucked

shortcrust
Aug 24, 2013, 01:55 PM
I can see why this will annoy people, but I can honestly say I've never encountered the problem myself. I must use my phone really slowly!

PNutts
Aug 24, 2013, 02:46 PM
I'm sure that seemed hilarious in your head...

Some voices agreed, others disagreed.

^^please see quote from shandyman below

Looking at many of the user titles in this forum I'm not sure how many were around for previous betas. They may have been just lurking, who knows. The point is that there is a marked difference between betas and the GM and the next x.0.1 and higher releases in many areas including (and especially) performance. If history is an indication then GM will perform better than the last beta and x.0.1 will perform better than the GM, etc.

It's fun do discuss and speculate and rant but this has all happened before, is expected, and eventually the cylons and humans learn to live together.

Mtmspa
Aug 24, 2013, 03:25 PM

Like what?

roadbloc
Aug 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Scenario:

If you're using beta software on an international space station, you probably deserve to be the fool who accidently doesn't save the human race from a freak asteroid invasion.

jpeso2525
Aug 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
If you're using beta software on an international space station, you probably deserve to be the fool who accidently doesn't save the human race from a freak asteroid invasion.

LOL. That was funny.

jonnyb098
Aug 24, 2013, 06:38 PM

There are plenty of funny examples on here since the OP stated "those situations where waiting 2 seconds is not an open". In other words there ISN'T a situation that's realistic where those extra couple seconds will mean doom and gloom. :D

Just a whiner that can't wait the extra second for animation to complete....in a beta....that's filled with diagnostic and logging code.....yep.

benji888
Aug 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
I can see why this will annoy people, but I can honestly say I've never encountered the problem myself. I must use my phone really slowly!

You don't use your phone slowly, probably normally. These kids have had too many stimulants/caffeine:eek:. But, in reality, that little bit of lag won't be there when apple is done.

whocaresit
Aug 24, 2013, 07:41 PM
I put a lot of frequently used "mission-critical" apps on second page and I'm forced to look at the animation for no useful reason :mad: :o

Even apps on homescreen don't launch UNTIL the animation finishes.. that is terrible beyond belief.

sandwicher
Aug 25, 2013, 12:47 AM
Calm the hell down?!?!

Have you guys been using iOS 6? Do up a comparison with iOS 7 and 6 side by side. You'll realize this so called 'lag" is blown way out of proportion. It existed since iOS 6!

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 05:53 AM
Calm the hell down?!?!

Have you guys been using iOS 6? Do up a comparison with iOS 7 and 6 side by side. You'll realize this so called 'lag" is blown way out of proportion. It existed since iOS 6!

iOS 6 is extremely slick and smooth on my iPhone 5.

But people need to calm down, once iOS engineers remove the debug headers from the betas of iOS 7 (or going GM) the GM will be as slick and as smooth as iOS 6.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 06:39 AM
once iOS engineers remove the debug headers from the betas of iOS 7 (or going GM) the GM will be as slick and as smooth as iOS 6.

That was exactly what I thought when running iOS4 beta on my iPhone3G. But Apple never fixed it after GM. That's why some people concern about iOS7 and I fully understand where it came from.

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 06:41 AM
That was exactly what I thought when running iOS4 beta on my iPhone3G. But Apple never fixed it after GM. That's why some people concern about iOS7 and I fully understand where it came from.

That was iOS 4. They have learned from their mistakes with iOS 5 and 6. Press had a giant cry about iOS 4 performance after GM so they released 4.1 to
Fix it and it seems they haven't had that problem since.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 10:42 AM
That was iOS 4. They have learned from their mistakes with iOS 5 and 6. Press had a giant cry about iOS 4 performance after GM so they released 4.1 to
Fix it and it seems they haven't had that problem since.

As a iPhone 3G owner, I could tell you Apple did not fix performance issue for it. Running 3G with iOS4 is a totally nightmare.

I can see similar thing happen to iOS7,

1. People complained about performance during beta. Apple defender said "don't worry it's beta."
2. People complained it after formal released. Apple defender said "report it to Apple, so that Apple can fix it."
3. People complained it after some update. Apple defender said "buy a new iPhone4."

Slow animation, unresponsive typing usually get fixed before beta. Beta is supposed to test compatibility, functionality of OS. I'm afraid previous model are not capable to handle new flat UI. We won't get a satisfied experience until buying a iPhone5S.

BogdanS
Aug 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
You can check out the performance of your iPhone using animated panoramic wallpapers by going to this link http://panoramico.audiko.com You don't have to be the user of iOS 7 to see how it will perform on your iPhone.

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
I'm afraid previous model are not capable to handle new flat UI. We won't get a satisfied experience until buying a iPhone5S.

Is this a bad thing? Shouldn't each new model bring better performance? I wouldn't expect that new technologies in software would work equally effectively on older hardware. I don't think it's Apple (or any other company) "forcing" us to buy new products... it's the nature of technology.

xhArRiSoNxD
Aug 25, 2013, 12:17 PM
I want the iPhone to get faster not slower. Unlock phone and open app that I desire ASAP.

angelwings
Aug 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
I find it astonishing that people are saying "just wait" and it "doesn't matter".

This is a frustrating situation for people who can navigate the phone quickly.

It's like having a keyboard that takes 2 seconds to register your button press and every press needs to be wait before the next.

I mean, if you type slow that's fine, but for people who type fast is annoying.

This is the same thing, the lag/long animation is annoying as hell.

Gogurt48
Aug 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
This is the same thing, the lag/long animation is annoying as hell.

It is, but I don't think it'll be there in the GM. Remember how opening folders used to lag? In betas 1 through 4 you had to wait until the folder opening animation completed. I almost always made at least one false tap trying to open an app in a folder. Beta 5 fixed that. Now, no matter how quickly I tap the icon, the app opens. I think they'll fix these other lags, too.

I don't think they'll make the animation any faster (it doesn't really need to be), but I think they'll make it so you can interrupt the animation, and you don't have to wait until its finished.

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
As a iPhone 3G owner, I could tell you Apple did not fix performance issue for it. Running 3G with iOS4 is a totally nightmare.

I can see similar thing happen to iOS7,

1. People complained about performance during beta. Apple defender said "don't worry it's beta."
2. People complained it after formal released. Apple defender said "report it to Apple, so that Apple can fix it."
3. People complained it after some update. Apple defender said "buy a new iPhone4."

Slow animation, unresponsive typing usually get fixed before beta. Beta is supposed to test compatibility, functionality of OS. I'm afraid previous model are not capable to handle new flat UI. We won't get a satisfied experience until buying a iPhone5S.

And they have learned from their mistakes hence that's why iPhone 3G or below doesn't do iOS 7.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 05:12 PM
And they have learned from their mistakes hence that's why iPhone 3G or below doesn't do iOS 7.

No, they don't. iPhone4 get iOS7 but iPhone 3GS doesn't, even we all know 3GS has better graphic performance than 4.

The same thing will happen again.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 05:22 PM
Is this a bad thing? Shouldn't each new model bring better performance? I wouldn't expect that new technologies in software would work equally effectively on older hardware. I don't think it's Apple (or any other company) "forcing" us to buy new products... it's the nature of technology.

You tell me, whether a 2 seconds typing delay a bad thing?

Bottom line is, typing on 3G was absolutely fine before iOS4. I don't expect iOS update to make old phone running new function faster. But apple make running old things, which were fine in previous iOS, become terrible after iOS update. Is this your so-called "nature of technology"?

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 06:03 PM
You tell me, whether a 2 seconds typing delay a bad thing?

Bottom line is, typing on 3G was absolutely fine before iOS4. I don't expect iOS update to make old phone running new function faster. But apple make running old things, which were fine in previous iOS, become terrible after iOS update. Is this your so-called "nature of technology"?

I'm sorry. I don't agree with your reasoning (my opinion only). I want Apple (and other tech companies) to make new & better products, not spend valuable resources forcing new technologies (ios7) to work on old products. I think if people don't want to upgrade hardware and want their phones to work the same way they they did when purchased them, they have the option of not upgrading.

I have had my Infiniti G37 for 4 years and I accept that I'm not getting the cool new features of the newer models. One day I will upgrade my hardware (next year... Q60!) and for some amount of time Ill have the best Q60 there is. I don't expect Infiniti to keep my current model working as well as the newest models... years later. I really don't understand why phones are so different.

C DM
Aug 25, 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry. I don't agree with your reasoning (my opinion only). I want Apple (and other tech companies) to make new & better products, not spend valuable resources forcing new technologies (ios7) to work on old products. I think if people don't want to upgrade hardware and want their phones to work the same way they they did when purchased them, they have the option of not upgrading.

I have had my Infiniti G37 for 4 years and I accept that I'm not getting the cool new features of the newer models. One day I will upgrade my hardware (next year... Q60!) and for some amount of time Ill have the best Q60 there is. I don't expect Infiniti to keep my current model working as well as the newest models... years later. I really don't understand why phones are so different.What if each year Infinity made a software update to your car that brought some needed features and fixes but at the same time slowed down the acceleration of the car to a slight degree? And there you have it.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 06:37 PM

Sorry, I find it's hard to understand your logic. Is typing a new technology that too much for old model?

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
What if each year Infinity made a software update to your car that brought some needed features and fixes but at the same time slowed down the acceleration of the car to a slight degree? And there you have it.

I truly don't think ANY feature on iOS7 is "needed". That's perhaps where our opinions differ the most.

If Infiniti had software updates (oh how I wish they did) then I would weigh the benefit of the updates with the downsides of putting new software on an older car. I go into this KNOWING that I purchased my car "as is" and any update would be just icing. I would answer the question, "Would a slightly slower acceleration be worth the extra cool things?" Maybe yes, maybe no. Wish I had that choice.

I really want the new iOS in the car; if they told me they could add it to my current car (so I didn't have to spend another $35k+)... trust me, I would give up acceleration. Easily.

----------

Is typing a new technology that too much for old model?

? :confused:

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
? :confused:

You said

I want Apple (and other tech companies) to make new & better products, not spend valuable resources forcing new technologies (ios7) to work on old products.

and I'm asking you if typing a new technology of iOS update that Apple should not make sure it works on old products as smoothly as it was?

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 07:12 PM
You said
and I'm asking you if typing a new technology of iOS update that Apple should not make sure it works on old products as smoothly as it was?

I'm honestly not sure what question your asking, but if it's something like "Should Apple make sure the new iOS works as smoothly on the old hardware as the old iOS did?" then I answer "No.".

There is probably a reason that the new software doesn't work as smoothly. Perhaps it's due to the limitations of the old hardware, understandably.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
I'm honestly not sure what question your asking, but if it's something like "Should Apple make sure the new iOS works as smoothly on the old hardware as the old iOS did?" then I answer "No.".

There is probably a reason that the new software doesn't work as smoothly. Perhaps it's due to the limitations of the old hardware, understandably.

Do you ever type message or words on your iPhone? Do you think typing words on iPhone a new technology that "should not work as smoothly as it was after update"?

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 07:22 PM
Do you ever type message or words on your iPhone? Do you think typing words on iPhone a new technology that "should not work as smoothly as it was after update"?

Do I type words on my iPhone. Yes I do.

No, the new technology is the iOS software (which is a beta, which people keep forgetting). There are lots of things going on under the hood of internal software and much of it will be used on much faster and more capable future models of phones. I'd rather they spend time making it work better for the NEW phones, not the old ones.

C DM
Aug 25, 2013, 07:34 PM
I truly don't think ANY feature on iOS7 is "needed". That's perhaps where our opinions differ the most.

If Infiniti had software updates (oh how I wish they did) then I would weigh the benefit of the updates with the downsides of putting new software on an older car. I go into this KNOWING that I purchased my car "as is" and any update would be just icing. I would answer the question, "Would a slightly slower acceleration be worth the extra cool things?" Maybe yes, maybe no. Wish I had that choice.

I really want the new iOS in the car; if they told me they could add it to my current car (so I didn't have to spend another $35k+)... trust me, I would give up acceleration. Easily.

----------

? :confused:When vast majority of apps become incompatible with the version of os that you are on...it kind of becomes needed. That's just one example. Security enhancements and fixes that are there in almost any update are alone what makes them more or less needed whether people realize (or even agree) or not.

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 07:39 PM
No, they don't. iPhone4 get iOS7 but iPhone 3GS doesn't, even we all know 3GS has better graphic performance than 4.

The same thing will happen again.

....So you're really saying the 3GS has better graphics than the iPhone 4?

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
When vast majority of apps become incompatible with the version of os that you are on...it kind of becomes needed.

Vast majorities? Let's just agree to disagree. I know people on very old phones with old iOSs and the vast majority of their apps DO work (I agree some don't... and frankly, apps can be used the way they were originally installed and never updated).

Security enhancements and fixes that are there in almost any update are alone what makes them more or less needed whether people realize (or even agree) or not.

Hardly "needed"; perhaps a better word is recommended. Again, I know plenty of people that use old iOSs. They are perfectly happy with them; in fact, most don't even use a password to turn on their phone (shudder) because it's too inconvenient.

Besides, if they want the securest possible system they can upgrade hardware if they can't handle a 2 second lag on an old phone.

People are getting so spoiled by technology...

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 07:46 PM
Do I type words on my iPhone. Yes I do.

No, the new technology is the iOS software (which is a beta, which people keep forgetting). There are lots of things going on under the hood of internal software and much of it will be used on much faster and more capable future models of phones. I'd rather they spend time making it work better for the NEW phones, not the old ones.

For me typing on iOS is not a new technology, even after iOS update. If users have to buy new hardware to get typing, or the other "old thing", as smoothly as it did, I would call it BS. This kind of inconsistent user experience is worsed than OS fragmentation.

----------

....So you're really saying the 3GS has better graphics than the iPhone 4?

Read again, I said 3GS has better graphic "performance".

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 07:48 PM
For me typing on iOS is not a new technology, even after iOS update. If users have to buy new hardware to get typing, or the other "old thing", as smoothly as it did, I would call it BS. This kind of inconsistent user experience is worsed than OS fragmentation.

----------

Read again, I said 3GS has better graphic "performance".

Please explain exactly how that's true and or possible.

C DM
Aug 25, 2013, 07:54 PM
Vast majorities? Let's just agree to disagree. I know people on very old phones with old iOSs and the vast majority of their apps DO work (I agree some don't... and frankly, apps can be used the way they were originally installed and never updated).

Hardly "needed"; perhaps a better word is recommended. Again, I know plenty of people that use old iOSs. They are perfectly happy with them; in fact, most don't even use a password to turn on their phone (shudder) because it's too inconvenient.

Besides, if they want the securest possible system they can upgrade hardware if they can't handle a 2 second lag on an old phone.

People are getting so spoiled by technology...When security is seen as recommended or is based on how people like or feel about something...that's a fail on all accounts. The fact that people might be ignorant on purpose or without knowing isn't even an excuse of any kind.

As for apps, with the redesign of the OS you can only expect more and more apps to update quicker to fit in and thus often lose support for older OS versions.

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 07:58 PM
If users have to buy new hardware to get typing, or the other "old thing", as smoothly as it did, I would call it BS.

Forgetting the fact that it's a BETA, let me ask you a question. If you continue to use the phone you have for 10 years, do you expect that the 2024 iOS should still make your 10+ year old phone work just as good as it did originally? I hope your answer is no (it probably won't work at all) and I hope you would say no because it would be ridiculous to think a 10 year old phone could handle the freaky new software we'll one day have.

Software is getting more and more powerful and I DON'T expect it to be held back for any reason because it's trying to keep old phones working at 100%. So, yes, I expect it won't be as smooth. If it was my phone and it bothered me that much I will a) not upgrade or b) buy a new phone.

Simple solutions to a not unexpected technology issue.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
Please explain exactly how that's true and or possible.
Here you go
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=279363&d=1301744738

3GS and 4 share the same GPU(SGX535) but the 4 has 4x of pixel for GPU to handle. In graphic test, 4 is far behind than 3GS.

C DM
Aug 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
Forgetting the fact that it's a BETA, let me ask you a question. If you continue to use the phone you have for 10 years, do you expect that the 2024 iOS should still make your 10+ year old phone work just as good as it did originally? I hope your answer is no (it probably won't work at all) and I hope you would say no because it would be ridiculous to think a 10 year old phone could handle the freaky new software we'll one day have.

Software is getting more and more powerful and I DON'T expect it to be held back for any reason because it's trying to keep old phones working at 100%. So, yes, I expect it won't be as smooth. If it was my phone and it bothered me that much I will a) not upgrade or b) buy a new phone.

Simple solutions to a not unexpected technology issue.If the OS can support the hardware then at least the essential basic things (like typing that was used as an example) should be working the same as they did before.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 08:05 PM

Simple solutions to a not unexpected technology issue.

You are so unlucky, I had a PC bought 11 years ago running windows XP and typing on it is absolutely fine.

Tammster
Aug 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
When security is seen as recommended or is based on how people like or feel about something...that's a fail on all accounts. The fact that people might be ignorant on purpose or without knowing isn't even an excuse of any kind.

So how long should a phone be supported and should it be supported to the detriment of future technology? (which I believe would happen)

As for apps, with the redesign of the OS you can only expect more and more apps to update quicker to fit in and thus often lose support for older OS versions.

Yes they will, because they are looking forward, not behind. They don't want their software to be held back because people have old phones. Updates are not mandatory most of the time so people who don't upgrade hardware and don't upgrade their iOS can just NOT upgrade the apps.

I think technology would move much faster if it didn't have to look back at all. However, realty forces it to look back to some extent and I think there are consequences of that to both sides.

----------

You are so unlucky, I had a PC bought 11 years ago running windows XP and typing on it is absolutely fine.

What are you even talking about? Why am I unlucky? You have no idea what i have (certainly not Windows XP though).

----------

If the OS can support the hardware then at least the essential basic things (like typing that was used as an example) should be working the same as they did before.

Let's agree to disagree. I think to some extent you're right but there is a point where that becomes untrue in my opinion.

twcbc
Aug 25, 2013, 08:17 PM
What are you even talking about? Why am I unlucky? You have no idea what i have (certainly not Windows XP though).

Function like typing is so basic, if it worked 10 years ago. It should work now even after some software update.

I'm sorry but it really like you make something ridiculous to defend Apple.

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
Here you go
Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=279363&d=1301744738)

3GS and 4 share the same GPU(SGX535) but the 4 has 4x of pixel for GPU to handle. In graphic test, 4 is far behind than 3GS.

Very well, I guess time will only tell.

MBHockey
Aug 25, 2013, 09:50 PM
Went back to iOS 6 today. Instantly noticeable was how much faster the animations are. It makes the whole experience much better. Let's hope they fix it by the GM!

C DM
Aug 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
So how long should a phone be supported and should it be supported to the detriment of future technology? (which I believe would happen)

Yes they will, because they are looking forward, not behind. They don't want their software to be held back because people have old phones. Updates are not mandatory most of the time so people who don't upgrade hardware and don't upgrade their iOS can just NOT upgrade the apps.

I think technology would move much faster if it didn't have to look back at all. However, realty forces it to look back to some extent and I think there are consequences of that to both sides.

----------

----------

Let's agree to disagree. I think to some extent you're right but there is a point where that becomes untrue in my opinion.Apple stops support for hardware they feel that can't really use a new OS well. If Apple is still supporting the hardware with a new OS then clearly even they themselves are saying that it should be fine and not detrimentally affected by it (at least most certainly not when it comes to essential basics like just plain typing, as in the example that was brought up and discussed).

E2EK1EL
Aug 26, 2013, 01:15 AM
Went back to iOS 6 today. Instantly noticeable was how much faster the animations are. It makes the whole experience much better. Let's hope they fix it by the GM!

Bingo

SeenJeen
Aug 26, 2013, 08:02 AM
Yikes, this isn't acceptable... hopefully people are submitting this as a bug to Apple...

From what I've heard about iOS 7 laggy animations for older devices like iPhone 4S (when compared to iOS 6), I can't see myself upgrading to 7... especially since GM is just around the corner. Maybe I'll wait for a point release.

Gogurt48
Aug 26, 2013, 08:21 AM
Yikes, this isn't acceptable... hopefully people are submitting this as a bug to Apple...

From what I've heard about iOS 7 laggy animations for older devices like iPhone 4S (when compared to iOS 6), I can't see myself upgrading to 7... especially since GM is just around the corner. Maybe I'll wait for a point release.

Again, it's not that the animation is laggy, it's that you have to wait for it to finish completely before you can interact with your phone. I doubt it will still be that way in the GM.

Carl Sagan
Aug 26, 2013, 10:03 AM
Again: IT'S A BETA!

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 11:29 AM
Again: IT'S A BETA!And that means that design decisions are likely to change? And that also means that things of this nature can't be discussed?

How many times has "it's a beta" already been dealt with and addressed in this thread? Yet simply repeating that (without anything else at all) makes a useful post of some sort? :rolleyes:

Again: IT'S A DISCUSSION! ;)

TonyC28
Aug 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
Now that I've stuck with iOS 7 for a couple weeks I am starting to notice the animations less and less. They are definitely there, and I feel like I can navigate around faster than they'll allow, but it doesn't feel as annoying anymore. Someone using iOS 7 as for their first iOS experience probably wouldn't think twice about it.

bnnentertainmen
Aug 26, 2013, 11:47 AM
be positive dude, maybe the next update or the public release update will solve this issue;)

shandyman
Aug 26, 2013, 04:09 PM
And that means that design decisions are likely to change?

Yes, as the animation speed has changed through the betas so far

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 04:10 PM
Yes, as the animation speed has changed through the betas so farLet's hope that it is in fact likely then.

shandyman
Aug 26, 2013, 04:14 PM
Let's hope that it is in fact likely then.

Just pointing out it already has happened. GM will be the finished product, with the debug code removed, so should see a much tighter and stable build.

PBF
Sep 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
And it's OUT.

However slow animations is still a huge problem. Don't be too hopeful, iPhone 5s won't be any different. It's a software issue, not hardware.

And Apple did absolutely nothing to fix it.

darngooddesign
Sep 18, 2013, 02:03 PM
And it's OUT.

However slow animations is still a huge problem. Don't be too hopeful, iPhone 5s won't be any different. It's a software issue, not hardware.

And Apple did absolutely nothing to fix it.

Purely subjective.

The animations do not bother me in the least.

jared52
Sep 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
Purely subjective.

The animations do not bother me in the least.

Agreed here. It's not that long a delay to me.

sn
Sep 18, 2013, 02:15 PM

I swipe like that when I'm trying to flick through photos fast. Or through the app switcher. In those scenarios, waiting for each animation to finish before I can swipe again would be annoying for me.

I hope this doesn't also affect up/down swiping on long pages What about when you have a really long page and you want sort of 'flick' the page up to zoom past a whole load of text. You're going to have to wait until the page slows down, slows down, slower, down to a crawl, and finally stops before you can start to move it around again. Or hope that you managed to execute the perfect swipe and land exactly where you wanted it to. Which I'm sure you will because these things aren't a problem for you.

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 02:16 PM
And it's OUT.

And Apple did absolutely nothing to fix it.Don't think there's anything to fix in their eyes--it's like that by design (form over function).

Brittany246
Sep 18, 2013, 02:19 PM
It's not a problem for me. >_>

iBought
Sep 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
If it really is this bad and it is a software thing, than i will get fixed. People love to whine about anything. It's sad to read grown adults acting like babies over such a small issue.

Technarchy
Sep 18, 2013, 02:30 PM
Non-issue here

halg
Sep 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
maybe all you need to do is to hold your horses and be patient.

sparkyms
Sep 18, 2013, 02:38 PM
really not that bothered.. the main thing is its smoooooth.

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 02:40 PM
maybe all you need to do is to hold your horses and be patient.Why should anyone need to change the way they use their own device?

Brittany246
Sep 18, 2013, 02:56 PM
Why should anyone need to change the way they use their own device?

oh lord

Riverton
Sep 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
Why should anyone need to change the way they use their own device?

:rolleyes:

cynics
Sep 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
I'm on a 4S and it's not terrible.

Spotlight search is laggy and so is the message app. Apps I use a lot like tapatalk and Facebook are pretty smooth. Multi tasking seems ok to me.

The lag I'm noticing is not just animations. It's noticeably jerky/stuttery.

JayIsAwesome
Sep 18, 2013, 03:06 PM
I updated my iPad. No issues so far. Actually loving iOS 7

Altis
Sep 18, 2013, 03:15 PM
On iOS 6 with my 4S, I can swipe the home screen after unlocking while the icons are still flying in.

There is still delay when multi tasking though, but it's considerably shorter than in the video.

I was so excited for iOS 7 but it seems pretty incomplete, and apple killed my poor 3GS with a major iOS release. If only you could go back to the previous version after updating if you get issues.

TroyBoy30
Sep 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
You can't wait a mili second after unlocking. Wow

MA-86
Sep 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
What lag??? ios7 feels so smooth and modern! It's like I have got a new phone now! It's super fast and fluid where is needed!

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 03:28 PM
You can't wait a mili second after unlocking. WowYou can wait for no reason? Wow

----------

oh lordDidn't you say you had no issue and weren't bothered by it? Why bother posting in this thread if it doesn't affect you and you don't care about it. :rolleyes:

sviato
Sep 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
Are animations faster than iOS6? I use FakeClockUp on my jailbroken 4S to speed up animations and really don't want to go to slow ones

darngooddesign
Sep 18, 2013, 03:57 PM
You can wait for no reason?

I like small transitions and animations, they give it a more mature feel than just blinking information on the screen, so I don't consider it no reason.

-iKris-
Sep 18, 2013, 04:05 PM

Not me.

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
I like small transitions and animations, they give it a more mature feel than just blinking information on the screen, so I don't consider it no reason.That's good. And for others it's just as valid not to like that.

darngooddesign
Sep 18, 2013, 04:32 PM
That's good. And for others it's just as valid not to like that.

Feel free to point out where I said it wasn't.

darkgoob
Sep 18, 2013, 04:33 PM
To op:

I have been reporting this issue to Apple's bug reporter ever since beta 1 was released. I sent them videos similar to yours.

I can only conclude that Apple knew about this flaw but did not care, or decided it would be fixed later, maybe in 7.1. I suspect the problem has very deep roots in the OS and will take some real "doing" to fix.

I can say that after awhile you kinda get used to it and it's not as annoying as at first. But they still need to fix it; it's very non-iOS-like.

marksman
Sep 18, 2013, 04:35 PM
Doesn't drive me nuts but I don't have ADHD or OCD.

bitfidelity
Sep 18, 2013, 04:36 PM
The lag is definitely there. It feels like Android now.

The pinch to home screen animation is also DISGUSTING. Who the hell actually thought it would be a good idea to show a blown up, pixelated version of your icons during the animation?

Ram27
Sep 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
It's terribly noticable for me when unlocking directly to the music app.

I usually want to do that quickly to change a song or album or something, but it lags for two seconds before I can tap the back arrow or scroll. Ugh.

darkgoob
Sep 18, 2013, 07:17 PM
There are enough really awesome new APIs in iOS 7 that will enable tons of cool new apps to be made that I am willing to accept a small bit of extra UI lag, just like I was willing to accept a less speedy interface when I upgraded my IIfx from System 6 to System 7.

darngooddesign
Sep 18, 2013, 07:29 PM
...just like I was willing to accept a less speedy interface when I upgraded my IIfx from System 6 to System 7.

Just being able to change icons without ResEdit was awesome.

Zerilos
Sep 18, 2013, 07:39 PM
I guess I'm not fast enough for it to be an issue for me. Never been in a situation where I've needed to unlock my phone and open an app in less than a second.